Philips Avent Digital Bath and Bedroom SCH550/20

Philips Avent Digital Bath and Bedroom SCH550/20

Very useful

This thermometer is excellent for the bath and room temperature. We take it everywhere we go travelling! So handy and great piece of mind when you're not sure what the bath temperature is.

Purchased in October 2018 at Local Pharmacy for $34.99.

Lasted 10 years

We purchased ours in 2008! I'd do adds for this device. We didn't use it in the bath, just used in our child's bedroom.Has only just died (2018).Replaced the battery in October 2018 but unfortunately the display just says 00.0°c. We were VERY happy with all our Advent products and feel that we got more than we expected. We had the bottles, bottle warmer, thermometer and also the food storage cups which could be frozen then warmed by the bottle warmer. Love your products .

Hi there, How nice of you to share this here. We're happy our products have been a valuable help for you and your family. :) We wish you all the best, and take care! Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Prevents many an argument

With our first baby, husband and I would argue about the water temperature. The 'fish' thermometer we had was too inaccurate. We LOVE this one. At the correct temperature, our baby just entered blissful bath-state and we loved it!

I haven't had the clouding issue that I have seen in other reviews. The battery lasted us about 1.5 years, before running out. The battery is replaceable, but I haven't got around to doing so yet.

It does take a good 20 seconds immersed to give you an accurate reading, which FEELS like ages, but really isn't.

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the thermometer here with us. We're grateful to hear the thermometer has been a valuable tool for you. :) All the best to you and your little one(s) and take care! Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Pretty as a flower

Such a fantastic little bath buddy, going on 2 years strong. We just get water at correct temp then we pull it out of bath - easy as that. Life saver for sure and has been my go to baby shower giftb for friends and family. They all love it.

Third one and third malfunction

Thermometer is great until the screen clouds over and is unreadable. The first one lasted 4 yrs. we purchased another, only for it to cloud over in 3 months. Finally replaced under warranty (Phillips VERY unhelpful, baby bunting only slightly better) for the replacement to cloud over too. Could do without the ongoing hassle!

Hi there, Sally. Thank you for sharing the issue you've had with this product. We are pleased to hear that the thermometer got replaced since it should not stop working after three months. However, we are curious to know why you think we are very unhelpful? That is not clear to us. Please feel free to share it here or on Facebook or Twitter. We are online on these social media platforms 24/7! Kind regards, The Philips Australia TeamSure, when I phoned to enquire about the replacement I queried why I should pay for postage to send to you and then go without the themometer for a month when it's a fault with the product causing the problem. I was told to put my hand in the water to feel the temperature, that I don't need a thermometer to tell me if it's too hot. Wow! The purpose of the product is to ensure the water is a safe temperature, hence why I bought it. Eventually after a lot of negotiating with Baby Bunting they replaced it on your behalf. That was five months ago. Sadly to say, the replacement thermometer has clouded over in the past week and the digits can no longer be seen. I'll be buying a different brand as we need a thermometer that will last more than three and five months respectively.We regret hearing that, Sally, and we understand that it's not the best experience possible. Please know that you can always reach out to our product specialists on 1300 363 391. They're always willing to see if there's anything that can be done about your issue. If you don't feel like calling, it's possible to reach out to us on Facebook or Twitter (@PhilipsCare) as well. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Completely unreliable

Between July 2015 and March 2017 I purchased and returned FIVE of these thermometers. The product has a 2-year warranty period. They failed in various ways; some of them went flat and the battery compartment had rusted, some lost their LCD display, or the display got scrambled, one of them was telling me it was about -7 Celsius at room temperature. One of them lasted nearly half the warranty period. The last one lasted a month.
Note also, the manual states that once the batteries require changing, the thermometer is not guaranteed to be waterproof. It's supposed to be a bath thermometer!
This product is not worth the trouble. I only persevered for so long because my child has eczema and I needed a safe digital thermometer for the bath. It seemed to be the only option in most shops.
When I returned the product, Baby Bunting in Bentleigh would insist on calling Phillips and make me wait while they deliberated for about half an hour. Each time Phillips would reiterate that they would not keep replacing beyond the two-year anniversary of my original purchase date; that was all they were interested in. Never mind all the trouble I had to go to to return the thing each time!
Just be aware; if a product has a major failure, you are entitled to repair, replacement or refund at your option. If you do want a replacement when dealing with Phillips Avent, I suggest you opt for a refund anyway, then purchase a replacement separately so Phillips cannot try to back-date the warranty to the original purchase date.

Hi there, We're sad to see you've been having this much bad luck with the bath thermometer, but thank you very much for taking the time to write out your experience. Of course, the thermometers are designed to make your life easier, so we sorry to see that it's been causing so much trouble. You mentioned that the last one lasted only a month, have you contacted us about this earlier? Please do, you can reach our colleagues on 1300 363 391(AU), or 0800 658 224 (NZ). In any case, thanks again for sharing your story here with us, even though we regret that the thermometer has not been living up to our standards, we're always glad to receive feedback so we can keep improving the product. Kind regards, The Philips Australia TeamYes, I emailed you and Baby Bunting on 24th April. Michele sent me a stock standard email telling me I would have to take it back to BB, which is a 30km round trip for me. I had complained in my email that BB was consistently really difficult. I was hoping you would show some good faith given my atrocious experience and just give me a refund, but no, still had to return the item to BB at my expense, yet again. Fab service, thanks for that! Why don't you stop wasting people's time and withdraw this substandard product from the market or fix the quality issues? People have been posting complaints for years.

Was awesome - now cloudy screen and no numbers

This worked awesome for 11 months or so then my daughter hid it for sometime we found it under the change table and it had gone all cloudy and no numbers are coming up anymore it's really disappointing as we've moved to a new house so I want to check the temp in her room and I can't!

Hi Abbey, Thanks for your review. We're sorry that you're not able to use your Digital Bath and Bedroom anymore. That's very unfortunate. Please reach out to our product specialists on 1300 363 391 if you're located in Australia or 0800 658 224 when located in New Zealand. They are more than willing to see if they can help you with this. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Did Not give an accurate Temperature reading

The product worked very well for the first 5 months and the baby enjoyed playing with it. We also found it useful because it read the room temperature too. However recently we have noticed that the readings were not as accurate, the temperature would read 35 degrees but when checked with another thermometer it read 40.8 degrees I was fortunate we checked before putting the baby in.

Hi there, We’re sorry to hear that the thermometer hasn’t been giving the accurate readings as expected. Thanks for letting us know. If you’re in Australia, you could call us on 1300 363 391 for us to see how we could help. If you’re in New Zealand, please reach out to us on 0800 658 224. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Worked well for a little over a year only

Worked well for a year only. I liked that it was for both bath and room temperature - seriously considered buying another so we could keep one in bathroom and one in baby's room. I'm glad I didn't end up buying another as it started to become foggy/cloudy from the bath water and now does not work.
Won't be getting another for this Bub. Disappointing product!!

Hi Lesley, Thank you for your review. We're happy to hear the unit worked well, but it's a pity to hear that it is malfunctioning now. Would you please call us at 1300 363 391, so we can see if we can help you out? Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Disappointed

I had this bath thermometer for my last baby 4 years ago and loved it. After 4 years it was old so i purchased a nice pink one for my new baby. Only worked for 3 baths and the display has condensation and faded numbers i can't even read. Totally annoyed as it was $35.

Hi there Cheryl, thank you for your feedback. We can imagine this is not what you expected, our team would like to get in touch with you to see how they can help out. Would you mind reaching out to them through 1300 363 391 for Australia or 0800 658 224 for New Zealand? Kind regards, The Philips Australia team.Thank you for my replacement And my replacement one has stopped working

Has only worked for few months

This is the second thermometer I have bought of the same kind. Only worked for several months and the display has condensation and faded numbers. Very disappointing, considering it retails for $35. I purchased both from baby bunting but have no proof of purchase, what are my options firxa replacement?

Hi Jojos, Thank you for writing us about this. It's unfortunate to hear that this happened to the display of your SCH550/20. We do generally require the proof of purchase in order to provide warranty. But our team will be happy to look into what we could do for you at this point. You could call us on 1300 363 391 if you're located in Australia. Otherwise please find us through: http://philips.com/support/ or on social media. We'd like to help. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Great product for piece of mind.

Knowing that we have always got the bath temperature right has given us piece of mind and we are really happy with the avent bath/room thermometer. We are onto our second one. The first did eventually run out of battery after over a year of continuous use. We changed the battery but didn't add silicon grease to help with waterproofing so it did become compromised and began to condensate until it was unreadable. We loved it so much and felt it did give us value for money that we have purchased a second one.

Hello rjovo, We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us here! We can learn a lot from our customers feedback. Glad that you like to thermometer. Do let us know if any issues occur. We might be able to help out.

Stopped working, poor customer service

The thermometer was used daily until it stopped working, the numbers faded, then blacked out.

Spoke to Avent telephone customer service who advised to send it in. After posting it in, got a phone call from an unhelpful customer service rep who said the thermometer was received, had testing done and found nothing wrong with it.

How convenient to have the Avent thermometer stop working for a few days only to be working again when sent in after wasting time and money to do so. So looks like I'll be getting sent back the same thermometer that stopped working but there was no confirmation of that either from the rep.

God knows when it'll stop working again. Disappointed with Avent customer service.

Hello there, Thank you for reaching out to us. We're sorry to hear your AVENT Digital Bath and Bedroom thermometer wasn't working properly. When you receive the device back from our repair centre and it is malfunctioning again, please let us know. Our goal is to develop products that are useful for you and your baby. You can also reach us via Facebook and Twitter @PhilipsCare, where we are available 24/7. Thank you. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team.Why aren't I getting a new replacement? I'm not happy about receiving the same thermometer that i sent in because it wasn't working. It is a waste of my time if I receive the same one again and the same problems occur a few days later. This is what I mean by poor customer service. Thanks.Hi A.D, Thank you for your message once again. We're sorry to hear this was the conclusion from our team upon inspection. There isn't much we could do for you on here, but if you'd like to discuss this matter further we'd recommend getting in touch with us through one of the aforementioned channels. We understand that might not be the answer you were hoping for right here and we're sorry that we aren't able to do more for you right here, but if you contact us by telephone or on social media we'd be glad to take another look at this. Hope to talk to you soon. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Lasted less than 5 months

Great concept but unfortunately my thermometer has lasted less than 5 months of use. Used regularly in the bath, the display has faded to nothing and there's condensation inside. Not exactly ideal for a bath thermometer to not be water proof??? So disappointed in what I had thought was a good product

Hey Emma, thank you for coming to us with your problem. Since this sounds like a warranty related issue, we kindly ask you to contact our support team. Please call 1300 363 391 and our team will be happy to assist you further. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

My Husband Can't Bathe The Baby Without This!

There's cheaper bath thermometers than this one but we love it. It's accurate, reliable and nice and soft for the baby and looks good just sitting on the shelf. The only disadvantage that I can think of is that it sometimes turns upside down in the water so you can't see the temperature.

Hi Donna. Thank you for you review, good to see you are satisfied :). Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team.

Excellent before condensation set in!

We bought this for our new babies room and to use in the bath (I liked that it could be used for both). Fantastic at the start, very accurate & a good size, however after 4 months can no longer use due to the temp being illegible due to condensation.

Hi Nicole, Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to hear condensation is preventing you from using the device, we'd like to look into this for you. Could you kindly reach out to us via 1300 363 391? Kind regards, The Philips Australia TeamThank you. I rang and spoke to Debbie who was very helpful. The issue is the seal. Advised I can return it to where I purchased it from with proof of purchase to receive a new one. Should I have any issues I can contact them again. Great service. Off to Baby Bunting I go!Made a visit to baby bunting and they exchanged the product with no issue what so ever. Great outcome.

Condensation makes it difficult to read display

We use the thermometer in the bath daily and like the fact that you can have your hands free while the thermometer is floating in the bath. The thermometer worked well initially. However, after only 3 months, the condensation has built up so much that it is difficult to read the display.

Hello, that doesn't sound very good. We'd like to see what we can do to help you. Would you be able to reach out to us via 1300 363 391? Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team.Thanks Philips Australia. I was able to swap the thermometer for a brand new one at the shop today.Good to hear that! If you ever need assistance again, don't hesitate to contact us on Facebook or Twitter, or on product review again :) Enjoy your day!

Can't read te temperature

We used this product in the bath and ever since there has been condensation inside the display and it is very hard to read the temperature.

Hello, thank you for writing your review. We would like to discuss further to see what we can do for you. Could you please call us at 1300 363 391(AU) or 0800 658 224 (NZ)? Kind regards, the Philips Australia team.

Works as it should

I saw this at toys r us and initially decided not to purchase this to save money. However my husband and I kept disagreeing over the bath water temperature so a week later I went back and purchased this.

No more disagreement, the temperature is always perfect and our baby boy has stopped crying when take him out of the bath.

A little pricey as you can get a rubber duck that does the same for a fraction of the cost (but it only reads bath water temperature) which in retrospect is all we need because I already have a room thermometer.
It is a pretty design so for those who needs a room and bath thermometer this is perfect.

Lovely to hear that, Jenny. Thanks for this feedback and enjoy your little one :-)

love it so much

i have this product since my little one born, and now she's 2 years old. it's really good i use it for bath, room temp and i bring it with me when i travel with my little one too . and its not very expensive , i bought it when it was on sale .

Hi bellamama, Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to read that you are enjoying your Philips Avent Digital Bath and Bedroom. It is serving you well. Kind Regards The Philips Australia Team.

After two years use the battery has died. Is there anyway of changing it? Minus the mold its been very useful!
There is. You can download the user guide from the Philips website for the instructions which includes the battery type required. We did it but didn't add grease to improve the waterproofing so after changing the battery water starting condensing over the display until it became unreadable - so I'd recommend following that step. We were otherwise really happy with the product so we ended up buying a replacement.Hi there! To add to the comment of Rjovo, you can find the instruction for replacing the battery here: https://www.download.p4c.philips.com/files/s/sch550_20/sch550_20_dfu_nld.pdf. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you. Kind regards, the Philips Australia team.Brilliant. thanks

Hi! I've recently purchased this thermometer and with my baby due in 2 weeks wanted to get a gauge for the temperature of our bedroom but find myself struggling to turn on - screen is currently blank, does it not come with batteries or am I being really stupid? Help appreciated :-)
Hi. The thermometer should come already working. I would return it to where you bought it from, as I read that it's quite difficult to replace the battery. Hope this helps.Hello, yes, the screen should be on and working. Take back to where you bought it or call Phillips Avent directly. Phillips will ask you for proof of purchase, I think it should work for approx 2yrs so they want to check you haven't had it that long!

Can you get a laser thermometer for the babies head?
Hello Sue, this is not a thermometer for taking a child's temperature.The Phillips thermometer mentioned above is only suitable to measure bath and room temperature. There are other thermometers on the market which can measure body temperature, room temperature and surface temperatureHi Sue, thanks for your question. We strongly advise you not to use the thermometer to measure the temperature of your baby, since the SCH550 is made to measure the temperature of a room and water. Please feel free to contact us at 1300 363 391 (if you are in Australia), regarding any other queries about this product. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team