Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport (2015-2019)

Great vehicle, but adaptive cruise control is buggy

About two years ago I leased the Pajero Sport for my company vehicle as it had to be capable offload, a decent commuter vehicle and have a bit of luxury inside. The key features to make this work were preferably a 7 seater SUV but 5 was OK, leather interior, push button start, adaptive cruise control (spoiled by driving an Outback for 2 years) and diesel was preferred. I was seriously getting another Outback, but as a family we thought having two identical vehicles was not a great idea, so I did my studying like everyone else and found the Pajero Sport tick all the boxes.

Build quality is good, but the leather and plastics are not as nice as my wife's 2015 Outback. The cabin is surprisingly quiet at speed.

The Apple play is a great and a must have in any vehicle I own going forward. It has acted up at times, but I suspect it is the phone or more likely the wired connection and not the head unit as a different USB solved the problem for awhile.

The back two seats take some getting used to setting up, but they are very good when we have out of town company. I am 189cm, so getting into the vehicle is a bit of a ballet at times, but once inside the headroom is great. Plenty of room in the second row even with the driver's seat back to where I need it.

It is no speed demon, especially compared to a 2.5L Outback (which is saying something). I find the turbo can lag unexpectedly, usually when you are trying to get accelerate at the most important times. It is almost as if it the engine is flooded, but only for a fraction of a second. In general traffic and on the highway though it is more than competent and really no complaints with the exception of excessive turbo lag from a standing start.

The only big issue issue I have with the vehicle, and its a big one, is the adaptive cruise which will glitch a couple of times a week for no known reason. For example, I will have the cruise set to 80kph and the adaptive cruise will have a lock on the vehicle in front and an icon of a vehicle will show on the dash. The traffic then slows to 40kph which the adaptive cruise handles well and all is fine. Then just when you are not expecting it, a beep can be heard, the adaptive cruise icon on the dash disappears and the adaptive part of the cruise disengages and the vehicle will suddenly try to accelerate into the vehicle it is following in front at the previously set 80kph. This is a major issue and a serious safety issue. I've had it into my local dealer twice and they cannot find any issues or replicate the problem. I have taken to video taping it and showing them the issue, but again they can find no problem. If I had to guess, it is a software problem as it seems to happen only during certain drives and not others and when it starts happening, it tends to do it a lot. So perhaps something is not booting up properly when the vehicle is started. I have asked others I know who own a Pajero Sport and they do not seem to have this issue. But on the basis that my vehicle is just not safe when using a key feature, I cannot recommend this vehicle as a safe choice. For me, I will continue to try to get the dealer or Mitsubishi sort out the issue and continue to drive with my foot over the break when using cruise control.

Purchased in August 2017.

Comfort

Extensive online research confirms decision to buy!

Hi all. Bought my MY2019 in March after considerable research and I'm very pleased with my decision. Closely considered Isuzu MUX but the transmission (with "AWD" option) and general value for money decided me on the PS. Also the 7 year warranty plus 2 yrs free servicing & $1000 accessories made the decision a no-brainer! I have only 3 issues with it; very little storage space, the cockpit room is a little cramped and it would be great to have the ability to "save" my seating position so I can easily retrieve it after my wife has driven it. Otherwise its a great car and i thoroughly recommend it!
Rob from Maitland SA

Purchased in March 2019 for $50,000.00.

Brilliant all rounder

I have purchased a pajero sport glx brand new about 3 months ago and its a brilliant all rounder. Comfortable on the highway and excellent off road. I realise havent had it long but time will tell for reliability etc. i also fitted a provent 200 catch can on day 1 so no oily crap in the induction.

Transmission clunking .

I bought my Mitsubishi Sport 6 months ago and from day 1 have had transmission problems.
The problem is a clunking transmission when the accelerator is used on and off in bad traffic.
Its a lot worse at around the 100k mark and at times the engine seems to miss as its happening.
Ive had it back to the dealer three times to be told its normal. Ive driven cars for 45years and never experienced anything like this in any other car including a Pajero from the 90s.The service manager told me last week that some grease will fix it ,really!! Apart from this the car is great , its so disappointing when you buy something brand new and its not as it should be. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do as I know there is something wrong here?

Purchased in November 2018.

Ticks all the boxes

Purchased our MY17 Exceed with 50000kms in February this year after looking at and test driving the Prado, Everest, Fortuner and Land Rover Discovery 4 line-up. The PS cannot be beaten for value/features/capability/reliability/warranty. Being a family of 4 with 2 infants a 7 seater was top of the list. In the PS we can fit 2 baby seats on the 2nd row 60 split leaving us with a full size 40 split seat for an adult and further access to the rear 2 seats. Even though the PS is a touch narrower than the Audi A4 we sold the 2nd row seats are shaped better for baby seats in the PS, we could not fit 2 baby seats on the 60 split in the Audi. Fuel consumption is same or slightly better in the PS being a diesel than the 1.8T petrol Audi that also weighed 500+kgs less! Engine performance is decent but I have since had a re-map done giving a 3 second 0-100 improvement from stock, that is quick for a 2.1T 4x4. We go off-roading and camping twice a month and while being a bit smaller than the Prado and Everest it is more than adequate for our size family, more importantly it is a very capable 4x4 and I've recovered my friend in his Prado and brother-in-law in his JK Jeep. If I had to fault anything it would be the Mitsubishi dealership I visited who wanted to charge me for something that is a warranty job making this and that excuse. I made enough noise and they did it at no cost but this is exactly why I try to stay away from dealerships whenever possible. What I have had done: EFS 2" lift, M/T tyres, exhaust, snorkel, Rhino roof tray, fridge, draw, air compressor, LED light bar, Ironman bull bar, ECU re-map, recovery points, window tint, fender flares and catch can.

Well done Mitsubishi on a great family 4x4 that ticks all of our boxes!

Purchased in February 2019 at easyauto123 for $34,500.00.

BoughtUsed

Great buy

After having issues with a Nissan xtrail, I decided to move it on and upgrade to a pajero. I am so impressed, with the car feactures, including birds eye view cameras. It travels very sturdy and smooth, and for a Triton motor it runs extremely quiet. The 8 speed auto transmission is a great upgrade and happy I no longer have a cvt transmission. With all diesel cars like these there will always be a little pedal lag, so I purchased a throttle controller through Hikeit, and it has done wonders. I recommend this car, easy to drive, very very low road noise, and for the price, and safety for my family, it's a must to consider

BoughtUsed
Comfort

Amazing car..great drive and feature rich

I upgraded from my challenger PB 2012 model. The Challenger is a good vehicle, had no complaints...Was attracted to the Pajero Sport as it is different, doesnt look or feel truck like even though based on Triton...wanted the 7 seat option, leather power seats, spoiler on the rear, dual zone climate control so Gls is the sweet spot...havent been offroad but driving in the city and across town with some rural driving i have been very impressed at how easy and comfortable it is to drive and despite one or two comments read about engine noise, it almost sounds like you are driving a petrol model...for a diesel it is fairly quiet and smooth...a little bit of lag, common on all diesels, but the 8 speed auto is very responsive and handles the engine extremely well as it runs up and down to select the right gear for the demand. The engine is willing and not overly noisy. I have returning fuel consumption of between 7L - 8.3 L 100/klm and overall combined average is 8.2 L / 100klm. The seats are very comfortable, adaptive cruise control and the media entertainment and phone system is very good, rides well, maybe a bit soft but generally a very smooth quiet drive. Handles well for a big vehicle..only negatives is the rear camera is offset so image takes some getting used to, the dab radio sometimes "tunes out" and says "no data" but seems to reset itself after a while...the led headlights are great on low beam but not so great on high beam..a light bar will fix that. As a big family station wagon that can go offroad, this vehicle in my view is excellent and well worth considering.. Have read lots of comments about the rear end lights which seem to be polarising, but they are a great safety feature and not a deal breaker, great looking modern designed vehicle. Mitsubishi have made a great vehicle, low service and maint costs as well..Love driving my car, its a keeper for sure!

Excellent value for money

This is the first time we have purchased a new Mitsubishi and we are pleasantly surprised and happy with the value for money. We find this a perfect family car with all the necessary bells and whistles without spending a fortune.

Purchased in March 2019 at Windsor auto group for $53,990.00.

Excellent value

Bought this car in 2018 to tow our new, heavier off road van. Wanted comfort, reliability, economy & features. Very happy with everything. Only three things not perfect - narrower interior & fewer storage spots than my Hyundai Santa Fe & chews up quite a bit more fuel when towing, but still fairly economical for normal driving. .

Purchased in March 2018 at Mitsubishi Dealers for $40,000.00.

Loved Driving It

Bought my PS Exceed in July 2018. It was a BIG change for me, having driven a little Honda Jazz for so long. Took a while to get used to it, but I did. Now I love driving it. A few minor things that I don't like, but that is just things that I find annoying. No rear/hatch door electric or remote closure is one that needs addressing for this vehicle, considering its height and price point. I also find the location of the drivers cup holder awkward. Other than this, it is great!!! No issues at all. We haven't taken it "off road" as yet, but have towed a 24' caravan which it managed with ease. Lovely to drive long distance and the space in the back with the 3rd row of seats folded is AMAZING. Would not hesitate to recommend it.

Purchased in July 2018 at Brighton Mitsubishi.

Comfort

Not the best car for child seats

What I like: the interior is pretty modern and decent for its price range, I love it. Performance is ok, I have no problem with it as I haven't taken it off-road.

What I don't like, to the point where I want to trade it in for another car is the 2nd row seat. The child seat anchors are at the roof, just right above the 3rd row. I thought I could live with it. Not until we actually had to use the 3rd row. It would be very unfortunate for the ones in the 3rd row as it obstructive/distracting. Imagine going for an hour with the car seat straps right in front of your face.

To make things worse, the middle seat belt of the 2nd row is also coming from the roof. Again it obstructs vision, it is a little distracting and in my opinion, very annoying and unpleasant to the eyes.

Now I am back on the market to find better alternatives. I love this car but this is a 7-seater. I bought this because I have a need to carry 7 people at times. Having straps running across the roof is just a result of poor design in this day and age.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

A brilliant all-round car.

Use our 2016 model PS for commuting, long distance, gentle off-road work and now towing a hybrid caravan.
The car has been nothing short of excellent in just about every facet of its designed purpose, and can mix it with the best. With the gearbox choices and differential locks, it is unstoppable in off-road situations. Towing a 2.4 tonne van is fine around town in automatic mode, but paddle shifting at highway speeds allows the engine to manually shifted allowing better use of ratios to provide a better spinning engine and revs to avoid high levels of auto shifting. Throttle lag was eliminated following the installation of I-Drive unit, which made a significant throttle improvement to an already fine car.
Worse point is the location of the USB ports inside the central armrest, and the dreadful edges on the centre console which can dig into the side of the Driver's left leg. These minor issues have been addressed on the current model.
Can thoroughly recommend a test drive which will certainly surprise. Love this car!

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Great car mechanically but paint issues

We bought a 2016 model (exceed) in white. So far no major mechanical issues apart from a squeaky belt - but have never taken this offroad. Good economy but lacks a little in power, but its great for a town car and the parking cameras and slightly narrower build makes it great for tight spots.
After 12 months we have noticed the paint is becoming chalky in a very bad way. So far we have taken it back to the local dealer who dismissed it.
We will take it back again and ask for the case to be taken higher. It cant be right for a car bought brand new and never taken offroad.
Has anyone else with a white exceed 2016 had paint issues? Am thinking this may be a batch issue?
5 stars for ecomony and performance, but lost a few for the paint quality. Am seriously hoping Mitsubishi has some answers for me on this one.

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Drive4WD

Brilliant 4WD

Purchased as novated lease car and very happy. Travelled 30,000 kms over 12 months and not had any mechanical issues. I recently installed an IDrive which has reduced the effect of turbo lag common to these types of vehicles; made it a different car to drive. It’s reasonably economical for the size of the vehicle giving around 550kms to a tank city and close to 900 kms country driving. Its much better value than the Ford Ranger and Toyota equivalent and tracking the resale through Carsales it’s holding up in the secondhand hand market. If you are not a brand snob and have a brain in your head you will choose then Pajero Sport it’s roomy inside comfortable to drive and has great safety features for the $. I highly recommend.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Drive4WD

Excellent roomy comfortable family car

The Pajero sport is brilliant for us. It’s a great family car, used for running around town and travelling. We don’t go off road but can honestly say, it is beautiful to drive on the road. The pick up is lacking compared to the previous unleaded vehicles I’ve had, but it doesn’t sound like a truck like other diesels I’ve test driven. The fuel economy is fantastic at approx 8.9L/100km for a mix of town and highway driving. We bought this car in August 2018, and only had one service so far, but Mitsubishi have been fantastic to deal with.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Disappointed

Bought brand new Pajero sport exceed model only 10 months ago. Only used 11000 kms. Not a single off road drive yet.1 week ago broken down and was needed to be towed away with immobiliser service error message. Can not start . Difficult to tow as can not release electric park brake. No technical help from mitshubishi in towing car. They have been fixing it for last 1 week . No alternate car provided. Lost trust in mitshubishi brand. disappointed and regretting for spending $55000 . Please think few times before you spend money on this car, brand and its dealers.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Excellent sport car for long distance drive: Mitsubishi Pajero Sport

I bought a new diesel Mitsubishi Pajero Sport USV and used it for the last 12 months. I have driven almost 20000km and it is fantastic. Once I went to Melbourne from my home in Townsville. I had only 5 stops for refueling and had no stress in driving at all. It is very smooth and steady on the road as well as off road. I had only one service so far and the motor is very smooth. Fuel consumption is excellent. It runs 100km/he with 1600 rpm which is normally 2000rpm in most of the 4 cylinder diesel vehicles. More economical than my other petrol Mitsubishi out-lander.

BadgeMitsubishi Pajero
Date PurchasedSep 2017

Had it only 4000klms and traded in found gearbox problem and did not perform as supposed to, motor t

Was not impressed at all with highway performance and really only bought it to please the wife. Had problems with transmission took it back to dealers told them the problem but as usual don’t listen. Found stability on highway driving not able to relax. Transmission jolting at100 to 110 Kim’s per hour.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Great compact rugged SUV

Love it - it tows the caravan so well.
Fully optioned with most extras. It has up to date technology available without a high price tag. Rides a little rough but to be expected in a 4wd vehicle of this nature.
Electronic parking sensors a bit sensitive (go off when sitting in traffic). Android car play doesnt work with our phones so no GPS.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Just love the Pajero Sport

Purchased a Pajero Sport in Oct 2016 and we are so pleased with this car. I love the turbo diesel it is so fuel efficient for a car this size, it averages between 8-9 l per 100 around town which for me is excellent for a car this size. It's such a delight to drive I love the eight speed auto it its so well paired with the diesel. Excellent value for money.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Is any one else having issues with the adaptive cruise control? Quite frequently in adaptive cruise when the adaptive part is working keeping you a safe distance from the slower moving vehicle in front, there will be a beep and the adaptive cruise will lose its tracking lock and accelerate. I have captured this on video once when it was happening very frequently. I have taken it back to the dealer twice now, once leaving it with them for a week and they couldn't find any issues. As the adaptive cruise was a major reason why I chose this vehicle, I will be looking to trade soon. My wife's two year older Subaru Outback has adaptive cruise and has been flawless.

Driving down the road and put my foot on accelerator and there was no response initially, about three seconds later the engine almost conked out before very slowly and with much spluttering engine reved up to 2500rpm and car accelerated away. It drove normally then for about 5 minutes when it did it again. No lights at all on dash. Ended up getting car towed home. When I drove it to MM it did the same thing again but now MM say they can’t fault the car and cannot find any fault codes when they download the data from ECU. I have checked the fuel and air filters, all good. No fuel contamination. Has anyone had trouble with the transmission control unit in there car? Wondering if the ecu and tcu are not talking properly? Anyone got the same or similar issues? Any help greatly appreciated.

I have a 2017 Pajero Sport GLS. When I stop at the lights after 10secinds or so there is a Jolt sensation. I took it to Mitsubishi did a road test with a tech and he felt the jolt and said he would look into it. When I returned to pick up the Pajero Sport they claimed they could not find a problem. Months later I still have the issue and will be taking it back to Mitsubishi. I recently read the small print on my last mitsubishi inspection report and they nothed down they could not find a fault. However, they said there was modification being a diff breather....! I bought thr car new for my wife and have never modified the car and dont even know what a diff breather is! Can anyone help me with identifying the jolt and provide advice on how to have the "modification of a Diff breather removed from my cars record with Mitsubishi. I assume Mitsubishi knows what the problem is and made up a story that there is " Diff Breather thingy" attached to the car as to void any warranty claim.....
Hi, I have the same problem went to Mitsubishi and told me if engine falls for one reason or another the transmission control unit will enter a fail safe mode to prevent the engine from stalling. This fail safe is more evident when engine is in D or R from stationary when the vehicle does not creep or a shock is experienced on take off. They scanned it and said nothing is wrong with it but we can’t work it out cause something has to be wrong for it to do it.I am not sure of this in your case but some new cars automatically apply a form of brake when parked at lights so you cant creep into car infront or roll back. It feels weird when disengaging like removing the handbrake when you start to accellerate.It is not a form of brake.. An independant mechanic test drove my car and believes It is an issue with the gearbox or diff. I have driven many pajero sports at my workplace and none of them have this issue. I have had the car with Mitsubishi for 3 week and they came up with the an excuse as to not fix the problem.. Complaint has been lodged with fair trading as head office will not call me back..

Pajero Sport QE Exceed (7 Seats)Pajero Sport QE GLX (5 Seats)Pajero Sport QE GLS 5 SeatsPajero Sport QE GLS 7 SeatsPajero Sport QE Black Edition (7 Seats)
Starting Price $56,990$44,990$50,490$51,990$53,490
TransmissionAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomatic
Drive TypeFour Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypeDieselDieselDieselDieselDiesel
Wheels18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars
Doors55555
Seats75577
Fuel Consumption8L/100km8L/100km8L/100km8L/100km8L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 68 L68 L68 L68 L68 L
Engine4 Cylinder, 2.4 L4 Cylinder, 2.4 L4 Cylinder, 2.4 L4 Cylinder, 2.4 L4 Cylinder, 2.4 L
Max Power133kW@3500rpm133kW@3500rpm133kW@3500rpm133kW@3500rpm133kW@3500rpm
Max Torque430Nm@2500rpm430Nm@2500rpm430Nm@2500rpm430Nm@2500rpm430Nm@2500rpm
Country of ManufactureThailandThailandThailandThailandThailand
Safety Features ABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Reversing Camera and Traction ControlABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Reversing Camera and Traction ControlABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Reversing Camera and Traction ControlABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Reversing Camera and Traction ControlABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Reversing Camera and Traction Control
Extra Features Android Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Headlight Wipers, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice Control
Ground Clearance218 mm218 mm218 mm218 mm218 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)3,100 kg3,100 kg3,100 kg3,100 kg3,100 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateJan 2015Jan 2015Jan 2015Jan 2016Dec 2018