Netgear N600 WNDR3700

Netgear N600 WNDR3700

Easy up w/fast & reliable service ((via comcast ););

Modem via Amazon w/the prime quickness. Unfortunately Comcast is only game in my hood but was stunned w/quick set up time. Aprox. 3 months ago & have not touched modem since; which is exactly how I like it and should be...

Purchased in December 2018 for $48.99.

Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

Easy to Port forward and block websites

It's website management page has a simple interface which is easy to follow.

I managed to use this to port forward a few games which otherwise wouldn't work (Risk of Rain I'm looking at you!)

I used it to block certain websites from appearing.

It allows my playstation to host COD games, which my previous D-Link router did not.

The range is also good, and it auto switches channels if there is too much traffic on one. Overall a good product

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Drops in and out sometimes

Although it does drop in and out sometimes it has been very reliable to us!
It drops out probably once every 6 months! Which to me inst actually that bad because you only need to restart the modem and it connects again!
Very cost effective also- so cant really complain

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

Had this modem for a while - does the job

Have had this modem for a while with no issues, currently connected to 4 computers, 1 laptop, 1 TV, 1 printer and several phones. Starts up reasonably quickly after turning it off to re-configure. Sometimes the internet does drop out, but I'm not sure if this is because of the modem.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Decent speeds. Can take a while to start up.

In terms of speeds, it depends on your plan. But for my situation, it gives good speeds when connected to the main modem. The main problem I have with it is that when rebooting the router, it can take up to 15min to restart. It can also sometimes randomly disconnect and not reconnect for sometimes hours. But overall, it is an ok router for general browsing and light gaming.

Date PurchasedJul 2012

Router OK, support terrible

I purchased this unit because my previous router was no longer coping with the high number of internet enabled devices in the house. It was recommended highly in a number of websites specialising in reviewing computer equipment. When I went to purchase it, shop staff seemed to lack good knowledge about the diference and availability of the variations of this router. It can also be puchased as a combined ADSL modem/router and I was told that the version I wanted did not exist (obviously untrue). I had to go elsewhere to buy it.
I encountered problems with setup and the router was initially not able to obtain an ip address. The Netgear help centre was truly terrible. The staff seemed to have no training, few ideas about how to fix the problem, and tended to shift blame eg "it must be your modem". Ultimately I fixed the problem myself via internet searches for people who encountered the same problem. For anyone who is interested I reset the router to factory settings and then used the router's internal setup program rather than the wizard supplied on the disc.
I have still to get my network enabled printer connected properly.
I really like the idea of parental controls based at router level as it has become increasingly dificult to manage the plethora of devices we have. Once it was enough to download parental control software onto the computers but now solutions have to be found for phones, and gaming machimes as well. Providing router-level control is a great idea. However, I am disappionted in the completeness of the parental control tool. PC based solutions such as Norton Family allow you to customise time on, times accessible and content for each user. By comparion the router-based solution applies a one-size fits all solution and then allows for a by-pass account. It does not allow me to limit time spent on devices, blocking access entirely (eg after bedtime), or easily customise filters for individual users. Hopefully Netgear will expand thier offering in this area.
I also really like the idea of being able to set up central storage although I have not yet tried.
Be aware that you will not be able to access the 5 ghz band unless you have devices that have adapters supporting it, All mine are currently 2.4 ghz so it does not work for us.
So far the router seems to be providing a solid service with few dropouts. There is a small but signiicant delay between an action on screen, such as clicking a link and the computer responding, Possibly due to the parental controls,
Once set up seems to provide solid performance. Like addition features such as parental controls and usb sturage.
Experiencing lags in response time possibly due to parental controls. Buggy to set up. Online support terrible.

Poor equipment and service

Purchased N300 and Netgear could not get it to work. Had an IT person look at the system and concluded the equipment was faulty. Returned it and purchased a N600 thinking we are better off with more expensive equipment. Netlink could not get that to work either and requested we return it to the supplier again.

Worst Router Ever!

Constantly having to restart it to get the wireless connections working.
Constantly having to restart it to get the internet connection working.
Wireless range is about 10m.
Does not automatically increase the connection speed after shaping has been removed on the internet connection.
When a USB device is connected the internet connection drops to the speed of that USB device.
Not buying Netgear products again.
Gigabit ethernet
Unreliable wireless connections, Unreliable wired connections, inadequate wireless range, fails to negotiate connection speeds, useless when USB device connected

Thank you Smeagle, Until now I have been having mechanics from my ISP come by daily as my internet connection suffers massively since I bought this new router. The internet connection needs a reset about every day, as it drops down from 150 mb/s to a devastating 10 mb/s. Everything also freezes up when it reaches that speed, even the router itself become unreachable. Only when turning off all the downloads I can access it to reset it. I think I spend the equivalent of 300 Euro trying to fix this 150 euro router, to hopefully let it preform as good as a 10 euro router. Eventually I went back to my router that is now 12 years old (original price 40 gulden = 20 euro) . Guess what, it outperformed it. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.