Linksys WRT54GL

See the Best Routers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Scam Reviews Are Fake Do Not Buy

Horrible horrible network, struggle to buffer videos can't play any online game. Disconnects randomly 5 times a day. Most pathetic wifi I can't believe i wasted my money. In hot days the wifi is unusable it doesn't work and the customer service is just as ugly. All the people are fat and lazy who don't bother to do there job. My advice stay away from this and find a better network.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Very old now, but still excellent after 9 years.

I purchased this router in 2008, basically because, at the time, it was a state of the art machine with 802.11g capabilities. Later on, of course, wireless 802.11n was released and now, (2017), wireless 802.11AC is now the standard. So, as you can see, a lot of water has passed under the bridge and now, although the router is still working after all this time, I have since upgraded to a new AC router for fast data streaming. I would class this router as obsolete now.

Date PurchasedFeb 2008

Still havent upgraded!

I have had this for years now and still haven't upgraded to anything new, because its still working and still doing a great job.
Its a bit more suited to enthusiasts as it can be a bit tricky to setup, but with an extra long set of antenna you can really push the distance of this out.
reliable
ugly

When I started researching wireless routers I found out about router features that I had never given a thought about, but which when I learnt of them I knew I couldn't do without them. The downside of this knowledge was that the routers that had those features had numbers on their price tags like they were Zimbabwean dollars. But I am thankful for having been forced to expand my original purchase criteria because otherwise I would now have been stuck with a router that I would have grown out of within the first week of owning it. Trouble was how do you justify those Zimbabwean price tags? Well the Linksys flashed with open source firmware saved me the pain. There are other brands that can similarly be upgraded but with varying levels of functionality. And manufacturers are wisening up to this by making their newer models harder to upgrade with open source firmware so that they can protect the market for their high end routers. Check out DD-WRT and Tomato for starters.
Upgradeable with open source firmware that unleashes powerful features that would normally only be found on upmarket routers. Reliable connection. Great range.
No on/off switch.

Great little router! Because it's open source you can flash it with better firmware such as DD-WRT or Tomato to further increase the power behind this router. Untouched, the wireless range is excellent. With new firmware, this little box becomes as powerful as a commercial router worth 10 times as much. I've bought 3 and created a Wireless Distribution System so every part of my entire property has range!
Open Source, Reliable, Dual Antennae
It's only 54mbps

The best router that i have ever seen.