Semi Gloss, High Gloss, Low Sheen
See the Best Paints & Varnishes in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Haymes

4.2
  • Coverage
  • Finish Quality
  • Longevity
  • Ease of Application
Daisie71
Daisie71AU

Excellent alternative to oil based enamel

I painted the skirtings and window trim with the high gloss Ultratrim enamel and was very happy with the result. I painted two coats as one was not enough coverage. It was dry enough to recoat after 5 hours (may have been ok sooner but I didn’t check). It didn’t dry too fast and allowed me to run the brush over it a few times to get a smooth finish amd it levelled out nicely. The paint dried to a nice gloss, not as glossy as high gloss oil based enamel, but closer to the semi gloss look that I actually wanted. I’m really happy with this paint.

Purchased in April 2021 at Haymes for $60.00.

phil o.
phil o.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Yellowing under 12 months

Painted large extension (80sqm) with a lot of trim. White high gloss. Noticed the hallway has started to go yellow already.
Very disappointing. Looks like it needs to be redone already .
Thought it was the best paint to use going by all the reviews.
Not happy.

Purchased in September 2019 at Paint Spot.

Painted SurfaceWood
Pike
PikeBNE

Magnificent

Excellent product. I'm simply astounded by the quality of this solvent-based enamel. It reminds me the very best British and Dutch oil/solvent based enamels I was trained to work with 20+ years ago in the UK. I'm no longer in the trade, but this paint rekindled my love for the work from the days past...
You need to have the skills, be reasonably fast and have a good quality bush, but the experience is worth it - you can feel the brush, the cut, the pull and the paint responding to your finest strokes ... with your eyes closed - a pure pleasure to work with and the results are simply magnificent. Also, this enamel is very forgiving.
Well done Haymes!

Purchased in June 2019.

Adrian B.
Adrian B.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Takes forever to dry but need multiple coats. Not recommended.

Got from Paintright in Wiliamstown, followed advice, but after three weeks working on cupboard doors, two coats both sides, very long drying times I'm ready to give up and go back to water based paints. If the paint is slightly too thick, top dries but tacky underneath, causing rippling effect which means waiting days and days to let completely dry then sand and start again - one step forward two steps back. I have used enamel paints before and I know they are tricky, but Haymes was the worst.

Purchased in May 2019 at Paintright Williamstown for $40.00.

Paints & Varnishes

Find out how Haymes Ultratrim Enamel compares to other Paints & Varnishes

TonyCoffs Harbour NSW

The best of all of them

This review is based on my personal experience painting my staircase and baseboards.
Tried everything else and after lots of frustrating results with the so called best paints I used this water based enamel. It’s very simple in my opinion, if you want the best finish and feel you use this paint. Period.

Date PurchasedJune 2018
DavidF
DavidFGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Top of the range.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
John151
John151AU

Not enough body

Have just had painter do all our internal doors with this product (my choice of product, based on reviews). While end result looks okay to me, he suggested that the paint didn't have enough "body" compared to the Taubmann's equivalent product he normally uses. On the positive side, used less paint. However, in light of painter's advice, a bit disappointing considering price paid

Date PurchasedOct 2016
Gwyn
GwynSydney

Fantastic paint for woodwork

I'm very happy i've discovered Haymes Acrylic Ultra enamel as i always preferred the finish of an oil based enamel however after experimenting with this product i'm converted as it gives a fantastic finish , dries fast and dries hard as an enamel should which most other water based enamel s fail to achieve.
It's very easy to apply not as good a coverage as oil base but much quicker to apply and the quick drying no smell and non yellowing seals the deal. Mix with a little flotroel and it flows of the brush perfectly allowing plenty of time to lay off.

Lara
Lara

Excellent quality and coverage!

I was nervous buy water based enamel, having always used turps based but was pleasantly surprised by the quality and coverage. Not as shiny as oil based (which I was happy with), and easy to clean up two coats over a sanded and primed door and frame and my old house is looking lovely again!

Paints & Varnishes

Find out how Haymes Ultratrim Enamel compares to other Paints & Varnishes

John Cobbby
John CobbbyMelbourne

Good Aussie Paint for Aussie Art

As a full time artist, ex painter and decorater, the painting formula that i use for art requires a base coat for canvas's and boards that has to be quick drying, high gloss for lumanosity and self leveling to be a perfect flat painting surface for me to work on. It also has to be durable,hard wearing and stand the test of time, after experimenting with many products Haymes Ultratrim gloss came up trumps, of course all these requirements also make this product the ultimate wood work and trim finish.
self leveling and high gloss

Mel
MelTerrigal

BEST WATERBASED AQUAENAMEL I'VE USED

As a pro painter, this is the best self leveling product in it's category, I've tried enamacryl(resene)Aquaenamel(dulux)Aquatrim(Wattyl) and taubmans black label and easy coat door and trim none compare, to it's self leveling characteristics, it is a really white,white as well.
Australian owned and Made bought in NSW a Bristol store sold it to me, hadn't heard of HAYMES before.

Traditional enamel still harder