Ikea MALM Bed Frames

Ikea MALM Bed Frames

See the Best Beds in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Unable to assemble due to wrong items packaged within

I had the packaging home delivered and found that the screws provided to assemble the support under the wooden bed slats are of the wrong size. It all came from the packaging within which is a disappointment. I tried to ring IKEA twice to only have my phone cut off after being on hold for 20 minutes and another for 15 minutes. I would appreciate if IKEA could get back to me to resolve the issue.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Time waster and lowest quality material

The Drawers dont fit under King bed and a joint whole broke after assembled the 4th time ( moved a lot lately)Extremely cheep material, accessories like drawers, side tables dont always fit to all Malm bed!

Date PurchasedJul 2013

Exceeded expectations

My daughter and I put this bed together on our own and she just loved it. Doesn’t freak. Good firmness / softness. Storage underneath better. Fits nicely in her room. Solid frame.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Solid and Cheap

Was one of the easiest thing to build Ive ever found from ikea. the wood is really light but really strong. Typical IKEA quality which was impressive. Will withstand quite the bedroom shenanigans.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Easy to assemble and affordable

I have bought two of these from Ikea and very happy with them. The price is not that expensive and easy to be assembled. I assemble both bed frame by myself and the instruction is easy to be followed.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Good but quirky dimensions

Since this is new purchase, I cannot vouch for its durability or long term use.
Looks are good, especially on darker floors/carpets ("stained white oak" color).
We have bought a queen bed only to find it is narrower than the one we've had before. Upgraded to king size, had to buy a mattress as well. Turns out that king size is 2cm shorter than the queen size (but much wider of course). The issue with being shorter is that the 4 boxes we have also bought do not fit, so we shall return 2 boxes and will keep only two. All four would fit under queen size, but not under king size! Be aware , buy only 2 boxes for king otherwise they will not go all the way "in" and "under" the side panel, but the face panels of boxes will touch the side of the frame and will not go in (too wide for slightly shorter King size). Queen is fine for all four but too narrow for my liking (152cm). No creak no rattling so far :) IKEA's return policy is excellent so you will be able to return (may need to hire a truck from Bunnings or IKEA if you don't have one).
All in all, use your ruler all the time, even check in store, check every dimension you can :) unless you live next door to an IKEA store.
Sweet dreams y'all!

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Stylish and steady.

I have been sleeping on this bed frame for approximately 2 years now. My favourite part of the bed frame is they allow 4 drawers to be under the bed which is an optional purchase. It's very convenient as I use it to store my clothes and shoes. The bed is also very steady and strong, it does not make noises when you lay on it.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

The worst bed I have ever bought

I bought Malm double. Difficult to assemble, supplied with 2 single Luroy wooden bed slats that balance side by side on the central bed frame support so fall out with the slightest movement. Drawers don't fit properly. I am accustomed to Ikea furniture assembly and have dismantled and reassembled the bed and drawers again with no improvement. My worse Ikea purchase ever!!

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Decent cheap bed

The bed frame is difficult to assemble without a drill. The supporting beams are difficult to screw in, and the bed frame is very squeaky. The corners of the bed is also quite painful to walk into!

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Bad idea to discontinue low profile

IKEA changed the whole design of the MALM low profile bed frame making it not a low profile bed.
Very disappointing when one wants another low profile bed. The high bed frame does not offer the effect of a low profile which was original MALM bed.
If you are buying a MALM, make sure you know the design changed.

Date PurchasedJun 2009

Simple but not the best quality

These bed frames are not made from the best wood but are sturdy nevertheless. Would not suggest buying it at full price, but they are more worth it if you catch it on sale. They also come with optional drawers.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Drawers don't fit!

Be wary, we ordered the king malm bed and the drawers didn't fit. When we returned the bed, we were informed that there is an old version that has been out for years and those drawers are slightly to big. Make sure you get the latest version king bed drawers!!

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Bed

Fabulous I am happy with my bed that I have got from you’s and it that strong and the money I spent it worth it and my bed side tables are fabulous as well

Date PurchasedApr 2015

Good looking frame, squeaky with every little move

I bought the king size bed frame as I was attracted by the design and storage drawers. I thought it looked sturdy, however with every little movement it makes a squeaking noise. I've taken the mattress down and re-tighten all the screws. It still squeaks whenever I'm on it. I regret getting it as I'm always cautious and try to make minimal movement in fear of the slat/frame breaking.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Do NOT buy this bed!!!!

From the day I purchased the King Sized Malm platform bed, the slats do NOT stay put. I have even gone so far as to have two pieces of particle board cut to rest under the mattress and the slats STILL fell out. I have replaced the rails, I have taken the bed apart and put it back together man times, I've used longer screws....I hate this bed and can't wait to get another one!

Date PurchasedJul 2013

Good for the price

It's just a bed frame. Nothing special.
Aside from the simple looks, it's utterly practical and of decent quality. I purchased it second hand for next to nothing and have had no issues with it over the last 2 years. There's no squeaks and it's feels stable and solid.

Date PurchasedApr 2014

Never a quiet moment.

This is hands down the worst bed I have ever used. So much so that when we move, we will probably have to pay someone to take it. Every little move you make makes the entire bed squeak so loud it will wake your neighbors up. It is constantly making noise. Even if you're able to fall asleep, good luck staying asleep if you breathe too much.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

The bed slats fall at the slightest weight. Terrible bed.

This bed is new to me and as a student I bore the cost in mind considerably. The bed design is nice but the slats are unreliable. I am constantly having to lift up the mattress and fix the slats underneath as they become crooked and the whole mattress slants. Awful design.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Storage problem

Hi my names megan and I have bought the 200cm (king) malm bed and drawers for underneath storage but the drawers do not fit properly?? what should I do, i dont want to take the drawers back so i have to make up news again

Date PurchasedJul 2016

A poorly-designed cheap product

This bed frame is easy to assemble, but it may not be possible to easily disassemble it later. I could not do it with the limited time I had (insufficient time to find real tools) and the supplied Allen wrench, so had to break the backboard apart (ruined it) to accomplish disassembly. Problem is the very poor, cast-zinc camlock design that locks the side rails to the backboard. These get jammed from loading of the bed frame, but CANNOT take excessive torque without becoming uselessly cracked/stripped, which renders them permanently locked in place. The MALM bed frame backboard is real wood veneer, but the substrate is only hollow CARDBOARD honeycomb, so breaks apart with amazingly little effort. The cost of this unit was low, and after initial assembly, the bed frame did hold up OK for nearly two years, so I give it two stars. However, it is otherwise a poorly-designed product. I'm handy with tools, so will repair the busted backboard with lots of epoxy, Bondo, and screws and replace the useless camlocks with studs/nuts, but it will look like crap.