Netgear AC1200 D6220

Netgear AC1200 D6220

MPN: D6220

See the Best Routers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Quick Delivery and Advise on Product choice.

Worked a Treat. Connected with Aussie Broadband and The Netgear Setup wizard worked first time. (Note: Aussie Broadband isn't Listed - Choose Other) Wifi Signal Strength was stronger than I expected.

Great when it works!

When I first brought this it worked well but after a month I kept having to reset it which drove me mad. It wasn’t easy to setup either. I ended up buying another one.

Purchased in January 2019 at Officeworks Physical store for $99.00.

Number of Connected Devices 2 devices
ISPOptus Broadband ADSL
ModemD-Link DSL-2730B
Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

DID NOT FUNCTION AT ALL!

I bought the Netgear D6220 wifi modem router on 23rd Sept 2018. Unfortunately though the lights all lit up, it did not communicate with my Ipad next to it nor the Smart Samsung TV in the next room or the Sony smart tv in my bedroom which is only 25 meters away. JB HIFI gave me a refund straight away. .... Maddy

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Quality product

Bought this router on 16 April 2018 as an upgrade to my old netcomm router. It’s been working perfectly so far, good wifi coverage, no drop outs like the old netcomm router. however,there’s been an issue with downloading the latest firmware, I keep getting an error when trying to download it from the router IP address. Hopefully Netgear will get this fixed soon!

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Good light little unit suitable for medium houses

This modem is a replacement that the good folks at Netgear provided me with after my D6200 passed on after a power spike within 12 months of purchase. The unit takes a bit more space up in my office, but I am too lazy to hang it on the wall which can be done.
The unit was very easy to set up and configure with the Netgear Genie app, although this wasn't essential, it does make it (I think) easy for the not so tech saavy to get up and running. It also tells me if someone is poaching off my wifi at home too!
I use the modem for Netflix and have not had any problems with buffering. My wife has several wifi devices running through the house and we have no problems with the wifi speeds as long as we are within the confines of the house (>300m floorspace) so it does function well for range.
We run a small office at home and network a printer with it as well and have no problems either.
Aesthetically its a little uglier than the D6200 it replaces, but the lights and interface on the unit are very easy to diagnose what is going on with your connection.
All in all a good modem for basic tv viewing and wifi around the house. If we were mad gamers, I would still use the same modem as speeds will always be best via ethernet vs wifi.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Technical performance great, parental controls disappointing

Technically the unit performs well. The performance is good and set up is straight forward except for parental controls. It has enough settings to satisfy semi-expert users, again, except for parental controls. There is no way to restrict Internet access for time periods per device. Unlike what some reviews are saying, setting up parental controls is not easy and what can be set is limited. The need to install Netgenie on each client to tailor Internet access restrictions is not ideal. If parental controls are what you're looking for, this is not the unit for you. For the price, very disappointed with this unit's parental controls or lack of. If not for this, the unit is fine.

Just as expected

Bought this one few months ago when we changed our service provider. It delivers us a stable connection and speed. Have not gone faulty or experience any disconnection so far. The price on sale is worth of the performance. Hopefully it is durable too. Will definitely recommend to a friend.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Good product

This is a modem for NBN FTTN.( fibre to the node). It sets up easily, the WIFI has a pretty good range and all in all its a pretty reliable device. One problem l do have, is at
least once a day, the modem will flash red- no Internet connection. I am not sure if this is the modem or NBN but it's not enough of a nuisance for me to track the problem down. Another problem is that one of my Samsung note pads constantly loses WIFI connection, something it never did with the other modem. Yet another problem l have is some apps do not work as well now (Gumtree, some photos do not load) but again, l cannot be sure if it's the modem or NBN, or totally unconnected. If you play online gaming, this modem is OK but latency has not improved from the old Internet speed, which is probably due to the Liberal governments FTTN FRAUDBAND but it is still incredibly frustrating. I don't believe in coincidences and the problems l have outlined are due to the modem or NBN, or a combo of both. They never happened before on the old modem and Internet connection.. But all in all, it's a good modem that will do the job but probably won't get your pulse racing.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Is this modem ok with fixed wireless nbn
Yes it is, but you can't plug a phone into it. It seems none of the netgear modems can take on a phone. The red port in the rear of the modem is what you would use for nbn. I have just had the runaround with an ISP on what it can and can't do. Please also keep in mind if you are planning on using the modem in a majority wireless scenario, it might actually act as a bottleneck for the bandwidth of data that is provided via nbn. ie the modem is capable of 900Mbps on wireless, where as a higher specc'd router might offer 1300Mbps but that would be total bandwidth and not per channel. So if you are using a heap of devices, you may experience sub par performance if you are doing things like streaming on multiple devices. The max speeds would also be indicative of access to stuff on a hard drive and not streaming. So ideally if you go a modem spec higher than your nbn plan speed you would probably do something towards future proofing or getting additional wifi devices in the house causing a slow down in wifi signal.

I replaced my 6200 with a new 6220. Unfortunately the coverage is nowhere near the home coverage of the old unit. This is a serious problem for us and wonder if others have had the same problem and if there is a solution?
Define serious problem! If there is something like life threatening involved I would always consider the hard wiring of stuff. All things aside, I have found both to work well although I had a 6200 that worked well although it died after less than 12 months. Things to ask would be is there merit in running a wifi range extender or a ethernet over power arrangement and hardwiring connections if it is a legitimate serious problem. If streaming is the issue, consider installing a phone/dsl port nearer to your media devices and running ethernet cable. It will always be quicker than wifi and the other issue may be on your ISP end. Call in with them and if they are worth what you are paying for them, they may point you in the right direction.

Is it wall mountable?