Mitsubishi Pajero Sport QE Exceed (7 Seats)

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport QE Exceed (7 Seats) (2015-2019)

Great vehicle, but adaptive cruise control is buggy

About two years ago I leased the Pajero Sport for my company vehicle as it had to be capable offload, a decent commuter vehicle and have a bit of luxury inside. The key features to make this work were preferably a 7 seater SUV but 5 was OK, leather interior, push button start, adaptive cruise control (spoiled by driving an Outback for 2 years) and diesel was preferred. I was seriously getting another Outback, but as a family we thought having two identical vehicles was not a great idea, so I did my studying like everyone else and found the Pajero Sport tick all the boxes.

Build quality is good, but the leather and plastics are not as nice as my wife's 2015 Outback. The cabin is surprisingly quiet at speed.

The Apple play is a great and a must have in any vehicle I own going forward. It has acted up at times, but I suspect it is the phone or more likely the wired connection and not the head unit as a different USB solved the problem for awhile.

The back two seats take some getting used to setting up, but they are very good when we have out of town company. I am 189cm, so getting into the vehicle is a bit of a ballet at times, but once inside the headroom is great. Plenty of room in the second row even with the driver's seat back to where I need it.

It is no speed demon, especially compared to a 2.5L Outback (which is saying something). I find the turbo can lag unexpectedly, usually when you are trying to get accelerate at the most important times. It is almost as if it the engine is flooded, but only for a fraction of a second. In general traffic and on the highway though it is more than competent and really no complaints with the exception of excessive turbo lag from a standing start.

The only big issue issue I have with the vehicle, and its a big one, is the adaptive cruise which will glitch a couple of times a week for no known reason. For example, I will have the cruise set to 80kph and the adaptive cruise will have a lock on the vehicle in front and an icon of a vehicle will show on the dash. The traffic then slows to 40kph which the adaptive cruise handles well and all is fine. Then just when you are not expecting it, a beep can be heard, the adaptive cruise icon on the dash disappears and the adaptive part of the cruise disengages and the vehicle will suddenly try to accelerate into the vehicle it is following in front at the previously set 80kph. This is a major issue and a serious safety issue. I've had it into my local dealer twice and they cannot find any issues or replicate the problem. I have taken to video taping it and showing them the issue, but again they can find no problem. If I had to guess, it is a software problem as it seems to happen only during certain drives and not others and when it starts happening, it tends to do it a lot. So perhaps something is not booting up properly when the vehicle is started. I have asked others I know who own a Pajero Sport and they do not seem to have this issue. But on the basis that my vehicle is just not safe when using a key feature, I cannot recommend this vehicle as a safe choice. For me, I will continue to try to get the dealer or Mitsubishi sort out the issue and continue to drive with my foot over the break when using cruise control.

Purchased in August 2017.

Ticks all the boxes

Purchased our MY17 Exceed with 50000kms in February this year after looking at and test driving the Prado, Everest, Fortuner and Land Rover Discovery 4 line-up. The PS cannot be beaten for value/features/capability/reliability/warranty. Being a family of 4 with 2 infants a 7 seater was top of the list. In the PS we can fit 2 baby seats on the 2nd row 60 split leaving us with a full size 40 split seat for an adult and further access to the rear 2 seats. Even though the PS is a touch narrower than the Audi A4 we sold the 2nd row seats are shaped better for baby seats in the PS, we could not fit 2 baby seats on the 60 split in the Audi. Fuel consumption is same or slightly better in the PS being a diesel than the 1.8T petrol Audi that also weighed 500+kgs less! Engine performance is decent but I have since had a re-map done giving a 3 second 0-100 improvement from stock, that is quick for a 2.1T 4x4. We go off-roading and camping twice a month and while being a bit smaller than the Prado and Everest it is more than adequate for our size family, more importantly it is a very capable 4x4 and I've recovered my friend in his Prado and brother-in-law in his JK Jeep. If I had to fault anything it would be the Mitsubishi dealership I visited who wanted to charge me for something that is a warranty job making this and that excuse. I made enough noise and they did it at no cost but this is exactly why I try to stay away from dealerships whenever possible. What I have had done: EFS 2" lift, M/T tyres, exhaust, snorkel, Rhino roof tray, fridge, draw, air compressor, LED light bar, Ironman bull bar, ECU re-map, recovery points, window tint, fender flares and catch can.

Well done Mitsubishi on a great family 4x4 that ticks all of our boxes!

Purchased in February 2019 at easyauto123 for $34,500.00.

BoughtUsed

Great buy

After having issues with a Nissan xtrail, I decided to move it on and upgrade to a pajero. I am so impressed, with the car feactures, including birds eye view cameras. It travels very sturdy and smooth, and for a Triton motor it runs extremely quiet. The 8 speed auto transmission is a great upgrade and happy I no longer have a cvt transmission. With all diesel cars like these there will always be a little pedal lag, so I purchased a throttle controller through Hikeit, and it has done wonders. I recommend this car, easy to drive, very very low road noise, and for the price, and safety for my family, it's a must to consider

Purchased in March 2019.

BoughtUsed
Year2,018

Loved Driving It

Bought my PS Exceed in July 2018. It was a BIG change for me, having driven a little Honda Jazz for so long. Took a while to get used to it, but I did. Now I love driving it. A few minor things that I don't like, but that is just things that I find annoying. No rear/hatch door electric or remote closure is one that needs addressing for this vehicle, considering its height and price point. I also find the location of the drivers cup holder awkward. Other than this, it is great!!! No issues at all. We haven't taken it "off road" as yet, but have towed a 24' caravan which it managed with ease. Lovely to drive long distance and the space in the back with the 3rd row of seats folded is AMAZING. Would not hesitate to recommend it.

Purchased in July 2018 at Brighton Mitsubishi.

Comfort

Great car mechanically but paint issues

We bought a 2016 model (exceed) in white. So far no major mechanical issues apart from a squeaky belt - but have never taken this offroad. Good economy but lacks a little in power, but its great for a town car and the parking cameras and slightly narrower build makes it great for tight spots.
After 12 months we have noticed the paint is becoming chalky in a very bad way. So far we have taken it back to the local dealer who dismissed it.
We will take it back again and ask for the case to be taken higher. It cant be right for a car bought brand new and never taken offroad.
Has anyone else with a white exceed 2016 had paint issues? Am thinking this may be a batch issue?
5 stars for ecomony and performance, but lost a few for the paint quality. Am seriously hoping Mitsubishi has some answers for me on this one.

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Drive4WD

Disappointed

Bought brand new Pajero sport exceed model only 10 months ago. Only used 11000 kms. Not a single off road drive yet.1 week ago broken down and was needed to be towed away with immobiliser service error message. Can not start . Difficult to tow as can not release electric park brake. No technical help from mitshubishi in towing car. They have been fixing it for last 1 week . No alternate car provided. Lost trust in mitshubishi brand. disappointed and regretting for spending $55000 . Please think few times before you spend money on this car, brand and its dealers.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Great compact rugged SUV

Love it - it tows the caravan so well.
Fully optioned with most extras. It has up to date technology available without a high price tag. Rides a little rough but to be expected in a 4wd vehicle of this nature.
Electronic parking sensors a bit sensitive (go off when sitting in traffic). Android car play doesnt work with our phones so no GPS.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Love this car

I absolutely love my pajero sport, it goes well on and off road, is very quiet, has great mileage and has good features and technology. The interior is comfortable and spacious, the apple car play is well integrated and it is nice to have the dual air con system. My only complaint is the electric handbrake is a strange choice for a serious 4WD and has its drawbacks but still happy with my purchase.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Great car, great value

We have driven the car so far for 17,000km. Overall it has been a great car. Tyre wear so far is reasonable and I would expect to see about 40-50k out of the Bridgestones.
The leather seats are reasonably comfortable on a long drive. The middle row seat is a little narrow and it's hard to get two baby seats and an adult in all at once. The anchor points for the baby seats are in the roof. This is very annoying especially if using the rear seats as the tether straps get in the face of anybody sitting in the third row.
The center touchscreen with Android auto and apple carplay is generally pretty good. However the system can be quite buggy and features will sometimes not work or the audio become staticy - if that's a word.
Love the rear roof mounted AC vents for the kids. Note: these are cool only (no warm air/heater).
Adaptive cruise control is great. We recently followed a very slow group of drivers through some very windy roads in the national Park for about 15 minutes without touching the brake or accelerator. The car just matched their speed and kept the same distance - even when they stopped for a few seconds.
There is one issue with the adaptive cruise and it's when a vehicle in front of you moves one lane over and slows down (moves into a turning lane). The cruise will brake thinking that you're going to hit this vehicle. It's a bit of an issue when you're doing 110 and suddenly slowing down to 60 for no reason. The workaround is to accelerate slightly when you see someone in front go onto the turning lane. This will override the cruise.
Power from the diesel engine is reasonable considering the good fuel economy. Only drawback really is the low capacity fuel tank. Makes it feel like a petrol car the amount of times we visit the servo for a full up.
So far no issues with the body, panel gaps, rattles, squeeks, paint. All have been perfect. Service cost not too bad for this sized vehicle. With the first service costing $350. Just make sure the dealer rotates the tyres every service and you use the full size alloy spare as part of that rotation.

So, for the money paid we are very happy with the car even though the rear is super ugly. I guess at least it is striking. I strongly recommend going with the exceed model for the extra safety features. Also for God's sake pay the extra for the roof spoiler. The car looks terrible without it.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Great car

I have the exceed.
I love this car, loads of gadjets, comfortable, good fuel economy. Very safe car with the auto breaking detection system. I bought this car because it ticked all the safety aspects I wanted for my family. Great value for money compared to other cars in the same league.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Amazing car

Our first 4wd and we absolutely love it. We were a little concerned about buying a bigger car but the PS is just as awesome around the city as it is on the beach or in the bush. We can't wait to go to places we never thought we could.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Pleasure to Drive anywhere

Great 4x4 characteristics and as car reviews show. Very quiet cabin and soft leather seats give a sense of quality and a plush ride make traveling our country a pleasure. Yet to get my head around all the "infotainment" but would like the "nag screen" to accept my "agree" to be the final say not every time the ignition is switched on. Will update after hitching up the 2.2t caravan. Still getting used to "fly by wire" accelerator as all previous cars have had cable throttle. Do like the 8 speed auto and the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Awesome sounding stereo and DVD in the back for grandkids (5 Seater model) Do like handeling and smooth ride. Not sure about 8 Ltr per 100 Klms as advetised more like 8.7 but yet to settle in. Do like 5 year warranty and yearly service. LED Lighting Vgood.

Update....Its settled in more and is light to drive and very maneuverable. Continues to impress me with 6 L per 100k (on the dash) and 5.7 @ 80klms (roadworks). Had it down the beach when a bogged Jeep GC asked me for a tow out of the sand (wheres a camera when u need one). Very capable 4X4 as the transmission feels very assured.

Take one for a test drive and you'll love it.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

No disappointment here

We have never purchased a new car so this was a big deal for us, it was a big commitment financially but we wanted a car that would allow us to go off the beaten track (so to speak) and to do more with our family. We purchased the new Pajero Sport 7 seater, Exceed model. Well, we have no regrets at all, this is a great car, tows great, comfortable, goes anywhere and has good economy, think about it seriously.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

An SUV worth considering

The more I drive this car the more I like it. We have travelled 25,000 km so far, without real problem. We bought the 5 seat Exceed model because of the 360 degree view on the parking cameras and it makes parking much easier in a fairly large car. The other extras like keyless entry and leather seats are quite nice, although we do not much use the inbuilt DVD player for the rear seat. The occasional grandchild passengers love it and it is effective entertainment over long trips.
It also has blind spot detectors - very useful, and an emergency braking system which reacts if you are heading too quickly towards a car in front of you. That system works well, although it can be disconcerting when it works for the first time (because of a large steel plate over a hole in the road, rather than a near miss in our case).

We had a Toyota Aurion before this and the main thing I did not like about that car was the very mushy steering. The rack and pinion system in the Pajero Sports is much superior being more direct and giving much more feedback.
The car is quite high, and you need to master the skill of getting into the driver and front passenger seat, but the front view when driving is excellent. Elderly passengers need an additional step to help them into the back seats.

I have used the 4 wheel drive system quite a bit, including a good stretch on a gravel road. The inbuilt "gravel" setting worked very well. This car coped with the gravel road better than any other I have driven.
The 4WD does make the car feel more secure on wet and winding roads. It is quite easy to switch between 2WD and 4WD although it takes a minute or so if you are stopped, but changes quickly if you are driving at moderate speed in a straight line.

We achieve about 8 l/100km fuel consumption on the highway and about 10 l/100km around town.
The 8 speed transmission works very smoothly and effectively. The cruise control even holds the car fairly close to the set speed downhill.

The fitted towbar was recalled by Mitsubishi because they had not used enough nuts and bolts to hold it to the car! We have towed our 2000 Kg caravan about 2000 Km to Adelaide and back, since then without problem. I would, however recommend that you do not buy the manufacturers' towbar. It is rather loose in its fitting and quite ugly. I wish I had bought a hayman reese model instead.
The consumption towing the van increased to about 13 l/100 km, a figure I was not too unhappy with.

The more I drive this car the more I like it.
If you are thinking of buying a car to tow your caravan (the reason we changed to the Exceed) then it is very much worth giving it a test drive.

Purchased in January 2016.

Year2,105
Comfort
In 2019 we towed our van to Perth and back via the family in Adelaide. 11 weeks and 11000 kms later, the car never missed a beat nor did it ever show that towing the van was too difficult. It used no oil at all. Still very happy with the car.

See all Mitsubishi Pajero Sport reviews