Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class X156

Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class X156 (2014-2021)

Also referred to as: Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class X156 2020 and Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class X156 2022. GLA 180, GLA 250 4MATIC, GLA 45 4MATIC, etc...
See the Best Small / Compact SUVs in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Mercedes-Benz? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Braking
  • Comfort
  • Features
ERNESTO
ERNESTOSydney, NSW

I wouldn't do it again..

Purchased in May 2018 at Mercedes-Benz Dealers for $63,000.00.

emross
emrossGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Very happy customer

Purchased in March 2020 at Mercedes-Benz Dealers for $44,000.00.

Gerald a
Gerald aCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Noisy excessive road noise

GLA250 2016. It’s not a bad car but not at MBs expected quality or standard .
Mechanicals and cabin are fine road noise is not. Run flat tyres are very noisy on anything other than a very smooth road service . At 110km on the Calder freeway which is a course chip surface the sound system is drowned out by road noise . It ok at 60/80 kmh in the metro area but that’s not where I drive.
We test drove the car in the Metro area . Next time we’ll make sure it’s on our roads. Big mistake.

Purchased in August 2018 at Mercedes Berwick for $47,000.00.

Small / Compact SUVs

Find out how Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class X156 compares to other Small / Compact SUVs

Jurek
JurekSydney, NSW

It's pretty good. But....

Overall, this is a good car. But, for the money, it should be.
The engine is fabulous. Handling is excellent. Build quality good.
Crazy exhaust sounds good (at least, I like it).
The dual clutch gearbox is OK. I guess. Would have preferred a manual.
The electronics however are a bit flaky.
False positives are quite common. Flat tire alert. Go for a coffee alert. You are about to crash alert. And so on.
One wonders how all this electronic gear is going to work after a few years.
Servicing in not cheap (I knew that).
Warranty is short. 3 years. But do not forget your rights under Australian Consumer Law.

Purchased in April 2016 at Mercedes-Benz Dealers for $93,000.00.

PollySydney, NSW

Excellent Vlaue

handles well. good economy. every extra one could hope for.
The urban Edition is the best value. sunroof. larger wheels 4wd
The qa of the fit out is great. Perhaps the warranty could run to 5 years?

Purchased in May 2019 for $48,000.00.

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
THoo9
THoo9Canberra 2600, ACT

Awesome little car

My GLA220d is amazing. I use it to take my dragon boating stuff around NSW and ACT and it has never missed a beat. I do a lot of driving to and from university and it has never let me down. It is quite fuel efficient, getting about 750-900km out of a small fuel tank. I bought this car second hand from a Mercedes-Benz dealer in perfect condition. The service was quick and they gave me a loan car for the day. There is a slight lag when you start accelerating, but you do get used to it after a while.

Purchased in June 2018 at Mercedes-Benz Dealers.

TonyKGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great little car.

We bought this car replacing the ML350 which was a bucket of crap.
This car has all the features we expect along with the safety which is one of the main reasons I have stuck with the brand. Love the apple car play and the car is nippy, well appointed and fairly frugal on fuel.

Date PurchasedJune 2017
Fair Women
Fair WomenSydenham

A touch of class

This is my first Mercedes-Benz and I must say it won’t be my last. The sleek, smooth driving with a touch of class SUV definitely ticked many boxes for me.

The panoramic sunroof, leather seats, memory seats, command sound system, 19 inch wheels is simply the best car I’ve ever owned.

I was never a Mercedes-Benz fan but after owning this I can confirm why.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Deb
DebShepparton

Dream car Mercedes GL 180

Quiet great drive looks amazing white 2018 GL 180 leather and Swede inside stripe seats in love with my new car white in colour. With bom stripes on the bonett of car and roof. Best ever car to drive great service from brad at shepparton ken muston dealers great follow up after sale brad

BadgeC180
Line0
BodyCoupe
Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Adeline W
Adeline WTownsville

Luxury and fuel efficient car - GLA 220d

Contemporary exterior, fuel efficient (fill a tank once every 3-4 weeks), there’s plenty of tech on offer as standard, things like cruise control, all-round parking sensors, and even parking assist that can help you get into tight parking spaces. Overall very happy with this car and will keep it for at least 5 years!

BadgeGLA220
Date PurchasedMay 2017
Tim
TimMelbourne

High quality compact car

The interior design is very good! Simple and practical, easy to use. You can press the button directly to radio, gps, car settings. And when you make a call you can direct press number button like you call from your phone.
And it’s easy to drive, sensor combined with several cameras. Most important is the safety, it has 9 airbags and sensor will remind you when you drive, blind spot sensors are also helpful.
The price is reasonable and the main drawback is the space, it’s not big. But it’s ok for me. the car is not big so it’s much flexible to drive in busy streets

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Steve LittleBrisbane

Fun car with a bit of luxury

TransmissionDCT
Date PurchasedNov 2017
Steve Little

This week we have had the car two years. Its been just great with no problems other than having to replace 2x punctured run-flat tyres, from separate incidents. Car is great on petrol and runs really well still. Highly recommend.

Jenny B
Jenny BGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

I love my new MB GLA250

My new car has heaps of power, lots of extras with the usual German engineering and quality. A very safe little unit. I purchased it from Mercedes Benz Berwick (Victoria). It's a little heavy on the juice but I expect this will settle once the car has done a few k's.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Pj Haris
Pj HarisGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

the best car i ever had

bought this awesome piece of work last year and in love with it, bought it from the first owner and he looked after it really well, the shape the auto brake system, i love it when i go in the tunnel where i have to goin 80km and i just can relax, the lights gets on, the brakes gets controlled, good choice if you wantto buy a big car

Date PurchasedMar 2016
TLG
TLGAlbury

My First Smaller Car and I Love it

I have previously driven larger 4wd drive wagons, this is my first smaller car and I must say I Love it! Great style sports car, yet fits a family of four in relative comfort.There is sufficient legroom, but for anyone on the taller size, it is only a small car, so may not be the perfect fit. Have the 250 with all the AMG accessories. It is very fuel efficient and a smooth ride, however sometimes slightly rigid.

Date PurchasedJuly 2015

McKenzieasked
GLA-Class X156 GLA 180 (2015-2021)

How does the performance of the gla 1.6 engine compare with the 180k ?

Polly

We nearly always put it into sports mode. And it goes well. A bit heavy on petrol though.

McKenzie

Thank you. We live in the Qld country and currently drive a C180k which has excellent acceleration when passing trucks etc. I am looking at a GLA but am a bit concerned the 1.6 turbo may be a bit stretched. Perhaps the 200 D or 250 may be better.

Vishal
Vishalasked
GLA-Class X156 (2014-2021)

Any engine wise problems? Thinking to buy it

TonyK

The petrol 250 has not missed a beat, loads of power and still pretty fuel efficient. I believe the newest diesel had a recall and is higher on costs for service.

Josh P.
Josh P.asked
GLA-Class X156 (2014-2021)

hi just wondering what common problems the Mercedes-benz GLA 250 have (2016 model) , and how much they roughly cost to repair.

TonyK

Personally we have not had any real issues with our GLA 250 and we had servicing included in our deal from Mercedes. our vehicle has done roughly 67,000 now and so far very happy and very reliable.

See all Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class X156 (2014-2021) questions

Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class X156 (2014-2021)

Compare all 6 Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class X156 (2014-2021)
CategorySmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVs
Starting Price $50,010$57,624$67,967$99,664
TransmissionDual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)Dual-Clutch (DCT)
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolDieselPetrolPetrol
Wheels18" Alloy18" Alloy19" Alloy20" Alloy
Fuel Consumption5.7 L/100km4.5 L/100km7 L/100km7.5 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 50 L50 L56 L56 L
Engine4 Cylinder 1.6L4 Cylinder 2.1L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L
Max Power90kW @ 5000rpm130kW @ 4000rpm155kW @ 5500rpm280kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque200Nm @ 1250-4000rpm350Nm @ 1400-3400rpm350Nm @ 1200-4000rpm475Nm @ 2250-5000rpm
Country of ManufactureGermanyGermanyGermanyGermany
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,200 kg1,500 kg1,800 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJan 2015Jan 2016Apr 2014Apr 2014
Compare all 6 Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class X156 (2014-2021)