iRobot Roomba 980

iRobot Roomba 980

MPN: 36403495

Worked well, for a week....

Started off working well and picked up an impressive amount of dust. Now works for 2 or 3 minutes then gets "stuck on a cliff" - even in the middle of a light coloured carpet that is free of shadows or any other dark colours. Very disappointed. Will be taking it back for a refund.

Purchased in April 2019.

Product is used: Several times a week
Floor Type Carpet and Wood
System Errors Every time

Awesome robot cleaner

Better than expected, the amount of dust that was picked up in our carpet was phenomenal. We recently moved into a new home and had the carpets professionally cleaned, Roomba picked up a lot more than they did! The app is great, handy when you are in a different room and you can turn it on and off it goes.
We have tiles and carpet and it does both. Well worth the $$.

Purchased in February 2019.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum and Tiles
System Errors Occasionally
Good Morning Teagan Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. These are fantastic. Wait until you try using the app from work. Just make sure you give anyone at home a heads up. Kind regards iRobot

Love my lil roomba!

I have a dog who sheds a lot and the roomba works wonders! I set it when I go out and it does the job with ease. I was concerned about how it would cope with the dog hair however a friend had one also too and she praises hers as well. Strongly recommend! Now it just needs a steaming option!

Purchased in February 2019 at The Good Guys for $489.00.

Floor Type Tiles
System Errors Occasionally
Good Morning AlyceFranklin Thank you for taking the time to review the iRobot Roomba. You mentioned a steam version, sadly iRobot don't do steam but we do have the Braava 380T and Braava Jet 240 available to help with the sweeping and mopping. These can be viewed at www.shopirobot.com.au Kind regards iRobotGreat. Thanks for letting me know!

Much more effective than I expected

I live alone, work full time and no pets, so I really only run this once per week on carperted areas which get light useage. It is much more effective than I imagined, it picks up much dust and lifts the pile in a way that takes me several slow passes with my conventional corded Dyson. I even let it run it in the tiled bathroom upstairs, it does well enough that I just need to mop.

Battery life on the carpet is shorter due to carpet boost and it is noisy but i mostly turn it on when I am out.

I have a smaller cheaper model that I use more regularly on the more heavily used downstairs floorboard area that is as effective on the floor. In saying that the Roomba 980 is more effectively able to negotiate its way onto some of the slightly higher pile rugs I have. My Roomba 980 does vacuum around some of my other higher pile rugs it hasn’t learned to climb.
The bin size for me is not an issue as my home stays pretty clean so i only empty when it completes a job.

The only negative comments I’d make and reason for 4 rather than 5 starts is I’ve had mine less than a year and it has had pretty light useage compared to those with pets, and I have already noted that the filter cover clip is pretty poorly made. Mine isn’t broken yet but must be on its way as it now needs a little help to close. For the price range I would expect these parts to be better designed.

Purchased in March 2018 for $1,250.00.

Product is used: Weekly
Pet OwnerNo
Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood
System Errors Occasionally
Good Morning Maria Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. These are fantastic maintenance device for those that do or do not have pets. You literally just set and forget. In relation to the filter door, please email our office at service@ixl.com.au with reference C0160413 and we will see what we can do. Kind regards iRobotThank you. I will doAnd I agree the set and forget is brilliant. Makes household maintenance so much easier

This product has made a big difference to our home

Anyone who has a Golden Retriever will understand the hopelessness felt when trying to deal with the hair. We finally brought the Roomba 980 into our home and with daily running it is doing a wonderful job of picking up the hair to the point where if I see any now, I am surprised. We have hardwood floors and several floor rugs in both wool and jute and it works on all these surfaces without issue. I haven't had to take out my vacuum cleaner out at all since we started using the Roomba. I would recommend watching the first couple of runs to check for any hazards, but once you get this sorted, it really does do it all on it's own which you can schedule via an app. One of the absolute game changers for me was watching it disappear under our King sized bed. That in itself was worth the purchase.

I thought I would have to buy a second charging station for upstairs but I find that I just take it upstairs, start it in one particular spot and when it is done it just goes back to that spot and then I can take it downstairs to charge up again.

Initially my unit was not charging to 100% and I was only getting about a 50 minute clean before it had to recharge. I did some research and learned that I needed to reset the unit. I trust I am remembering correctly but I think holding all 3 buttons down will do this and after I reconnecting it back to Wifi, it right away went on to charge to 100%. I now consistently get about 105 minutes of cleaning before it has to recharge. I do have to tip out the bin after about 70 minutes but it is easy to do (much easier than my Dyson). I personally give the unit a look over every day just to remove anything that might have gotten caught up in the rollers, brush or wheels. It takes a couple of minutes and I'd rather do that than vacuum any day.

I am amazed at the performance of this product. The only reason I am giving it 4 stars and not 5 is that I have owned it for a month now and so far one of the arms of the side brush has broken as well as a tear to the rubber roller which made an awful noise but I have fixed with sticky tape and it runs fine. These are replaceable parts which means I can deal with it but they did break fairly early on. The app is also now not allowing me to see maps and says they are unavailable. So a few hiccups but to be honest, I should have done this years ago as it really has made a huge difference to our daily lives.

Purchased in January 2019 for $1,249.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood

The best in the market!

I’ve used another vacuum robot and it did a terrible job which was the same price as Roomba 980. Roomba 980 is a very clever robot, you can guess what it’s trying you to do and it’s fun to watch him go everywhere. App is great, once job is done, mapping of the area is perfect. Once it’s finished with the room, it starts to swipe the corners. Only downside would be that they could I’ve added a better side brush and bigger dustbin.
I highly recommend this machine to any other in the market.

Date PurchasedJan 2019
Good Afternoon Hande Thank you for your taking the time to review the Roomba 980. These are a fantastic device and the mapping on the app allows you to see where the Roomba has been and how many times it has cleaned a single area. Kind regards iRobot

Wonderful for elderly cat owner

After thinking about this purchase for years I finally got my robot vacuum. I’m sorry it took so long! I’m a retired person with two cats. After a stroke my mobility isn’t to good and using the big vacuum became difficult.
My iRobot is the answer. It’s amazing how much dust and cat hair is collected. My iRobot seamlessly moves between tile and carpet, you can hear the motor change speed over each surface. And cleaning under beds is a real bonus. I’m sure that I’m sleeping better because I’m no longer surrounded by nasty dusty stuff.
Initially I used it daily but now twice a week seems to be enough. It occasionally gets stuck under a coffee table, but it lets me know and waits patiently to be rescued.
Yes, the bin isn’t big, but that means you’re not cleaning often enough. Once I realised this it has been easy to work with my new friend efficiently.
If you have an elderly relative this would be a great gift to extend his/her independence.

Date PurchasedNov 2018
Good Afternoon Grunky Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. I am happy to hear the Roomba is making your life that bit easier after your health issues. This is the best thing for someone that has mobility issues or is older and it means less time having to drag around a large heavy stand alone vacuum as often. Kind regards iRobot

Excellent product

Very well, can go from tile to carpet with no problem. Also have the sensor to stop it to go area we don't want it to go, even we got dogs, love it to be able to pick up anything have no issue. Highly recommend to anyone which have kids and pets.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Good Morning Yoyo Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. You are 100% right, these are a fantastic device for anyone and everyone that has pets and kids and those that do not. Kind regards iRobot

Fantastic - unbelievable

We use our new Roomba on both wooden floors and carpet areas. It does an outstanding job on both surfaces.

We are very pleased we have just acquired one - it’s going to save hours of vacuuming. The results are visible as soon as you walk - especially in the carpeted areas. The first clean picked up so much it completely filled up the collection bin.

Date PurchasedJan 2019
Hi Gaz Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980 These are a fantastic device saving many a customer hours and maintenance cleaning. You will find the more you use the Roomba the less you will have to empty the collection bin. But the difference it can make on the carpets even 2 to 3 times a week still amazes me. Kind regards iRobot

Love love love it

I love this! It gets filth out of places I DIDN'T KNOW EXISTED! It vacuums under my bed .... I never did that!? I can set it to work overnight when I'm in bed asleep, or turn it on when I'm not even home, using the app. It makes floor cleaning a breeze!

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Good Morning Meg66 Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. These are a fantastic device for maintenance cleaning. At their low height, getting under most beds and furniture is a breeze, cleaning areas of the home, most people haven't cleaned in year due to the standard vacuum not being to get into these areas. The app capabilities of the latest models is also great, along as the unit is connected to your home wifi, you can ask your Roomba to clean from anywhere in the world. Kind regards iRobot

Love Roomba

We have 2 980 Roomba's as live in 2 story house, just set up cleaning schedule and empty once a week and no problems, easy app and very clean house, we have 2 cats and picks up huge amount of hair.
Just one issue, would love if the app could be like a remote to, direct to area for a spot clean. use the mapping to point area and clean there and return.
Highly recommend , and FYO the area cleaned for just 1 of our Roomba 980 is Lifetime 1014 jobs & 27,944 sq mtr cleaned & 721 hours that we have not had to vacuum by hand well done ))

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Hi Peter Thank you for taking the time to review our iRobot Roomba 980. These are fantastic devices to helps with the mundane. Your ideas of the mapping and the app to direct the Roomba where to spot clean is a very good one and is coming soon in a new model launching later this year. Sadly it is not something they are able to implement in a currently model. Kind regards iRobotLook forward to the new model )) thanks for your reply too.

What a waste of money!

Don't get this robot! Thats all i need to start with.
We had an el-cheapo before this and the el-cheapo robot vacuum was so much better than this!
We have had our roomba 980 just over a year and its been nothing but problematic. What a waste of $1400!
1) It gets clogged up all the time and we need to unclog it every single day. The stuff its picking up doesn't even make it to the bin, it just gets clogged in the gap between the bin and the brushes.
2) Even though it is supposed to learn its way around your home, it doesn't. It kept on banging into all our stuff, leaving marks on our furniture everywhere. Its like it was blind!
3) The vacuum power is just useless, it barely picks up anything (and of course, when it does, it gets clogged up!)
4) The robot decides to stop charging now that its out of warranty

I would recommend not getting this robot as its absolute trash!

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Good Morning Anna W Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. We would very much like to discuss the review with you further. If you can please contact our office on 1300 727 421 with reference C0158266 it would be greatly appreciated. Kind regards iRobot

We've had 3 Roomba and this one is just terrible

As the subject says, we've had 3 Roomba's over the years and this one is just terrible. Where do I start though.
Firstly, the "debris extractors" barely pick up anything. The brushes on our old 780 were much more useful on hardwood floors, vinyl floors, and carpet.
Secondly, the hole between the brushes and the bin is constantly clogging with dust and dirt so nothing ever gets into the bin. Our old 780 would go close to a week without needing attention (bin clean, brush clean, etc). The 980 needs that hole cleaned every single day. We don't live in a particularly dusty or dirty area (in fact nothing has changed since we had the 780), except for the fact we now have the 980 instead of the 780.
Thirdly, those debris extractors are just too flimsy. One thing gets stuck in them and the rubber shreds.
If there's one positive thing I can say for it, is the vacuum unit is definitely more powerful. But it doesn't outweigh the faults with this machine.
I'd advise looking at alternatives to Roomba if you can since they took away the brushes and made this unit so poorly. Our next robot will definitely not be a Roomba.

Date PurchasedAug 2017
Good Morning AdamMadd We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with the upgrade from your Roomba 780 to the new Roomba 980. You will find that to start with you will be having to clean your Roomba more frequently as it is taking in a lot more debris to the power difference between the 2 models. I have tried searching for your voicemail from last week to get you number to call you back and but not been able to find it. Can you please contact us again on 1300 727 421 with your reference C0155124. Alternatively if you are able to advise the day you left the message as I do have one from the 15th without a message that could possibly be yours, number ending in 544? Kind regards iRobotHi, I tried calling but i just sit on hold for a very long time but do not get to speak to anyone. Please send me a private message so we can resolve this.HI AdamMadd, Pleae email us directly at service@ixl.com.au with reference C0155124 and your best contact details and we will endeavour to call you within the next 24 hours. Kind regards iRobot

Sensor can't see and got itself scratched

I was horrified that within its first 15 minutes of operation, new out of the box, the robot managed to get BOTH of its own sensors scratched up against the hardware under my sofa. I thought the sensor was supposed to see objects and not collide into them! I am now extremely concerned that with scratched sensors it can no longer navigate and clean thoroughly.

I love my mopping iRobot and thought the Roomba 980 would similarly meet expectations. But $1500 for a unit that causes damage to itself is just a $1500 liability!

Date PurchasedNov 2018
Good Morning bronnchan Thank you for reviewing the Roomba 980. This particular model has a camera built in on the face of the unit. The sensor on top is so it can see the home base. The Roomba's are 9.14cm in height, allowing them to fit under most pieces of furniture. Please feel free to contact us directly on 1300 727 421 with reference C0157597 if you would like to discuss this further. Kind regards iRobot

Brilliant!

Procrastinated about this for a while, as they a a little pricey, but now don't think I could live without this awesome product.
Bought iRobot Roomba 980, (we named her Nina), for the 'in-between clean.' We have a dark coloured carpet and there are always crumbs, thread, fur, hair, dust, etc etc to be noticed, (well I notice them). So I have 'Nina' set up for a clean every second day. She does a really good job, and I was surprised how much actual dust she picks up as well as the long hair, crumbs etc. Yes she will get stuck and advise of an error on my phone when she sucks up kids boxer shorts, or somehow wedges herself under the couch! But thats ok, she turns herself off.
A wee bit loud, but can live with that.
Very impressed.

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Good Morning Julia Thank you for your reviewing the Roomba 980. These are fantastic vacuums for maintenance cleaning. Hopefully the kids will start picking their boxers up so Nina stops collecting them. Kind regards iRobot

Best vacuum ever!

I wanted to wait a while before writing a review to see how this vacuum continued to work with time. I must say I really am amazed at how good it is. It is still as good as the day we got it.

The first day we got Roomba, my husband and I literally sat there watching it clean to see if it would go under the furniture, over our rugs and in tight to reach spots. It went under ALL of the furniture, even reaching places we didn't think it would fit, it cleaned all of our rugs and it changes suction when it goes on to the rug surface. This little vacuum didn't miss a spot and even went over a few places twice! Once it had finished it went back to its base to charge.

It came with 2 barriers that you can put in front of a room you don't want it to clean or maybe a dog bowl you don't want it to bump. It maps out your entire house and you can see exactly where it cleaned. We set it on a schedule so it cleans at the same time everyday. It is very smart. We have stairs and it has never fallen over the edge.

I don't know what else I could ask for in a vacuum. Now, this vacuum is not a replacement for a regular vacuum. We use it as maintenance. I still vacuum once a week in order to clean the places it doesn't fit, which aren't many but there are a few. It's just great to get home everyday and not have to vacuum. I empty out the tray 1-2 times a week and it's always full. I don't know how I lived so long without Roomba.

I would definitely purchase this again and if it ever breaks, I'm buying another one. It has made life so much easier and I don't have to worry about vacuuming under the bed because it vacuums there every day and doesn't miss a spot! Get this vacuum!

Date PurchasedJan 2018
HI Billy Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. You have hit the nail on the head, this is a perfect maintenance clean. Schedule it to clean when ever you want and you come home to a clean house. Kind regards iRobot

I would marry it if I could

This is awesome. It has saved hubby and I from so many fights and does a great job for an automatic system - of course it doesn’t get into every crack and crevice so you still need to occasionally clean sharp corners and skirtings but overall it will save you heaps of time! We have rugs/carpet and floor boards.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Hi Mum of one Thank you for taking the time to review the Roomba 980. These are fantastic maintenance clean devices. Saving you from having to bring and hand vacuum out on a regular bases. Now it is only required once every week to 2 weeks depending on your preference. Kind regards iRobot

Highly recommend

I am impressed with the results and efficiency of this product. It forces your family to keep the house clutter free or he will get stuck.
I have mainly tile and floorboards with some large rugs and he does a great job on everything.
I have found running him everyday is best then your house gets clean enough you only empty the bin and clean the extractors once a week.
Only one bad thing is he’s a bit loud but I’ll deal with that.
Certainly will never be without one now. Love it!!!!

Date PurchasedDec 2017

F10 Error

It was working great for the 1st , 20 days and now comes up with the F10error, we have factory reset the unit and still comes up with this error, as we bought this from kogan we are unable to get warranty here in Au but kogan have been great and have sent us a product return, free of charge, cant wait to get it back.

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Good Morning Jamie We are sorry to hear this has happened. Though are happy to hear Kogan are looking after you. Kind regards iRobotJust an update about my dealing with Kogan online , they have sent a replacement but it was very dirty and 2nd hand , a lot of parts are missing from the new box , I have added a video for those that are thinking of purchasing of kogan , I have requested a full refund and will purchase from the Au web page https://youtu.be/QBEEOfCfo2oHI Jamie I am sorry to hear this. Thank you for keeping us all updated on your dealings. Kind regards iRobot

Turned into a toy really for my husband

Bought this as a birthday gift for my husband last year and at first he loved it until it drove him nuts as it always needs emptying after each use and has to be put on charge too for long time for short run time. Fun slowly turned bad but it's good on our wood floors but no so much on our carpets

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Hi Sarah v Shazza We are sorry to hear the amusement wore off so quickly with your husband. If you could please contact our office on 130 727 421 with reference C0156392. We would very mush like to discuss the above with you more. Kind regards iRobot