12Kia Carnival

Kia Carnival Questions & Answers

Keithc · Carnival

I had purchased a new 2023 Kia Carnival SLi in January 2023 and have had problem with the sliding door a month into getting the car. The sliding door doesn't close or open every now and then. It just makes a beeping sound and I end up manually having to slide it close or open. I've taken it back to Kia 3 times and it is still happening. Does anybody else have this issue? Keen to see if I'm an isolated case as this is very annoying.

Just to clarify, its the Diesel SLi

Hoff
Hoff

Hi, mine does that if I don't have it in park. If I stop the car and the kids are eager to get out it will make the noise and not open. As soon as I put it in park it works. Kia has a recall on some model carnivals, I know my car is one that has been recalled due to the sliding doors for some reason

Keithc

Thanks Hoff, I'm aware about the park brake needing to be on for it to open. The door issue happens when it is in park and also when the engine is off. It would either not operate or stop mid way. I've even recently had the door open whilst I was driving a quarter of the way and then close all by itself. Going to get it looked at for the 4th time tomorrow.

Tim Rae
Tim Rae

2016 Platinum did this on both rear doors, one each year for 2 years in 2018/19. up to 6 trips later to KIA, they replaced the motor and the wiring loom in each door and wall, all fixed after finally listening to me on the Sedona forums in the US on the same issue. Kia in Caloundra is terrible, stay clear as the muppet apprentices dropped our door twice and off to the paint shop twice. Morrayfield fixed our first left-hand door over 4 trips to the service dept replacing the wire first then the motor (with Kia Aus supervising by video link), and free car wash each time. For this reason, we have gone to an S Kia and stayed clear of the electric door sli or Platinum. Just wait till the electric struts on the boot make winning noises on you and Kia hit you up for $1000. Korean shit. All of these things happened on other posts in the 2016 model as described until the motor and wire were swapped. https://www.kia-forums.com/threads/a-good-news-for-2015-sedona-power-sliding-door-issue.352539/

wendy mitchell
wendy mitchell · Carnival KA4 2.2L Diesel SLi (2020-2024)

does this SLi have heated leather seats

rogersp · Carnival

Is there any way of removing the 2022 Kia Carnival outboard second row seats?

Debro

Roger, Yes the seat can be removed. They simply release by pulling a cord.
If you're still interested please email me:
bernburg@bigpond.net.au.
I can send you photos and more details.
Deb

rogersp

"They simply release by pulling a cord." No they do not, the side impact air bags and seat belt sensor cabling needs to be disconnected first. Then they can be removed. What I need to find out is if the disconnecting of these safety items will effect. the operation of the car.

Adrian F.
Adrian F.

I also want to get an answer to this, manual seems to ignore the existence of the cables.

Debro
Debro · Carnival KA4 2.2L Diesel SLi (2020-2024)

I have a Kia Carnival 2011 model and the 2nd row seat fold up unclip and can be easily removed. I have reviewed several Kia Carnival 2022 videos youtube overseas, which show how easily the 2nd row seats can be removed.
Could this be confirmed as same feature in the Australia Vehicles, please?
I have asked several dealers with a 50/50 result some say yes some say no.
But they don't have an SLi for me to view for myself or to show me.
I want to remove the seats so we can camp in the vehicle (occasionally) as we do with our 2011 model.
I would like someone with a 2022 SLi model to confirm this with me please.

Debro
Debro · Carnival KA4 2.2L Diesel SLi (2020-2024)

Could this be confirmed as same feature in the Australia Vehicles, please?
I have asked several dealers with a 50/50 result some say yes some say no.
But they don't have an SLi for me to view for myself or to show me.
I would like someone with a 2022 SLi model to confirm this with me please.

John

Same question here. The Youtube video does not say which country model. Has anyone removed the 2nd row seats in Australia and New Zealand models of Kia Carnival?

John

Which Carnival model in which country can you remove the 2nd row seats easily and put back easily?

Debro

After purchasing our new Kia Carnival, we found out the seats can be removed easily. In fact the same method as the videos online (different countries) except the release wire is under the seat. There is a C clip that holds this wire onto a rod. Just pull off this C shaped clip and PULL the wire. The seat will release and you can lift it from the floor. There are 3 wires to unplug also. These wires are only for telling the driver if the passenger has not put on their seat belt. The wire tuck into the floor. I can provide photos and a small video about where the C clip is located. The seats easily remove just like the videos and our old Carnival. It is called temporary removal of the seats because they can be put back in. Follow the instructions on video to do it properly.

John

Hi Debro,which country are you in please? I've shown the video to some Kia sellers in New Zealand. But they said that does not work in New Zealand models i.e. EX Model or something.

Debro

Hi John, We are in Australia. And we found the same problem, the seller won't tell us/you or perhaps they don't know how the seats come out. WE were originally told there was 4 bolts to remove the seat. This was incorrect. We found out the hard way by paying a wheelchair company who then showed us the mechanism -the C shape clip and wire to pull which is under the seat and the seats come out and go back in the same way as the middle seat (and the same as those videos and older model Kia Carnivals) The middle seat has a cord to pull to release it from the floor. The two outer seats don't have the cord to pull but the mechanism is under the seat. Locate the C shape clamp, unclip it and pull it - the seat then releases from the floor. There are three wires to unplug under the seat, in the new vehicles, the wires are to tell the driver if someone does not have their seat belt on. This is not a safety risk, only a feature. I think the reason they are not installing the cord or giving instructions, is perhaps people don't reinstate the seats properly making a safety risk. There is a green dot to indicate you have reinstated the seat properly. The same instructions as you see on all those videos from other countries. In Australia I am told, taking the seats out and putting them back in is called 'temporary removal' and as long as you can put them back in is it not permanent removal. I have photos to show the C- shape clip located under the seat but i don't know how to attach the photo to this thread. In Australia our models are called S, Si, Sli, and a special edition called SE, and Platinum. I can send you the photo if you give me a contact. Perhaps there is a way to attach it to these threads but I can't see a way. Hope this helps. We love camping in the vehicle so much space.

John

Thank you so much Debro for such a detailed explanation. Here is my email. southbear123@gmail.com
Could you send me the photos please. Your help is greatly appreciated. "Temporary removal", that's exactly what I want. "Need to remove the four bolts", that's what the sellers told me as well.

Richard K.
Richard K.

I have done this to my KA premium and was as described but now the airbag light is lit on the dash mine also has 4 wires to disconnect 3 small and i large does anyone have any ideas please

Debro

Take the vehicle to an auto electrician and he will do something called "resistance" to rectify the light coming on. We have 3 plug wires under the seat.
But we understand the air bag's are on the sides of the vehicle nothing to do with the seats. So you may have a different matter with the air bag light on the dash. The guy who did our wiring was called the Car Doctor on Gold Coast in Qld, Aust.

Linda l
Linda l · Carnival

We have a 2008 grand Kia carnival, we have just had the immobiliser replaced and have now been told that the cars computer needs replacing at a cost of $4000, has anyone had this problem to deal with. Not sure to get it fixed or look at another car

Erin Nurthen
Erin Nurthen · Carnival

When driving my 2010 Diesel Grand Carnival at 100km an hour my car kept shutting down. It would just turn off and I'd have to let it coast off the road, stop it, turn it off and restart it. Anyone have any idea why this is happening suddenly?

melaaa · Carnival

has anyone actually had any success after an engine rebuild our POS kia 2012 started blowing smoke at 81000kms and well has done nearly 17000 smoking everytime its starts (embarssing yep people the car I spent too much on near new) but since I was advised it would die which it hasn't like a cockroach that just won't give up needs the valve stem seals done but no one wants to do the job at as its a total crap show to do we are now in talks of an engine rebuild makes sure all the issues are good as how can they guarantee a second hand engine won't do the same but the rebuild starts at $4000 new engine was quoted $7000 installed probably cheaper than a new car but will I still be stuck with a POS

Ian Hudson
Ian Hudson · Carnival

My 05 Kia was working fine than I put degresser on the motor and a bucket of water over it. Bt problem is now the damn thing won't fire. It cranks over bt wont fire.
Checked all the fuse none are blown. Any ideas pls would help me out alot.

Gaza Jimbo

Depends on the engine type.
In general, water may be stopping the proper spark from occurring.
Water & electronics don't mix.
If it's a petrol engine, remove each spark plug cap, at each end on the lead, one at a time, and use CRC or RP7 to spray inside the plug cap before putting it back. Don't allow excess fluid to sit in the cap.
Then, using the CRC/RP7, spray any other exposed electrical connection that may have collected water.
By now, the engine may have already dried off & started working.

Gaza Jimbo
Gaza Jimbo · Carnival YP (2015-2020)

How many people purchased a new YP Carnival during the offer of FREE GPS map updates for 3 years, but didn't receive any updates. Refused by their dealer or Kia Australia?

Peter
Peter · Carnival

What causes a Kia carnival to cut off fuel and spark?

Gaza Jimbo

I assume by your question that you have a petrol (not diesel) Carnival.
This sort of issue is likely to be generic to any modern vehicle.
As it is effecting fuel & spark, Its could be ECU or a sensor. Best way to find out is with a diagnostic unit.
Obviously Kia will have one, but I don't know if other tuners will have access.

michaela47
michaela47 · Carnival

If I buy a 2018 second hand do I still get the remainder of the 7 year warranty?

Family H

Luke
Luke · Carnival

Hey is the kia carnival 07 engine the same as a 05

melaaa

No idea I was told to buy June 2010 onwards and got a 2012 just over 4 years ago and still got an expensive probelm and the man that fixes them said that he fixed a 2016 same issues motor blowing smoke so I dont think any of them are any good worst decision I ever made buying a kia he also said don't buy the hyundai he fixes those as well

BeeDevine
BeeDevine · Carnival YP (2015-2020)

Looking to buy a carnival but want to tow a 1700 camper. How does it tow on long trips, up hills? What is better - diesel or petrol? 4cyl or 6 cyl?

Jeff Oberry
Jeff Oberry · Carnival

How do I fill up the gearbox in a 2000 Kia carnival 2.5l v6?

Feathers
Feathers · Carnival

What is the problem with my Kia when a camshaft correlation CKP B2/A Fault code and also random misfire fault code 2006 3.8litre auto Grand Carnival Thankyou for ur feedback Regards Feathers

NitinChhatwal
NitinChhatwal · Carnival YP (2015-2020)

Wonder when will Product Review change the Kia Carnival Photo?

Hindo
Hindo

I think as well as that they need to separate the different models and reviews because the current Carnival's are nothing like the older models with the same name

Dave
Dave

Correct,The new Carnival resembles a european car with great power and luxury and is nothing like the old carnival..

Sue
Sue · Carnival

Recently bought a 2005 Kia Carnival. It has the V6 24 quad cam motor. Is this the motors that are faulty. I’m planning on a long trip along the Nullarbor ( desert territory) I need to know the risks. Please. Any advice from Carnival owners. Or previous owners.

Kristen
Kristen

To my knowledge the Kia motors from 1999 -2003 has difficulties. But mechanics are weary of the older kia. We think the 05 is ok but we aren’t mechanics and don’t have experience with an 05 model ourselves. We had a 2013 and now 2017 model.

Annabelle R.
Annabelle R.

How did you trip go

Pete
Pete · Carnival

What years should you avoid at all cost in the Kia Carnival?

Mel C
Mel C

Mine is a 2005 model. I believe the ones before mine were all bad as well.

Get an answer from our members and Kia representatives

Select a listing for your question
Kia Carnival