3Medela Freestyle Flex

4.3
4.4
Light, compact and portable
Cordless, hands-free operation
Easy and comfortable to use
A little pricey at $549.95

candice m.
candice m.South East Queensland, QLD4 posts

Not really that portable. Had to replace parts within 3 months

I find it hard to do anything while pumping with this machine. It advertises as portable but you really can't pick up your child or do much. I constantly knock the pause button if I even try to move around. The other thing is after 3 months I have now had to replace the connectors and the tubing. For the price I paid I would assume this would work for longer but I guess that's why the warranty is 90 days. I contacted medela to ask about why this is happening essentially got told to replace the parts and make sure I'm using them as stated to. Not really another way to so that was unhelpful. Show details
Rachael
RachaelCentral Queensland, QLD2 posts

RebeccaGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC3 posts

Criminal that this is still on the market

I had 5 of these break within 6 months (Medela keep replacing them) doesn’t last more than two months. Obvious charging fault. Disgraceful. Lost milk supply and caused so much stress.
Other minor issues, the poor design means they leak when you bend over, wasting milk.
The interface doesn’t lock so if you try to use it as a portable pump (which it is designed for) the setting randomly changes up (painfull!!!) or down (wasting time).
Medela should be ashamed they continue to market, sell and distributes faulty product (the charging issues has been going on since 2011 if you look on reviews/forums). To make it worse the RRP is $549. Show details
Marla V.
Marla V.5 posts

Easy to use, gets milk out quickly!

I've used this pump 3 times since i bought it from Baby Bunting and so far it's been really good and easy to use. Yes, it's pricier than most pumps on the market buy I feel it's justified as it also comes with a pump bag, cooler bag + ice pack specific for the medela bottles plus extra sizes for flanges in case one doesn't fit.

I've been using a hakaa and hand expressing before this and using this was a game changer! Gets so much milk in such little time too :)

Little tip that I watched on youtube though is make sure it doesn't tip over or keep the bottle upright cause apparently it can easily spill out that liquid gold. Show details ·  1

Felicity Egginton
Felicity EggintonSouth East Queensland, QLD3 posts
  Fair Incentive
Claire
ClaireAPPLECROSS3 posts

Love it & love their service

I love my Medela pump. I did have a problem with the pump motor and contacted Medela support and they sent a new motor to me straight away. Very happy : ) Highly recommended. Show details ·  1
Carrie B.
Carrie B.

Spills, poor suction

I barely bent over to lay my baby down and milk spilled EVERYWHERE! This has happened several times. Wth is the point of having a portable pump if you can’t bend over?!!! Show details
James
James2 posts

Useless after 12 weeks

Writing on behalf of the wife. The Freestyle Flex completely loses suction after 12 weeks. We were told to replace all components including the piping, flanges and cups as “they wear out after 3-6 months” - none of this made a difference, except another $100 to Medela and $100 less in our wallet. A complete waste of money. This is not a technique issue because it was fine up until then. Breastfeeding Mums don’t have time to wait around for warranty claims to remedy defective products and I’m sure Medela knows this. This product is a lemon - steer clear of it. Show details
Joojo
JoojoAU

Ashley M.
Ashley M.

Annoyed parts don't last long

Annoyed. After 1 week the membranes are warped. I'm on my second set now and looks like I will have to get a 3rd. I clean and sanitize as to their instructions which is daily, and it seems all it does is warp them and they no longer fit tightly. Also it's not like I can just buy the membranes, I have to buy an entire new adaptor set. I Can't really afford almost $50 a week/2 weeks especially as I exclusively pump and was told by Medela when I contacted them the first time their representative said I should only need to replace them every 2ish months. Show details
Pleased from Perth
Pleased from PerthPerth, WA3 posts

Fantastic just as good as the hospital grade one... highly recommended

I ordered this while I was using/hiring the hospital grade Medela double pump I received this 2 weeks later so I was use to a great pump. This pump is amazing the breast shields fit perfectly and I got the bra to fit with it aswell so i can do things around the house, cook dinner or sit and relax while I pump and the time goes by really quickly. I highly recommend this pump 5 star Show details ·  1
Sarah M.
Sarah M.

Easy to use

Comfortable and easy to use. Takes me about 5 minutes to get enough milk for a serve. I use it with the bra for hands free. Battery lasts multiple uses. Show details ·  1
Jade Casebow
Jade Casebow2 posts

Chloe
ChloeGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Kimmy Jane R.
Kimmy Jane R.Canberra Central 2601, ACT

EP from 4.5 months. Love portability

Perfect for exclusive pumping and not being stuck sitting for 20-30min. With the right sized flanges I've been able to increase supply. As I started EP at 4.5 months due to distracted little boy and mastitis episode my supply isnt the greatest to begin with, I'm glad I was able to increase supply with this pump
Only negative- cord to hang around wrist would be great for a neck chain, and the cost is quite high compared to similar pumps on the market Show details ·  1

Michaela G.
Michaela G.

I purchased a freestyle flex for my last baby. I pumped for 11 weeks before the device lost suction completely. It was highly stressful, especially as we headed into a snap lockdown the day before and no shops were open. I had to abandon feeding with breastmilk which was so disappointing. I was unable to have it covered under warranty as it was purchased by me on an Australian site but I live in New Zealand.
It’s just not worth the money and stress to have something die so quickly - still scarred by it and the mastitis that followed! Don’t be fooled by the 2 year warranty as it’s useless a lot of time. Disappointed and searching for an alternative for my next pump as I need something reliable.

Chloe J.
Chloe J.

I have recently changed from the Medela electric maxi double pump to the Medela Electric flexi double and have run into a bit of trouble. I am finding that the overall power of the pump is nothing the same as the maxi and is still leaving my breast half full and not properly draining them.
Would just like to know why this is ?

Santu G.
Santu G.

Same here I purchase freestyle 10 days ago anita section power is too low it only section on one breast only

Becks
Becks

With the Freestyle Flex it says 250 hour operating life, could you please confirm if this is for the motor or the more easily replaced parts?

See all Medela Freestyle Flex questions

Features:

• This double electric breast pump is light to tote around in your handbag, weighing just 300g.
  • A built-in rechargeable battery is powered via a USB port.
  • Pairs with the MyMendela smartphone app, so you can time your pumping sessions and record the amount of milk you’ve expressed.
  • Digital interface is equipped with touchscreen controls, so you can pause pumping, switch to expression mode or adjust vacuum levels.
  • Comes with Medela PersonalFit Flex breast shields, which help with both comfort and producing more milk.

Points of praise for the Medela Freestyle Flex:

• Easy to use and comfortable when it came to expressing milk, and also easy to clean.
  • The cordless, hands-free operation was highly appreciated by new mothers, along with the lightweight build and ease of portability.
  • Long battery life was another plus point, with some mothers saying that they can use it for 2-3 days (used up to three times a day) before the pump needs charging.
  • The double breast pump functionality means you’ll get more milk in a shorter space of time, making this pump an efficient option for expressing milk.