Oricom ULTRA550

Oricom ULTRA550

MPN: ULTRA550-1

Frankie V.
Frankie V.Richmond-Tweed, NSW

Wouldn't go exploring without it

Awesome bit of gear.
Heaps of range and very compact and light. Easy to use as well.
12v and 240v charging abilities makes charging a breeze.
I wouldn't go exploring out bush with out it.

Purchased in April 2021.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Frankie, thanks for the review and taking the time to let others know of your experience. All the best, Oricom

Glenn glenn
Glenn glennIllawarra, NSW

Everyday workhorse

I’m in high risk highway traffic control and need reliable communication. The 550 fills the role perfectly with great battery life and voice clarity. The unit is also fine to use in bad weather conditions.

Purchased in March 2020 at 4WD Supacentre Online store for $250.00.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Glenn, thanks for the message and we appreciate the feedback and support. All the best, Oricom.

Storeman Steve
Storeman SteveHobart, TAS

A true performer

I've used this radio in my role in Logistics. From ambient temperatures to minus 22 degrees. This radio has been subject to drops on concrete and subject to condensation and rain. The battery life is amazing, seeing me through four work days without a recharge. Only one criticism I work in a noisy environment, the volume is loud enough but the clarity could be better. Keep in mind, this radio lives in my top freezer jacket. I sometimes forget this isn't a commercial radio, but can easily pass as one. The ULTRA550 reception out performs my in car UHF radio.

Purchased in October 2019 at BCF Physical Store for $260.00.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi there, thanks for the review and taking the time to let others know of your experience with the product. All the best, Oricom.

Timothy Williams
Timothy WilliamsSouth East Queensland, QLD

The best versatile handheld radio

Absolutely love this little unit battery life is exceptional. Speakers loud and mic is extremely clear, perfect for spotting your mates or for a vehicle without a built in uhf.

Purchased in June 2020.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi there, thanks for the review and taking the time to let others know of your experience with the product. We appreciate the feedback and you taking the time to let others know of your experience with the product. All the best, Oricom.

Jason
JasonCentral, SA

Decent radio, but lots of after sales spam

Bought it to use while offroading & hiking and it functions well for that purpose, no complaints.

Just be aware that you'll have to unsubscribe from 5 different mailing lists including repeated requests for reviews like this one.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Jason, thanks for the review and feedback on the product. Oricom

rajkumar r.
rajkumar r.Sydney, NSW

Battery cover not sliding in properly

Battery cover does not slide in and sit properly leaving a gap for water to get in . i sent photo to oricom support team with inserting 5 papers in the gap, but he refused to replace the product. keep saying water will not get into the handset. He thinks paper can go in the gap but not the water. if i push the battery cover 2 mm from the bottom to up it goes, when i takeout my thumb it comes back. I told him i am going to leave this review in your website , he disconnected my phone call.

• +1Thumbnail

Purchased in November 2020 for $249.00.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi there, As discussed at length with Oricom Support, the gap you were inquiring about is normal. The waterproofing is on the inside around the battery contacts and the inside of the chassis where it meets the front housing. All the best, Oricom.

Russell WarfieldSouth East Queensland, QLD

Ultra550 Review

I purchased the item for our caravan travels throughout Australia in the future. It seems well built and a compact design and as I didn't want an installed cb radio, it is perfect for my needs. The item was recommended through a caravan magazine. I have not fully tested it yet but it seems to work fine. My only criticism is that the instruction manual is a bit basic. It does not give enough information about each setting. I am a newbie at using this type of device and am a bit lost on setting it up correctly. Otherwise very pleased and I'm sure it will be well used.

Purchased in May 2020.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Russell, thanks for the review and feedback on the ULTRA550. We appreciate you taking the time to let others know of your experience, and wish you all the best with your future use. Oricom

Harry Morgan
Harry MorganNortheast, VIC

Oricom hand held

Excellent product exceptional service,very satisfied with all aspects of the purchase.We would not hesitate to recommend this hand held radio to anyone.package was well presented and arrived well presented,radio is easy to operate with good instruction

Purchased in June 2020 for $199.00.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Harry, thanks for the review. We really appreciate the support and feedback, and wishing you all the very best with your future use. Oricom.

AFS
AFSPilbara, WA

Ultra550 Review

Easy to use, heaps of features, ruggered design, battery lasts ages and being compact makes it a good choice. Brought offline though Oricom, easy to deal with. Recommend this product and online purchasing

Purchased in May 2020 for $198.00.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi there, thanks for the review and support. We appreciate the feedback and thanks for taking the time to let others know of your experience. All the best, Oricom.

Les Olsen
Les OlsenPalmerston, NT

All good

Delivered on time. Unit looks and feels great. I have not fully tested due to restrictions but so far works well arround the house. Looking a getting a second one. Cheers Les

Purchased in May 2020 at Oricom on line for $199.00.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Les, thanks for the review. We appreciate the review and the feedback on the ULTRA550, and wish you all the best with your future use. Oricom.

Rob Green
Rob GreenGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Great quality.

I have only tested it at home,not had a chance to try it out under real conditions, but I will certainly try it as soon as restrictions are fully lifted.

Purchased in May 2020 at From Oricom..

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Rob, thanks for the review. We appreciate the feedback and let us know how you go when you give it a full workout! We know you will love it! Oricom.

Derek Slater
Derek SlaterVictoria

Fantastic product.

Haven’t used it yet because of restrictions with Covid-19. But looks a very robust unit. When we can get back on the tracks it will be very handy outside of the vehicle as it’s ip rated if I drop it in water.

Purchased in May 2020 at On line store for $299.00.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Derek, thanks for the review. We appreciate the initial review, and cant wait to hear of the success of the radio on your trips post Covid! All the very best, Oricom.

Review collected in partnership with Oricom

Perfect handheld works exceptionally well

Purchased in September 2019.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Anthony, thanks for the review. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience and wish you all the best with your future use. All the best, Oricom.

Matt R.
Matt R.

Wish I got one sooner

My girlfriend and I started traveling around Aus at the start of 2019. I had very cheap handheld UHF units with a “that’ll do” attitude. But I soon realised that it’s very important to have a decent UHF unit. I went for this handheld unit as I didn’t have to worry about an install on the road. Coupled with the magnetic antenna for when I need the extra range (especially handy that I can stick it to the roof for maximum range) this unit performs just as well as any hard mounted units I’ve seen and used. Being handheld it’s great to take outside the vehicle for recoveries and even on hikes. Also it has a really robust feeling to it so I’m not afraid to knock it around and am confidant it will give me many years of service.

Purchased in August 2019 for $249.00.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Matt, thanks for the review. We appreciate the feedback and wish you all the best with your future use. Oricom.

Dingo

How handy is this little beauty.

Have found this hand held extremely useful both while travelling or on the farm.
When travelling my girlfriend in seperate cars she takes it with with her so we can keep in contact as I have an Oricom uhf fitted in my 4x4.
When on the farm I carry it with me when around the property in case of emergency or I hurt myself to be able to call help as we have limited phone reception and there always have trucks in the area that would be able to assist.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Technical SupportOricom

Hi Dingo, thanks for the message. We are glad to hear of your experience with the ULTRA550 and appreciate you taking the time to let others know. All the best with your future use. Oricom

Cheers, not a problem

Buddy
Buddyasked

Can anyone please tell me whether they’ve somehow connected an antenna that can extend the range on this model? We’ve got one and can talk to trucks when they’re close to our van, but want to be able to contact people further away if need be. Thank you

Technical SupportOricom

Hi there, the connector you would be looking for is per the link below:

Thanks, Oricom.

Steven N.
Steven N.asked

Hi does this radio have vox

Hi there, yes the ULTRA550 does include the VOX functionality. Oricom

Max
Maxasked

I travel by myself, do I really need two handhelds or will a single one be sufficient. Tossing between the 2500 or the 550. what would you recommend?

Russell Warfield

Hi Max. I’m a newbie at this but I would think you only need one. It both sends and receives. You can get an Magnetic antenna for the roof which attaches to the walkie talkie and this extends the range apparantly.

Technical SupportOricom

Hi Max, a single handheld would be sufficient for your intended use. If you had a convoy or similar and wanted to give them a radio to use also, then a twin pack would be suitable, but since you are by yourself, just the single handheld will work. We would suggest that ULTRA550 for your use, as it is the flagship Oricom model, and is 5 Watt which will give you greater range. Any questions, please give us a call on 02 4574 8888 Mon-Fri 8am-6pm AEST, as the team will be able to assist you. All the best, Oricom.

Get an answer from our members and Oricom representatives

CategoryUHF & VHF Radios