3OZtrail Tourer

4.3

LTCOL
LTCOLCentral Queensland, QLD2 posts

Not perfect but utilitarian

We have has ours for three years purchased to suit some outback and 4x4 travel involving quick set up /packup stops. So far it has survived the Cape (3 weeks) and the Simpson ( 3 weeks ) plus an assortment of short runs of 2 -3 day overnighters.
Roof issue sorted by the optional 2 side pole and arched roof bow set up . Handled light showers well keeping us dry on the Cape and warm in the desert. Bow frame great for hanging battery light / fan as needed.
We carry a lightweight tarp style cover that is quick to cover up tent if rain imminent. Good pegs are essential , type dependent on ground type for grip! Side pockets handy for glasses torch etc.
Packup simple and only other change we made and suggest is a more sturdy bag to pack into. Show details
Dave
DaveSouth East Queensland, QLD3 posts
  Tourer

Leaks like a waterfall

Tent just 2 yrs old, used by one occupant of and on for just 33 nights. On last night after 2 hrs light rain floor was flooded. Not at all waterproof Show details
chimosh
chimosh

Terrible

Perfectly fine in nice weather.

Leaks at roof in wet and humid weather.

Forget this tent in the wind the pole does not support the roof. Resulting in it colopasing while your inside. In windy conditions you will be spending the entire night either with the tent colopased or standing there trying to hold the pole.

Even purchasing a better generic pole from camping store did not work.

goldseeker1961
goldseeker1961South-Eastern Region, NSW
  Verified 9
  • +2Thumbnail
Phoebe S
Phoebe SSouth East Queensland, QLD4 posts
  Verified Tourer

Failed on the second use!

We purchased this tent from Tentworld in March 2019. It was a fantastic tent first use, goes up easily with in a few minutes.
On the second use, one of the pins holding the corner poles together snapped when erecting the tent (at 5pm on a Friday with 3 nights stay ahead). We were able to fix temporarily but didn't have faith that the tent would withstand three nights away.
We contacted Tentworld and were advised that it would not be covered under warranty as it only covers product defaults i.e stitching. So I guess it's poorly made with inferior materials. We followed all instructions and watched the video before the first use.
Very disappointing that a $450 tent only lasted one use!! Show details
Gandalf
Gandalf
  10 Plus

Great value

For a relatively cheap tent this has been great. We used this it for 6 years, and it held up well to being jumped on by toddlers, fallen on by drunkards, heavy rain, crazy wind, dusty festivals, hot cold, you name it. Fantastic for overnighters as its easy to set up, but comes into its own for longer trips and week long events. We got this so we would be able to have a porta cot in it while we travelled the east coast, and it was great for that. In the end the zips all went otherwise I'd still be using it. Just ordered a new one, this time without the back extension as the kids are now (thank god!) in one of their own.

Michael
Michael17 posts
  10 Plus

Comfortable good option

Quite light and easy to transport. Provided adequate protection from the elements. Good value for the price will be the perfect companion for a few days in the great outdoors. Only slight issue is material could be sturdier to hold up in windy conditions but overall definitely recommended for camping trips

Bushy5 posts

An expensive purchase

i used this tent quite alot. I followed the instructions on how to condition the Material but still it leaked after heavy downpour and storm. After cleaning and drying it out i used it again and it leaked after another downpour. This time i had to wait until the rain stopped to dry it out but noticed something was a little smelly. My camp matteress had gotten wet and mould appeared under the matteress and around the joints on the floor of the tent. I took both back to where i purchased them at BCF and they were happy to replace them under warranty however after a short time again out camping the same thing happened to the tent. It leaked and leaked so i threw it away after conditioning this one too.

Binnzi
BinnziLaunceston, TAS3 posts

Great tent quick set up

Have owned this tent for 7 years great tent in all conditions, from beach camping to high country winter camping.

Rain, wind snow and sun shine. room for 2 people to camp for weeks at a time.

Spanner
SpannerGosford4 posts

Fantastic Tent

We have owned many tents from dome tents to 2 room canvas tents. This is by far the best for a 3 day weekend for a family of four. It doesn't leak. It survives wild wind and storms. It sets up in less than 10 minutes. You can stand up inside it. We have owned ours for well over 8 years and its as good as new.

The only thing to be aware of is its size when packed down. Its not the smallest or the lightest but its certainly durable and sturdy..

Daz
Daz

Pole broke on second use

Great tent. Have not used in the rain yet, but on only the second use, the wing nut on the pole snapped. Same happened on our other, more expensive tent, but, as it has a hole throught the roof, we just use a extendable tent pole. This one hasn't. It has a rubber stopper top and bottom, so we will have to buy a replacement pole.

Igor Rosic
Igor RosicSydney4 posts

Spacious and simple design Tent

I bought this tent from BCF for $300.

I have taken it out only once with no issues. It is very easy to set up and I find it very spacious as I am used to the small dome (crawl in) type of tents so this one is a nice change.

I have heard some stories that the canvas leaks and that it should be 'watered' a couple of times before heading out which i did. There is also some kind of inexpensive fluid that can be sprayed over the canvas to further facilitate the water resistant properties.

I have still not had it in any major rainstorms so i cannot verify its water resisting abilities but so far, the tent is a-OK.

I am giving it 4/5 stars purely because of the lack of use in the rain.

Yvonne W
Yvonne WEden, New South Wales
  Extra Swift

I love this tent! Easy to erect and dismantle for 1 person

I used my tent last April travelling from Eden to Cairns and back, it is totally waterproof, plenty of space and head room. I hosed it as per instructions, no water came inside ever. I even weathered some torrential rain preceding the cyclone which chased me down the coast on the way home. Plenty of space for beds, tables etc. Also electrical cord flaps and hooks for lights were really handy. I was 66 years old at the time and found the 10.5kg weight not a problem to carry. Love it

Rex G
Rex GBrisbane
  9 Plus

Top Tent

If the front door is opened during rain water comes in. Solved this problem by putting front part of the tent under a 3x3 metre pergola which covers the front third of the tent and leaves 1.5 metres of shelter in front of the tent as well. Perfect travelling tent.

GarryC