5Google Chromecast 1st Generation (2013)
Part of Google Chromecast 3.3

Google Chromecast 1st Generation (2013)

5Google Chromecast 1st Generation (2013)
3.4

63% · 105 · 31%
Brand Manager for Google? Claim your listing.

Karen Z
Karen ZSydney, NSW14 posts
  1st Generation

Useless junk, lagging, lagging and lagging

Don't waste your money on this useless junk. It's lagging on all occasions, even when you watch their own YouTube. Worst Google product possibly. If you really want to do mirroring, invest on a proper TV. Show details
Lukie
LukieLiverpool4 posts
  Verified 1st Generation

Great product with further opportunity

when the GEN 1 came out t was a must have, it offer the opprotunity to make any TV with HDMI to become a smart TV. This at the time saved Hundreds $ $ $ $, of the cost of purchasing a dedicated smart TV. In the way of limitations it would be great if it could be used with out the need of a network.

t18
t18Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC31 posts

Good fir youtube

Works well with youtube. My kids send the videos via their tablets and it is quite stable. Out internet do not seem to stream netflix as well and does paise to reload quite often. Think that is more an internet issue than anything to do with the chrome cast itself.

rcrowl
rcrowlBallarat6 posts
  Verified 1st Generation

Great little unit

Great little product, i can stream online programs through its inbuilt apps including Youtube, Netflix and Red,

I can surf the web using its Google app which is great, it uses the WIFI to download so no wire, i can also connect my Samsung S7 and view me videos ans music.

paproductreview
paproductreviewMacquarie 2614, ACT14 posts

Works well

Easy to setup.

I do not have a smart TV and I did not want long, messy cables.

I mainly use it for Netflix but I can easily cast other things from my PC etc.

When watching Netflix, I can use voice control from my 'Google Home' to pause, stop, fast forward, rewind etc.

John
JohnAdelaide13 posts

It's a little miracle

I just love my chromecast. Why do you even need to waste money on a smart tv? This thing does everything and more. Steady connection always never drops out. The kids bloody love it streaming youtube onto the tv from the ipad. The partner i love it as we stream netflix from out phone onto the big screen. Awesome and have recommended these to all my family and friends.

Victor
VictorSydney20 posts
  1st Generation

This product is excellent, using it everyday

I don't have a smart TV at home, I got this product as a gift from friends, however, I love it since the first time I use it. I am using it for Youtube streaming and the requirement for the bandwidth to stream high quality video is minimal as compared to other products.

Jason35
Jason35PERTH15 posts

Wow. Great even though I have an iphone

Wasn't sure If I should have bought this product as I only use Iphones. glad I did, works easily and perfectly without the need for a separate power. Mainly use it for Netflix but able to cast some other features as well. Easy to use. not hard to setup and connects to wireless network easily

Lauren
LaurenBrisbane7 posts

Best invention!

We LOVE our Chromecast! It meant that we could buy a cheaper TV and then use the Chromecast to watch Netflix, etc from our phones! We have had no issues with ours at all, its quick, responsive, easy to use, and a great invention!

We use ours all the time and have had no issues at all. Definitely recommend it!

Caltoro
Caltoro5 posts
  1st Generation

Used to be great, not any more

After changes were made to the chrome cast extension software certain developer settings where omitted. The settings were vital in fine tuning the device for streaming. Although the developers insist that these settings are no longer needed, i can no longer use the product. Currently looking for an alternative device for streaming.

Joni Yeo
Joni YeoPerth10 posts
David
DavidBalmain3 posts
  1st Generation

Definitely plug and play !

Worked first time with Netflix. Loaded app on iphone and Samsung - no issues. Would highly recommend. Purchased the Ultra version. Easy to use for any ages. Already downloaded google pictures to view iphone photos on the large screen TV! Only a small device and easy to move between different TVs. Faster download speed than TV wireless.

mssidanas
mssidanas

Incredibly annoying!

Watching youtube is like a game of russian roulette at times. So many times the device paused, unpaused, and changed the time in the video by itself. Im watching a video nicely when suddenly IT SKIPS TO THE MIDDLE, or SKIPS TO THE NEXT VIDEO, STOPS CASTING, SKIPS TO THE BEGINNING OF THE VIDEO, JUST GOES CRAZY! It's the most annoying thing ever when I pause my casting, go to a different room, and come back to the video paying from somewhere in the middle. I've probably sent above 15 official bug reports to chromecast, but it seems like they honestly don't give a crap. I'm pretty sure the amazon firestick will do better.

AGSyd
AGSydSydney10 posts

Worst customer service

The power plug was faulty and stopped turning on the device within 2 months. Had to operate on USB for months. When contacted Google when I really needed the power plug, they refused to replace the plug citing a month out of warranty. Worst customer service ever, put me on hold multiple times and after about half an hour of wasting my time, they refused to replace the pissy little plug. Never Google products again.

GGG8487