MPN: 36403495

I now have more time for wine!

We bought this to clean wooden floors, carpet and tiles in our new place; Total floor area approx 275 sqm.

We set it running every other day for circa 4 hours, and empty it every time it finishes a run (we have two very furry dogs!).

After the first couple of runs around the house, it had mapped the property and from then on in the quality of cleaning and coverage is insane!!...we come home to spotless floors every night, and the only finger I'm lifting is the one to pick up a glass of red wine!

The box is big enough to cope with dog hair, and the only negative is we keep forgetting to raise the bottom of the curtains, so the Roomba likes to chew those.

The Roomba has literally transformed our lives - sweeping/ vacuuming floors used to be my least favourite job ...so if we can teach it to clean windows too, then it will become my new best friend.

App connects every time via W-Fi, and my wife will often turn the Vacuum on remotely if we've got any last minute visitors - perfect!

Purchased in March 2019 at The Good Guys for $1,400.00.

System Errors Occasionally

Excellent concept - but they need further development on quality.

Hi, I purchased and gave been using the Roomba 980 for approx. 2 years now. I can definitely say it’s a game changer in future cleaning, however, it has a little way to go till perfection.
Given the cost of the product (approx. $1499 AUD) you would hope that it lasts a little longer then it has for me without any issues. Mine has recently had the latch that holds the battery in, break. I contacted IRobot as I read many reviews from the USA where the consumers suggested this was a “known” fault by the company and they were replacing them for free. Turns out thats only in the USA and the AU support isn’t so inclined to assist.

After they sent me on a “wild goose chase” - I was nowhere closer to obtaining a favorable outcome.

So!... - whilst I rate this product for its potential - I do not believe that - neither the company nor the quality - is at the standard they suggest it to be.

Cleaning quality - I have timber floors and find on timber it does the job, however, others I know have rugs on their floors and they aren’t so impressed with the suction.

Ease of use - it has had no issue pairing with my husbands phone/app but for some reason unable to pair it to mine.

Noise - same as an other vacuum

Battery life - is not bad - runs for approx. 60-90 mins and then recharges itself - sometimes it runs out of battery and cannot make it back to the dock on its own. (Which is a massive bummer when you’re out).

Purchased in March 2017 at The Good Guys for $1,499.00.

Floor Type Wood
System Errors Often

Good but could be better

I love that this vacuum works autonomously, & cleans all areas of my house (tiles, floorboards & carpet) while I am at work. It does a great job. Only downfall is it easily gets caught and if this happens it stops in the middle of a job and requires manual intervention.

Purchased in July 2019 at Amazon.

System Errors Often
Hi Sofia Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. These are a great device for cleaning all types of flooring. We only recommend that if there are area's that your Roomba may get stuck or caught up, to use the Virtual Walls as a barrier for these areas so as not to delay your cleaning. Kind regards iRobot

It's name is Betsy!!!

Since June our Roomba has cleaned our tiled and carpeted house brilliantly, even gets up the stuff on the mats near the doors. set and forget....program and start from our smart device while at work is fantastic.

Purchased in June 2019 at The Good Guys for $500.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

what a time saver

We have had the 980 for three weeks now and it is awesome. Cleans the whole house while we are out. handles wood floors, rugs and carpets with ease. Works better than our stick vacuum. The remote app is a great addition as well.

Purchased in July 2019 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $1,250.00.

Love my Roomba ! Extremely happy

We have laminate flooring , some rugs and tiles. Roomba clean all these surfaces very well . I no longer needed to vacuum clean the house since we bought Roomba 2 months ago. Easy to empty , very user friendly product! I can’t live without it

Purchased in May 2019 at Harvey Norman for $530.00.

Floor Type Tiles and Wood
System Errors Occasionally
Good Afternoon Leila Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. Thanks iRobot

Fantastic...wish I had it 20 years ago!!!

I have had this Roomba 980 for about 6 weeks now, it is a great asset to our house. We named him Jones!!
We have only laminate and tiles in our house and we are retired...just the two of us no pets. I put it to work every other day, our floors have never felt so clean. It does the whole house, even under the beds. I do move some things, like the dining room chairs get put on top of the table to give it a better run. I would have liked it to be able to choose areas to clean on the app but that is a small criticism. I can always close the door if I don’t want it to clean a particular room. The bin is very easy to remove and empty. I think back to when we had three small boys rampaging around the house how much easier life would have been if these robots had been available then. Do yourself a favour anybody that works a lot go and buy one of these I guarantee you would not regret it, coming home to a clean house at the end of a hard day would be amazing. They are at the top end of the scale for price but so worth it. I also find the fact if there is a problem the people to call are based in Australia. Spare parts are easy to obtain too - not that I need those yet. It is cleaning my house as I am writing this....bliss!!!!

Purchased in April 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $1,259.00.

System Errors Never
Good Morning Captain Sunshine Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. You have said it best, these are a must have to come home to nice clean house after a hard day at work. Kind regards iRobot

No way would I recommend this

As a repairer of appliances, I would not recommend this product. They only supply minimal spare parts. If that part doesn't fix it, you are stuck out of pocket with parts and a product that does not work. They do not supply PCB control board in Australia. Buy a Samsung or LG!!!

Purchased in January 2016.

Product is used: Rarely

Love it. Easily cleans a family house.

I have owned the Roomba 980 for about a year and now can't live without it. When my husband first bought it home, I really thought that we didn't need it and it was only for showpiece places but I love the fact that it allows me to get other things done around the house while it vacuums for me. The time saving is worth it alone but it also is back saving. The floors are clean and it picks up huge amounts of dust. I am finding it very easy to use. After the first few goes around the house, it got faster at knowing where to go and it is gentle on my furniture and ornaments (doesn't knock over things, just bumps and backs off). There are only a couple of areas in the house that it would get stuck and now we just throw a pillow in those places when it is cleaning. The sensors are good when you don't want it going into rooms or want it to do just half the house. It vacuums most of the house before it goes back to its dock and auto recharges for an hour and then takes off and finishes the full house (4 bedroom place - carpet and hard floor areas). It has a map app on your phone to let you know where it has already cleaned. I think the real test of a product is would you buy it again and I have to say I would. We have had no problems with it from the day we bought it and it vacuums as well today as it did when we got it out of the box.

Purchased in May 2018.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum and Tiles
Good Morning Busy Mum03 Thank you for taking the time the Roomba 980 has saved you to review it. These are a fantastic maintenance cleaner. Perfect for whilst you are at home doing other things or whilst you are out. Kind regards iRobot

Worked well, for a week....

Started off working well and picked up an impressive amount of dust. Now works for 2 or 3 minutes then gets "stuck on a cliff" - even in the middle of a light coloured carpet that is free of shadows or any other dark colours. Very disappointed. Will be taking it back for a refund.

Purchased in April 2019.

Floor Type Carpet and Wood
System Errors Every time

Awesome robot cleaner

Better than expected, the amount of dust that was picked up in our carpet was phenomenal. We recently moved into a new home and had the carpets professionally cleaned, Roomba picked up a lot more than they did! The app is great, handy when you are in a different room and you can turn it on and off it goes.
We have tiles and carpet and it does both. Well worth the $$.

Purchased in February 2019.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum and Tiles
System Errors Occasionally
Good Morning Teagan Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. These are fantastic. Wait until you try using the app from work. Just make sure you give anyone at home a heads up. Kind regards iRobot

Love my lil roomba!

I have a dog who sheds a lot and the roomba works wonders! I set it when I go out and it does the job with ease. I was concerned about how it would cope with the dog hair however a friend had one also too and she praises hers as well. Strongly recommend! Now it just needs a steaming option!

Purchased in February 2019 at The Good Guys for $489.00.

Floor Type Tiles
System Errors Occasionally
Good Morning AlyceFranklin Thank you for taking the time to review the iRobot Roomba. You mentioned a steam version, sadly iRobot don't do steam but we do have the Braava 380T and Braava Jet 240 available to help with the sweeping and mopping. These can be viewed at www.shopirobot.com.au Kind regards iRobotGreat. Thanks for letting me know!

Much more effective than I expected

I live alone, work full time and no pets, so I really only run this once per week on carperted areas which get light useage. It is much more effective than I imagined, it picks up much dust and lifts the pile in a way that takes me several slow passes with my conventional corded Dyson. I even let it run it in the tiled bathroom upstairs, it does well enough that I just need to mop.

Battery life on the carpet is shorter due to carpet boost and it is noisy but i mostly turn it on when I am out.

I have a smaller cheaper model that I use more regularly on the more heavily used downstairs floorboard area that is as effective on the floor. In saying that the Roomba 980 is more effectively able to negotiate its way onto some of the slightly higher pile rugs I have. My Roomba 980 does vacuum around some of my other higher pile rugs it hasn’t learned to climb.
The bin size for me is not an issue as my home stays pretty clean so i only empty when it completes a job.

The only negative comments I’d make and reason for 4 rather than 5 starts is I’ve had mine less than a year and it has had pretty light useage compared to those with pets, and I have already noted that the filter cover clip is pretty poorly made. Mine isn’t broken yet but must be on its way as it now needs a little help to close. For the price range I would expect these parts to be better designed.

Purchased in March 2018 for $1,250.00.

System Errors Occasionally
Good Morning Maria Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. These are fantastic maintenance device for those that do or do not have pets. You literally just set and forget. In relation to the filter door, please email our office at service@ixl.com.au with reference C0160413 and we will see what we can do. Kind regards iRobotThank you. I will doAnd I agree the set and forget is brilliant. Makes household maintenance so much easier

This product has made a big difference to our home

Anyone who has a Golden Retriever will understand the hopelessness felt when trying to deal with the hair. We finally brought the Roomba 980 into our home and with daily running it is doing a wonderful job of picking up the hair to the point where if I see any now, I am surprised. We have hardwood floors and several floor rugs in both wool and jute and it works on all these surfaces without issue. I haven't had to take out my vacuum cleaner out at all since we started using the Roomba. I would recommend watching the first couple of runs to check for any hazards, but once you get this sorted, it really does do it all on it's own which you can schedule via an app. One of the absolute game changers for me was watching it disappear under our King sized bed. That in itself was worth the purchase.

I thought I would have to buy a second charging station for upstairs but I find that I just take it upstairs, start it in one particular spot and when it is done it just goes back to that spot and then I can take it downstairs to charge up again.

Initially my unit was not charging to 100% and I was only getting about a 50 minute clean before it had to recharge. I did some research and learned that I needed to reset the unit. I trust I am remembering correctly but I think holding all 3 buttons down will do this and after I reconnecting it back to Wifi, it right away went on to charge to 100%. I now consistently get about 105 minutes of cleaning before it has to recharge. I do have to tip out the bin after about 70 minutes but it is easy to do (much easier than my Dyson). I personally give the unit a look over every day just to remove anything that might have gotten caught up in the rollers, brush or wheels. It takes a couple of minutes and I'd rather do that than vacuum any day.

I am amazed at the performance of this product. The only reason I am giving it 4 stars and not 5 is that I have owned it for a month now and so far one of the arms of the side brush has broken as well as a tear to the rubber roller which made an awful noise but I have fixed with sticky tape and it runs fine. These are replaceable parts which means I can deal with it but they did break fairly early on. The app is also now not allowing me to see maps and says they are unavailable. So a few hiccups but to be honest, I should have done this years ago as it really has made a huge difference to our daily lives.

Purchased in January 2019 for $1,249.00.

The best in the market!

I’ve used another vacuum robot and it did a terrible job which was the same price as Roomba 980. Roomba 980 is a very clever robot, you can guess what it’s trying you to do and it’s fun to watch him go everywhere. App is great, once job is done, mapping of the area is perfect. Once it’s finished with the room, it starts to swipe the corners. Only downside would be that they could I’ve added a better side brush and bigger dustbin.
I highly recommend this machine to any other in the market.

Date PurchasedJan 2019
Good Afternoon Hande Thank you for your taking the time to review the Roomba 980. These are a fantastic device and the mapping on the app allows you to see where the Roomba has been and how many times it has cleaned a single area. Kind regards iRobot

Wonderful for elderly cat owner

After thinking about this purchase for years I finally got my robot vacuum. I’m sorry it took so long! I’m a retired person with two cats. After a stroke my mobility isn’t to good and using the big vacuum became difficult.
My iRobot is the answer. It’s amazing how much dust and cat hair is collected. My iRobot seamlessly moves between tile and carpet, you can hear the motor change speed over each surface. And cleaning under beds is a real bonus. I’m sure that I’m sleeping better because I’m no longer surrounded by nasty dusty stuff.
Initially I used it daily but now twice a week seems to be enough. It occasionally gets stuck under a coffee table, but it lets me know and waits patiently to be rescued.
Yes, the bin isn’t big, but that means you’re not cleaning often enough. Once I realised this it has been easy to work with my new friend efficiently.
If you have an elderly relative this would be a great gift to extend his/her independence.

Date PurchasedNov 2018
Good Afternoon Grunky Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. I am happy to hear the Roomba is making your life that bit easier after your health issues. This is the best thing for someone that has mobility issues or is older and it means less time having to drag around a large heavy stand alone vacuum as often. Kind regards iRobot

Excellent product

Very well, can go from tile to carpet with no problem. Also have the sensor to stop it to go area we don't want it to go, even we got dogs, love it to be able to pick up anything have no issue. Highly recommend to anyone which have kids and pets.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Good Morning Yoyo Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. You are 100% right, these are a fantastic device for anyone and everyone that has pets and kids and those that do not. Kind regards iRobot

Fantastic - unbelievable

We use our new Roomba on both wooden floors and carpet areas. It does an outstanding job on both surfaces.

We are very pleased we have just acquired one - it’s going to save hours of vacuuming. The results are visible as soon as you walk - especially in the carpeted areas. The first clean picked up so much it completely filled up the collection bin.

Date PurchasedJan 2019
Hi Gaz Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980 These are a fantastic device saving many a customer hours and maintenance cleaning. You will find the more you use the Roomba the less you will have to empty the collection bin. But the difference it can make on the carpets even 2 to 3 times a week still amazes me. Kind regards iRobot

Love love love it

I love this! It gets filth out of places I DIDN'T KNOW EXISTED! It vacuums under my bed .... I never did that!? I can set it to work overnight when I'm in bed asleep, or turn it on when I'm not even home, using the app. It makes floor cleaning a breeze!

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Good Morning Meg66 Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. These are a fantastic device for maintenance cleaning. At their low height, getting under most beds and furniture is a breeze, cleaning areas of the home, most people haven't cleaned in year due to the standard vacuum not being to get into these areas. The app capabilities of the latest models is also great, along as the unit is connected to your home wifi, you can ask your Roomba to clean from anywhere in the world. Kind regards iRobot

Love Roomba

We have 2 980 Roomba's as live in 2 story house, just set up cleaning schedule and empty once a week and no problems, easy app and very clean house, we have 2 cats and picks up huge amount of hair.
Just one issue, would love if the app could be like a remote to, direct to area for a spot clean. use the mapping to point area and clean there and return.
Highly recommend , and FYO the area cleaned for just 1 of our Roomba 980 is Lifetime 1014 jobs & 27,944 sq mtr cleaned & 721 hours that we have not had to vacuum by hand well done ))

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Hi Peter Thank you for taking the time to review our iRobot Roomba 980. These are fantastic devices to helps with the mundane. Your ideas of the mapping and the app to direct the Roomba where to spot clean is a very good one and is coming soon in a new model launching later this year. Sadly it is not something they are able to implement in a currently model. Kind regards iRobotLook forward to the new model )) thanks for your reply too.

Is anyone having issues with the Recharge & Resume function on the Roomba 980 model. Mine just depletes the battery and runs out of power as it does not recognize a low-level state anymore.
Hi Ray, We aren’t having any problems with the Recharge and Resume. Having said that it has only run low on battery once and that was when we first got it, it went home and came back out and continued on once it had enough charge.Ok, thanks. We've had our Roomba 980 for two years with no problems but in the last couple of months, the unit no longer returns to the charging station when it gets low on power and just keeps running until out of energy (around 110 minutes), then chimes to place Roomba on the charger.Hi Ray, Based on the fact you have had your Roomba for approx 2 years, it sounds as though the battery may need replacing. You can also try, if not already so, having the docking station in a central location of the home, that way the Roomba doesn't have too far to go back to recharge. Kind regards iRbobot

Does the Roomba 980 work on black carpet? I have a 780 & it will not work on dark carpet. Cheers Sue
Our carpets and flooring are fairly light or mid toned so can't really help you. Sorry.I would assume so. We have light beige and grey carpets and it works fine. I have also vacuumed my dark blue mat and it worked fine.Good Afternoon Shorty Sadly the earlier models of iRobot, ie the 500, 600 700, 800 and 900 series Roomba's are not suitable for dark to black surfaces. Kind regards iRobot

Can you use more than one Roomba 980 (one for upstairs and one for downstairs), and will the smartphone feature work for the two individually or will they clash? Other brands really 'suck' when it comes to this.
I think you may be able to. I have my Roomba paired with my phone but it gives me the option to add another Roomba. Maybe it has different frequencies? Both my husband and I have the same Roomba on our phone apps and can control it without any issues either. You can also pair a Braava jet mop and a Roomba on the same app.Good Morning Pollyfodder You sure can operate multiple iRobot Roomba 980's on one device. Once the app is downloaded. You have the option to add a Roomba. You can operate upto 10 Roombas on one app. These can be individually schedule for different times. Allowing customers to have a Roomba up stairs and downstairs. Kind regards iRobot

CategoryRobot Vacuum Cleaners