Grundfos SCALA2

Grundfos SCALA2 Questions & Answers

Bala N.
Bala N.

Hello Grundfos Team,

I am writing to inquire about my Scala2 pump which is two years old and currently experiencing lower pressure. The technician who inspected the pump suggested that it needs to be replaced since it cannot be repaired. However, I am concerned whether the pump is still under warranty or not.

Thank you for your help.

Grundfos   DM

Hi Bala N., thanks for your enquiry. Questions on this review website are handled by Grundfos Pumps Australia. If you are based in Australia or New Zealand we would ask that you contact the pump dealer where you purchased the pump and they should have a record of when the pump was purchased along with your proof of purchase. They should be able to help you determine if the pump is within the 24 month warranty period. Kind Regards, Aaron

Thomas V.

I purchased a Scala2 11 months ago--it has worked perfectly. However, was wondering is there any service required on a Scala2 on a yearly basis. I was told I need to check the air pressure on the pump (should be 25 pounds); is this correct? Is any other service required on an annual basis? No mention of this in the manual I got with the pump.

Thomas V.

No on amy maintenance, or no on having to check to see if air pressure is 25 psi? Thank you in advance for any insight.

Grundfos   DM

Hi Thomas There is no real service schedule, unless "winterising" the pump in conditions where the water inside the pump may freeze - if so refer to the instructions in the I&O.

Otherwise, the factory pre-charge pressure in the internal tank is 18 PSI, not 25PSI, so 18 PSI should be maintained unless the pressure was increased at installation. If it was increased to 25 PSI at installation, then this should be maintained to provide the same performance and pressure cut-in point. Under normal circumstances the pressure will not reduce/leak over time. Hope this helps.

Thomas V.

Thank you. You raise an interesting point, so normally one would not even check the internal tank unless the pump were continually starting and stopping.

Grundfos   DM

Hi Thomas - The tanks doesn't need checking unless, as you say, there's some cycling which is not explained by a leaking taps or other outlets. Under normal operating circumstances the pressure in the internal tank should be set to approximately 70% of the required pressure set using the control panel on the top of the unit.

Aldwin V.

Theres always leak in the bottom of the scala. In the strainer at the bottom. I change the gasket or the o ring.. theres a leak again and the o ring have a damage..

1ozflyer

This is a design fault of this product, read the negative reviews

Aldwin V.

Why the big o ring near in the impeller always damage when i put it back..

Newman C.
Newman C.

I have a Grundfis SCALA2 pump is now not working on the red light on and I need assistance here please

Grundfos   DM

Hi Newman, we're sorry to hear you might be having some trouble with your SCALA2 pump. We suggest you consult the user manual, particularly pages 16, 21, 22 to identify which red light is on and what that light might be indicating and contact the dealer you purchased the pump from as your first port of call. If you have worked through the problem with the dealer and you still don't seem to be getting anywhere then we would suggest you contact the nearest Grundfos Service Department to you. Where are you based? Kind Regards, Aaron

James P.
James P.

Red light on Scala2 pump stays on. what does this indicate?

Marlene S.
Marlene S.

I have a Grundfos Scala 2 at my cabin. I'm getting ready to close up for the winter. Any recommendations on draining the pump or is disconnecting enough? Mild winters, Vancouver island, BC
Thanks!

Grundfos   DM

Hi Marlene, thanks for your enquiry. ProductReview.com.au is an Australian website so your question has actually come through to Grundfos Australia. Admittedly, your scenario, and the problems you are trying to mitigate against aren't ones we commonly experience :). However, the principles we can share are going to be applicable. You need to unplug the pump from its power source (de-power it), drain the water out using/undoing the drain plug on the front at the bottom of the pump (below the bottom connector). Then unscrew the priming plug at the top of the pump and blow it out with an air compressor to try and get as much of the water out as possible. And just remember to reprime the pump with fresh water next year before you use it again. All the best, Aaron, Grundfos Australia.

Billie
Billie

We had a pump installed two years ago. It is now leaking from the bottom of the pump. We have replaced the seals and it's still leaking. It is out of warranty by three months. Is there anything we can do beside purchase a new pump?

Grundfos   DM

Hi Billie, Sorry to hear of the issues with your SCALA2 pump. To have your pump assessed please send a photo of the Pump Name Plate (the printed plate on the end of the Pump), the store where you purchased your pump from, your contact details and a detailed description of what has occurred (similar to what you have written above) through to GPA@servicesupport.grundfos.com so our service department can review the matter further. Kind Regards Grundfos Marketing

elcid
elcid

Hello, I purchased a Scala2 as recommended from my Plumber to help increase the water pressure in my home. As soon as the pump was installed, I did notice an increase and am happy with that. The problem is that water is pooling under the pump. The pump is not leaking but the water continues to pool. After 2 months, there was so much water it is now accumulating in the garage and draining in front of the driveway. I called the plumber to see where the water is coming from. He disconnected the pump and now there is no pooling. I am still not clear where the water was coming from. I have disconnected my pump and the pressure is low once again. I do not know what the problem is, and am hopeful someone here my know?

Grundfos   DM

Hi Elcid, In theory the pump may leak a small amount of water on initial start up and reduce ‘over time’, however if it’s continuously leaking water it should be replaced. Please return with proof of purchase to the Grundfos dealer you purchased it from. Kind Regards, Aaron

Wendell I.
Wendell I.

Had flow meter replaced a couple of days ago. Green pressure light is flashing. Haven’t ever noticed that before. Water inside house doesn’t seem like we have the pressure like before. Any help would be appreciated.

Grundfos   DM

Hi Wendell, without knowing the full set up and situation, I'm going to need to make some assumptions. I'm assuming the flow meter is not part of the pump so either that is restricting the flow or the pump set point or operating pressure is set too low. It should be 300 kpa or set between the 2nd and 3rd horizontal pressure markers on the pump. If you continue to have an issue after checking/correcting this you may need to get a plumber out to see what the problem might be. Kind Regards, Aaron

Natalie M.
Natalie M.

I want a pump for off-tiny house. There's two showers (indoor and outdoor), a sink, a handbasin, and in future I hope a spa pool. But all small, not lengthy pipes. Plumber recommended Scala2 3-45. Do you think this is suitable - will the variable speed reduce demand significantly on my existing batteries? Will it be quiet (ie not audible from inside house about 7metres away). Has the leaking problems discussed in the reviews been resolved?

1ozflyer

Hi Natalie, how big is your battery? No, the leak problems have not been resolved (read my * review). We had to wait over 2 month for a replacement for a identical pump. Get a cheaper pump, place it in a DIY box 10-20m from your house and buy yourself a more efficient fridge for the money you saved.

Mary G.
Mary G.

I have a SCALA 2 pump which failed in less than a year, it leaked everywhere. I have received a replacement pump same model which now needs to be installed. Has this issue been resolved by Grunfos? It sounds from all the comments above to be a very common problem. I'm concerned that this will happen again with the new pump. Also, I have paid a plumber to install the original pump and now again I will pay a plumber to install the replacement. Have modifications been made to the new pumps to stop this occurance??

1ozflyer

A modification has been added that is supposed to fix the issue. Unfortunately the modification (two metal brackets) do not address the issue at all. Whoever designed those brackets has obviously absolutely no engineering skills what so ever.

Grundfos   DM

Hi Mary, we can appreciate your concerns and it's completely understandable that if you've had a problem with a pump, you want to make sure that you're not going to have the same problem with its replacement. Please send an email to marketing-au@grundfos.com with details for how to contact you directly so we can discuss your situation further. Kind Regards, Aaron

Amsterdam
Amsterdam

Also have a scala2 here in Amsterdam and leaking via the insectfilter since monday. Drip drip drip and now damage at the neighbours and my house.

The cause is apparently two damaged rubber rings in the pump, caused by a faulty manufacturing quality issue.

Found a video clearly showing the issue and that it is a manufacturing issue which breaks the rubber rings inside. See the video, cann't understand the language, but shows the issue crystal clear. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad9PP6Uq_LE

Grundfos must know of this issue but still is not recalling the Scala2 globally and have it replaced.

Mark S
Mark S

Having issues with the pump , checked water supply from tank is at the pump , but pump will not start , any recommendations on what to check . Looks like there is a non return valve on the supply side ?. It's been installed for 18 months , no leaks , but now just sits there . Have carried out a manual reset but nothing apart from 2 red segments on the running led light on top ??????, any advice would be appreciated .

Grundfos   DM

Hi Mark, Sorry to hear of the issues with your SCALA2 pump. To have your pump assessed please send a pic of the Pump Name Plate (the printed plate on the end of the Pump), the store where you purchased your pump from, your contact details and a detailed description of what has occurred (similar to what you have written above) through to GPA@servicesupport.grundfos.com so our service department can review the matter further. If you are based in a country outside of Australia, please contact your local Grundfos service centre by visiting your local Grundfos website, going to the support menu section and click on "contact service". Kind Regards Grundfos Marketing

Kjell Aage O.
Kjell Aage O.

Hi, does anybody know from wich week number in 2021 Grundfos switched production from the scala2 3-45 with water hammer and leaking problems to the new reinforced model with the same name scala2 3-45?

Grundfos   DM

Hi Kjell Aage O., We have experienced some issues with SCALA2 units built prior to the end of 2019 suffered some leaking issues. If you need to have your pump assessed please send a pic of the Pump Name Plate (the printed plate on the end of the Pump), the store where you purchased your pump from, your contact details and a detailed description of what has occurred through to GPA@servicesupport.grundfos.com so our service department can review the matter further. If you are based in a country outside of Australia, please contact your local Grundfos service centre by visiting your local Grundfos website, going to the support menu section and click on "contact service". Kind Regards Grundfos Marketing

Yin S.

Hi, is there any way to purchase a service pack or spare parts that fix the issues with the Scala2 (mid 2021)?

I purchased the Scala 2 after reading that the known issues have been fixed and it has been running great for 2 years but unfortunately has started leaking days outside of the warranty period. I have called my dealer and they have told me there is nothing they can do...

I emailed Grundfos service and they told me to buy a new pump :(

I would just like to get my pump up and working again.

Jim

Hi Yin, unfortunately you will not get ANY HELP from Grundfos for a known fault of this particular pump. As you have read there are plenty of people who have the same problem and more than likely many more who have not reported it. Yes it a great solution for Grundfos when they say just buy a new one and that's just what I did but it was defiantly not a GRUNDFOS.
I did get a quote from a private pump repairer to replace seals and bearings for around $300 but thought.......why would I spend more money on a piece of crap like the Scala 2. Out of the 4 repair shops I contacted 3 of them said they won't touch Grundfos.....hmmm.
I am happy with my new purchase however I am very disappointed in what I thought was a reputable company with a great name being so downright unhelpful with a solution to an ongoing known problem.
Steer clear and spread the word!!!!

Yin S.

Is there an option for DIY repair? Is it too difficult to repair at home? If it's just a matter of replacing the seals every couple of years then I'm ok with that. Better than writing off a ~$700 pump.

Yin S.

Manufacturer warranties are separate from consumer guarantees under Australian Law. An $800 MSRP household pump should be expected to last longer than 2 years. Grundfos should not be selling a pump if there is a design flaw that results in major failure after 2 years. I'm not even asking for a replacement, I just want to know if there is a way to fix what seems to be a common issue...

Under Australian Consumer Law, goods sold must be of an "acceptable quality" and "durability". A manufacturer must provide spare parts for a reasonable time.

"Consumer guarantees are automatic and can’t be taken away. Warranties are extra promises that a business can choose to make on top of the consumer guarantees."

Grundfos   DM

Hi Yin, We are sorry to hear of the issues with your SCALA2 pump. We have experienced some issues with SCALA2 units built prior to the end of 2019 suffered some leaking issues. To have your pumps assessed please send a pic of the Pump Name Plate (the printed plate on the end of the Pump), the store where you purchased your pump from, proof of purchase (receipt/invoice) your contact details and a a detailed description of what has occurred (similar to what you have written above) through to auservice@grundfos.com so our service department can review the matter further. If you are based in a country outside of Australia, please contact your local Grundfos service centre by visiting your local Grundfos website, going to the support menu section and click on "contact service". Kind Regards Grundfos Marketing

Yin S.

Found a remedy. Support reached out and has agreed to provide a replacement pump since my pump failed within days of the express warranty.

Jim S.
Jim S.

I have a Scala 2, installed indoor and is plugged into a dedicated 120vac GFCI outlet. The application is where the Scala is drawing water out of a 6 foot deep tank located 20 feet away. It trips the GFCI about every 5th run or so. Everything works fine on a circuit without a GFCI. Thoughts on what's going on?

Grundfos   DM

Hi Jim, thanks for your enquiry. Unfortunately, this would be a matter for an electrician to investigate. Kind Regards, Aaron

1ozflyer

Hi Jim, I would never install a Scala 2 indoors. They are a great pump when they work, however even the improved version has a design fault that results in a cracked housings. Have a look at the many negative reviews, almost all have the same problem...

X 2

Ru B.
Ru B.

Don't need an electrician, you need to have the pump replaced under warranty or replace it with something else. What is happening is water is leaking past the mainshaft seal and into the armature housing and tripping earth leakage. If you put a moisture detector beneath the insect cover under the housing there will be a slow leak. Eventually a grinding sound will result as the bearings rust and fail. There are non OEM replacement parts available for this model to replace shaft/housing seals and bearings and the pump is not designed to be repaired by having the motor housing opened up. Thats the proper answer that the technical department should be telling you however the marketing department has been given the job of managing the fallout from this pumps poor reliability. Fortunately here in Australia we have reasonable consumer laws that are going to keep Grundfos busy whilst this pump remains for sale. There is one question I would like to ask Grundfos - how many replacement pumps have you sent out to consumers in the last 12 months? We would then be able to determine objectively if the problems of this pumps design has been fixed? Certainly the failures continue to be reported here. This is a fantastic pump when it is working - quiet, efficient, small footprint and easy to install but has a high failure rate at 2 yrs.

Maureen M.
Maureen M.

Wondering why my scala2 is taking so long to shut off. Water pressure to taps are good but after turning water off the pump runs forever? Any help out there?

1ozflyer

Check for leaks at the pump. Unfortunately the housing is very flimsy and often cracks because of a known design fault.

Pierre v.
Pierre v.

My SCALA2 is about 4 years old and has only worked on-and-off about 1 hour a week.
For no reason it suddenly did not "turn on properly" and it turns out that it has an "overpressure" fault (Fault 5). The supply is from a water tank at same level and there are no pressure devices at the house that could cause back-pressure. So, overpressure could not be the fault...
What remedy do I have?

AL_vin
AL_vin

Check bladder pressure. Most likely, no more air in the bladder.

David
David

We have had a Grundfos Scala 2 for 5 years. After a year or so the pump would cut out after the tap was turned off. After a pause the pump would have a second go at it and then remain off. As we are off grid on an island (small cottage) we tolerated this. Lately the water pressure began to oscillate especially in the shower. We increased the setting on the pump to counter this and it seemed to help but lately the pump does not shut off at the higher setting so we reduced the setting and are living with the oscillating rate of flow. With the higher setting the pump gets up a pressure of about 70 p/sq/inch or 480 kpa. without shutting off. would value any advice.

Jim

Consider yourself very lucky that you got 5 years even though it wasn’t running properly for most of those years. Order another brand of pump and have it on standby as the one you have is going to die soon. . No question about it. A pump with a fault that Grundfos will neither admit to nor fix…..so it appears.

1ozflyer

Mine pact it in after 12 month...
Just a thought, if the pressure pick up (sml hole, typically) is partially blockt it can cause issues like this. I would presume the pressure sensor is somewhere near the control panel. Good luck.

Gillian C.

We had a Grundfos Scala2 3-45 installed in 2020 as part of a major home renovation/addition. It is used to supply our house from the rain water tanks. In March 2022 we noticed that it was leaking underneath and took it back to the supplier who tested it and provided us with a completely new pump under warranty. Disappointingly the replacement pump is now leaking the same as the first one but the original 2 year warranty has now expired, even though this pump has barely bee used for a year. Really starting to question why we spent so much extra to get what we thought was a quality pump when they appear to fail every year or two. Was there a recall on this one? What do you suggest we do?

Ray
Ray

I would complain to Grundfos. Considering what you pay for the unit, it should last many years. I have seen this problem mentioned in other reviews so they must be fully aware of the problem. Get into them.

Gillian C.

Thanks Ray. Someone that appears to be from Grundfos often seems to answer people's questions on here so was hoping they might comment.

Grundfos   DM

Hi Gillian, We are sorry to hear of the issues with your SCALA2 pump. We have experienced some issues with SCALA2 units built prior to the end of 2019 suffered some leaking issues. To have your pumps assessed please send a pic of the Pump Name Plate (the printed plate on the end of the Pump), the store where you purchased your pump from, your contact details and a a detailed description of what has occurred (similar to what you have written above) through to auservice@grundfos.com so our service department can review the matter further. If you are based in a country outside of Australia, please contact your local Grundfos service centre by visiting your local Grundfos website, going to the support menu section and click on "contact service". Kind Regards Grundfos Marketing

Hi Gillian,

I'm in the same position as you. My pump failed days outside of warranty. Did you end up resolving the issue with your pump?

Get an answer from our members and Grundfos representatives