Optus Mobile Broadband

Optus Mobile Broadband

• Adequate Speeds Yes (36%) · No (64%)

Abbas

AbbasMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Don't Buy It!!!

It has been around 6 months that I am using 4G mobile broadband. For the first two weeks, it was good; after that is has dropped out in most of the evenings. Now it is lockdown and everybody is home, the internet is completely useless!!! I contacted them a few time and been told that they cannot fix the problem instead they offered me a 25% discount. My NBN will be connected in June, that is why I have kept it until now, not anymore!!

Start DateOctober 2020
Simon M.

Simon M.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Pathetic performance and Useless Customer Service

My apartment isn't due to receive NBN for many months and the ADSL coverage was poor, so I hoped Optus 4G would do the job as I live right on the fringe of the city with a tower 1km away. Wow was I wrong. Every now and again the speeds jump but on average download speeds are 1-3 Mbps, and Optus Tech support just keep telling me to power cycle the modem and offer no other help.

I've bought antennas and placed them outside in the hope that they'd improve the situation, but the improvement has been marginal.

I strongly recommend you avoid my mistake of joining up to Optus Mobile Broadband.

Contract Type12-month contract

DO NOT GET IT. PROBABLY DESERVE 0 RATING

Very poor coverage. Internet drops all the time. Their excuse was working on towers. but if they work 5 days in a week on tower then why do they charge customer.
And customer service is just worse.

Start DateMarch 2020
Internet Service Providers

Find out how Optus Mobile Broadband compares to other Internet Service Providers

Pete

PeteAU

Possible solution for conection issues

Start DateDecember 2019
Evie

EvieSouth East Queensland, QLD

Optus Mobile Broadband 500gb

Worst Internet service I have ever had. My Vodafone Dongle wifi is better but unfortunately too expensive to run for a home service.

Optus Home Wifi works well at times but often lags and buffers at busy times.

No I would not recommend this product. We brought the modem outright so an cancel at any time and no further charges

Data TypeCapped Data

Don't trust in store sales person.. LIARS

When signing a new plan, I was advised I could change plans (up or down) with NO fee, only time I would be charged is if I cancel my contract and would have to pay the difference on the modem. Tried to change down 1 plan today and advised I would be charged for the remainder of current plan. So was an outright lie in the shop that got me to sign to a higher plan originally other wise would have started lower and then gone up if needed.

Start DateSeptember 2019
Kim Liong W.

Kim Liong W.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Forget it

I wonder why I signed up for this. Speed has been crawling and suffered from intermittent breaks. Around 9pm today I was so frustrated I took three speedcheck readings - Download (0.38, 1.63 and 0.83), Upload (0.52, 0.75 and 0.67). Really shameful!

Excellent alternative to satellite and ADSL.

• +1
Flynn Schultz

Flynn SchultzSydney, NSW

Great value for money, very few problems

I recently upgraded to the Optus/ Huawei B818 Wireless Modem. After turning it on and updating the system software the modem runs like a charm. Speeds are consistent from 40mbps-150mbps and is very reliable. I restart the modem weekly to avoid wifi strain. Only issues i have are the limited Ethernet ports it only comes with 2 on the modem itself. Also putting a sim card into the modem is too finicky for a modern device. Lastly the lights are too bright and i must cover the modem to get some sleep. Aside from those the modem is fantastic

Start DateMarch 2020
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Internet Service Providers

Forget it if you're in a rural/regional area

Sold this useless piece of equipment B818 modem on the 500Gb plan but where I live there is only 4G in the 700mhz (common in regional areas as it has a broader reach) but this modem was designed for the 2300Mhz band although the tech specs says it does a whole range. But after complaining to Optus about the constant dropouts and slow speed they just said it won't work where you are, cancel the service. But their sales staff and online coverage maps say it's fine. False advertising and a waste of my time and the cause of much frustration.

Terrible

The service constantly drops out and is unusable. The slowest internet we have ever experienced. Not just slow it drops out for minutes at a time. Would not recommend ever.

Data TypeCapped Data

Better avoid to switch to optus.. they dont care for you.

OPTUS guys made me to switch forcefully to their wireless Mobile broadband from TPG offering a good speed near to 50 Mbps, but i am not even getting 1 Mbps. Calling them from months but no one really cares. Worst service I have faced, finally decided to move on to other provider.

Rod

RodGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Terrible Service (non existent)

My broadband service keeps cutting out. I have to keep rebooting my modem (half a dozen times every night) until I finally get connected. I can’t believe this is the kind of service we are getting in AUSTRALIA! When you call customer service you wait hours just to get to speak do someone. And when you try to chat with someone, all you get is apologies for the inconvenience. My issue has been on going for 2 months now. You’d think OPTUS would actually try to fix my problem and present a solution. NOTHING, absolutely nothing from OPTUS. Don’t use them, their service is absolutely awful!!

Paul

PaulVictoria, 3064

Don’t deal with Optus. Lodge a TIO complaint

Do not deal with Optus. Zero communication. Zero customer service. Zero updates on order. Worse telecom ever! Complain to the TIO ! Optus gets charged from $31 for level 1 complaints to several hundred for level 4 complaints for every complaint we all make. Maybe they’ll sort themselves out when it affects their bottom line.

Sandra

SandraQueensland

Easy Mobile Broadband -No Tricks Or Headache

I have transitioned to Optus twice in my time due another company completely stuffing me around.
Optus is easy transparent and has good customer service.
I’ll never steer away from trying to find a bargain deal. They’re well worth the money. Everyone should use Optus.

eelD

eelDGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

It’s ok for what it is

I was originally on the 200GB plan but kept going over so recently upgraded to the 500GB and am quite pleased whether it.
I do a lot of surfing the web, Netflix, YouTube and music streaming and I find the service to be really good. No lagging, drop outs etc.
The price could be cheaper for what it is but I’ve just switched from another major telco who had drop outs continuously so I’m relieved to say that Optus do have a reliable service and I haven’t experienced any drop outs in 10 months of service.
I have contacted Optus a couple of times and found their service to be pleasant and respectful so no complaints there either.

Start DateApril 2019
Osman B.

Osman B.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

I think this is one of worse companies in Australia...

Trying to cancel my internet and I give all my details and the cancellation date but they okay sir we noted everything so contact with us on the day you wish to cancel LoL. This company is a joke. This is one of incidents I had there is more.

Start DateJune 2009
Fizzlefart

Fizzlefart

Optus 4G .....quicker to send a paper plane

I have both 200gb and 500gb plans 4G. I get an average of 1.2mbps on both with an external aerial 400m from the tower. I would be very careful signing up a 4g connection. Although sometimes I can get an email so its not all bad. If you play games forget it.

Start DateNovember 2018
Contract Type12-month contract
Ricky dee

Ricky deePerth, WA

Yes, we know Nothing, Nothing..

Start DateNovember 2018
Standalone or BundledBundled

Worst 4g

Dont get 4g wireless from optus if you want speeds of less than 2mbps. Tried the servicd out and it has been horrible. Do not reccommend. Try a different carrier.

Start DateJanuary 2020