2Oricom DTX600

Formerly called ULTRA550

John
JohnMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Light and compact DTX600

I purchased this 5 watt unit as a Christmas present for my wife as a back up for the unit inbuilt in my Landcruiser, very impressed with these Oricom units having used an older one in my recent harvest work at a grain storage facility. We enjoy Caravaning and 4WD with the Landcruiser Club SA this provides clear and concise communication at all times weather in or out of our vehicle, parking the van spotting on a 4WD track or a bush walk away from camp. My wife also loves the special edition artwork and I love the little Oricom sticker for our Landcruiser wagon Show details ·  1
Steve
Steve

Same faults on two separate DTX 600s

The volume and reception keep failing for no apparent reason. I noticed the problems on the first unit and had a number of experienced UHF users to examine the unit and test it. We compared it to a one watt hand held unit and the one watt unit performed better. I reset the radio and tried switching it on and off. I got the radio replaced and the same problems have returned. Some times the volume functions normally and sometimes the radio becomes very quiet. Similarly, the reception is equally unreliable. I'm going to call Oricom, but at this stage, the radio is not really a useable tool.
Oricom   DM

Hi there, we are sorry to hear of your experience and would ask that you give us a call so we can sort this out for you. Please call 02 4574 8888 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, and the team will be able to assist. All the best, Oricom.

Steven Johnson
Steven JohnsonSouth East Queensland, QLD2 posts

The best

Bought any ultra 550 hand held cb, better than most mounted cb. The range on this little beauty is up to 100ks. Thanks oricom. And it's an Australian company wich I always prefer, even if it's not made in Australia, should start getting the dole bludger working. LOL. Show 2 replies
Laszlo
LaszloPerth, WA2 posts

Great Product - Fantastic Support

I purchased the UHT550 to use for “escorting” a group of road bike riders on a ride from Perth in WA to Newcastle NSW. Purchased a pack inclusive of handset, in car charging system and external magnetic mount antennae. Performance and battery life were great on the long slow convoy and enabled me to communicate with other road users to keep riders and others safe and calm.
Whenever I’ve had an issue Customer Support have been fantastic explaining how to help them diagnose and set up instructions. Twice now they’ve chosen to replace items that weren’t working to spec. Definitely recommend the product and company. About to purchase a fixed mount too. Show details ·  1
Frankie V.
Frankie V.Richmond-Tweed, NSW
  Fair Incentive

Wouldn't go exploring without it

Awesome bit of gear.
Heaps of range and very compact and light. Easy to use as well.
12v and 240v charging abilities makes charging a breeze.
I wouldn't go exploring out bush with out it.
 Show details ·  1
Glenn glenn
Glenn glennIllawarra, NSW

Everyday workhorse

I’m in high risk highway traffic control and need reliable communication. The 550 fills the role perfectly with great battery life and voice clarity. The unit is also fine to use in bad weather conditions. Show details ·  1
Storeman Steve
Storeman SteveHobart, TAS2 posts

A true performer

I've used this radio in my role in Logistics. From ambient temperatures to minus 22 degrees. This radio has been subject to drops on concrete and subject to condensation and rain. The battery life is amazing, seeing me through four work days without a recharge. Only one criticism I work in a noisy environment, the volume is loud enough but the clarity could be better. Keep in mind, this radio lives in my top freezer jacket. I sometimes forget this isn't a commercial radio, but can easily pass as one. The ULTRA550 reception out performs my in car UHF radio. Show details ·  1
Timothy Williams
Timothy WilliamsSouth East Queensland, QLD

The best versatile handheld radio

Absolutely love this little unit battery life is exceptional. Speakers loud and mic is extremely clear, perfect for spotting your mates or for a vehicle without a built in uhf. Show details ·  1
Jason
JasonCentral, SA

Decent radio, but lots of after sales spam

Bought it to use while offroading & hiking and it functions well for that purpose, no complaints.

Just be aware that you'll have to unsubscribe from 5 different mailing lists including repeated requests for reviews like this one.

Oricom   DM

Hi Jason, thanks for the review and feedback on the product. Oricom

rajkumar r.
rajkumar r.Sydney, NSW

Battery cover not sliding in properly

Battery cover does not slide in and sit properly leaving a gap for water to get in . i sent photo to oricom support team with inserting 5 papers in the gap, but he refused to replace the product. keep saying water will not get into the handset. He thinks paper can go in the gap but not the water. if i push the battery cover 2 mm from the bottom to up it goes, when i takeout my thumb it comes back. I told him i am going to leave this review in your website , he disconnected my phone call. Show details
Oricom   DM

Hi there, As discussed at length with Oricom Support, the gap you were inquiring about is normal. The waterproofing is on the inside around the battery contacts and the inside of the chassis where it meets the front housing. All the best, Oricom.

Russell Warfield
Russell WarfieldSouth East Queensland, QLD2 posts

Ultra550 Review

I purchased the item for our caravan travels throughout Australia in the future. It seems well built and a compact design and as I didn't want an installed cb radio, it is perfect for my needs. The item was recommended through a caravan magazine. I have not fully tested it yet but it seems to work fine. My only criticism is that the instruction manual is a bit basic. It does not give enough information about each setting. I am a newbie at using this type of device and am a bit lost on setting it up correctly. Otherwise very pleased and I'm sure it will be well used. Show details ·  1
Harry Morgan
Harry MorganNortheast, VIC

Oricom hand held

Excellent product exceptional service,very satisfied with all aspects of the purchase.We would not hesitate to recommend this hand held radio to anyone.package was well presented and arrived well presented,radio is easy to operate with good instruction Show details ·  1
AFS
AFSPilbara, WA

Ultra550 Review

Easy to use, heaps of features, ruggered design, battery lasts ages and being compact makes it a good choice. Brought offline though Oricom, easy to deal with. Recommend this product and online purchasing Show details ·  1
Les Olsen
Les OlsenPalmerston, NT

All good

Delivered on time. Unit looks and feels great. I have not fully tested due to restrictions but so far works well arround the house. Looking a getting a second one. Cheers Les Show details ·  1
Rob Green
Rob GreenGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great quality

I have only tested it at home,not had a chance to try it out under real conditions, but I will certainly try it as soon as restrictions are fully lifted. Show details ·  1