Jetstar Platinum Mastercard

See the Best Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

CategoryFrequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards and Balance Transfer Credit Cards
Minimum Credit Limit$6,000
Maximum Credit Limit$100,000
Minimum Income $30,000
Additional Cardholders 4
Additional Cardholder Fee $39 p.a.
Minimum Repayments2.5%
Late Payment Fee$35
Annual Fee$169 p.a.
Foreign Transaction Fee 3%
Interest Free Period 55 days
Cash Advance Rate21.99% p.a.
Introductory Offers
Sign-Up Bonus Earn 0.5 Qantas Point per $1 spent on eligible purchases.
Introductory Rate Up to 55 days interest free on everyday purchases.
Reduced First Year Annual Fee $69.00
Balance Transfer Rates
Balance Transfer Period 14 months
Balance Transfer Rate 0% p.a.

Bait and Switch

I applied for a Jetstar Platinum card, but got issued a standard card with a $12000 limit. When I asked why I didn't get the card I applied for, I was advised that I didn't meet the criteria for that card, so they issued a different card instead. Obviously credit worthiness is not one of the criteria that wasn't met because I was issued a credit limit in excess if the $6000 minimum credit limit of the platinum card. When I asked about the criteria, I was advised that that is confidential bank information. I have a Vedascore over 850, a perfect credit history, and a high income, so I suspect that the criteria I missed was the likelihood of revolving and paying significant amounts of interest. I believe that this type of conduct is illegal under the Australian Consumer Law. Companies simply cannot deliver inferior products when you agree to purchase a different product. This is the classic bait and switch and is absolutely unethical behavior from Macquarie Bank, the issuer of the cards. The customer service when dealing with the above issue and the application was also very poor. They took three weeks to "approve" my application, and the application process was quite invasive compared to other banks. My advice if you are in the market for a new card is to avoid the enquiry on your credit file which will affect your credit score in the short term, and apply for a different product.

problems

applied for the jetstar platinum mastercard on account of the generous vouchers for flights. However not easy to use, expiry dates make things difficult, and they only send out vouchers in multiples of $200 and won't credit the unused portion of the voucher. Biggest problem however was that some merchants didn't accept the card through their chip reader. It would say "communication error" or claim my PIN was wrong. Trying the transaction again usually didn't work. My wife's card, with a competitor, worked fine on those occasions. The problem happened more frequently whilst overseas. No reply to my email requests for an explanation, so I will either be ditching the card altogether, or getting a second card for back up. Also, the international transaction fee seems a little higher than competitors.
Flight vouchers
Tight rules on flight vouchers; Card sometimes refused by merchants, high international transaction fee

well jetstar finally got back to me, 3 weeks after I emailed them. They said my card was working okay and that they have no control over the card reader at the merchant end. No reply when I explained that an alternative credit card worked okay. They also added that they are not allowed to recommend cards from competitors. No help at all. They t