Kia Optima TF

Kia Optima TF (2011-2015)

3.6

• Boot Size
  • Comfort
  • Features

Big End Bearings Gone at 130000

Purchased TF Optima MY14 2.4l second hand in May 2016 with 42500km. Had a great run no problems until a slight tick developed and escalated to a big rattle/knock. Mechanic called it as big end failure at 130700km. Needs a rebuild or secondhand engine $6000. This is not good enough for a modern vehicle.
It is the third the mechanic has had with this 2.4l motor in the last few weeks. Appears to be a problem with this motor. If it was 6 months younger it would have still been in warranty.

Purchased in May 2016 for $15,990.00.

Gavin E.Qld, 4170

Engine Failure

Purchased in September 2014 at Private for $20,000.00.

Amir

AmirAdelaide

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER KIA

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Sedans

Find out how Kia Optima TF compares to other Sedans

Excellent reliable

Great car, no problem at all. it has all the features, leather heated and cool seat, very reliable and had none fault. service interval 15000 km and very cheap around $200. Excellent handling. I love the panoramic roof.Better than German cars Audi and Bmw etc. I would recommend to everyone.

Date PurchasedJan 2013
Norm

NormGold Coast

Great car

I bought my 2012 Kia Optima new and it has now done 102,000 klms and have had nothing done on it ,this car has been a pleasure to own and drive i sort of keep waiting for something to go wrong with it but never does,i would recommend this car to anyone out there looking at this type of car,the engine noise is a bit loud on take off but you get used to it and it has heaps of power as well.

Date PurchasedMay 2012
Louise Cropley

Louise Cropley

Fantastic car

What a fantastic car. Not only is it a pleasure to drive, but it has enough power to feel quite sporty. The only problem we have identified with these cars is their seats are incredibly uncomfortable, which unfortunately can be a limiting factor and almost caused us to sell it. Some wool seat covers fixed the problem and now we can take it on long drives (more than an hour) and not feel numb afterwards.

BadgeSi
Engine Size2.0
Date PurchasedJune 2014
Nev

NevIllawarra, NSW

A great car for long trips

The Optima is probably the best handling car I have ever driven, although a little harsh on really rough roads. The interior is conservative, which I like, and all controls operate smoothly and positively. The car has given no problems at all and has been used for trips to Cairns and Melbourne, returning fuel consumption figures between 6.8 and 7.1 litres per 100 kilometres. Although a little noisy under acceleration, it is very quiet at highway speeds. The longer I own this car the better I like it.

BadgeSi
Date PurchasedAug 2015

Elaine AMid North Coast, NSW

Good car, bad company

We love the performance of our OPTIMA as it does everything Kia claims. Mileage on a long trip comes in around 6ltrs per 100 ks driving to speed signage. It handles well but you do hear a lot of road noise especially if your tyres are too hard. The interior would be better if the leather was a light colour as black is a little hot for Australia and back seat passengers seem to have a problem putting on their seat belts. The reason we have not given five stars is the rust problem and the fact Kia will not honour their warranty. We have found areas on the body that wasn't even painted so unless you live in Central Australia you are going to experience rust. We love our OPTIMA but we just wish it didn’t have the rust problem.

Date PurchasedMay 2012
Elaine A

Further to my review we have just had a recall on our Optima as there is a major problem with the engine bearings. It is a shame as the car has everything you could want in a vehicle.

Iwantservice

Find out how Kia Optima TF compares to other Sedans

Peter

Peter

2015

I have a 2015 Kia Optima SLi which I purchased new in June last year. Overall I like the car with plenty of interior room as well as boot space. The car is comfortable to drive and on a long journey I can get 7.5l/100kms. But there are a couple of things I feel Kia could look at. The side mirrors need a little more protection because when it rains the water runs all over them and it is hard to see what is behind you. Also the rear window needs a wiper on all models so again when it rains you can see a bit clear behind you. I think the shockies on mine at least could be upgraded as I compare them to the Camry Altise I use for work seem to be much better than mine.

Engine Size2.4 litre
peeps

peepsSydney, NSW

Style with a bit of substance

The Optima is certainly a good-looker; it has heaps of extras - the reverse camera with sensors is great, otherwise rear vision would be limited. The Sat Nav is awkward - you have to reprogram it on arrival, otherwise it keeps barking at you to turn around, go up a tree or another irritating suggestion. Ride is harsh over speed humps etc but that's part of its sporty set-up. Optima is great for effortless touring.

B2B

B2BPerth

Best 4 cylinder sedan

Excellent car I love it as it comes with tons of features. Friends and family love it as well to drive or be passengers.
Drives great, smooth to drive, sun and moon roof in black looks fantastic, quick of the line, easy to handle, cheap on fuel as it's a 4 cylinder and looks fantastic wherever you drive it.

James

JamesAU

My cousin has a very nice car!

After being with my cousin (who owns this car)
I was impressed at how nice it looks, I am a little Bias as I own a Kia Sportage
Car did run very well, looks nice inside and out, quiet ride. Running costs are pretty good too.
However the car is a little expensive to buy. Kia helps you a lot after sale when you go into their dealer if you want anything.

Engine SizeNot sure of engine size, I do know It is the smallest option though

Babs_JohnsonAU

Good

Babs_Johnson

Update: The hybrid is now available. This pushes the Optima into a new field and separates it from most rivals. This engine and transmission are totally made by Kia/Hyundai. "Take notice" the word is out and the old tired car boys are not happy.

fayeT
fayeT
Eran
Eran

Gavin E.asked

Optima TF (2011-2015)

I am disappointed that my Kia Optima has crankshaft knock from failed bearings at 180k's after I had it back to Kia Mt Gravatt for the recall and had the all clear.
I was told the crankshaft was within tolerances which I find it hard to believe that they removed the bottom sump and measured the crankshaft with the pistons removed and measured the crank where the big end bearings would run on the crank all this within a couple of hours,
I think the more likey scenario they checked the vin range for the defect and found my vehicle was not in the vin range and replaced the old dipstick with the new dipstick which i suspect the old dipstick was giving the wrong reading for measuring oil.
I want to know since I did work with the brand for 4 years and I have personally influenced some of my family and friends to purchase a Kia car so far 2 x Cerato and 1 x Sportage what would Kia do to assist in having the engine repaired? given there is a whole Kia forum with Optima 2.4L customers with the same issue.

Kia Optima TF (2011-2015)

Compare all 4 Kia Optima
CategorySedans
Starting Price $31,490
TransmissionAutomatic
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)
Fuel TypePetrol