HSBC Platinum

See the Best Balance Transfer Credit Cards in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

CategoryBalance Transfer Credit Cards and Rewards Credit Cards
Card TypeVisa
BenefitsComplimentary Travel Insurance and Introductory Interest Rate
Minimum Credit Limit $6,000
Minimum Income $40,000
Additional Cardholder Fee $0 p.a.
Minimum Repayments3%
Rewards ProgramHSBC Rewards Plus
Points Earn Rate 2 points per $1
Points Conditions
  • 2 points per $1 spent on overseas purchases

• 1 point per $1 spent for all other purchases

This is capped at 10,000 points per statement period.

Contactless PaymentsApple Pay and Google Pay
Rates & Fees
Purchase Rate19.99% p.a.
Cash Advance Fee3%
Late Payment Fee$30
Annual Fee$129 p.a.
Foreign Transaction Fee 3%
Interest Free Period 55 days
Cash Advance Rate21.99% p.a.
Introductory Offers
Introductory Rate 0% p.a. on interest on purchases for 12 months
Balance Transfer Rates
Balance Transfer Period 12 months
Balance Transfer Rate 0% p.a.
Balance Transfer Fee 0%
Release dateJun 2007

Best credit card ever

Firstly I’ve been a HSBC customer for over 10 years, I was overseas for 14 years and the HSBC credit card was the best in support, I always use it overseas without any issues. Transfers are very easy although I don’t do it on the app but through their website, the rewards program is a big advantage for me as we spend on our HSBC credit card and have many automatic payments through this credit card. To give an accurate picture we redeem $50 Coles/ Woolworths gift cards easily almost a month with no annual charges and can expand repayments to 60 days interest free. The best value credit card I’ve ever had and I’ve experienced all the “other” banks... You will have your own premier customer representative which you can solve anything with, I highly recommend the HSBC premier/ platinum credit card.

Card Start DateJanuary 2016
Main Point of ContactPhone
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping, Overseas/Travel and Special Purchases

Good Credit card features

The card offers good features with no additional cast as the annual fee is refundable once user spent 6k a year.
The lucrative feature included 2 airport lounge access and access to Frequent value rewards program. In short, if you are looking for to save money while you are spending the reward program is beneficial for you to access. The only cons I can think of is the app on the phone and on the website, the company needs to have a second thought for improvement.

Card Start DateJune 2019
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses and Online Shopping

Worst Bank out there, beware

Wanted to balance transfer from another institution and their 0% rate lured me in. Upon being approved they asked for some additional documents. Fine. Sent them my last 3 pay slips and end of year tax PAYG statement all good. Then they asked me for a bank statement to confirm address. Not sure why as I already gave them my drivers license and address is also included on all payslips. Sent them that too (the top portion of statement showing address. They rang again this time asking for the statement for proof of deposit of salary. Still complied and sent them the statement with salary deposits showing and rest blanked out. They rang me insisting they want to see every transaction. Completely unreasonable. Withdrew application. Such a painful process. Why not explain what you need from the beginning? So hard to communicate with all of them too very poor English by all of them on each phone call so frustrating. Local bank my a$&@ Never again.

Application Process
As an addendum, maybe they should ask for a transaction history rather than a bank statement (if they know the difference), I would’ve said no from the outset.

Great credit card, poor app

Great credit card considering you can usually get a fee waiver and you will get a good points ratio plus interest fee periods. The android app is one of the poorest banking apps out there. If an app is important, this may not be the card to you.

Main Point of ContactOnline
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

No fees but still points, accepted most places

No troubles with this card, there's still solid rewards but I have not earned many points. No fees, and accepted at more places than my Amex card. Would recommend it for easy no hassle card.

Fee free but still has platinum features

I have had the HSBC Platinum credit card for nearly 3 years the only reason I applied for the card was the fee free and still have the platinum features. Other cards have better rewards program but depends what suits the individual. But recently I purchased overseas accomodation online with the card and the online travel company closed down. With a small amount of correspondance I was refunded the money in full. Couldn't be happier.

Card Start DateOctober 2016
Main Point of ContactOnline
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping and Overseas/Travel

Great card with points that are worth having the card

Very satisfied with the card and the excellent customer service both locally and overseas.
Had my card details stolen a bit over a year ago and everything was resolved in a timely manner.
Love the card controls which allows me to select the countries the card works in and what services can be used with the card.
The rewards points allow me to get gift cards from major stores each year.
The only drawback is a cash advance fee for some online purchases which are considered cash advance but these can be avoided once you are aware of it.

0 Fee

Got it under 0 fee for life offer. Never had any trouble since last 5 years. Not a regular user of CC. But whenever short of enough funds and bills are due, it has always come handy. I liked HSBC so much that we have even got home loan from it as well. One of the lowest rates.

Card Start DateMarch 2013
Card / Account Used ForOnline Shopping and Special Purchases

Fee Free

Joined during the fee free promo hence no annual fee on this card for life. I have used it overseas and found it as good as any brand I have used in the past (however I have since applied for the HSBC Global Debit Card and that is perfect for overseas transactions). I used my points for credit on my balance and although the points accumulate slowly due to a lot of point expempt rules due to the face I do not pay for the card its a nice extra. Auto redemption can be set up so very easy to redeem. Recommend this card and especiallty the HSBC card products.

Card Start DateOctober 2017
Main Point of ContactBranch
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses and Online Shopping

Long long time ago

I applied HSBC credit card 9th June, means 2 and 1/2 weeks ago
They only send me message we will contact you as soon as possible
I have't received any call or email after I apply card
I visited HSBC bank and get an answer, wait
Don't waste time with HSBC again

Absolutely hopeless in resolving issues.

After using HSBC credit card without any problem for several years they blocked it due to a suspect transaction. During the process of verification they realized that my birthday date was incorrectly recorded. Instead of correcting it, they insisted that I have to repeat the entire ID checking process again. I refused and all was ok for another year when another security issue promted them to ask me for my birthday date. They had failed to correct it and therefore again blocked my card. This caused great distress as theu simply refuse to correct it even after sending them copies of my passport and drivers license.

Credit Card call center is useless

They don't know how to use HSBC transaction account to pay Credit Card payment. It is ridiculous. I have been transfer from the banking team to credit card team then credit card team wants to transfer me back to the banking team since they don't know the answer.

Dispute Since February for a not recognised transaction.

I have been using HSBC for good 10 years now. 5 years in Australia. HSBC Australia is terrible. Both branches in Melbourne are full of inexperienced people. I thought couldn't get any worse, but yes my friend, the HSBC Credit Card customer Service is even worse.
I submitted a Credit Card dispute in February for a not recognised transaction after my car and wallet stolen. I tried absolutely everything to receive at least a formal feedback. Nothing.
I called at least 5 times, sent emails, lodged complaint using the secure portal...and they always send a polite email saying they will call me back in couple days, but nothing.
Their customer support is polite but not effective, they just don't solve our problems.
Thank you.

the customer service centre is staffed by incompetents no wonder they get bad reviews

the customer relations team are a bunch of morons my card was not issued with paywave i was told to ring up to get fixed just got the runaround have sent emails asking for a paywave enabled card to be sent again received a lot of stupid reply's hows this one. "'we would like to inform that your card is currently not a PayWave card"now that is after 4 emails asking to have my card paywave enabled MORONIC!

Terrible IT system finger cross for the security capability

Took me several attempts to start using their internet banking. Their IT system are at best pre 2000s. Finger cross that their security system are able to detect unauthorized transaction on the internet.
Update on user experience in 3 months time.

Terrible - stay away

This is probably the worst credit card that I have ever had. 55 days interest free is a joke as they will commence charging you interest on all purchases at the end of the billing cycle, so purchases made the day before the end of the cycle.

The balance transfer system although painless to set up, the actual repayment when coupled with retail purchases appears to be what ever suits HSBC to get as much interest as possible. It is unclear how they apply repayments ie. balance transfer first, retail purchases first or a combination.

Then, to try and get a logical explanation from Customer service is appalling with some serious attitude applied.

Avoid this one. I am going back to my previous card.

Expensive and unclear

Not worth it

Despite being on a platinum card and paying $129 a year for the privilege, there are few (if any) benefits that you can actually use.

The other thing is the 55 interest free days of credit isn't actually true. There's some weird calculation behind it - and if they direct debit early you are screwed.

The customer service is worse - no authority to do anything and they spend forever making you wait, then verifying you with lots of personal questions (some are fair in the name of security) then they say they can't help you, transfer you to someone else who repeats the authorisation drill. Shocking waste of time.

Bank is crying for help

I was being upgraded to platinum some years ago. It has been renewed twice, but they sent me a regular card (not a platinum one) at my last renewal. I called them, they promised to send me the correct card. It has been 6 months since I rang, the card never arrived. I was being charged with platinum card annual fee (at around AUD120) which I have paid months ago, yet my card doesn't look anywhere near a platinum card. I think they're just trying to rip me off.

Good service

I was upgraded free to this card after having the normal credit card with HSBC. Good service... Any call even from overseas was dealt with promptly and with courtesy. It has good rewards and I always end up with several store vouchers around Christmas. Statements are easy to understand. The only downside which probably happens with other banks as well is that if you mistakenly don't pay the whole amount, (I paid all mine one month except 9.00) you get chsrged a lot of interest on items you have purchased that are on the current statement. it seems the only way to stop the interest accruing is to pay the whole amount on the current statement to bring it back to zero. That part can be confusing....
Prompt, courteous, easy to deal with.
Interst accrues on current statement if ther is a very small outstanding amount..

Good

Great card, if you have the means, and the need for the included goodies. Who wouldn't want their own concierge attached to their credit card!!
If you have the means, this is an excellent card!! Credit limits are very generous, and there are many exclusive type functions attached to the card. Great rewards program, excellent and easy customer service both online and phone, included travel insurance, concierge service for everything from accommodation to tickets in relation to entertainment etc. Just give them a call and they organize the rest and inform you of the details. As easy as that!!! A great card for a specific market. Not a cheap budget card for sure, but for the extra cost compared to what you get for the annual fee etc, it's a small price to pay and well worth it. I love mine, and wouldn't use any other. HSBC are more than happy to adjust credit limits when appropriate, and the process is simple and easy....as is everything with this card!!