5Phil & Teds Traveller

72% · 5115 · 21%

Ease of Assembly
Safety
Compact and lightweight
Easy to put child in cot
Straightforward to set up
Not as durable as expected
Can be tipped over by active kids

Matthew
MatthewNorth Queensland, QLD5 posts

Poor quality product with no after sale support

Cot arrived and we went to set it up, comes in about 16 pieces and little to no instructions. Not to worry well will go online and watch the video. Video differs differs from the product delivered.l but struggled through it and got it setup. Mattress is permanently deformed as a c shape and a suffocation hazard to the child and product is very unstable. Have reached out to Phil and teds but customer service don’t offer any help, just imply it’s not their problem and not their baby. Would avoid this brand, don’t even have a contact number to call for issues. Very disappointed that’s a product that’s about $50 in parts retails for $450 and has no after sale support and company won’t follow their own policy, email is just copy paste response Show details
Belinda
BelindaCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Best baby purchase!

We purchased this cot second hand when my son was 6 months old. He is now almost 4 and has slept in it every night - all around the world and now in our own home: we can't get him out of it. I purchased another second hand one for my daughter who is almost two. Being more settled we have it setup within a regular cot with one side removed (tied to the other side to prevent her pushing it over). They are so totally cosy and also bug proof. Dummies don't fall out and they're just so much softer and nicer than a wooden cot. I wish they made them in adult size!! Show details
LeahDarling Downs, QLD25 posts

Great Portacot

We love the Phil & Teds Traveller Portacot. It is easy to put together, light to both carry and move around and is good quality. We chose to add a medium density foam mattress as we found the air filled mattress is came with was a little cold for our baby during colder months and didn't feel overly comfortable. Show details
ZJS
ZJSGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC3 posts

Absolutely love this product

I absolutely love this product, it's so versatile. It's super easy and quick to set up, its very light to cary and small to pack in your car. Great for camping trips or for over night stays. I love how the side wall zips down, makes it easy to feed during the night whilst camping. Show details
Erika K.
Erika K.Perth, WA

Worst cot

Save your money. I had this happened to me. Only used it a handful of times. I had to go buy a different cot. Different brand. Bad customer service. I gave up in the end. Will not recommend their products at all. Plus the cot is not easy to put up.
garth k.
garth k.7 posts

9-month-old can easily tip over

We purchased the travel cot in December when our baby was less than 4 months old and it was great. We liked having the option to zip down the side to save our backs for settling the baby. The cot is fantastically lightweight and compact for travel. However on a trip last week our now 9-month old tipped over the cot several times during naps and hit his head. We had to wedge the cot between the wall and bed to make sure he couldn't do it again. I will have to purchase another portacot going forward. Very disappointed that this is even possible. Show details
Aff
AffGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC12 posts

We love it. Have taken it all over the world!

We have had our portacot for 2.5 years and it’s the best item we have bought. We travel a lot and for our baby to always sleep in a familiar place has been great, no matter where we travel in the world she knows it’s her bed. We either carry on, check it in or pop in our suitcase. It is light and easy to fit in, and not too fiddly to build. After you get used to building it, it only takes about 3-5 minutes. Not sure how it would go with a heavy child but our child stayed in it until 13 kgs without issue. For the weight alone I think it was a great investment. Show details
Melissa
MelissaPerth, WA4 posts

Great portacot!

Easy to use, quick to put together, light weight and perfect travel companion. At first I thought the mattress was too thin, but my bub is very comfy when she sleeps in it. I cant complain, it is the perfect portacot and I prefer it over most other brands. Also easy to store because it is so compact

k9trainer
k9trainer6 posts

Awesome Travel Cot

We used this portacot for both our girls from 4 months to 2.5 years. It was awesome. So much better than the big bulky portacots - we flew with it, camped with it, stayed at friends and in motels. It fit everywhere and the kids slept well in it. The inflatable mattress is quite thin, but it's firm enough and kids don't weigh much so I guess they don't notice!

You can also lift it/slide it from room to room which is great when they are little and you want to keep an eye on them in new places. After the first couple of times we found it very quick and easy to set up. One of our favourite pieces of baby equipment and well worth the outlay.

Hayley
HayleyMetropolitan Adelaide, SA4 posts

Matt K
Matt KSydney7 posts

Bel
BelBrisbane5 posts

This cot doesn’t comply with safety standards

I have recently found out from Kidsafe Qld that this cot doesn’t comply with safety standards because of the self inflating mattress which curls up at the sides and is a danger plus the zips which the baby could open and get their head stuck in. I bought one of these from baby bunting and am alarmed to find out that they sell products that aren’t even safe for children or that Phil and teds could make a product that isn’t safe!

Whine lover
Whine loverSydney, NSW9 posts

Excellent portacot

Very light and portable. Does not take up much space. Initially purchased it to take camping but saw more use staying in hotels and with friends and relos.

To be critical it can be difficult to put up/take down but if you use regularly you get used to it. We always had a soft matt or additional padding underneath as the air matress was a insufficient when on hard floors. A shagpile rug or a few hotel towels was usually enough. However that would take up too much space and no longer be portable etc. Getting in amd out from the top is a killer in your back so use the side net. Wish zipper was quieter for resetting. I know I've listed a few negatives but it is good for what it is and how much we used it.

MajorH
MajorH9 posts

Glad I bought it

We bought this for our 2.5 year old to sleep in on a recent holiday and were very pleased with how well he slept and fitted in it.

It was quick and easy to put together and pull apart (you don't PUSH the buttons in to disassemble, simply hold the frame and pull the legs off and they come off without too much effort).

My only niggle with it is that attaching the mattress to the clips in each corner is very fiddly, so I've knocked a star off for that, but this cot is otherwise excellent.

LovePT2 posts

Great frame but terrible mattress and service

We received this bed with an already dubious mattress. Unfortunately on holiday we realised it was losing air during the night. So far the company is yet to offer a replacement saying there is nothing wrong with it. I am familiar with these type of mattresses and never had an issue in the past. It has been a nightmare getting decent service.

I really regret getting this expensive bed. Great idea but of little use when the already thin mattress holds no air and your infant ends up spending the night sleeping on the hard floor.

Robyn B.
Robyn B.

Does it need a mattress inside?

Leah

It comes with a self-inflating air mattress. We personally found it quite cold so we chose to swap for a medium density custom cut foam mattress and bub slept much better. If you lived in a warm climate, the original mattress would probably be fine

Mabi
Mabi

One of the legs broke, is it possible to find a replacement? (Im in perth)

Chichineni
Chichineni

Hi I just bought the latest version of traveller cot (version 4) and was wondering why it is so much shorter than the previous version (I think the sleep area is over 30cm shorter) - also why my cot doesn't have those infamous clips that secure the mattress to the cot base - are they not necessary - or is my cot less safe without them?

See all Phil & Teds Traveller questions

Features:

• The Phil & Teds traveller™ travel cot is adaptable for both indoor and outdoor use, so you can use it for sleep and play wherever you go - it’s a staple for nights away as well as picnics.
  • A zipped side lets you put your child in and out without having to bend over each time, and also lets it double as an opened up playpen or as a closed sleeping space.
  • Breathable mesh sides and global safety certification gives you peace of mind while your child snoozes.
  • Your little one can be comfortable in this cot, as it has a thermally insulated mattress and a fitted sheet made from OEKO-certified fabric that’s free from hazardous substances.
  • Phil & Teds markets this cot as being able to be assembled in under 2 minutes.
  • You also have the option of purchasing a mesh top accessory for outdoor excursions to keep your baby shaded and keep mosquitoes and other insects away.

Points of praise:

• Most reviewers said that the portacot was lightweight and compact, and easily packed away for storage, in the car, or with other luggage.
  • They also appreciated how easy it was to get their baby in and out of the cot - this was mostly because of the convenient side zip.
  • According to reviewers, this cot was quick and simple to set up.

Pain points:

• Some reviewers noted that the cot wasn’t as durable as they expected it to be, saying that some parts - such as the elastic connecting the pipes and the zipper cords - broke or frayed from strain rather quickly.
  • A few reviewers also said that their active, young children were sometimes able to tip the cot over. This means it may not be suitable for use as a playpen by all children or for children who move a lot in their sleep.

Points to consider:

• The cot is advertised as being able to be assembled in under 2 minutes, however many reviewers - even those who found the set up to be simple - found that it usually took a few minutes longer than this.
  • A few reviewers also had trouble with disassembling the portacot. As some reviewers stated, you need to hold the frame and pull the legs off - you don’t need to push the buttons.