Optus Mobile Broadband

Optus Mobile Broadband

1.9

• Adequate Speeds Yes (35%) · No (65%)

Jacob H.

Jacob H.Sydney, NSW

Unstable at best

Look for another option. This doesn't even work for a Zoom call, Netfix freezes, pages won't load. I honestly revert to my mobile hotspot when I want a more reliable connection.

Start DateSeptember 2020
Liz

LizGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Optus provide a useless internet service

The slowest, complicated and frustrating service ever provided by a broadband internet service provider.
Really Really Really frustrating and slow internet service that drops off half way or lags when you really need it.

Start DateMarch 2020
Data TypeUnlimited Data

Terrible Service - Don’t Waste Your Time

Start DateApril 2018
Internet Service Providers

Find out how Optus Mobile Broadband compares to other Internet Service Providers

Chris

ChrisPerth, WA

Horrible customer service with ''live'' chat

Spent multiple days trying to have my service cancelled via their Chat service as you cannot call the billing department. Was the most painful experience I've ever had. Avoid at all cost.

Start DateMarch 2018
Richard

RichardSydney, NSW

Worst customer service

Her name is Mariza online customer service ever, no reply after couple chats and she left. Keep sending texts and yet no reply at all at the end. How come optus hiring such employee.

Start DateJuly 2019
Ben M.

Ben M.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Do not buy mobile broadband!!!

Worst internet and customer service.
Internet constantly drops out so it is impossible to stream anything and the customer service is even worse!!! I have tried to get thus fixed but Optus won’t get back to me.

Erwin

ErwinGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

I am finally satisfied

I moved from Optus ADSL service to 4G Home Broadband service 3 days ago. The ADSL was slow and unstable. I went to Optus shop in Melbourne and the staff gave me Huawei B818 modem. It was very easy to set up the modem.

I live in Fitzroy. Initially the internet download speed was very slow (only around 1-5 Mbps during peak hours). I chat Optus support team and the staff said there was a tower upgrade near Fitzroy which would be completed in 3 days time. Today is the last day of the upgrade and my internet download speed has improved a lot. During the peak hours I could get download speed between 15-45 Mbps. I am pretty happy with the service now.

Start DateJuly 2020

Terrible customer service

Woke up this morning with no internet. Our password wasn’t working. I called Optus and they said I had to go in store. I went I store and they gave me a number to call. They then told me there was no broadband or nbn connected to my account. I called again an hour later and suddenly our account was back and they told me to press a reset button on the modem which they could have started with instead of sending me on a wild goose chase for no reason. Optus is trash. No help. Don’t use this service.

Julie Farrier

Julie FarrierPerth, WA

Utter Pig Swell

Only had it a week and will be changing providers already. Worse than iiNet. Slow doesn't even come close. Worst decision I have made. Whole outage in our area with no idea when it will be up and running. Sorry but you Canstar should be a Can'tstar

Start DateJuly 2020

If I could rate it 0 I would

Poor speeds less than 2 Mbps on $90 a month plan. 4 x 1 hour calls to company to fix the problem. 6 weeks later nothing despite promises. On the first occasion they told me I want even a customer despite being with them for 10 years. It went downhill from there. Avoid at all costs.

Start DateAugust 2010
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Dol

DolSydney, NSW

Soo slow. Feeling like a dial-up.

4G broadband, Optus used to be fast. Probably keep selling until it is overwhelming. The speed back to be faster after midnight. The worst is from late afternoon until 11pm. I am moving to NBN but not with Optus anymore. 4G that is as slow as a dial-up is not acceptable. Don't be fool by the name.

Start DateSeptember 2018
Tony

TonySouth East Queensland, QLD

B818 modem $65pm deal 500 gig...undelivered

FREQUENTLY less than 1mbps......hopeless. I bought this mobile bb modem to be free of nbn to use when travelling. $65 a month for painfully slow data data download. Look further ...

Data TypeCapped Data

“Transfer you to colleague”

Client service centre doesn’t value customer service and will lie to you rather than tell you that they have to go home on time, rather than being polite and asking you to call back to sort out a complicated billing situation with your new home set up - would not recommend if you want utilities connected quickly.

Rae

RaeDarling Downs, QLD

Absolutely Rediculous

Visited an Optus Store to cancel a contract, was told unable to cancel contracts in store, this to me is rediculous as you have to visit a store to set up a contract! Was told to call their customer call centre to cancel. Unable to hear the people on the other end of the phone having to hang up and call several times. Will never do business with Optus again.

Start DateMay 2019

So Many Things They Don't Tell you

Rabia

Rabia

It’s the worst internet connection I have ever seen in my life I have been paying to them coz I have a contract. Mistake

Bad internet and connection they have no customer service they are making contract and you cannot leave them for a while otherwise they are going to get lots of money for breaking up your contract. I never seen that bad connection in my life before I am changing my internet company tomorrow and this is the end living with no internet because my contract is done.

Start DateAugust 2017
Data TypeCapped Data

Ok(ish) when it works.... but it hardly does

Slow intermittent speeds. Watching YouTube buffering on 144p wooo. Like others have said it’s actually okay when it works semi decent speeds and what not but toooo frequent slows/crawls useless

Andy

Andy

Absolutely Rubbish

I reside in Batemans Bay NSW and have a 200GB/Mth plan with Optus. During the day 8 - 16 Mbps is almost always achievable but come Friday night when I want to watch the footy it is one big buffer after another, - between 0 .5Mbps and 1.5Mbps. When the is a a top of the table game on Optus just refuses to steam at all! The bandwith is completely inadequate to cope with demand, and this is during the non holiday low season when the demand is lowest.

Start DateNovember 2018
George

George

Speeeeeeeeed and great customer service

Had an issue with Belong -Terrible company. Went to Optus to find a quick solution and they offered me the mobile broadband 4G router. Love it!! Plug and play, had internet on the same day.
They also offered to bundle my phone with the 4G router, upgraded my mobile quota to 60 gigs + the 500 gigs you get with the router. Really happy with it so far.

Start DateJune 2020

Complete garbage.

Frequent drop-outs, especially in the afternoon. Even during non-peak times (early morning) the speeds achieved are poor and nothing close to what is claimed. Connection issues are dismissed by Optus saying that they are undertaking scheduled maintenance for a 3 month period! This is in the inner-west of Sydney.

Craig

Craigasked

Mobile Broadband

Huawei B818 modem and mobile broadband is extremely unreliable, sometimes it works perfectly at 40M/p/s some times 0.2m/p/s. When you plug in ethernet cable Huawei B818-completely stops working. I want to understand how to fix?

ralph.dixon.3990

ralph.dixon.3990asked

How much to buy the B818 4G WiFi Modem outright

Hi Ralph,

Optus list the B818 modem as part of a month to month plan with the price being $281 for the first month ($216 for the modem and $65 for the 200GB plan). Due to this, I would believe that $216 would be the RRP for this modem.

You might be better off calling your closest Optus store (if they're still open at all with this pandemic happening) as I have had to go to one of their stores to purchase a modem outright in the past (or in my case, a replacement modem due to dropping my old one and breaking it). I can't remember if I had to prove that I had an existing plan with them already so if you're trying to buy a modem without having a plan be sure to check that you can buy one in that situation first.

Also, if you're currently on one of the Wireless Broadband plans, there is a clause in the Critical Information Summary which says that you can't remove the SIM from your existing device so if you are looking to replace your current device with this modem be sure to check that you can do so.

Sorry for the long winded answer.

Thanks,
Zach.

Kim M.

Kim M.asked

Will my 500gig role over on to the next lot if I don't use it all that month

Hi Kim,

It's probably a bit late for my reply but I'll answer nonetheless.

Data doesn't rollover, if you don't use all of your 500GB for the month, you'll still only get your standard 500GB for the next month.

Thanks,