Netgear D6400

Netgear D6400

MPN: 36035851

Easy setup, great features for family, NBN Ready

I purchased this when I changing ADSL providers in Feb 2017. I wanted to make sure I didn't waste my money and ensured I got a router that NBN ready. I maintained using this router when I switched over the NBN using a different ISP. The router was easy to setup for both ADSL and NBN. It has some very good parent controls, with the ability to block specific devices at any time from the phone app, and good internet filtering with some of the not so kid friendly websites. Very rarely needs a reset, it just does what a good quality router should do; it just connects our large family to the net without fuss. Great router ++++++

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Does the job

A nice modem for opticomm users, house hold with more than 4-6 wifi sets can enjoy internet without compromising, but comes with a huge upfront cost. Possible to find Similar specs modem at a reasonable price. It is a good buy does not buffer for long or hangs. Purchased 2 months ago and no complains

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Its Good

I bought from office works. It took a while for me to set up . Netgear giene app is helpful but it can be faster. It is compatible for NBN . I was expecting a little better range than my old Telstra modem. NOt great i that sense. Looks flashy.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Good stable modem. Faster and quicker than previous model.

This is my 2nd netgear modem. first is the D6300. The service was good as not much wait time.
you get 90 days free tech support so call them when possible. They have express replacement which is $40 next day but if you could wait 5 - 10 days shipping modem to them cost about $15. replacement was quick and easy RMA only a few test and new modem in the mail via star track.

Faster than D6300 and comparable ADSL and wifi speed to Dlink 2890. slower than Archer D9.

Note: NBN VDSL not tested. Price is expensive but could pick up one about $200-$220.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

NETGEAR IS A RIP OFF!!!!!!!!!!!

I am hoping by writing this review I will save somebody else the hassle of ever having to deal with NETGEAR. They are HOPELESS!! I paid $300 for a modem that is not working, but when I phone technical support the options they give me is to pay them $89 to receive technical support OR pay the postage to send the modem back for replacement!!!! And in the meantime I'm stuck with no modem and therefore no internet!!! Which in turn effects my home business. Useless idiots!

It's better than many Modem/Routers I've had

This router is decent, has a lot of features even more technical users would never use.
I've never had devices actually use the AC1600 functionality so I never use it.

The router doesn't send a reliable wireless signal to the other end of my 4 bedroom house (70s built suburban house, no concrete interior walls). However no router I have used recently has had much successes pushing a signal over 5 metres. (Forget about the 5ghz connection more than 3 metres from the router).
As there's no exterior antenna, it's not a simple process to attach bigger high-db antenna to it.

It is about as unreliable as any other router recovering from a drop out. That is, it reconnects but the speeds are heavily reduced until you hard reboot the router, common issue to the last 4 routers (varied brands) I have owned. Maybe this is a carrier issue? I've never really sussed that out.

It doesn't run too hot, many routers do. It has absolutely no issues when you used lan connections, which you would expect even of the most budget routers.

It was horribly expensive new, and still appears to be quite dear for what it is now. For the price, I would opt for a more budget brand for the same experience.