OZtrail Tourer

OZtrail Tourer

9, 10 Plus, 9 Plus, Extra Swift and Twin

Great value

For a relatively cheap tent this has been great. We used this it for 6 years, and it held up well to being jumped on by toddlers, fallen on by drunkards, heavy rain, crazy wind, dusty festivals, hot cold, you name it. Fantastic for overnighters as its easy to set up, but comes into its own for longer trips and week long events. We got this so we would be able to have a porta cot in it while we travelled the east coast, and it was great for that. In the end the zips all went otherwise I'd still be using it. Just ordered a new one, this time without the back extension as the kids are now (thank god!) in one of their own.

Comfortable good option

Quite light and easy to transport. Provided adequate protection from the elements. Good value for the price will be the perfect companion for a few days in the great outdoors. Only slight issue is material could be sturdier to hold up in windy conditions but overall definitely recommended for camping trips

An expensive purchase

i used this tent quite alot. I followed the instructions on how to condition the Material but still it leaked after heavy downpour and storm. After cleaning and drying it out i used it again and it leaked after another downpour. This time i had to wait until the rain stopped to dry it out but noticed something was a little smelly. My camp matteress had gotten wet and mould appeared under the matteress and around the joints on the floor of the tent. I took both back to where i purchased them at BCF and they were happy to replace them under warranty however after a short time again out camping the same thing happened to the tent. It leaked and leaked so i threw it away after conditioning this one too.

Great tent quick set up

Have owned this tent for 7 years great tent in all conditions, from beach camping to high country winter camping.
Rain, wind snow and sun shine. room for 2 people to camp for weeks at a time.

Fantastic Tent

We have owned many tents from dome tents to 2 room canvas tents. This is by far the best for a 3 day weekend for a family of four. It doesn't leak. It survives wild wind and storms. It sets up in less than 10 minutes. You can stand up inside it. We have owned ours for well over 8 years and its as good as new.
The only thing to be aware of is its size when packed down. Its not the smallest or the lightest but its certainly durable and sturdy..

Pole broke on second use.

Great tent. Have not used in the rain yet, but on only the second use, the wing nut on the pole snapped. Same happened on our other, more expensive tent, but, as it has a hole throught the roof, we just use a extendable tent pole. This one hasn't. It has a rubber stopper top and bottom, so we will have to buy a replacement pole.

Spacious and simple design Tent

I bought this tent from BCF for $300.
I have taken it out only once with no issues. It is very easy to set up and I find it very spacious as I am used to the small dome (crawl in) type of tents so this one is a nice change.
I have heard some stories that the canvas leaks and that it should be 'watered' a couple of times before heading out which i did. There is also some kind of inexpensive fluid that can be sprayed over the canvas to further facilitate the water resistant properties.

I have still not had it in any major rainstorms so i cannot verify its water resisting abilities but so far, the tent is a-OK.

I am giving it 4/5 stars purely because of the lack of use in the rain.

I love this tent! Easy to erect and dismantle for 1 person.

I used my tent last April travelling from Eden to Cairns and back, it is totally waterproof, plenty of space and head room. I hosed it as per instructions, no water came inside ever. I even weathered some torrential rain preceding the cyclone which chased me down the coast on the way home. Plenty of space for beds, tables etc. Also electrical cord flaps and hooks for lights were really handy. I was 66 years old at the time and found the 10.5kg weight not a problem to carry. Love it

Top Tent

If the front door is opened during rain water comes in. Solved this problem by putting front part of the tent under a 3x3 metre pergola which covers the front third of the tent and leaves 1.5 metres of shelter in front of the tent as well. Perfect travelling tent.

Don't Buy - Leaks Like a Sieve

I erected this tent and conditioned it in accordance with the instructions. After the second hosing I left the tent standing and noticed that when you touched the inside of the canvass my hand was wet. No other leaks. The tent dried out but before I was able to take the tent down it started to rain so I left the tent up. After 2 days the floor was covered with water from leaks around the roof and the inside of the canvass was damp. I contacted Oztrail who said what did I expect as the tent had been up two days in the rain - doh - not to leak. I asked if they sold flys and they said it was not needed.

Also how do you close the awning fly when you are inside the tent as there are attachments for the zips.

This tent needs a fly.

Do not buy this tent if you need a waterproof tent.

great touring tent for couples

Easy and fast to put up, good quality, never leaked. Would recommend to friends and family. Would not Personally recommend for a family for extended stay. Great touring tent! Got two kids now and looking to upgrade. Only negative is the bag which toe at the seams. Most Oztrail products are pretty good
quality, easy and fast to put up
carry bag a bit flimsy

Fantastic

We have had ours for a couple of about six years, we are really happy with it. It is So easy to erect, it can even be erected by one person. We have never ever been wet or cold and we have been through some terrible storms. Will definitely get another when this needs to be replaced.
Easy to erect, warm, dry.
Where can I get a replacement carry bag?

Good little tent

I have had this tent for many years now and used it all around Australia. Its never leaked once even when using it during heavy rains that caused devastating floods in NSW a few years ago. The canvas is very thick far thicker then any of my other dad's canvas tents. It stands up to strong winds with no issues. One thing with the centre pole i found it slipped a lot with the weight of the heavy canvas and roof frame so i drilled a hole straight thru and put a bolt in it - never slipped again.
Very quick to put up especially if not windy roll it out, unzip the front/fly, put the bolt in centre pole walk it in and push it upright and bam your done.

Due to the heavy thick canvas and window design in extremely hot weather and high humidity (in Noosa for example) condensation can build at the top of the tent.
A little trick is you can peg out the side window awnings say 5 inches up to allow more air which is very cool way to keep the tent aerated but still have privacy.
Keep that front awning down when its raining if you don't water will pool on your roof.
I also stuff a sock in the power inlet to stop ants and things like that getting into the tent.

This is a fantastic little tent if you:
1. Condition it properly by watering it down
2. Learn all the little tricks to use it properly e.g. see above

Happy with this little tent and taking it down to Tassie soon again can't wait best $350 i ever spent!
Thick canvas, easy and quick to erect, great windows for privacy, breathability
Centre pole clamp doesn't hold weight easily fixed, front awning needs to be taken down when raining not a huge big deal

UPDATE this tent is still going strong and ive had since 2009 now unfortunately we accidently pitched it on some broken glass in Tassie and it has had 3 small holes in floor which let in some water in heavy rain. I repaired them with seam grip and its back to being a great tent again! This tent is now like $650!! Canvas tents last an amazing long time, my parents still have the 8 sleeper we used 28 years ago!

Stood up to wind and heavy rain very well

Oztrail were kind enough to replace a pacific cross tent i had purchased that suffered pole snapping every time the wind blew down on the south coast of victoria over the hot summer. They recommended this tent and i can now vouch that this tent stood up to wind and very heavy rain well - over the easter break and in the same place. Thankyou oztrail.

I think that the previous reviewer may not have prepared his tent before first use.,,..a new canvas tent needs to be erected and hosed down and dried several times to allow the expansion of the canvas around the seams to ensure the water proofing. The rain bucketed down all night here and there were no problems whatsoever with water leakage in this tent.

The quality of the tent is without dispute - very good canvas, solid zips and thoughtful design. It must be noted that the walls slope inwards so that the space inside is reduced substantially when you place a table or other things in there - they have to come in closer to the centre than on the edge of the floor.

It takes a lot of muscle to get it up the first time as the rectangle of poles has to be threaded through the roof to form the frame for the ceiling. However, once placed, it can stay there and be packed away still in place allowing a quick erection and pulling down. Wonderful - it would be great for travelling round spending a night only here and there. I think it is probably better than the pop up tents - is just as quick and easy to get up but much easier to put down.

The awning is problematic in the rain as the water runs down the awning to the tent roof - wrong slope - but no trouble, it just has to be taken down in rain. However, this does cause difficulties trying to shut yourself into the tent. I think that the door on the other side might be easier to be used (but we had already set a table up there) as it is nigh impossible to secure the large awning down and lock yourself into the tent - it would also be difficult with the smaller awning....so not sure what to do about that. You can only zip both doorways up on the outside when you need to be able to zip it up on the inside. I will be asking oztrail about this as there might be some other system that i cannot work out.

Overall an awesome tent that has already proven its ability to withstand heavy rains and winds.
Ease of erection and quality
Doing up the awnings when you are inside the tent

Hopeless in heavy rain

This is a good tent if it doesn't rain - but when it does, wind can drive the rain under the window flaps, and water can come through the roof too. I ended up throwing it away after waking up inside the tent with water pouring down. It must have failed at the seams. The tent had been well looked after and it had been showering for several days before disaster struck. So if it can leak like that - I reckon it's a dud
Quick and easy to erect.
Not good in wet conditions. Leaked.

Have to agree on leaking. Despite all care and attention before use, mildew. Yes dry etc. used once, love the tent but too much stuffing about and now too nervous to use it so I turfed it.

Where can I get replacement parts for an OZtrail 420 fast frame tent? I need to replace one of the tents legs.
Support, Spare Parts, Warranty, Owners Manuals - Oztrail www.oztrail.com.au/support Support, Spare Parts, Warranty, Owners Manuals: At OZtrail, we put a lot of time, effort & thought into designing our products for Aussie campers & conditions. Spare Parts - Tentworld https://www.tentworld.com.au/spare-parts/ 318 Products - Spare Parts - Spare Parts - Missing something or after some spares for your fridge, gazebo, swag or tent? ... a range of spare parts across our great brands including Blackwolf, CampEzi, Coleman, Companion, Engel, Outdoor Connection, Oztent, OZtrail and Waeco! ... Blackwolf Adventure Tent Pole Repair Kit. ‎Tent Spare Parts · ‎Swag Spare Parts · ‎Fridge Spare Parts · ‎Gazebo Spare Parts

how much room does the oztrail tourer 10 plus take up?
400L x 305W x 210H cm (centre of roof near pole) when put up. or pack size (depending on how you pack it - i'm a little bit pedantic & it's got to be right)

Could you tell me the floor measurements of the tent?
I can't remember! - haven't used tents for 12 months - about to set them up for Easter - the important thing about the floor measurements though Is that you can't stand upright at either end due to the slope of roof - it doesn't seem to matter as you usual have the beds at the end or a table - the tent can easily accommodate two queen mattresses on either side of the middle pole with some in between room.The Oztrail tent I had ended up in the bin because after several days in the rain it started leaking badly from the roof in the middle of the night. Wind driven rail also can get in at the bottom of the windows flaps because there is no tension on them when closed. The Oztrail was great when it didn't rain though. I now have a Black Wolf Turbo lite FS 3 (3m x 3m) which doesn't leak, has cloth panels which can zip up to make sides (gussets) in the window flaps so you can have ventilation even if its raining, and has a part fly which helps to keep it cooler when its sunny . I live in FNQ so all that's important. The Black Wolf is twice the price of the Oztrail but in my opinion, worth every cent. Go to a store and check them out erected and compare. Happy camping anyway.

Tourer 9Tourer 10 PlusTourer 9 PlusTourer TwinTourer Extra Swift