Hyundai Santa Fe

See the Best Large / 7 Seater SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Power and Economy

I've had my 2010 CM 2.2 turbo diesel for four years now. It had nearly 200,000km on it when I purchased it and now has nearly 317,000km. Needless to say I do a lot of driving. The power is excellent although perhaps excessive as I have wheelspin issues at times. It tows beautifully (perhaps what all that torque is designed for) and does everything it should. Replaced the timing chain just before 300,000km but otherwise had nothing other than regular servicing. Extremely happy with this vehicle, but I would say to people who are looking at buying these, I service mine every 7,500km and I drive it a lot and hard, that's what diesels like. I also regularly have the fuel system serviced/cleaned. If you like to drive hard and do lots of Km's I highly recommend!

Purchased in December 2015 at JMC for $16,000.00.

BoughtUsed
Year2010

Amazing features

We upgraded our five year old Hyundai Santa Fe to the new 2019 Highlander 2.2 Diesel three weeks ago and we love it, even more than we fell in love with our first Santa Fe.
It has all the safety features and more than you think you will need but I often use them, including the lane assist and I love the convenience. I admit we were spoilt when upgrading our car as not many of the SUV,s boast all the mod cons that our original SantaFe had nor for the price. My hubby and I have owned several car makes prior including Nissan, Toyota, Jeep, Holden and Ford but none of them compare to the safety and luxury features that give you the best fuel economy around town. I love the feeling of driving this amazing car and the satisfaction of making a great decision with such a big purchase.

Purchased in July 2019 at John Hughes Car Sales for $70.00.

Year2019

Loved this car

Bought a 2016 D Sante Fe Highlander and it is the best car I have ever owned.
Loved the reactive cruise control plus all the safety features of this car.
Cannot rate it highly enough.
Love Love Love it!

Purchased in August 2016 at Hyundai Dealers for $56,000.00.

BoughtNew

Best value for money quality car ever!

Took ownership of my new 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander 2.2D in March 2019 and I do not have all the words to describe how impressed I am with this vehicle! This is my 14th vehicle I have owned over 35 years and I can without hesitation say that it is the best value for money top quality vehicle I have owned. My previous vehicles included BMW, Audi, Lexus, VW, Mazda, Nissan and Kia and my Hyundai Santa Fe can compete with any European luxury vehicle I've had, in terms of quality, features, safety and cost of ownership, but at a fraction of the price. Quality is up there with and better than the best of all the vehicles I've owned and the Santa Fe ticks just about every box for "best" vs the other vehicles I've owned. Running cost is definitely best in class and the days that Hyundai was a "plastic, low cost / low quality option" are forever gone. The European vehicle manufacturers will have to up their game to compete on price and quality, as paying "for the badge" will not do it for much longer. Done 10,000km in my Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander 2.2D and not a thing to complain about, experiencing features once only found in expensive European vehicles, knowing I me and my family are protected by top-of-the-range safety technology and enjoying driving this vehicle more each day. Simply a case of getting a heck of a lot of car at a great price!

Purchased in March 2019 at Mandurah Hyundai for $64,500.00.

Year2019

Great SUV for the price.

Great SUV for the price. I purchased this car a year and a half ago and was delighted with the price as it has all the latest safety features. I drive almost every day and it is a delight to drive being rather nimble to handle. so far I have logged up 11,000 km and had one 2000 km trip. I leave all the seats down and have a single mattress in the back so that when I go away if I need to I can sleep in the back. It has heaps of room and is very economical on a trip. My previous car was a Toyota 2010 Kluger and I must say I enjoy driving this more. Great acceleration when needed and has a sporty feel.

Purchased in December 2017.

Year2017
Comfort

Diesel fuel economy shocking, Build quality good, infotainment glitchy

Had this about 8 months

It drives well, and is comfortable. Build quality is pretty good.

Diesel fuel economy is just really really bad. Around town I’m still over 11km/100km average, and I’m a 50/50 freeway city driver. Even after a road trip to Albury it barely dips down below 9. Hyundai’s engine tech is just not up with the Euros so make sure you go in knowing this and I’m really annoyed about this. I relied on their published ADR stats and given its the same engine as the old model, the ACCC should investigate these fuel consumption claims

I’ve had my local dealer “recalibrate” - lets see if it mkes any difference. I will be asking for compensation for extra fuel costs if this is not resolved soon

It’s infotainment is a 7/10. This an important feature to me. I have changed my phone and cable and CarPlay is intermittent and call quality poor. Software just updated on car so I hope this fixes it

Overall - If the fuel economy were resolved I’d say this is a 7.5/10, only because it is now such an expensive car (I have the Elite)

Purchased in September 2018 for $52,000.00.

Year2018
Comfort

Caution: Do not submit service reviews with honesty. These are not anonymous.

I am not sure if this is the right forum to discuss Hyundai service but since the surveys are being sent by Hyundai MC, I think this is the right forum. I took the matter with Hyundai, but so far no response. Have re-sent the email to different departments i.e. customercare and privacy, I do get acknowledgements that they have received the emails but they never address the issue.

Took my Santa Fe to local dealer for annula service and a day after, I got email to submit my review. I was honest and complained about the behaviour of the staff. I thought Hyundai will handle the matter carefully by keeping the identity anonymous. Next day I got a call from the staff quoting exact words i write and asked my why I said like that. This is horrible. I am now hesitant to take my car back at the same dealer fearing that they may 'do something' to it. I am not comfortable and raised the concerns to Hyundai directly.
There was no indication within the surveys that this information ‘will’ be shared as it is? I might have been extra careful in choosing my words.
What are they trying to achieve by this? Are they really interested in having people give honest feedback?

Purchased in November 2016.

Year2016

2013 Diesel Santa Fe

Had minor issues which were rectified ASAP by Hyundai

Great car. Safety was paramount when buying and didn’t let my family down when in a crash.

Has done 161k and now the sound system controls on left side of steering wheel have moved positions. ie; Mute is volume up. Volume up is volume down. Radio station adjust is mute etc etc. But I’m sure it’ll be fixed in a jiffy by Hyundai

Purchased in July 2013 at Hyundai Dealers for $474,000.00.

Year2013
Price should read $47500

looks beautiful - initial (first 50 - 7500km) will be OK - then start gives troubles one behind one trouble

I bought a Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander 2016 brand new for personal use - at about 76K turbocharger blown on the middle of the freeway - clean service history with dealership on time - fortunately vehicle was under warranty - repaired it took about 2 weeks - also some metal sounds in the back while driving fast - reported to the dealer but could not find the cause also AC is not working well now - never buy a hyundai again - bad cars but looks beautiful - initial (first 50 - 7500km) will be OK

Purchased in March 2017 for $61,999.00.

Year2016

Lemon cars

Bought a faulty elite, turbo hoses blowing off multiple times having to be towed each time, confused gear automatic gear changes, paint defects, losing power or no response from acceleration, no joy from dealer or Hyundai themselves, dealer said it was my fault that caused these issues

Purchased in June 2018 for $63,000.00.

Year2018

Hyundai Santa FE 2019 Highlander

Top model of Hyundai Santa FE is far better than the lower models. Better than all the other cars of its class like BWM and AUDI. Amazing features like safety cameras, collision sensors and blind spots detector is very useful for new users. Love to recommend if you want a 7 seater SUV with premium features same as available in mercedes, BMW and AUDI. Perfect for a big family and has lots of boot space for extra luggage storage.

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Drive4WD

2013 Santa Fe BEWARE

We had a 2013 Santa Fe Highlander.
This car is a great looking car inside & out. The interior feels good quality & has lots of little storage nooks. Is nice to drive, however I feel the steering is a little sensitive, especially on freeway driving.
Air conditioning problems from early on, which can’t seem to be fixed.
Our car has just done 100,000 k’s. Whilst just coming off the freeway recently, our DIFF exploded & oil started pouring from underneath. Hyundai didn’t really want to know about this problem. Surely this is a safety concern for Hyundai??? Could have been a very dangerous situation for us.
After investigating Santa Fe’s of this year, I found 2 other people who had encountered this serious DIFF problem!!!!
Really, really disappointed with this car.
We replaced with a 2nd hand diff (brand new was $6k) & traded it for a Nissan.
Glad to see it gone.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Review!

With 5 kids in tow, we find our Hyundai Santa Fe extremely reliable, amazing on fuel and extremely comfy!!! Easy to drive and look after, we love piling in and going for a drive! It could do with better AC though, with my kids who sit in the rear seats, finding it very stuffy and hot or cold, as there are no air ducts that go back that way. It’s a fairly basic model therefore not much can go wrong or play up! For a 7 seater SUV for the price of purchase, seriously its worth the money

BadgeSLX
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedJan 2018

Great car. Fantastic practicality and sublime engine/transmission

I've had the Santa Fe for about 6 months now. It is a fantastic car. Great diesel engine provides solid torque whenever you need it. The transmission is pretty good if not a little jittery at lower speeds from time to time. Suspension rides maybe a touch firm but nothing to complain about. I particularly enjoy driving the Santa Fe in Sport mode, it becomes a completely different car and can be quick and engaging to drive. Steering provides good feedback. Turning circle is excellent for a car of its size.

Very practical and comfortable vehicle. Boot takes our pram and gear well. Android auto and Apple car play are amazing and the Bluetooth connects every time without drama.

I'm a taller guy at 6'4'' and fit comfortable in the front seats (which is a primary consideration for me). The bolstering on the seats could be better for my bigger frame but my wife finds its incredibly comfortable. We've done some longer haul trips and the car travels well with the NVH being pretty good, if not a little intrusive on coarse surfaces. The seats did the job for trips to Mudgee and Melbourne. Can't complain.

This is my first Hyundai and I'm pleasantly surprised by the performance and build quality of the vehicle. No squeaks or dash rattles, solid door thunks and good enough mix of softer interior materials (as opposed to hard plastics).

Overall the car has been the best all round vehicle we've owned. Practical, comfortable and enjoyable to drive. Highly recommended.

BadgeActive
Date PurchasedApr 2018

A really good drive!

I've had my 2009 Santa Fe 2.2L diesel admittedly only 4 mths so far so not a long term test, but in that time, I traveled from Bathurst to Flinders Ranges SA and return with no fuss what-so-ever. The car sits well on the road with surprisingly good handling for a SUV. (it is constant 4wd)
I towed a camper trailer on the trip and achieved an average of 10.2 l/100 with a fully laden car, really good after my previous petrol 3.3L Nissan Pathfinder (2003) which did average 13.2 l/100 on a similar trip NOT towing anything!
It's very comfortable and easy to drive with light but responsive steering and light accelerator.
There is however, a problem to look out for in this series which I discovered I had on mine, the car sometimes simply would not start but just kept cranking!
To cut a long story short, I discovered after some investigation that there is a wiring loom under the dash going up to the key module that is so tight that it connects and then disconnects at will, so sometimes the car starts and sometimes not!
I went to Hyundai to price rectifying it and they said that both the loom and starter module needed to be replaced at a cost of $650.00. (approx)
I then had a bright idea and crawled under the dash, fitted a cable tie to the loom and around the steering column, holding the loom firmly in place and have had NO problem since! Savings: $650 woo hoo!
But all that said, I would recommend and seriously consider buying another Hyundai....very nice car!

BadgeSX
Date PurchasedJun 2018
Have now had the car 7mths and the starting problem has come back with a slight difference. The car now stalls at low speeds with regularity, so had the wiring loom and Smartra Immobiliser replaced and still stalling regularly. I have been looking on forums and have discovered that this is a very common problem with Hyundai owners around the world. This problem is very dangerous as it can stall at any time without warning and you of course, lose your steering and brakes. Knowing this, I will stay way clear of Hyundai from now on!

Do not trust auto parking!

I bought this car for the auto-parking which worked a treat for months, until it didn't. It smashed me into the vehicle it was parking behind and dented my Sante Fe (luckily other car was fine). I feel Hyundai should repair the dent but they have not been helpful. The doors are also too low and get stuck on the curb almost every day (poor design), otherwise its great car.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Love this car!

I have had 2 Hyundai Santa Fe and I must say the driving experience is really excellent! It’s economical with fuel, plenty of space inside and back, the seven seater allows for my kids friends to ride along, the digital technology capabilities are great, comfortability and easy drive mechanism makes it stressless to travel and most importantly the safety features gives me confidence that we are secured whilst driving! Love the car!

BadgeElite
Date PurchasedMar 2018

Great car until the transmission blows before 50,000km

Bought this car when my brood was expanding. It drives beautifully, quiet like on rails. Great interior space and beautiful lines on the outside. Extremely easy to manoeuvre. Have had some air-conditioning problems from the get go which starts after the car has been running for around 1 1/2 to 2 hours. To date, the dealership hasn't been able to fix it. Have had an issue with the button handbrake, however that was fixed and have no troubles with that since. Unfortunately, the deal breaker for me is the transmission issues which buyers need to be aware.
My car has been fully serviced on time at reputable dealer and dealership. Prior to my car hitting 50,000 I noticed slight slippage, and then clunking, then slight stoppage with the cars transmission. I decided to take it to the dealer to look at with the recall for the bonnet latch. I needed a new transmission as the splines were totally worn. After a battle with Hyundai, they honoured the warranty. They paid for parts, while I paid for labour. This would have cost me near $7000. When my car was in for repairs (nearly 2 weeks) there were approximately 4 (in the first week that I was aware of)other Santa Fe cars in for the same reason. A terrible shame for such an otherwise okay car. Be very wary before buying. I am in the process of looking for another car, unfortunately, it won't be Hyundai.

Purchased in November 2012.

Year2013

Nice....while it lasted.

Had a Sante Fe Highlander that was faultless engine wise for 7 years. 150,000ks. Serviced for everything at Hyundai dealer including door seals which came off every few years. Then driving it to work one night and it started losing power and noticed engine starting to overheat. Took it to dealership next day and found head had cracked. $4500 to fix. As soon as it was put back together i sold it. Was it the car, was it the servicing?? Hard to say. Not sure i would take the risk again.

Date PurchasedAug 2010

Gearbox problems, rattles and average service

I bought the Santa Fe DMII Highlander new at Hyundai in Frankston/VIC.
I bought a car off the floor, as my previous car was written off. The Hyundai cars get good reviews, John Cardogan is all for it (autoexpert on Youtube) and the drive was good.
The cabin plastics are a little cheap and the car developed some cabin rattles over time.
At around 20,000 km the gearbox developed shifting problems and the dealer tried twice to upgrade the software and "re-learn" the gearbox. I was under the impression nothing had changed and told them to look at replacing the gearbox.
At 45,000km the gearbox didn't shift into certain gears anymore and reversing was not possible.
It took Hyundai Australia nearly 2 weeks to approve a new gearbox.
I passed the car onto my wife, who never liked the car and we sold it privately.
Purchase a wagon or a people mover, there is no need to drive a SUV to haul kids, other cars do it better.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

I have a basic dash in my 2006 diesel Santa Fe. Can I buy an Elite dash and fit it to my car and have the temperature and litres/100kms working?
Don't think I can help you on this question. I always just take my motor vehicles to a mechanic if I have any problem. Never had any with my Sante Fe.

Hi. I just bought the very base line 2006 Santa Fe 2.2 diesel. I should have checked it out better but, talking with the seller and not concentrating on what I'm supposed to be looking for, I bought a car that doesn't even tell me how much further I can go on a tank of fuel or even the Litres/100kms. I'm wondering, is the wiring under the dash and all I need to do is buy a dash with the wider odometer panel or do I need to get a later model computer as well. Please help me.

Has anyone had a windscreen replaced & after replacement experienced more cabin noise & wind noise from side Windows?
I just replaced my Santa Fe DM With the new Santa Fe TM model and one of the things I noticed was when looking at the information was that the windscreen was acoustic. Not sure about the DM model but This may explain if you’ve had a windscreen fitted that is not acoustic why you are getting wind noise. Hope that helps you. CheersThank you Roddy

Hyundai Santa Fe TM Active AWD, 2.2L Diesel (2018-2019)Hyundai Santa Fe TM Active AWD, 2.4L Petrol (2018-2019)Hyundai Santa Fe TM Highlander (2018-2019)Hyundai Santa Fe TM Elite (2018-2019)Hyundai Santa Fe SM (2000-2006)Hyundai Santa Fe CM (2006-2012)Hyundai Santa Fe DM Active (2012-2018)Hyundai Santa Fe DM 30 Special Edition (2016)Hyundai Santa Fe DM Active X (2017-2018)Hyundai Santa Fe DM Elite (2012-2018)Hyundai Santa Fe DM Highlander (2012-2018)Hyundai Santa Fe DM SR (2015-2017)
CategoryLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVs
Starting Price $46,000$43,000$60,500$54,000
TransmissionAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomatic
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypeDieselPetrolDieselDieselDieselPetrolPetrolDieselDieselDiesel
Wheels17" Alloy17" Alloy19" Alloy18" Alloy17" Alloy19" Alloy18" Alloy19" Alloy19" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Doors555555555555
Seats7777777777
Fuel Consumption7.5 L/100km9.3 L/100km7.5 L/100km7.5 L/100km10.5 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 71 L71 L71 L71 L64 L64 L64 L64 L64 L64 L
Engine4 Cylinder 2.2L4 Cylinder 2.4L4 Cylinder 2.2L4 Cylinder 2.2L6 Cylinder 3.3L6 Cylinder 3.3L4 Cylinder 2.2L4 Cylinder 2.2L4 Cylinder 2.2L
Max Power147kW @ 3800rpm138kW @ 6000rpm147kW @ 3800rpm147kW @ 3800rpm199kW @ 6400rpm199kW @ 6400rpm
Max Torque440Nm @ 1750-2750rpm241Nm @ 4000rpm440Nm @ 1750-2750rpm440Nm @ 1750-2750rpm318Nm @ 5300rpm318Nm @ 5300rpm
Country of ManufactureSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth Korea
Safety Features
  • Sunroof
  • Built-In Navigation System
  • Dual Zone Air Conditioning
Ground Clearance185 mm185 mm185 mm185 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateJan 2018Jan 2018Jan 2018Jan 2018Nov 2000May 2006Jan 2012Jan 2016Jan 2017Jan 2012Jan 2012Jan 2015
Discontinuation dateDec 2006Dec 2012Dec 2018Dec 2016Dec 2018Dec 2018Dec 2018Dec 2017