MPN: HP8372-00

Beauty is only skin deep

This is the first Philips hair straightener I have ever purchased, as a set with the Moisture Protect hair dryer. This would also be the most I have paid for a hair straightener in my life.

It is a beautiful device, pearly white with rose gold accents. Along the sides are the controls, power button, the moisture protect mode button, and those to adjust temperature. There are supposed to be sensors inside the ceramic plates that helps to deliver that perfect straight hair without dealing much damage to your mane. The length of the cord is 2m, and it has international voltage so you can travel with this straightener and only worry about the plug adaptors.

Sounds like the dream straightener!

Here is a little run down about how I use a hair straightener. I have long, soft, thick and naturally curly hair that takes a while to run through with a straighener every time after a wash, else I would look like a female version of Hagrid. I split my hair into 3 sections horizontally (top, middle and bottom), and about 4-5 sections vertically, and I use a boar hair straightening brush to make sure there is no tangles. Basically I mimic what my hair stylist does when she straightns my hair.

The first thing I noticed with the Moisture Protect straightener was that the plates are very short, about 1/3 of the length of the whole straightener. I am used to longer plates like those on Remingtons or even VS straighteners, so this essentially takes more time to straighten my hair than if it had longer plates. So instead of 20 minutes with my old Remington, it would take up to 30-40 minutes for the Moisture Protect straightener to go through all of my hair. Strike one.

Heating up the straightener was a quick affair, having heard from my stylist, unless you have coarse hair, the maximum temperature to set your straightener is 180 degrees. But on this straightener it has three settings of 200 - 175 - 150 Celsius. No higher than 180, okey dokey... so I went for 175, Moisture Protect on. (The water drop light comes on in the display). It has charged ionic technology so it is normal for it to make a slight buzzing sound. When it was ready (your selected temperature reading will stop flashing) I went and straightned my hair as I usually do, then a few minutes later I noticed that the straightener is feeling extra hot and from the reflection in the mirror that the temperature is now 200 degrees. I assessed where my fingers went while using the straightener and realised it rests on the + button. This doesn't happen on my old straighteners because the Moisture Protect straightener is a lot chunkier than my old Remington, I have small hands so the place where my fingers grip the device was somewhere else. Alright then, let's turn the thing upside down so I don't do that again! This trick seemed to work, I have never accidentally turned up the temperature again by holding this up-side-down, but this shouldn't have been an issue in the first place. Strike two.

Having gone through all of my hair with the Moisture Protect straightener, I was happy about how my style looks. It doesn't produce the pencil straight look like my old Remington but it looks shiny, gives a lot more volume and feels super soft. Then I put in my leave in conditioners, went through my hair with the cool mode with the hair dryer to set the style and went to bed.

I don't sleep on my hair, I always gather it all up with my hands and leave it to spread over the pillow over my head. This usually leave my hair kink free in the morning, and I expected the same thing after using the Moisture Protect straightener. But boy, I woke up to a shock. My hair looked like I went to bed without blow drying my hair. I have only done it once in my life and I swear never again, but I did not! Go! To! Bed! With! Wet! Hair! I spent 40 bloody minutes the previous night going through my hair meticulously with my new Moisture Protect straightener!

The reason why I wash and style my hair at night is so I don't have to get up before dawn to make sure I look presentable enough for work. So that morning after having to spend another 40 minutes to straighten my hair again, I was nearly late.

Strike... Maybe I should give it another chance before declaring Strike Three. So the next night I washed and straightened again before bed, and to my frustration it happened again.

I didn't want to give up, because I paid so much for it, I wanted it to work. So I tried everything, 175 degrees with Moisture Protect mode off, 200 degrees with moisture protect on, 200 degrees, moisture protect off (it burned my hair). Nope, it still did the same thing. It seems to work alright as long as my head does not touch the pillow.

Reluctantly, I called Strike Three on the Moisture Protect straightener, and it has been gathering dust ever since.

In Summary:

Pros
- looks incredibly stylish
- relatively light weight
- flexible swivel cord
- moisture protect sensors for less hair damage
- charged ionic technology to prevent static and smoothes hair cuticles
- auto shut off after 60 minutes

Cons
- short plates
- control button placements
- the girth of the device

Conclusion:

While it produces a style I have never experienced with other hair stylers, I can not get it to last. The results are inconsistent on me, some basic design flaws on this device make it incredibly difficult to use. I love the look of this straightener but it simply did not suit my needs.

Purchased in July 2017 at Myer Online Store for $119.00.

Hair Care
Hair Length Long
Hair Style Wavy
Straightening Time 40 minutes

Hate this straightener so much words can not convey just how much

My husband bought this for me as an anniversary present and from the minute I used it I have hated it but felt sorry for my husband because he put so much thought into the gift. The design is so poorly done that it could only have been designed by a man. Every time I use it the placement of the buttons means it turns off or turns the temp down. If you look at any professional straightener all the buttons are in the middle of the device to avoid this from happening. I cannot believe my husband spent $119 on this piece of garbage but because the 30 days has passed we can’t take it back to get a refund. I should probably lodge a claim with the ACCC to get our money back as this is not fit for purpose. Such a piece of junk.

Purchased in October 2018 at Harvey Norman Electronics Physical Store for $119.00.

Hair Care
Hair Length Short
Hair Style Straight
Straightening Time 45 minutes
Hi there, Laura, We regret hearing you were not satisfied by this product at all. And we can really imagine you felt sorry for your husband. :( Your feedback about the product is really valuable to us though! We'll make sure to forward this to our Beauty department. We'd like to thank you again and we hope that you have found a model that better fits your needs. Wishing you all the best. Kind regards, The Philips Australia team

Doesn’t straighten at all it only leaves the hair frizzy not for curly hair

I bought this production on 13 January 2019 because my 2 yrs silver bullet stopped working, I tried it once and my daughter also tried it once, it doesn’t straighten at all, the heat doesn’t go up although the screen is showing 200 degrees but no way it is? I wanted to return it back to Priceline but the problem they don’t refund used items and I spent 139.9$ on it,I dont know if I contact philips Australia they will refund? I wish I spent this money on another straightener.

Hi Jacklin, Thanks for taking the time to write this review and sorry to read you're not satisfied with the hair straightener. We can imagine being disappointed if it's not giving the desired result. To find out what the issue here exactly is, we kindly ask you to contact our Care Team via 1300 363 391 (available Mon - Fri from 7AM to 7PM). They'll be happy to see if they can help and it's more easy for them to investigate this issue. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Nice product

Absolutely love this thing! So this arrived yesterday and I couldn’t help myself, I had to try the curl first. First attempt, perfect curl! It tells you what temperature you should use for what kind of hair you have so I found the right temp for me very quickly. I’m beyond impressed with this straightener. Highly recommend. The last straightener I had was great but expensive. This one is a great price and better than the last one. So happy I decided to try this one. Curling takes a bit of practice but once you figure it out it’s quick and easy. Leaves my hair super shiny.

Hey there, Thanks for spreading the love! :) How great you've already had a perfect curl at the very first attempt. That's what we like to hear of course. Take care and all the best. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

ok... not for curly hair!

this product is very weak for thick curly hair, as the max temperature is 200° and is heat protectant so it is extremely hard to straighten curly hair as it doesn’t do much. it would protect you hair the same as any stronger straighter as you have to use it that many times to get a strand straight. it would be perfect for straighter hair though :)

Thanks for the review, Maddie. We appreciate the feedback and we're sure others do as well. It won't go unnoticed; we'll make sure to share it with our Beauty department. Once again, thanks for sharing! :) Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Amazing straightener!

I love the result of this hair straightener, it’s easy and very convinient to use. The design is also sleek. It does not snag my hair and has different temperature depending on what type your hair is. It easily heats up to the right temperature and makes your hair shiny and looks healthy. Overall, I recommend this product!

Wish it comes with a gloves though to prevent accidental burns.

Thanks for sharing this amazing review, Lauie! We're very happy to hear that you're pleased with the result of this hair straightener. Also, thanks for the tips on gloves! We'll make sure to pass it on to our product department. :-) Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

LOVE THIS! STAPLE ITEM IN MY HAIR ROUTINE.

Very stoked with the results from this straightener, previously had a cloud 9 and it performs perfect in comparison! Very easy to use, 3 heat settings + moisture protect setting. No hair snags and heats up in minutes. 10/10 recommend, plus the price - so affordable compared to a GHD!

Hi Leana, it's wonderful to hear you're loving the MoistureProtect and are finding it easy to use. Thanks for sharing your experience with us! Kind regards, The Philips Australia team

Looks great, kind to your hair

Perfect for a soft smooth straightening experience, this straightener is easy to use, glides smoothly over your hair and really feels like it is not damaging your hair.
I find it doesnt really do very good curls or waves, (like my other straighteners do), but I am still keeping it as a handy and 'kind' straightener. It really does feel better for you.

Hi Laura, We're glad to hear that the MoistureProtect provides you with that smooth and soft straightening experience. Thanks for sharing your experience (and feedback) here with us. Should you have any questions about the MoistureProtect or another one of our products, let us know. :) We wish you a very nice week. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Good for the price

Does an OK job straightening. Doesn't feel as hot as my old GHD, and results aren't as good.
I bought it mainly for the auto shutoff feature, as I always worry that I've left my straightener on when I leave for work.

The button placement is poorly designed, they sit on the handle right where your hand grips it.
No matter what I do, each time I use the straightener I accidentally change a setting without realising it, which is annoying.

Heats up quickly, and I like that it has a shutoff function.

Hello, thanks for taking your time to write this review and sharing the valuable feedback. If you feel like discussing this further, please call us on: Call us 1300 363 391 Mondays to Saturdays: 7:00 am - 7:00 pm EST Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Good and affordable

Much better than my old straightener as it doesn't snag and heats up nice and quickly. It's by no means a GHD, but it does the job and it doesn't ruin my hair as much as other straighteners do, due to its moisture protect function. Hair isn't as static as well. I use it on the highest temperature of 200 degrees, and only have to go over once - the straight-ness really lasts as well. I create curls with it as well, on the highest temp, and works best without the moisture protect on. Sometimes it creaks a bit and gets warm on the outside, but overall very happy.

Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. We really appreciate it. Great to hear you're getting the most out of your MoistureProtect straightener by using it for both curling and straightening. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Amazing!!!

This is far by best 5 stars doesn't burn your hair leaves your hair so soft I have tried many out there from ghd to vs and seemed to burn my hair but I was amazed how philips didn't burn my hair.

Great to hear, thank you for taking the time to review our product here! Kind regards, the Philips Australia team.

Are the plates solid ceramic or plated?
Interesting question, Emma! :) The parts of the plates that matter are ceramic plated. If you've got any other questions, don't hesitate to contact us on 1300 363 391 (AU) or on 0800 658 224 (NZ). Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Does it keep curly hair.. smooth and silky smooth for long time?
Hello, T.S. Thank you for reaching out to us with your question! Our answer would be: yes, your hair will get smooth and silky for a long time. Let us explain how it works. The MoistureProtect uses some innovative technologies to get the best results for your hair. One of our secrets is the sensor technology. This technology diagnoses your hair and assesses the temperature that can be used to make sure your hair doesn't get dry from the heath. This results in the smooth and silky effect you mentioned. The more constant temperature also makes for a long-lasting, consistent result. Next to this, the floating plates prevent hair damage and breakage, and the charged negative ions make sure your hair won't get static but will get shiny and frizz-free. We hope this answers your question. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1300 363 391. Kind regards, The Philips Australia TeamMy hair is naturally pretty straight so i really wouldnt be sure on the effect on curly hair. I do still recommend giving it a go though. All the best!

CategoryHair Straighteners