Global MinoSharp 3 Ceramic Water Sharpener

Global MinoSharp 3 Ceramic Water Sharpener

Wouldn't be without one

I have used one of these for the past four years on both Global and other knives, even small Victorinox serated edge knives. Having watched the Global instructional video I have been able to keep an excellent edge on all my knives. As others have said, however, it seems to work best with Global knives.
I have had no problems with broken wheels, but recently bought a replacement fine wheel just to make sure it's working at its best.
Today I have just ordered my fourth sharpener, having now given one to each of my three adult children, all of whom appreciate a sharp knife. Two are Global fans like me.

Date PurchasedMay 2014

Very happy with this product.

Used on global and non-global brand knives with excellent results on Japanese, German and unbranded knives. Older knives have been renewed. Super easy and convenient to use. Unlikely to replace routine professional sharpening but has so far prolonged the time between.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Works as described.

Tried it on an old Global knife that has not been sharpened properly for years. Had to run the blades on each stone about 20 times. Sharpness feels almost like new so am very happy with the product

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Needs improving.

We have owned a set of global knives for about seven years and the sharpener for the same length of time. Once a month the sharpener comes out and I sharpen the knives. I can't say I'm overly impressed. The sharpener does a below average job. I've tried pull only strokes, push only strokes. Push-pull strokes. Light grip, heavier grip. Both left and right handed use and always with water in the reservoir. Other reviews have queried the strength of the wheels, whilst this has never been a problem for me they do seem like a weakness.

My sharpness test is the same as others. Grab an old sheet of paper and see how much pressure is required to slice in two. The sharpener does a job albeit not brilliantly well.

I recently bought three knives at a quarter of the price for use in another property. 5 months in and they are still as sharp as day 1- to be fair they ony get used 2-3 times a week. The global knives are losing their edge!

Date PurchasedJul 2009

Designed for Japanese knives

This product doesn't do a very good job on non Japanese knives because Japanese blades are angled differently. You will get a passable edge on a non Japanese knife but nothing to compare with the edge you can get on a Global knife. In my opinion this should be spelled out clearly in any on line product description.
Nice design. Well made.
It won't sharpen non Japanese blades very well.

Maintain your Global Knives with the MinoSharp 3

I have a set of Global knives which in my mind is one of the most important piece of equipment you can have in the kitchen. Over a period of several uses, I have noticed my knives becoming blunt. I normally grab a piece of paper and run it along the blades. If it doesn't cut through the paper without additional force, in my opinion the knives will need sharpening.

I have invested a bit in my Global knives therefore to maintain it's sharpness I've purchased a MinoSharp 3. Global recommends the use of the MinoSharp on their official website. It is a 3 stage set up where you first supply water into the sharpener unit (to prevent overheating during the sharpening process) and run your knives through each of the individual whetstones from coarse, to medium to the fine stones.

When I was using the unit, a firm grasp is needed to hold down the sharpener to your table as you are running the knives through the stones. This ensures for an even sharpening process. It does get a bit tricky when you try to sharpen the end of the knife closest to the handle - you end up manually guiding your knife through. I normally run my blades through about 20 times.

You don't really need to apply any force when sharpening. However if you do, take care as the wheels does feel like it can't withstand too much force so take care when using the unit.

After the sharpening process, I normally do another paper-cut test to ensure the knives are sharpened and lo and behold, the paper cuts with ease.

Overall the sharperner does its job very well. Build quality is very good with the exception that the wheels that holds the weltstones could be strengthened.
Sharpens knife really well with ease
Wheel axles could be strengthened

Great Sharpener but

I have use the sharpener about 10 times over the last few years , every time until today no problems, Despite using light pressure if any, drawing the blades back & forth, today the white wheel supporting shaft snapped in two
I have also noted that the heel & points are sometimes missed unless user is careful
Easy to use does a great job
Wheel support shaft may be faulty

Great Sharpener

I've been using this on my global knives for several months now. Very happy overall. It's the best 'simple' sharpener I've had so far (and I've tried a few). Probably not what a pro chef would use, but you need a fair amount of practice and co-ordination to use those pointy things. The minosharp is very simply - run the blade through the slot, use only the weight of the knife, 10-20x back and forth and bob's your mother's brother.
I haven't had any issues with the wheels cracking or breaking.
Easy to use. Effective
Pricey.

I expected better from Global

We used this sharpener a few times on Mundial knives and wasn't happy with the end result. The little wheels cracked despite only using the weight of the blade and not pushing down on the knife. The design of the housing makes them nearly useless for small knifes and the section of blade near the heel is missed altogether on any knife
Giving them back
Ineffective, poor housing design

Not designed for Mundial knives, global knives will sharpen along the whole length as they don't have a heel near the tang. Also replacement wheels can be purchased they don't last forever

is the minoSharp suitable for serrated edge knives?
I don't think so. Think it's more suited for normal edges.I've used the sharpener on vitorinox serated edge knives with good effect

What is the difference with the colours of the wheels?
The different colours represent the differing coarseness of the wheels. The coarse wheel will grind away more material, more quickly. The finer wheel will grind away less and leave a finer cutting edge. Always use the finer wheel last.Thank vry helpful

What is the difference between a Global Minosharp 3 Ceramic Water Sharpener and a Global Minosharp Plus 3 Stage Ceramic Water Sharpener ( apart from the $1.00 difference in price ) ? Thanks
It only comes as a "plus". Check the MonoSharp website. They just missed the "plus" here.

• GTIN14: 04543455522056 and 04543455550004