Mitsubishi ASX

See the Best Small / Compact SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Owner's Review

Mileage 41000km
2.0lt Petrol CVT AUTO, FWD
Full house (panoramic roof, folding mirrors, rear PDC and camera, climate control etc.
Likes:
Xenon headlight light up road nicely; comfy; roomy inside: lots of useful extras; big mirrors (auto dim on inside rear view) ; economy (avg 8.2 lt/100km mix 60/40 hway/City); power decent for my driving style even fully loaded with months groceries. Handling not bad, sticks to chosen line on bends; full size spare alloy wheel; decent size fuel tank-range over 700km easily; keyless entry and ignition-convenient; Reliability (so far, services were on a service plan which has just expired so haven't paid for servicing yet)-no mechanical issues fo far; CVT gearbox smooth, prefers economic driving, gets to 6th ASAP. Highway driving cruising at low revs at 120kmh. Manual mode quite effective in giving you control; styling-aggressive front, slab sided and neat rear.

Dislikes:
Boot too small. Month's groceries fill boot and have to fold down a portion of the rear seat. Boot is not to deep possibly due to full size alloy wheel sleeping under the mat; no aircon vents for rear passengers (aircon works well though); no rear interior light with panoramic roof so car is dark in the rear (led strip mood lights don't light up the car) ; ASX is a crossover, not an SUV, so visibility not as high from driver's seat as you may wish; tyre noise from rear-still on factory Yokohama-going to try Michelin or Continental next to see if any quieter; body panels very thin and buckle when pressed (lots of plastic in front 1/2 of car.

Hope this helps anyone looking for an ASX. The new current models are basically the same with cosmetic interior and exterior tweeks. Mechanicals are still the same 112kw 192nm engine and transmission.
My recommendation is find a clean neat one with FSH and reasonable mileage and get a good solid car. ASX is a dependable mode of transport without much too much style nor performance but is spacious and reliable. Seen examples still looking good with 160000km on them.
I live in ZA, but ASX's come from same manufacturing plant. AU carsshould be the same.

Purchased in May 2014.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)

Great Vehicle!

I am three months in with my 2019 Mitsubishi ASX and absolutely love it. For the price point, it offers features that no other car in its category can. We were on a budget and looked at various cars prior to purchasing it and nothing else compared. I honestly believe that there is a reason there are so many on the road!

It is a great, reliable car for running errands with children, fair boot space, great keyless entry, apple car play and reversing camera. Everything a modern mum like myself needs to get from A to B.

Our only negative is the road noise can be noticeable if you are on a longer trip or on a freeway, but from day to day this is not noticeable as always busy chatting in the car or listening to a radio.

The extended warranty and capped price servicing was also a selling point. We purchased our vehicle from Brighton Mitsubishi and I also highly recommend their service. A great small family car, commuter car, or car for a couple.

Purchased in March 2019 for $29,000.00.

Perfect for my family

I love my asx ! Mines a 2018 model This is a great car for running around, I have 3 girls and with school and sport and weekend outing I can’t fault our car. We have never had a issue it’s 100% reliable and the fuel economy that I get is second to none. It may not be a 4wd but it is big enough for a pram and a boot full of shopping and a baby seat plus two older children fit comfortably with plenty of room still.

Purchased in June 2018 at McGrath Mitsubishi Liverpool for $23.99.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)

Great Decision

Have had really bad luck buying cars lately, having bought an MG ZS 12 months ago that ended up being biggest mistake (but that’s another story) with the money from the buy back I decided to purchase a Mitsubishi ASX LS, must say wish I had done this March last year and saved myself the heartache. The car is a great for running my errands, going to classes and it handles very well, so far fuel economy is good, the car is comfortable, love the fact that my son who is an Android user, he can borrow my car and plug in he’s phone and use it and more daughter who is an iPhone user can use it as well.

I live that I have a 3 year capped service fee. So far this car has been the best decision I have made in a motor vehicle purchase

Purchased in July 2019 at Zupps Mitsubishi .

buy this one

i have never bought a better car than this,great price for a demo,runs like a dream ,and the standard model has a heap of extras,power win/steer/mirror,rear camera[a must ]sensors all round,and a whopping 18in tyres,and 5 year warranty

Purchased in December 2017.

Excellent car

The car is a 2.2ltr turbo diesel. I have sold the car to my step daughter, she loves it. I did 170,000km and was trouble free. It is fully optioned with moon roof, leather seats e.t.c. The engine has a lot of torque and is great driving around hills and mountains. The fuel economy is great.
It's easy to park and manoeuvre because of its size. Folding down the rear seats turns it into a wagon and has a lot of room.
The only thing that annoyed me was the turbo lag from stop to go.
I definitely recommend this car in the diesel if doing the k's.

Purchased in July 2014.

Love my car

Never had a new car before. Can’t fault it. Love the extra height in traffic.my only transport,easy to park as not big and bulky. Great on fuel and love the reverse camera.

Purchased in October 2018 at Mitsubishi Wollongong for $25,900.00.

Comfort

Strange sound when I take my foot off the accelerator

A couple of months ago I went into the dealership to have my break pads changed (recall), not long after that my car started making a strange sound like it’s got a flat tyre when I take my foot off the accelerator and then disappears when I accelerate. I regularly pump my tyres up or so I know it’s not a flat tyre.. it sounds like it’s coming from the engine.

Purchased in December 2014.

Perfect best decision made

Best car purchase ever.It is used for commuting to & from work & family transport.
I have a 2019 model & everyone that has seen my car wants to purchase one.It comes with a seven year warranty.2 years free servicing.

Purchased in April 2019 at Lander Mitsubishi Blacktown for $26,000.00.

Okay car. Poor quality windscreen

Based on my experience Mitsubishi installs what I believe to be poorly manufactured windscreens into their Mitsubishi ASX models.

I purchased a new Mitsubishi ASX MY 15.5 in 2016. I discovered the windscreen had what I can only describe as very fine sandblasting or milkiness over the entire windscreen. When driving into the direction of the sun at it is low in the sky, 7.30 - 8.30am and 4.30 - 5.30pm daylight saving time Victoria. I see what I think is referred to as flaring and find it particularly distracting. I rarely drive during those hours so it took some time before I noticed the issue. As I’d had the vehicle for some time before I noticed the problem, I figured Mitsubishi would be unlikely to accept it was a possible defect so I just decided to go to the expense of having the windscreen replaced with another genuine Mitsubishi Windscreen thinking the one installed, on the vehicle originally, may have been from a dodgy batch. Wouldn’t you know it, same issue. Then in February this year, with some reluctance I agreed to the purchase of another new Mitsubishi ASX, husband finds it easy to get in and out of. Well low and behold same problem with the windscreen. Spoke with the a guy from the service centre where I bought the vehicle who advised he’s had someone else complain about the problem. Mitsubishi wouldn’t take any responsibility “because it’s the windscreen”, I think the service guy meant there is no warranty on windscreens. He also indicated the problem is generally caused during the lamination process. From what I’ve been able to deduce via research, poor lamination can cause a host of problems including the sandblast/milky effect I’m seeing. The same service guy had pushed the issue with Mitsubishi for nearly 6 months to no avail, eventually installing a non genuine windscreen (paid for by the customer).

I’d be interested to know what the minimum Australian requirements are for visibility through new windscreens. I’d be surprised if Genuine Mitsubishi Windscreens would pass the test. I’ll need to do some research.

Apart from the windscreen with both vehicles which we still own we are relatively happy with the cars. But it’s true. You get what you pay for.

If Mitsubishi are willing to accept what I believe to be poor quality windscreens from manufacturers, what other poor quality components do they accept and build into their vehicles?

Purchased in February 2019.

Perfect size

I love my brand new car! So much space and so stylish but also still easy to drive in traffic and park. Apple car play is a life saver and is so comfortable on short or long trips.

Purchased in December 2018.

Love this car but have big issues with back passenger seat belts, the anchor is much too short, maki

Family transport, short trips most days, serviced when needed.
Issue is with the back passengers seat belts, very very hard to click in as anchor is much too short.
Very happy with how it drives and economical ! Find it easy to get in and out of, good for people with bad backs.

BadgeAsx
Date PurchasedMar 2017

So happy I purchased it

I use my car for commuting to work and I use it daily. I get it serviced at the recommended service time and I haven't had any mechanical issues with the car. The features are great and I couldn't live without the reversing camera now. The handsfree bluetooth is a bonus. Its a smooth ride and I use the boot for my parents wheelchair which fits nicely in the back. Its also a good height for my elderly parents to get into my last sedan was to low. Great car Thanks Mitsubishi.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

unreliable Mitsubishi asx

I have to rebuild the engine after 60000 km because injection fault after that found out have stick rings in engine fault after Mitsubishi motor rebuilt engine took 5 week ago go well and after 2 month this going good so far at that time hope time to last long-term.

Date PurchasedMay 2015
DriveFWD

Great car... just one little but though.

It's a fantastic fuel efficient car with an ultra smooth ride. I only have one negative... Upon entering the car, in let's say eg., underground car park, the gear console doesn't stay lit up for very long before returning to complete darkness. I don't find it an issue when selecting Drive, as that's a direct downward position, but Reverse (for me) isn't so easy to find, therefore I must switch on at least my parking lights so the console lights up. Hope this makes some sense

BadgeASX
Date PurchasedJun 2018

Bluetooth Issue

Hi All, I need some help. I have a ASX 2016 since getting my new I pHone with Optus the Bluetooth is all muffled and I cannot hear the other person properly. I have taken back to Mitusbishi and they say not ht car. Been to Apple got a new phone and still muffled. Went and bought a different sim and still the problem. So frustrating. About to go to a friends place who also has optus carrier and see if that is the same. Any suggestions what htis could be please as I cannot use my phone in the car and I need this to work.

thanks

Karen

BadgeXLS
Engine Size1.8L Turbo-Diesel
Date PurchasedNov 2016

An excellent car which does everything asked of it!

My 2017 ASX is a lovely car which is ok on fuel but, a good and safe place to be on the road. The 2 litre engine has enough power and it works well with the CVT gearbox. I am not a fan of CVT's but, this is definitely one of the better ones out there. Everything in the ASX works well - the climate control air conditioning, the stereo, the digital radio is great and the sound system in general is good for a car of this price. The load area is generous but the rear seat belts get in the way when the rear seats are folded down. The factory Brigstone Dueller tyres are a little noisy and you need to be attentive in a wet corner but they are good for all around use. A set of more road specific tyres would work better. I traded in a Ford Mondeo on the ASX and am happy with my purchase. The ASX has received some harsh reviews but, if you want a good all rounder for family or just to get away, you can't do better for the money. Totally recommended!

TransmissionCVT
Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Great car

I have a manual 2 wheel drive Mitsubishi asx and I find it a great little car! The boot is a little squishy as a family car with our pram, I can’t fit a lot in if I have the pram but it works for me as we have a larger family car for when it’s needed.

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedJul 2016

Reliable, economic, small family suv

My ASX has not skipped a beat since I bought it. It is economic on fuel and has all the standard features expected in newer model cars nowadays at a great price. Only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is due to all of the recalls it's had and the acceleration is at times laggy. Also wish the 60/40 split on the rear seats was on the opposite side. Big portion currently on passengers side, which when you have one child is usually the side they sit on so you don't get them out roadside. This limits how much you can load into it when only the small side can be folded down.

TransmissionCVT
Date PurchasedMar 2015

Extremely happy with my purchase choice! Love my ASX!

I have owned my auto ASX for just over 1 year now, it is an absolute dream to drive, great sound system, very fuel efficient and I love the size and height of the car. Would love if it had better towing capacity but what it’s built for in being a city SUV it’s fantastic! Reverse camera is a great feature however it doesn’t have the best quality camera. It also doesn’t have a built in GPS or Apple car play which is really outdated but I have not missed these features. Definitely a great purchase if you are looking for something with good safety standards, excellent after care and servicing and good fuel efficiency that looks nice and has good speed.

BadgeXLS
Date PurchasedJun 2017

How do I delete some stations from dab

I have a year old ASX. Twice in that time the auto collision function has engaged by itself, completely freaking me out as you can imagine. It’s only for a second but it’s a grinding shuddering experience that jolts the steering as well. Both times I was travelling about 55-60km’s. At a high speed however one wonders! Has any body experienced this?
Not my self but they did have a recall last year on the model hve you taken it in ?I believe they updated the software on the first service, so yes.Scary . Do you find it a very bumpy ride

My partner has a 2016 asx,when driving taking off there is a flat spot on acceleration,just wondering what this could be?tia
If it's a CVT gearbox, there can be a slight hesitation on pulling off. Not serious normally, but if bad, there was a software upgrade available for the gearbox ecu on older cars. 2016 should have the upgrade but check with dealer. If manual gearbox, then maybe tune up required (also on CVT model if gearbox software is not at fault). If it's CVT model, try pulling off in manual mode and see if it's quicker off the line as the gearbox likes to change up gears quickly due to economy programming.

Mitsubishi ASX XC Exceed (2018-2019)Mitsubishi ASX XC Black Edition (2018-2019)Mitsubishi ASX XC ES Manual (2018-2019)Mitsubishi ASX XC ES Automatic (2018-2019)Mitsubishi ASX XC LS Automatic, Petrol (2016-2019)Mitsubishi ASX XC ES ADAS (2018-2019)Mitsubishi ASX XA (2010-2012)Mitsubishi ASX XB (2012-2014)Mitsubishi ASX XC XLS Automatic, Petrol (2016-2018)Mitsubishi ASX XC XLS Automatic, Diesel (2016-2018)Mitsubishi ASX XC LS Manual, Petrol (2016-2018)Mitsubishi ASX XC LS Automatic, Diesel (2016-2018)Mitsubishi ASX XC LS ADAS (2017-2018)
CategorySmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVs
Starting Price $32,990$26,990$23,990$25,490$28,990$27,990
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)ManualContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)AutomaticContinuously Variable (CVT)ManualAutomaticContinuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolDieselPetrolPetrolDieselPetrol
Wheels18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Doors55555555555
Seats55555555555
Fuel Consumption7.6 L/100km7.6 L/100km7.7 L/100km7.6 L/100km7.6 L/100km7.6 L/100km6 L/100km7.6 L/100km7.7 L/100km6 L/100km7.6 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 63 L63 L63 L63 L63 L63 L60 L63 L63 L60 L63 L
Engine4 Cylinder 2.0 L4 Cylinder 2.0 L4 Cylinder 2.0 L4 Cylinder 2.0 L4 Cylinder 2.0 L4 Cylinder 2.2 L4 Cylinder 2.0 L4 Cylinder 2.0 L4 Cylinder 2.2 L4 Cylinder 2.0 L
Max Power110kW @ 6000rpm110kW @ 6000rpm110kW @ 6000rpm110kW @ 6000rpm110kW @ 6000rpm110kW @ 6000rpm110kW @ 3500rpm110kW @ 6000rpm110kW @ 6000rpm110kW @ 3500rpm110kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque197Nm @ 4200rpm197Nm @ 4200rpm197Nm @ 4200rpm197Nm @ 4200rpm197Nm @ 4200rpm197Nm @ 4200rpm360Nm @ 1500-2750rpm197Nm @ 4200rpm197Nm @ 4200rpm360Nm @ 1500-2750rpm197Nm @ 4200rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapan
  • Sunroof
Ground Clearance205 mm205 mm205 mm205 mm205 mm205 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,300 kg1,300 kg1,300 kg1,300 kg1,300 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateJan 2018Jan 2018Jan 2018Jan 2018Jan 2016Sep 2018Jan 2010Jan 2012Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2017
Discontinuation dateDec 2012Dec 2014Dec 2018Dec 2018Dec 2018Dec 2018Dec 2018