Hyundai i40 VF

Hyundai i40 VF

Enjoying our Hyundai i40

My husband and I purchased our i40 just 4 weeks ago and we are really enjoying it, the fuel economy is fantastic, we still haven't topped up since we purchased it. Love the interior, runs quietly and we were surprised at how quickly we picked up speed with the foot down, we were expecting a little lag. The only thing I would slightly complain about is the passenger head rest isn't as comfortable as I would like. This vehicle is so spacious, no complaints here and the boot, great size for all my shopping and Bunnings trips.

Purchased in March 2019 for $13,500.00.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Disappointed

The Hyundai i40 wagon. The good, looks stylish inside and out,fuel economy good,performance good. The bad, rear seat is very difficult to use,awkward to get out,lady's with a skirt will find it difficult to preserve modesty.automatic transmission does not like 50k/h speed limits.In economy mode the transmission keeps changing up and down,very annoying,in sport mode the transmission holds a lower gear but revs high.In summary a very stylish car, more at home on roads of 60k/h or higher.As long as only children use the rear seat, it would be fine for a family car.Good road manners and very easy to drive.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Hyundai has come a long way since my Hyundai Excel days

I last drove a Hyundai in the 1990's when they only made the Excel - so I was very pleasantly surprised by the i40, which I drove for 2 weeks around the mountains in Switzerland.

I rented the diesel wagon version, and it drove easily on the freeways at 120kph, and winding mountain roads with 4 people and loads of bags on board. It even handled the snow and ice without faltering due to great traction control (and snow tyres). Fuel economy was pretty good considering the load and speed.

I liked the integrated Apple CarPlay which made it super easy to control Spotify while driving, and the built-in GPS was great too. Two minor annoyances were the stupid song it played when starting up and shutting down, and the fact that the boot lid leaked rain into your back when you opened it, but otherwise it was a great car, and a pleasant surprise given my low expectations.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Great family Wagon but issues start coming up

It's quite a good car it looks great. Decent size and big boot for family duty. I have the premium variant which has every gadget you can get in other expensive cars
Fuel consumption is good. Can get 900km out of a tank normally

I wish it has a larger diesel engine as the 1.7L diesel struggles a bit
I had the sat nav unit replaced 3 times but luckily all done under warranty
The A pillar does block off the vision badly so it's kind of dangerous in a dark carpark.

After 3.5 years of ownership I started to have problem starting first time. It cranks but it doesn't start. Have to try another time then it starts up. Had problem with the shift lock when i press the brake it doesn't disengage the gear shifter. It could possibly related to EPB (electronic park brake) warning light I saw before. Hopefully I can get the fault fixed asap as it's my mrs' car and always travelling with 2 kids.

The dealer I went to always said no fault found so it's quite annoying

Engine Size1.7
Date PurchasedFeb 2014

I love this car

I love this car!
After the complete bomb of a Holden Barina we had see previous review.
The i40 is comfortable the interior has had thought put into it & does not feel cheap.
So many little features to love, non tinny sounding Bluetooth, all the features you need on the steering wheel without looking like a NASA launch control system.
The ride is smooth, the steering is responsive, the flappy paddles actually work and are responsive when changing gears.
The engine never sounds like it is struggling & is quiet so beautifully quiet.
Road noise is low I think they could have done a little better but it's not of any concern.
Fuel consumption is good not the best in the market but far from the worst, it's probably right in the middle.
Sport mode actually works!!
How many cars have you got in where sport mode means nothing more than your engine sounding like it's full of golf balls.
Okay now dislike & there are not many.
•Head lights could be better but some new blue bulbs & problem fixed.
•Thoes bubble head light covers look a little stupid, just saying.
•The flappy paddle gear shifters behind the steering wheel feel like a plastic Chinese toy, although they do work well & are responsive.
The centre console is a bit wide I'm 6 foot 1 & I have to lean across to get to the radio on off button.
And that's about it I had never owned a Hyundai before but I honestly love this car & I really didn't think I would before I saw and drove it.
As far as reliability 90000 km so far & not so much as a hiccup.
Very happy good work Hyundai.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Terrible sales service

When I had the test drive, I noticed there was no CD player. But the salesman said "oh nowadays, people use iphone/ipod, so new cars generally do not have CD player anymore. Do you use iphone? If yes, it'd be easy. I'll teach you how to play the music from your phone."

But it's not true! Many of the cars still have CD player nowadays. I trusted the salesman's words and regretted that. Now I have to download talks from CD to my laptop and then to my phone before I can listen to them in the car. :( :(

Their GPS is so so so unstable. Sometimes the program hanged and sometimes it shuted off while I was using it for directions when I was on the road. It was frustrating. The direction suddenly ceased. They said I can bring the car in to do a software upgrade, which will take a few hours if I book a service with them.

Engine Size1.7
Date PurchasedMay 2017

Amazing Car and Fantastic to Drive.

The i40 is so beautiful to drive and also has all the bells whistles you could imagine, sun roof, assist parking, etc. It has plenty of room, with great leg room in the rear. Boot space is excellent. Very well appointed, leathers seats and seat warmers, stereo was OK, paddle shift on steering wheel. Good boot space and normal spare wheel. Auto sensor lights and wipers were good. Fuel economy was a bit poor around town but on the highway was excellent.

BadgeElite
Date PurchasedSep 2015

New 2016

Just got one after reading all the reviews and doing comps. Very comfortable and spacious 2.0 GDI Active Tourer. Put my own GPS in and some sheepskins. Will do the tints next. This was just what I was after - a car with comfort, economy and reliability. Definitely not after performance or I would have got a V8 Calais or Mazda6.

These are heavily discounted at present and dealers will negotiate accessories.

My wife and I both love the style. They weren't around for a while but the latest update is full of features and great looking. The road handling is smoother than anything I have ever owned and I have had LTDs, Fairlanes and quite a few Japanese cars.

After a year and 20k kms I still love this car and appreciate it more. The gearbox is great, including the flappy paddles. Attention to lots of small convenience items differentiates i40 from a lot of other cars. The economy is amazing and it doesn't lack get up and go regardless of some reviewers. We don't all try and drive like Jeremy Clarkson or value turbos like magazine writers.

The comfort is fantastic and the finish is top class.

Rod, November 2017.

Jan 2019.. Nothing has changed in my view, still a great car. 30,000 kms of trouble free comfortable motoring. 7l/100 kms economy. I tow a one tonne boat and trailer a bit and it does it easily. I'm not keen on some cars with items that can give trouble like dashboard GPS, dual zone auto climate control, sunroofs etc. so I'm very happy with the base Active wagon in petrol. It has cured my fast driving habits which is welcome with so many speed detection devices out to get you for a couple of kmh over the speed limit. This car has enogh power for overtaking and makes it easy to do day long drives.

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Engine Size2.0

Finally own the perfect car!

Costs about $30 extra to fill up than my old car (petrol) and I'm getting more than double the kms out of a full tank & it lasts so much longer (diesel) 400:980
I'm so happy with my decision.. Was tossing up between the i30 and the i40 but the i40 for room and having family & friends in the car it's far better.
I wasn't too fussed on getting the luxury model, the car still looks amazing every day.
The boot is huge! The only problem I've found is that the opening isn't big enough to fit a massive plastic tub into. Still fits in the back seat because the doors open really wide but that's it.. Nothing else bad about it.
All round good family car.. The model I have is very elegant & it makes me happy every time I drive it

October 6th 2017 Update: PERFECT , upgraded & its SO WORTH IT!!

Super smooth drive, brilliant around town and even better long distance .. heaps better because you're travelling in style!
I've got the leather seats , full panoramic sunroof that opens, heated and cooled seats, satellite navigation tinted windows it's perfect. I could. It be happier with the space this car has. It's only noisy when you have the sunroof open or the windows down, it's so quiet.. I love driving my car everywhere!
I love everything, the cup holders are perfect, the leg room is even better 5 adults fit comfortably so brilliant for a family, I'm beyond happy with my upgrade because I had the i40 sedan active model beforehand and it didn't have all the brilliant features like this new one does!!
The running costs are the same as the sedan, Hyundai is just kicking goals with this wagon :-)

Bang for your Bucks!

Just bought a 2013 i40 and what a car!Needed a run about for the minister of finances(wife) and our 2 kids, and this ticks all the boxes!
Drove an Elentra and found it lacked power and felt very tinny!
But jumped in this beast and has a really solid feel to it and the design internal and external in amazing!
Huge boot and plenty of leg space for passengers with seperate aircon in back......a must for WA summers!
Plenty of power on the open road and the car feels alot bigger than what it really is!
Love the front led lights that give it a very European look and with 2 years left still on the warranty why buy anything else!
Well done Hyundai for raising the bar!This won't be my last Hyundai!
One very happy customer!

TransmissionAutomatic

Drives very well, but annoying faults.

LIKES: I have the i40 Premium CRDI. It is one of the most comfortable cars I have owned. It handles well, looks great and has a large load area. It has a panoramic roof and leather seating, along with many features which are found on much more expensive luxury cars. It is economical, although not as efficient as stated on the specs. On two 1000km plus trips it used only 5.8 litres per 100km. Just using it around town, it uses around 8 Ltrs per 100km.
DISLIKES: It has the most annoying rattle in the dash area, which so far, the dealer hasn't been able to find. I have looked at other blogs and it is common with this model.
The steering wheel leather is peeling off at only 57,000 km.
The Map/Navigator has decided that it has to do a full set-up every time I switch it on. All favourites and history are wiped each time it is turned off.

Engine Size1.7 litres.
Update on my above comments! Windsor Hyundai in Western Sydney have tracked down and fixed the rattle in the dash, replaced the steering wheel and are approaching the manufacturer of the radio/navigator to do an out of warranty replacement. My thanks to Windsor Hyundai for their professionalism.Update..!!! I also found some play and a rattle in the steering which was checked for me by Windsor Hyundai. They found that the whole steering column needed to be replaced. Summary: The navigator and the steering column were both replaced under warranty by Windsor Hyundai. Once again, thanks to them for their great service. I have now traded the i40 in on a VW Jetta, my first European car. So far, so good.

2016 Premium option sedan or don't.

Ergonomically poor experience (Active- budget base fleet option) 2 days driving seat cavity between bolsters turned shoulders inward- headache, backaches neck strain. Ended up with seat professionally retrimmed cost $600

Elite or premium seats are electronically controlled, would be different.

Driver's knee still knocking console/door handle, elbows with doors during city driving.
Getting in, slide seat back and then correct or you get twisted and wedged. Reverse for getting out. Gets annoying after 8 or 9 times daily

Can't see past A pillar at junctions/roundabouts
Dual clutch yields terrible acceleration allow 5 seconds extra from standing and merge.(Can understand why the government professional drivers don't buy now)

At 6000km in still don't trust it to accelerate when I need it. Reliability isn't in question, cold mornings (less than 10°) transmission is a bit slow

Economy okay, driving attitude is obviously comfort biased unloaded and with passengers is a bit more settled but Active stock wheels / rubber tyre wall starts to roll, keep the tyer pressure correct to alleviate

Annoyingly the brakes pads will blacken rims every 400 ks or so, forcing the inevitable clean up for appearance proud owners

Heavily dependent on sensor detection all round, be certain to set mirrors correct for parking and large overhang at the front requires caution

Again, lane assist is in higher spec models. Sat Nav is important, don't be fooled that you can fit aftermarket to a base model. You will lose speed /volume control and better factory Bluetooth microphone

Simple aftermarket fitment of LED interior lights are possible (less than $15 for CANBUS ) to change the nicotine yellow lighting to a more substantial efficient product that helps soften the budget buy

Boot space is reasonable, split fold seats get obstructed internal arch support and low hanging goose arms limit gross capacity

Engine Size1.7 CRDI

the fast car

hey,
Done about 25,000km so far, 3,000km odd towing a small 15ft boat and/or trailer with camping gear.
Only one warranty issue (seatbelt latch) which was fixed quickly.
Got the manual Blue Drive version with engine stop/start at lights, exceptionally economical, usually get mid 5lt/100km driven normally and mid 6lt/100km if driven quickly, towing or if doing lots of short trips on a cold engine.
1st gear in the manual is a little high when towing and taking off on steep hills is hard on the clutch, although the electronic handbrake works well once you get used to it.
Only put around 700kg-800kg on the back, claimed towing limit is 1800kg on the manual but seems unlikely it would handle it so never put anything larger the back.
Steering is also a bit vague but the suspension is biased towards comfort so as long as you aren't expecting something sporty then the steering isn't really a big problem.

TransmissionAutomatic

A good looker, so refined,but doesn't know what's going on in my mind.

Hey big spender, you'll get your money's worth with this car. It is replete with all the technology you could wish for at a reasonable price. Plenty of bang for your buck in terms of extras and wonderful 5 year warranty. It is still a head turner.
I complete my 3rd year of ownership in Jan 2016 having done 35,000kms. I said I would sell it after 2 years but it is doing the job just fine.
What does it lack to get the extra star?
Improved fuel economy ( maybe diesel would have been the go.)
Oomph...I've owned an Alfa and an MG , you would think this car would know what I like.....but then again I'm not 25 anymore. Life is more sedate and so is the i40. I do compensate by having the panoramic sun roof open!
Up to Date maps with the Sat Nav system.
I have a question mark over the aircon but will get the car serviced soon so issue may be solved.
Even after 3 years there is still enough technology in this beauty to keep it at the top of the heap.
Update : now into its 5th year and still happy with the car. In fact, have added another Hyundai , an i30, through my daughter's purchase of one. The 5 year warranty is hard to beat.

Date PurchasedJan 2013

Good car overall

Drove a few wagons before buying the i40, also tried the Superb, Mondeo & Mazda6, Settled on the i40 as it was the quietest on rough chip seal by far, the most economical and had the most comfortable ride.
Only one warranty issue (seatbelt latch) which was fixed quickly.
Overall it is a good car and we've been really happy with it. Not sporty but comfortable, quiet & economical for family trips.

BadgeBlue Drive
TransmissionManual
Engine Size1.7l

Fantastic to Drive,

Built Jan. 2015, I traded my 2012 mod. ix35 diesel which only had 18,000 on the clock. Reason for swapping too rough a ride, definitely no other problems. The i40 is so beautiful to drive and also has all the bells whistles you could imagine, sun roof, assist parking, etc, etc,I have not had my 1500 first service yet, but I know how Hyundai looked after me previously. It's a shame they have stopped making the i40 because it certainly has sleeker lines than it's replacement the Sonata.

Engine SizeThis is a 2L self aspirated

Awesome car!!

Simple for me it is a fantastic package for family car, got everything you need and brilliant fuel efficiency. I use this vehicle for a business private driver and most of my clients give me 5 stars because this what they needs a good riders, I have done 30k and due service coming expect a new pad disc replaced. When I purchased the car dealer gave me a per free services for 1 years!! I had toyota and Honda sedan for many years before this but yet i40 is the best car

Engine Size1.7 Diesel
BodySedan
Updating: I have done 104,000 km. No problem with everything. I am thinking buy another HyundaiI have done 126k km so far. Once again no problem with car.

Great car, excellent used car choice

We bought a 2011 i40 Premium diesel wagon, 3 years old with 37,000 Km for $24,500. The remaining 2 years of warranty brings piece of mind. For the money we got climate air, HID headlights, electric leather heated/cooled front seats, rear view camera and great diesel economy.

Engine Size1.7 L
BodySedan

Great drive and amazing economy

I got a new turbo diesel i40 in May 2013. I love it! Beautiful to drive with so many great features. the economy still amazes me getting over 900km around town, and between 1200 - 1300 on the open road. I took it from Canberra to Adelaide without the need to refill it! It is a little gutless when you floor it , but as I ended my drag racing days many years ago this is not an issue. My only real concern is the Sat Nav. The Sat Nav is hopelessly out of date and after 15 months, National Capital Motors STILL can't update it. this main issue is Canberra is expanding rapidly and many of the new suburbs simply do not exist - I have to use my phone. But suburbs that have been inhabited since 2009 are still not in there!
Driveability, economy, features, space
Sat Nav,

BodySedan

Good car but epic fail on fuel economy

When we were in the market for a new car, our requirements, in order of preference, were fuel economy (it had to be better than our previous car - a 2005 Corolla), safety, then boot space. Everything else didn't really matter much at all. We looked at Ford Mondeo, Mazda 6, Subaru Liberty and Forester but none came close to the reported fuel economy of the i40. Fast forward almost 4,000km and we're NOT impressed with the so-called fuel economy delivered by this car. Our driving is a split between city and highway roughly 80/20, but we consistently get over 10L/100km. Even when we drove from Brisbane to the southern end of the Gold Coast on a fresh tank, we were flat out getting below 8L/100km.

Everything else about this car seems ok - the boot is big, the car itself is comfortable, buttons work and it has a roof, steering wheel etc. Oh and it seems to drive quite nicely, but it would be nice if, considering the poor fuel economy the car delivers anyway, it actually had a little bit of get up and go.

Had we known much fuel this car used, we'd most likely have bought something else.
Boot space, comfort, supposed safety features
Poor fuel economy, service centre seems not at all helpful on this matter

TransmissionManual
BodyWagon
Assume you got a petrol not a diesel ? What tyre pressure do you run, lifting to about 38 - 40 psi will improve economy out of site.Yes, we have the petrol. We thought about getting a diesel, but having had a diesel X-Trail previously, with which we had a number of issues, we weren't so keen - it also didn't make economic sense to us as the servicing is quite a lot more expensive. We run 35 psi tyre pressure and check them regularly. Would higher pressure will affect safety? Thanks for the tip though :-)