HSBC Platinum Qantas

HSBC Platinum Qantas

See the Best Frequent Flyer & Travel Cards in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Worst ever credit card application process

Agree with some previous reviewers. Had issues with call centre asking me the same questions again and again multiple times. I was asked so submit copies of the documents that contain my personal details via email - this gives you an idea how they respect your privacy. They simply don't care. My application was refused with no reason provided, where is with Commonwealth bank and Amex everything went smoothly and both applications were approved the next day.
I have a feeling that HSBC does some undercover activities in Australia and pretend to look like a decent bank offering different products.

Rates and Fees
Application Process
Main Point of ContactPhone

Fine. Don't expect the World!

Sign up promo was never added to account and online web app and photo app is 0/10 but otherwise to works and the fees are not awful but better options do exist.

Good Credit Card, Fairly Good Rewards Programme

Switched to this card when the annual fee on my ANZ Qantas Visa became ridiculously high.
Earn Qantas points at 1 point per $1 up to $2500/month, then ½ point per dollar. Can’t earn points on BPay payments, which is annoying if that’s how you pay for utilities, but it's still better than the points earned on my previous card - even not counting BPay payments, I earn more points with this card.
Has the ability to lock out overseas transactions, and if you do, you can choose specific countries to allow if you’re going overseas, trying to pay for overseas accommodation in advance, or tend to shop online on overseas sites.
I didn’t have any balance to transfer, so can’t comment on that.
Has a 55 day interest-free period which I use to minimise the interest earned.
The application process didn’t take too long & from memory I received my card within 10 days - might have been less but it was nearly a year ago, so can’t remember exactly.
At the time I compared all the cards with Qantas Rewards Programme, and this one stacked up best in terms of points earned & annual fee - the interest rate on purchases was so similar between all the choices it didn’t make a difference.
I’m happy with this as my primary credit card.

Rates and Fees
Rewards
Application Process
Main Point of ContactPhone
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping, Overseas/Travel and Special Purchases

I start to doubt...

My application is being processed and they have already given me reasons to doubt their competence....
Feel like they don't have their facts together before they call you.
I submitted a document online and 30 mins later a guy called asked me to submit that same thing. Maybe their system needs more time to F5? Ok, fair enough. But what would you say about other things I submitted online only to have them emailed me a day later to ask again(?!?!)
I agree with the other review about their call center! There is this weird accent they put on that make it a real pain to talk to them over the phone.
I'll update this review once I go through till the end. Let's see.

Doggy card - Stay Away! (points are not included for all shopping)

HSBC Platinum Qantas Credit card claims to give you a qantas point for every $1 you spend. But it doesn't say you that there will be only few places where you can get the points. I have spent more than $3500 to get 60k bonus points and I have been told that I can't get the points for paying electricity/gas/water bills, car rego, taxes, etc. This is rip off they charged me $200 yearly fee. Customer service representative was unprofessional and didn't know about their all exclusion list and they expect us to read their full terms and conditions before taking this card.
Stay AWAY from HSBC loyalty cards.

Took forever for balance transfer

I just applied the HSBC card to take the advantage of 35,000 bonus Qantas FF points and the 6 months interest free on balance transfer.

The application process is more complicated than many of my other applications. Not only do I have to submit copies of my passport, driver's license, rates notice and pay slip, I had to go in person to a post office for ID check.

I then discovered that in order to enjoy the 6 months interest free, I must apply for balance transfer during the application of my card. I was asked to go to a branch to add the application for balance transfer, which I did. I was assured that the application shall reach the credit card department the next day.

Well, 1 week has passed and the application form has not arrived with the credit card department. I called everyday (note, none of the staff was Australian. They all have some kind of accent that you hear with telemarketing) with no success.

The balance due date for my other credit card is due in 2 days so I asks them to just issue the card and forget about the balance transfer, it won't make it on time.

Very poor service. If they can lost my application form, how can I trust them with my money? I'm very surprised that a world class bank such as HSBC would lose my application.

I still haven't got the card yet so I can't tell you the experience of using such card. But already I have a very bad impression of it.
Bonus 35000 Qantas points. 2 free Qantas club access per year
Balance transfer took forever, rather complicated application process