Heller HOIL5 / HOIL7 / HOIL9 / HOIL11

Heller HOIL5 / HOIL7 / HOIL9 / HOIL11

HOIL9, HOIL7, HOIL5, etc...

Heaters Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of heater would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

3.4

• Smell Yes (1) · No (1)
Casa

Casa

Safety issue - DO NOT BUY

Bought this from Dick Smith, after 2 days it made a loud bang and sprayed hot oil everywhere with black smoke. I have reported to ACCC to get the heater recalled for safety. I read an older review on here from 2 years ago of a similar issue. Wish I had read it before I bought this heater. Seriously bad safety issue do not buy.

Purchased in July 2020 at Dick Smith for A$65.00.

Safety
Room Type Large Bedroom and Small Bedroom
Smell Yes
Unhappy mother

Unhappy motherSouth East Queensland, QLD

Don’t buy

Brought it 2 months ago to warm up my 3yr old room and it barley took the chill out the air and it stopped working all together brand new cost me $80 so not happy my old one lastest me 6 years and warmed it quite well this one how ever is such a disappointment and of course when it stopped working my man decided he could fix it and pulled it apart ... no he didn’t fix it and now I can’t claim it under warranty will not be buying heller again

Purchased in April 2020 for A$80.00.

Safety
Heating Speed
Temperature Consistency
Room Type Small Bedroom
Smell No
Andy O.

Andy O.

It heats alright BUT produces constant loud crackling sounds

I've had two of them (replaced by Kogan) and both were producing loud crackling sounds, very annoying!
Yes it heats the bedroom but keeps you awake. Do not buy this heater.

Purchased in March 2019.

Electric Heaters

Find out how Heller HOIL5 / HOIL7 / HOIL9 / HOIL11 compares to other Electric Heaters

RayHobart, TAS

FINesse

This heater is amazing for smaller rooms like bathrooms and compact offices! Its maximum power is the same as larger heaters, so it heats faster! With 3 heat settings, it is better than 2 on my 25-year-old, 11-finned heater of another brand. I have always avoided small versions because of large rooms in the house I sold. This heater suits small apartments!

Date PurchasedSep 2018

BAFLEGeelong, VIC

New carpet now needed - can't give less than 1 star

We had the 5 fin model for less than 2 months. It was purchased from Kogan. The heater was purchased to take the chill off the air in a small bedroom. It was effective at doing the role until one evening the heater decided to split the seal around one of the fins. Oil leaked from the fin into the carpet and underlay.

After the leak, the heater did not shut down. If this had occurred when we were asleep we do not know what could have happened.

If you are tempted to purchase one of these heaters please seriously consider the health and safety of those you live with.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Happy shopper

Happy shopperMurray Bridge

Good little heater

I bought this for my babies bedroom this year to keep him warm in winter. The 7 fin heater kept his room nice and warm. We only had to put it on 30 minutes prior him going to bed to take the chill off the air. Energy efficient too when the doors are closed. I'm happy with this heater unlike some other heaters I have purchased

ImNoRobot

ImNoRobotNSW, 2204

Best purchase for my winter nights

I needed a heater to be able to go through the night without feeling like I was in the Arctic. Since my bedroom is quite small, I started looking at compact - and relatively safe - heaters. Came across the Heller OIL5, and bought one unit at a great price. Honestly, this is one of the best purchases I made this year, considering the cost-benefit involved. Also worth mentioning that I had no big impact on my electricity bills.

tami45

tami45Sydney

Heats a smaller living room or an average bedroom with ease

This is a great heater for an average sized bedroom. Our bills are now less in comparison with running ducted air con, we only have it on on very cold days. I recommend this heater to anyone and it is great value for money and very efficient. The warmth that it radiates is very pleasant and does not dry my skin, unlike air con.

Maria

Maria

Much needed oil heater this winter

We purchased our oil heater just before the winter months kicked in and I tell ya I'm so happy we did. We have ducted in the home, however my favourite would definitely be the oil heater as it feels like a natural heat coming through..and it definitely warmed up the home just as much as the ducted did. Very happy with my purchase

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Kathyp

KathypAU

Perfect for or house

We have recently been using this heater for our lounge. Our bills are less and our room is heating nicely. I recommend this heater to everyone! There is a timing setting that allows us to set it for the morning before work and then set it again for when we get home.

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Jams

JamsToowoomba

Fine

It heats a small room up quite well. My dog likes to cozy up near to the heater. It does take a bit of time to heat the room and probably uses a lot of electricity in doing so, but we wanted something that was easy to put away and this appeared good at the time. All in all, it works fine so shouldn't complain.

Cara Wood

Cara Wood

Good basic heater.

I'm happy with the Heller 11 fin oil heater as it heats the room up quite quickly. I also like that it has s timer. I can set it to come on and off at intervals and have it heat up my home 30 mins before I get home from work.

linz

linzPerth

Does the job

It can take some time for this heater to warm up and may not be suitable for a big room but as long as you stay close to it it keeps you warm. I purchased the 9 bar oil heater and I am quite happy with it's quality and price.

Ryan S

Ryan SAdelaide

A cheap way to keep warm

I find my ducted heating to be too expensive to run at night time and heats up my bedroom too much. This heater has been the perfect answer and keeps the room at a constant temperature throughout the night without making the room stuffy, and it is cheap to run which is a major reason why we bought it.

lizzy

lizzyAU

Warm and Comfy

We moved into a rental with no heating, so we saw the Heller 11 bar oil heater and for the price it was selling for we bought it. The lounge room it was to keep warm had no doors to close off from the hallway so we put a set of curtains up and had the heater going at half pace, wow we were so warm and cozy, definitely recommend this product.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Chrissy

ChrissyMelbourne

Does the job

Have been using this Heller heater for the cold winter nights. It keeps me warm but it can take a while to warm up, especially if the room is big. Well priced for what it does. May not be the best heater but it does what it needs to. If you're looking for a reasonably priced heater this is a good deal.

Nick

NickByron Bay

Good for small rooms

Would have liked a longer cable to be able to move it around easily. Good to warm up small spaces but can take a little while to feel the room all warm. Happy with the purchase in terms of service and price, however, I would consider another option for bigger spaces.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Sarah L

Sarah LCanberra

Great heater

It is the best heater I have ever used. It is very fast to warm up the whole room and does not dry the air seriously. And it also can be used to dry clothes or towels. But the size is kind of big and it may only be suitable for big rooms.

yue teng

yue tengvic, 3174

nice in the winter like this

ibought this heater last year and i have beenusing this one since then.the heater can warm up the room quickly which is nice as i have no conditioner. i can set the time so i wont over heat the room as it is can be dry if i open it for long time. it is a good product with low price i like it

Date PurchasedJul 2016
lucas

lucasmelbourne

THIS IS PERFECT

We bought this to keep us warm in a one bedroom apartment. We like the extensive and easy to follow controls which allow you to set tempartures and heating levels. This heater is used in the bedroom. Heats the room quickly and very well. You dont need to sit on top of the heater, emitting plenty of heat . Not too hot if accidentally touched. Control panel is easy to use. Once the room is warm you can turn the heater down to maintain cozy temperature.

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Paul R.

Paul R.asked

i have a holler 11t how much is it to run for an hour

Ray

I worked out my cost using the electricity bill. When the heater and room are warmed up, timing the thermostat for 'on periods' and 'off ones' for about 10-15 minutes gives you a percentage of the overall power used. The thermostat could be 50% (on and off) for a 1,100-Watt heater = 550 overall etc. That's more than half a Kilowatt/hour, which was a rate of about $1.10 per hour for my HOIL5 when I left Tasmania in 2019. Add the service charges for 3 months and divide by the heater's hours of use. For example, 3 hours per night comes to about 279 hours per quarter, multiplied by $1.10, for me.

If that seems complicated, just use the 'cents/hour' for the power tariff on your bill for now. Anything above 1,000 Watts will boost the cost. For example, a 1,500-Watt heater might be half as much again as the tariff cost, and a 2,400-Watt one might be $2.40 per hour, but take into account the thermostat, which could bring the cost down to 50 Cents or $1.20 or more per hour, especially in the middle of Winter!

Living in a sunny room in Winter helps a lot!

Angela Mortonasked

HOIL5 / HOIL7 / HOIL9 / HOIL11

Hello, do we have to use both switches ( the ones with red lights) when they turn back on?? Not sure whether to use only one switch or both - please help ??

BAFLE

Turning both switches on will cause the heater to heater up faster but use more electricity.

Ray

There is one switch for each of the two heating elements. Only one switch on will use half the power, but two is better for faster heating. Both on will heat the walls and ceiling of a room faster, maintaining a better on/off cycle for the thermostat. In cooler weather, only one switch on might cause the thermostat to remain on permanently in a cooler room.

RicStar

RicStarasked

HOIL5 / HOIL7 / HOIL9 / HOIL11

My newly purchased Heller oil column heater keeps switching itself off

BAFLE

The thermostat will cause the heater to reach a specific temperature and then turns off. If the heater is turning off more often (even on the highest setting) it could be an electrical fault with appliance.

Ray

I first noticed that my heater's thermostat turned off very readily, even at a comfortable thermostat setting! Waiting for the room to warm up can take more time, so firstly turn the thermostat up higher for a short time. Then turn it back slowly until it switches off. A comfortable room temperature will then be maintained.