See the Best Naked Bikes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

the perfect bike

I bought my 09 CB400 Revo back in 2012 with 1500km's on it , its now got 61,000km's on it & man what a trip its been , i've done all kinds of riding from around town / weekend day runs/2 big distance 4 day rides of which the 400 was the smallest bike of a group of 10 , but it easily kept pace with the bigger machines , its a very comfortable bike on long journeys -rode it Nowra to Melbourne & the Great ocean Rd once too , its also been a very reliable machine with only normal tyres/chain n sprockets/oil n filter/plugs etc & a very economical bike too except when you want the VVT to operate but i guess the fact that the VVT gives nearly double the normal power it would be ok to use more fuel lol, in short i'd say its the best all round bike i've owned & at 60 years of age i reckon it'll outlast its rider lol.

Purchased in December 2012 at Honda Nowra for $8,000.00.

Noise Level
Fuel Efficiency
Gear Shifting
Handling
Suspension

For a truly classic bike it's by far the most loved and popular bike from the Honda range.

I currently have a 1980 honda Cb400 super dream t model motorcycle. Power beyond belief especially for a bike that's almost 39 years old and still fast and driving perfectly.

Purchased in April 2013 at Private seller for $900.00.

Noise Level
Fuel Efficiency
Gear Shifting
Handling
Suspension

awesome bike in lams class

mine is 2009 model, with no abs. Bought it in 2017 with 35K ish kms on it. Use it mainly as a daily commuter.

Pro: smooth 4 cylinder engine, smooth gearbox, low seat height so it's friendly to smaller riders, comfortable seat and riding position, adjustable front forks(preload),good acceleration for a learner bike when vtec kicks in. Never had any mechanical issue.

Con:

Throttle has this on-off feeling from idle to actually moving on the road (1400-3000 rpm), nothing dramatic but still noticeable.

Front suspension a bit soft for aggressive riding style.

No much torque at lower rpms, you need to keep it in right gear and power band to get proper acceleration

Higher fuel consumption, roughly 6.5-7 litre per 100 kms, i have a screaming demon slip on exhaust and i ride in urban traffic with lots of aggressive 0 to speed limit acceleration so that may affect, but still it needs more fuel than other single/twin cylinder bikes in this class.

Expensive major service every 24,000kms

Date PurchasedApr 2017

awesome bike, very reliable.

I took the hyper VTEC Revo for a ride and it just took me to heaven. I felt like I was flying on wheels. I loved every moment of it and I would highly recommend getting one as it is one fantastic motor bike. live, love, laugh and enjoy the great out doors on the Hyper VTEC Revo.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Unbelievable bike!!

It has a speed of 150km in 9 secs , it is also very safe with an extended seat as well as a turbo 5 cylinder engine this baby made my life a lot easier. When compared to what is out there in the market this is by far the value purchase of the year

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Best Bike, You will never want another!

Best bike ever, can't fault anything for a 400cc. I have had it since 2015, brings smile on my face each time i get on it. Fun for city trips and about, would do motorways/highways but would prefer biker bikes. Best all rounder, sad they have discontinued this model........i know people are dying to get their hands on these nifty ones. ☺

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Realiable bike for beginners

I have been riding for many years and experienced quiet a few different bikes and recently I had a chance to ride a CB400 LAMs for half of the day.

The first thing I noticed was how quiet it was,
I was quiet surprised with the amount of grunt for a small 400cc bike.

I was expecting acceleration frustration but it seemed powerful enough to get you going fast enough for the roads.

Pros:
1. Enough power
2. easy to control
3. cheap
4. very good mileage

Cons:
1. too quiet
2. sounds like an electric bike
3. Good bike to start but doesn't have the cool factor

Date PurchasedJul 2017

The Best Bike I Have Ever Owned!!

I can't find any fault whats so ever with my CB400. Best bike I have ever owned. Would recommend to anyone, lams rider or not and there are not many bikes that look better either. Mine is the 2012 white, red and blue model with gold wheels and its only got a cheep Delevic but sounds angry as hell when V-TEC kicks in!

Date PurchasedJan 2017

I'm In Love With My Bike

I've had the CB400 for nearly 6 months, put a good 4,000kms, went on a couple of nice road trips, commuted for a few weeks 60km a day, done some easy peasy maintenance and I find that this bike has everything I ever wanted. It's solid, it's well built, I love how chunky it is and the upright position, the seat height is perfect and that V-tech kick just adds lots of fun to the whole experience, it pulls nicely when it kicks and roars like a sporty bike, very much fun.

It's a very forgiving bike, the breaks are just great, I don't have ABS and have had to break hard quite a few times didn't have a problem.

The more I look at it, the more I add kms to it the more I'm in love with its performance, its looks and its sound.

I'm really happy with it.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Perfect

I have owned my '08 cb400 revo for one year now since getting my learners and it has been nothing short of an absolute pleasure owning this bike. The bike is beautiful to look at with classic lines and a lovely sweeping tail, it sounds amazing especially after throwing on a Yoshimura r77 the VTEC note brings a grin every time (always accompanied by a few crackles & pops), and the bike rides really well feels planted & stable when cornering hard... having ridden a few other bigger lams bikes (650cc twins & fours) I always find myself aching to get back on the cb... it's just silky smooth & easy to ride fast. It is also incredibly comfy and can be ridden for hours on end without any aches or pains.

It's a bike that does everything REALLY well that looks & feels like a premium machine, reliability is as you'd expect from Honda - superb.. one of my best purchases ever & seriously considering keeping the cb beyond my lams period alongside a super sports.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Excellent Bike

I just went from a 125cc Honda to a Yamaha R3 to the CB400. I've got to say, it just feels great to handle and yet has loads of power and roars like a lion, awesome great bike. I hope to have much fun with it! It's the second day I have it so I am not confident enough to treat it rough, yet I revved it like no other!! seriously great bike!

Date PurchasedDec 2016

A great quality bike

I am on my 2nd CB400 and love them. I learnt on an older model and decided to upgrade a year later. I looked around and considered a CBR 500 as a contender also but went with the CB400. It is a well built bike, reliable, good quality and safe. I would recommend them to anyone. I enjoy riding it and it has enough power to be fun and nifty enough to throw it around a bit ..... yes its a bit windy at times but hey .. and yes the gears can be a bit notchy but you do get used to that over all its a smooth ride. Certainly a good learners bike.

Piece of Crap

Bike sucks man always stalls , clutch is crap just everything sucks sucks sucks , hate this bike , sold it for $5 , not really but that's how much it's worth , seat always gets hot as in the sun and burns my butt all the time worst ride ever

SO TRUE WHEN PEOPLE SAY THE ONLY BIKE YOU WILL EVER NEED IN YOUR WHOLE LIFE

I bought my 2011 CB400ABS in 2013 and i honestly cannot live without it. Shes a beauty to look at, and an absolute pleasure to ride. Almost no faults at all, these CBs are not a big "small bikes" or a small "big bikes" but are perfect in every scenario.

East to learn on. Easy to master. I also strongly suggest buying an ABS model CB400 as the nissin pistons and ABS work like a dream. Fuel tank is monstrous and will last you ages, and VTEC makes her sound like an formula one car.

Also if aftermarket modifications is your thing, than you can make this bike look like a streetfighter, speeder, workhorse or a cafe racer for chump change. They can keep up with litre bikes and are nimble enough to slide with ease through city traffic.

Thai Airways International should rename and rebrand their slogan "smooth as silk" because that slogan actually belongs to honda motorcycles XD all in all a timeless classic design with the unbeatable reliability that only honda will offer. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED 5 STARS

Perfect first bike

My 2012 CB400A has been a great first bike, was comfortable and didnt miss a beat on a recent 850km round trip. It Kept up with larger bikes (1200's). The bike has been lowered to suit me at 5 feet 2inch tall. You won't regret the purchase, build quality is excellent.

I've never been so happy like this with a purchase, Japanese built, like a Samurai sword.

This is my second bike, stepping up from a 125cc. Despite already having a full license, I bought this one, brand new. It was either this or a slightly used Ducati, I'm glad I went with the CB400. It just looks better and more masculine, especially the black color scheme with the new 10-spoke rims. The power delivery is linear and refined. The super bike-style construction, inline 4 VTEC engine is as smooth as silk. No vibrations! I love revving this machine. It feels as if it will never break. Absolutely solid! Zero to 60 in 5.8 seconds! That is Porsche Carrera territory.

After the break in period, I replaced the all-too-Japanese-polite stock exhaust with a screaming, Spanish-made IXIL exhaust (street legal with baffle). Now the CB400's sounding roar has been unleashed.It's cornering characteristics are very inspiring. I could get the peg feelers scrape the pavement with confidence and sharpened like pencils. But it won't lean more than 45 degrees due to physical limitations (pegs, suspension sag and tyres). All in all, this bike is something I could pass on to my grandchildren.

The only bike you will (realistically) ever need!

I like many people that will review this bike recently got my motorcycle licence... 3 months into it however it was time to get my own bike and having spent 12 months drooling over the prospect of a new Triumph Street Triple 660 I put on my savvy pants and found (at 162km's on the odometer) a practically new 2010 CB400 at a brilliant price (around half that of a brand new one). The day I rode it out of the showroom was my first time on a road bike since doing my course and I had an hours ride home... Needless to say despite having my heart set on the Trumper this bike did not and never will disappoint and I have fallen in love with it and riding in general... The power delivery is smooth even when the VTEC kicks in (yo) at around 6300rpm depending on the throttle position, the suspension is firmish but responsive which for me is what i'm used to in a vehicle and it makes me feel a little more secure, the brakes even without the ABS like modern examples have, work effectively... After riding that trip home which was both my longest trip at the time and also the first time out of my local area I jumped off without any sort of pain or cramping... It is fantastically comfortable and the seating position is relatively upright which is good for learners like myself... Of course it was a while before the engine was properly worn in and just before I had I purchased an IXIL slip on muffler which is and essential for anyone looking to further tidy up the look of an already tidy looking bike... With this you finally get the full sound of that angry 4 cylinder at max revs which is utterly glorious... With no baffles it's like riding a flame spitting box of rice bubbles with all snap, crackles and pops you could ever want.... I have had my CB400 for 3 months now and already i'm deliberating wether this is going to be a lifer for me because although I have every intention of buying an R1 in the future, the Honda CB400 is really the only motorbike you could ever need, learner or not... :)

The mighty CB400 - Looks amazing, sounds even better, and will treat a new rider very well

I bought a new 2014 plated CB400 around a month ago. I was hesitant at biting the bullet with this bike due to the price tag. After going back and forth between the CB500 and Yamaha’s MT-07 I took the plunge and laid out (the rather large) investment for my first bike. The CB400 had won.

The thing that really strikes you with this bike is the build quality; it’s easily the best built bike in the LAMS class, with arguably the MT-07 a close second. It is clear Honda built the bike without reservation of the end cost; as opposed to the CB500 which I feel they had a dollar amount in mind before production.

The CB400’s performance is adequate and lends itself perfectly to a new rider or even a commuter. VTEC is satisfying and offers thrills and exhilaration when in this area of the rev range. The bike corners well, it feels very well balanced which inspires confidence when turning in.

As far as negatives there are few, one being the inherent design of a naked bike and freeway riding. It is pretty windy and lighter riders may find themselves getting blown around their lane from passing trucks and some cars. Nothing unmanageable though. The other issue is the gearing; 110km/h in 6th gear puts you at the cusp of VTEC, 7000rpm. Now this doesn't sound like an issue but it does get somewhat tiring on longer trips. Otherwise the bike is geared well.

Now for the sound, wow! I’ve heard the CB400 being referred to as the “screaming banshee” and with an aftermarket exhaust on I now know why. This thing sounds amazing! Sure the idle is still pretty quiet and you may find yourself longing for the lumpy grumble of a V-twin or L-Twin, but once you hit VTEC all those feelings will melt away (depending what your into of course). Proper super bike sound..yum!

So what do you need to know?...Is the CB400 the fastest LAMS bike? Probably not, I think the MT-07 takes this title. Does it corner well? yes, it loves the twisties and it’ll out-corner many LAMS bikes depending on your skill level. Will it beat my mates R1? Only if your mate can’t ride or is a fish. Why is it so expensive? Build quality and Honda, enough said.

At the end of the day this bike does exactly what is was designed to do, it looks amazing, sounds even better, and will treat a new rider very well. I highly recommend the CB400, but don’t take my word for it, ride a few different bikes and see where you end up.

So over 12 months on I just wanted to do a 'long term' review. I have had zero issues with the bike, the things I mentioned above are still applicable. The bike sounds amazing, handles beautifully, has proven its reliability, looks amazing, and is relatively comfortable. The bike has had enough power to keep me interested for my learning period but admittedly I'm eager to get something with a few more horses. Although I could happily keep this bike if I had to continue to my P2 licence. The gearbox is smooth, fuelling is spot on and the ABS has been handy. It is genuinely the perfect LAMS bike. As a comparison, a friend of mine bought an MT-07 around the same time and we have done a lot of riding together. I Can't say I've been overly impressed by the Yamaha's looks or performance despite the media hype, all personal preference though. If I'm being honest, the only thing about the Honda that annoyed me was the high pegs which made my knees hurt on longer rides. Something that isn't a deal breaker, but I did notice it. This bike has been around forever and Honda have continued to improve it. Honestly you can't go wrong if you choose the CB400.

Best all rounder!!

Bought 2006 model, which is Carb VTEC spec3, but it doesn't bother me at all. bike handles very lightly, easy to manouver. I rode most types of road with my CB400. including city, suburban street, speed humps, freeway. Bike is fast enough for suburban street, always fastest on take off from traffic light even though I'm not trying to be. Bike is just light and fast, but big enough/ sturdy. Really feel the tyre size of 120/60 front and160/60 rear. When VTEC kick in which is about 6500rpm it get really loud and I can feel that bike is pulling rider! Braking is very good and strong enough. Even though its cost extra $$ than other similar capacity bike its worth it. A lot of after market parts are available on cheaper price than other bike such as Ducati, or Trumph. Also CB400 is made in Japan. CB400 is best selling naked bike in Japan, so they must be doing something right!! If you dont believe me, go test ride one, you will NOT waste your time.

Best Lams Bike without Question

I bought my 2011 CB400 in August 2013 with 400km on the clock, and have done over 6000km in the 4 months since then.

I absolutely love the bike and am happy that I went for it, despite the extra price tag.

It comes much better equipped than its 250 and 300cc competition (e.g. 250CBR or 300Ninja) and is faster than both.

Other bikes I have ridden include the 500CBR and 659 Ducati Monster, and not even the much more expensive Monster was a match for the CB400. Like someone else has noted already, they have a bit of torque but no drama about them at all. What I mean is that on the CB400 you feel like you're on a race bike that just wants you to go hard. The Ducati on the other hand is docile throughout the rev-range, and the CBR500 is downright boring.

While the Monster is somewhat heavier, I think the CB400 still feels very planted through corners and isn't easily upset but passing trucks or unexpected gusts of wind. The 250CBR on the other hand gets thrown around like a bicycle and the 500CBR isnt really much better in that regard.

The CB400 is definitely the best performing LAMS bike available and I can totally see how some people would be happy to keep this bike permanently, although I will admit that personally I’m beginning to feel the need for more speed.

The only real negative I can think of for the CB400 is that ABS is not only NOT standard, but is not available on all colour schemes, which kind of sucks, because I knew instantly which bike I wanted, and it was not available with ABS.

And for all those that have listed excessive wind as a negative for the bike, honestly guys, don’t buy a naked bike and then complain that it doesn’t have wind protection. If you want fairings then buy a bike that has them. Simple stuff.
Quick, Reliable, Beautiful
ABS only available with particular colours.