See the Best Small / Compact SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Love this car

Love this car, it is lovely to drive, has all the extras you need. The hands free can be a little tinny, but otherwise it is the best, would definitely recommend.

Purchased in March 2019 at Blue Ribbon Honda.

Honda does it again!

My Honda is used privately each day. The 6.9 l/100km economy is excellent, road handling and acceleration commendable and Honda comfort excels. A tall person’s roomy vehicle - I am rapt!

Purchased in March 2019 at Scott’s Honda Artarmon.

Great car

Good looks and good to drive. Easy to operate all the controls.
Economic to run and performs well around town and on the freeway

We added tinting to the windows and visors on the side windows.

Purchased in January 2019 at Dave potter honda for $25,000.00.

Comfort

Easy drive that has all the latest features

very easy to handle, very fuel economic and quick.
love the entertainment centre which automatically syncs to my phone and the last song i was listening to.
Bluetooth calling is a bit hit an miss with the volume and i have no idea why i have to shout to be held. Also the parking sensors go off randomly and they have been replaces a couple of times so unsure what is wrong with them. Also the tyres deflation alarm goes off every week and i do have to fill atleast 3 tyres every week but i had a similar problem with my cr-v
But i do love this car so much and its wonderful full length sunroof and leather seats.

Boot space is really spacey and fold up seats allows me to fit alot of stuff.

Purchased in December 2017 at Dave Potter Honda for $43,000.00.

Year2017
Comfort

Worst audio visual system in the world

I use the car for everyday driving and occasional long trips. The audio visual screen (safety view) is impossible to see when the car is in normal light. It was a selling feature of the car and does not work properly. I note many other reviewers say the same.The previous model worked perfectly, why the change?

Purchased in November 2018 for $35,500.00.

Comfort
Good car but not worth the heartache

Love the looks and practicality

Bought 2019 HR-V RS and had it for 2 months so far. I am in love with this car and I am so glad I have gone ahead with this SUV than any other SUVs in the market. Very comfortable and feels great to drive.

Purchased in March 2019 for $35,000.00.

Comfort

Nice to drive but oh those touch screen controls ...

A pleasant but unexciting car to drive but the controls on the media screen are not great and the GPS unit is second rate - for instance if you key in just a town it insists on you entering a street name and the number of the street. I just now use Google Maps and forget about the onboard GPS unit.

My other gripe is with the radio - after pre-setting the stations I listen to on many occasions I have got into the car only to find the station settings have all been deleted and need to be reset.

However my pet hate is the touch panel for the heating, air con, fan, etc - I mean when driving you have to take your eyes off the road and look at the icons on the panel to make sure you touch the correct one. Why do these controls have to be on a touch panel which you need to look at closely if you want the air-con on or off, etc? The heating and air-con is okay but just okay.

Other than that the car is pleasant to drive, only requires one service annually and the seating is comfortable although if you are much over 6 feet I have found not ideal for a long trip of several hours plus.

Purchased in June 2018 at Honda Dealers.

Comfort

Brilliant car spoilt by a cheap unusable media unit

I purchased this top of the range Honda HRV Vti-lx for $38k after a pleasant test drive. I just wish that I knew how poor the media system performance was prior and I would not have purchased the car. This system is so inferior to anything else on the market it must be an embarrassment for Honda. You can't see the screen in the daylight so the rear camera is useless. The touch screen does not work with any consistency and has excessive lag. When I am talking via the Bluetooth phone connection I am told it sounds like I'm in a windstorm and using a two way radio. The only way I can take or make a call is to pull over and disconnect the phone. I have contacted Honda and they just passed me onto the dealer who tried to fix the problem (with a software upgrade?) but finally admitted there is nothing else they can do. I took it an aftermarket installer and was told it was a cheap system that was discontinued by the manufacturer due to performance issues. The only option is to spend another $1000 and replace the system with an aftermarket unit but I will lose the side camera as there is no adaptor on the market for this. By reading all of the comments listed here I think that Honda should investigate this issue and replace these units as they are not fit for service. I purchase a new vehicle every two years and will never buy a Honda again.

Purchased in January 2019 for $38,000.00.

Comfort

Good vehicle but a couple of deficiencies

We recently bought a new 2018 Honda HRV from Scott’s Honda Artarmon. It has proven to be a very nice car to drive and has an excellent boot. The gearbox is well matched to the engine and the steering and handling are of a high standard.
Unfortunately the media screen in the dash slopes slightly forward and in bright sunlight is very difficult to read. The operation of the Bluetooth music and telephone is very poor and the touch screen is slow to react and not easy to use. The other short coming is the quality of the reversing camera. In comparison to our family’s Toyota and Mazda vehicles, which are both 5yo, the Honda’s camera lacks their clarity and detail. I raised these issues with the service staff at Scott’s Honda and was advised that they had received similar complaints from other HRV owners however there was nothing that could be done to correct these shortcomings.

BadgeSport
Date PurchasedDec 2018

A nice car with a $20 nav radio and entertainment system

The motor car is fine, The GPS and radio system are frightening.
Screen can't be seen when the lights are on it . Very very mixed feelings on this car. The magic seats are a great help. We have two walkers and with shopping there is not to much help we can expect.

Date PurchasedNov 2018
DriveFWD

Okay, but some aspects are very poor.

I updated from a 2006 CR-V which was a fantastic car - hence we stuck with Honda. It is not a bad vehicle but it has a few things I do not like on this model...
*The angle of the A/V touchscreen is terrible. At certain times of the day the driver simply cannot read it and it does not adjust. Very frustrating!
*The arrangement/position of the button at the rear to open the trunk is also terrible. There are gaps and bumps everywhere as you feel for the button to open the trunk - it is a very poor design.
*The air-conditioner is weak. Our old 2006 CR-V is a lot colder and more effective - this HR-V's air-con system is a big step backwards.
*There is lots of road noise at high speed.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
DriveFWD

A nice family car, but there are disappointments

Purchased the 2016 HRV and drove 4000 km so far. I use this car almost every day for short commutes to work and errands. Fuel economy isn't too great (avg. 10.5L/100km) even with ECON mode. The car itself looks nice, especially the front and sides but the rear looks weird... Would prefer a more bold and sharp look there. It was also weird to see plastic wrapping still intact in the small crevices on the doors.

My favourite features would be the effortless steering and audio system. Audio is loud and crystal clear via a Bluetooth connection. However, I am extremely annoyed at the fact that there is zero support for Apple Carplay or Android Auto. Even in-car navigation is missing, requiring a hefty purchase of over $150 for cable and the app! The audio section fails 90% of the time when trying to display song information via Bluetooth. Don't even get me started on how bad the screen is. You can't see it in broad daylight! Honda needs to up their entertainment head unit badly.

The driving is good but not the best. Steering is very nice but there's a bit too much road noise for my liking. All in all, this car was not the perfect purchase, but it'll do for a casual car user.

Date PurchasedSep 2016
DriveRWD

Audio/Nav

I have a 2018 HRV purchased in November and i find the Audio /Nav touch screen to be extremely unsatisfactory as in sunlight nothing can be viewed- the touch screen demands forceful touch and is very slow to react.
Very very poor -detracts from this vehicle certainly could not recommend this car on this aspect- becomes dangerous when you have to take your eyes from driving to view this ineffective screen totally disappointing.

Purchased in November 2018.

Year2018

Nice car to drive but disappointing audio/nav device

I collected my brand new Honda HRV a week before Xmas 2018, so it's still very new. I drive my car on a daily basis commuting to work and for general 'running around' and I've been really happy with the way it drives. So far the air conditioner has been good and I've found the petrol consumption for city driving, very economical.
What has been really disappointing about this car is the audio/navigation system and this is why I believe the car only deserves 3 stars, as I consider the audio/nav system an important feature.
1) The angle of the screen in daylight means you can't see anything on the screen as the glare is so bad. This is particularly problematic when using the reversing camera (a hazard because you can't use it when reversing, unless you're in the shade or at night) and the navigational system (you can read the screen to see where you're going).
2) People have been complaining that they are having difficulty hearing me when using bluetooth in the car (I did not have this problem in my old car, using the same phone).
3) The touch screen does not readily let me scroll up and down on the screen with my finger. In fact most of the time it won't scroll at all. This has made it particularly difficult when trying to use the navigation and also the bluetooth phone book looking for numbers.
4) The navigation system keeps changing the route even while driving along. This has caused confusion when trying to navigate in unfamiliar areas.
If I'd realised how poor this feature was, I would never have purchased the car.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Air con not working after 2 years

Have had this car for just 2 years and barely done 10 000 k`s. The air con is no longer working properly. Just drove for 30 minutes and only managed a cool breeze with fan on high. This is most annoying considering I traded my last Honda CRV after 7 years because the air was also not working, and going to cost over $2000 to fix. I now have a weeks wait for a service, no replacement car available, and the inconvenience of taking the car in for a service for a whole day to assess the problem. Hope this is fixed under warranty. Grrrrr.
Have been loyal to Honda over the years but not impressed with this issue.
Otherwise the car is ok.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

H-R V is really short for How- Really- Versatile

We wanted a small to medium sized multi purpose vehicle able to accommodate two to five persons,but with the largest volume of cargo space possible & still be suitable for city stop & start driving as well as long trips & the occasional dirt road adventure.The price had to be under $35K with five star safety ratings,reasonable servicing costs, good fuel consumption,& good to drive in comfort in any weather with mininum motor & road noise.Also had to be a long standing known & trusted brand with reputable agents to deal with servicing & any problems arising.
We find this vehicle very easy to manouvre & park in town & performs equally well touring around National Parks,handling twisting mountain ranges with direct steering & a great automatic gear changing range for hills.

We tested seven brands & the HR-V came up tops each time even though others more recommended had more power &more gadgets than we needed etc etc,they were motor & road noisy,less load volume, poor driving positions ,seating,comfort & all looked like smiling frogs in design configuration!! Also all had higher servicing
costs &,higher fuel consumption. We had previously owned various Subaru models & although reliable were extremely expensive to service due to timed costing & replacement parts.We found the HRV had a wider space
between the rear wheel arches,a longer length from dash to boot lid & higher space from boot floor to roof than
the Forester {& other brands}& so had at least 25% more cargo space.
The HR-V has 33 seating variations & best I found is rear bench seat folds up to backrest allowing floor to roof space for trees & shrubs,-to fit in bar fridges,& other tall items & with both back rests folded down we have 1.8 meters from rear door to dash for timber lengths,sheeting, surfboards, ladders etc etc. We can fit 16 archive boxes behind the back seat which is great for our special needs.This cross between a wagon & SUV has too many features to mention as proved in the handbook.
I can only find four faults which I have overcome at little expense.First is the small emergency spare wheel which you cant even give away & it costs $400 for a full sized similar spoked wheel & tyre.You toss the foam tool fitting adapter away & the full deal fits into the well easily under the floor cover & with a long bolt & a butterfly nut to fix down tight so no vibration. Put the tools into a bag under the back seat with a torch,towel & water bottle ..
Also I find the seat belt lock arm too short by ten centimetres & have to twist upper body to insert & remove.
Third,the headlights have to be adjusted as too short & low for night driving especially away from street lights &
service department cant correct as to Honda standard.Easy to fix yourself by adjusting a few screws.
Last of all is the poor lighting for the cabin as too dim, & needs an adjusting system to brighten intensity.
I put in stronger bulb in centre & boot area & problem solved for a few dollars.
I find the dealer agency of a very high standard. I sold my previous vehicle in two days & asked what they could do to help out until my order was delivered. I was offered a brand new demonstrator vehicle free for two weeks at
fuel cost only !! They also went out flat explaining the three models available & we found the VT iS most suited to our needs,with rear camera,extra safety features, & other requirements without the luxury of the top model.
We also received a good deal on the new model by buying on the last day of the month & also received many
optional extras.
We use this vehicle every day. Easy to wash & clean. Used for personal use only to cover around 15,000 kms annually on both sealed & unsealed roads for local use & touring.Great for small furniture & garden buying.
This model also has no air bag problems as fitted with different bags.Also manufactured in modern factory with latest technology & standards.Exceptional value for money & ideal for most situations of driving for a variety
of needs .Ideal for families or other. Recco a test drive!!

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Great car. Poor tech

The car is great. Nice high ride position. Good fuel economy and performance. It has the best load capacity and flexiblity of all cars in its class.
The tech offering in the car is very poor. I had a ten year old car with better phone connectiviity and GPS. The unit only allows connection of one phone and often needs to be re-paired using Bluetooth. The GPS is slow to obtain a signal and often loses signal. Route planning does not select the quickest route and almost always selects for freeway and toll road travel. The red light camera warning never activates. Speed warning is good. The GPS can be so slow and inaccurate that you miss turns. There is only analogue radio (no DAB). The controls are far from intuative and the touch screen does not always react to touch. Honda need to lift its game on this unit and fit one that works all the time.

Purchased in June 2018.

Comfort

Car is fine, hand's free phone abysmal and something dodgy about Honda culture

I have a 2017 HR-V , purchased Jan 18, after previously owning a Mazda CX5 diesel. The car is fine, economy as stated on the label, spacious and reliable. My two complaints are first, the hand's free phone is dreadful. There seems to be a single microphone which is on the navigation system, so if I'm driving fast (road noise) or have the aircon on - no-one can hear me. I drive 500-1000km per week, so it is really important for me to have a decent hand's free phone. Honda tried to fix it once, but it made no difference.

My second big concern is about the culture of Honda in Australia (compared say to Mazda, and also a previous Toyota). After every contact I have had with Honda (at two different outlets in two states), the representatives have told me that I will be contacted by a customer survey team, and that "anything less than 5 star feedback" will be considered a fail. The most recent chap (after a service) said " and I have your address". Seriously?? What kind of bullying culture is that... and how reliable are their results. Frankly, their service is dreadful - perhaps that's why... It will be Mazda for me again next, based on service and customer respect alone.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Best car yet!

My HR-V is perfect - enough room to fit 3 men in the back and still breathe. Drives like a dream and great fuel economy! So glad I chose the HR-V, fits everything I need for work and the fur kids too! No probl ma and the Honda team all know what they are doing and give the advice needed at the drop of a hat!

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Good car but abysmal navigation system

Bought a HR-V 2017 build, and was pleasantly surprised on how spacious it is. It can definitely be used for a family car. Boot space is big enough for a large pram. It is pleasant to drive, but the steering wheel is a bit stiff (coming from Nissan).

The car however, is quite low and you would have to duck a fair bit to get inside. One thing that I dislike is the position of the navigation system: it is barely legible under the sunlight, and the in-built navigation system is definitely feels like an afterthought. Unfortunately there wasn't any Apple Carplay/Android Auto with my build year, otherwise I'd be getting that instead.

Another downside is that even with the top badge, VTi-L, you still don't get all safety features like lane change detection. That's another $2000 to add. In my opinion, it's much better to get the VTi-S or even the VTi model, and add additional features.

The car is quite new, so I can't really comment on reliability, however Honda provides 7-year warranty for HR-V, so that's always nice. On average I refuel every 500-600km.

BadgeVTi-L
Date PurchasedOct 2017

Can I replace the navigation system with apple CarPlay, as I find this system absolutely useless. If so, what cost would I be looking at
Kerry, if you find an answer to your question please advise me as the manufacturers of the system say there is no fault with the BL--DY useless system.

2015 HRV is leaking water into spare tire well and into rear passenger floor behind driver. Anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks!
Sorry no help from me. Has the car been in an accident and perhaps poorly repairedNope, but the hatch release has always been a bit off and on close inspection one side of hatch looks flush and the other raised. Thanks!

Has anyone had their GPS say 'turn left in 3000m instead of 3km'? I have not been able to locate in the settings how to adjust this
Just like the rest of the audio visual system it is absolute C--P This is its on going workings, could not operate a two bed brothel with three customers.

Honda HR-V 2015 Release RS (2018-2019)Honda HR-V 2015 Release VTi (2014-2019)Honda HR-V 2015 Release VTi-LX (2018-2019)Honda HR-V 2015 Release VTi-S (2014-2019)Honda HR-V 2015 Release +LUXE (2019)Honda HR-V 1998 Release (1998-2001)Honda HR-V 2015 Release Limited Edition (2015-2017)Honda HR-V 2015 Release VTi-L (2014-2018)
CategorySmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVs
Starting Price $31,990$24,990$34,590$27,990$33,522$33,340
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Wheels18" Alloy16" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Doors555555
Seats555555
Fuel Consumption6.7 L/100km6.6 L/100km6.9 L/100km6.9 L/100km6.9 L/100km6.9 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 50 L50 L50 L50 L50 L50 L
Engine4 Cylinder 1.8L4 Cylinder 1.8L4 Cylinder 1.8L4 Cylinder 1.8L4 Cylinder 1.8L4 Cylinder 1.8L
Max Power105kW @ 6500rpm105kW @ 6500rpm105kW @ 6500rpm105kW @ 6500rpm105kW @ 6500rpm105kW @ 6500rpm
Max Torque172Nm @ 4300rpm172Nm @ 4300rpm172Nm @ 4300rpm172Nm @ 4300rpm172Nm @ 4300rpm172Nm @ 4300rpm
Country of ManufactureThailandThailandThailandThailandThailandThailand
  • Automatic Wipers
  • Dual Zone Air Conditioning
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)800 kg800 kg800 kg800 kg800 kg800 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)500 kg500 kg500 kg500 kg500 kg500 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateJan 2018Jan 2014Jan 2018Jan 2014Jan 2019Jan 1998Jan 2015Jan 2014