PerfectCare perfect finish

This iron is amazing! It heats up in just a couple of minutes and allows you to shoot continuous steam to get through your ironing faster. Initially I did get a smell when I left it on the ironing board but I think it was new iron smell. Now I leave it an the board and there are no signs of scorching. It can be used on anything safe to iron without any temperature changes between fabric types. It’s very gentle and I haven’t had any signs of scorching or damage to any fabric types. Fantastic for fiddly items like baby sized dress shirts, and pressing seams when sewing pieced quilts.

My only grievance is that the water reservoir is difficult to clean if it grows algae. I’d love to be able to open it up to give it a thorough clean.

Clothing Material Cotton, Denim, Silk and Synthetics
Hi there, Thank you for sharing your ironing experience with us here. We're glad to hear the PerfectCare has suited your needs! As for cleaning the iron, it is important to descale your appliance when needed, as to keep it in optimal condition. You can find cleaning instructions below: 1.Unplug and let it cool completely — at least 2 hours. 2.Place the steam generator at the edge of a table or sink. Hold a cup (at least 350 ml) under the EASY DE-CALC knob. 3.Remove the knob. Let the water and scale particles flow out. 4.Put the knob back in place and turn clockwise to tighten. 5.You are now ready to keep ironing! Should you need assistance in the future, feel free to come back to us anytime! Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

So So disapointed

I purchased a new one over the weekend. I had previously purchased a Philips steam iron similar to this style about 9 years or so ago. Obviously over the years its been on the decline and recently I dropped it and a few things broke. So it was time for a new one. I was so excited for the new one but only to find that my old iron still works A LOT better, it is equivalent to any normal iron minus the price tag. I will be returning it for a full refund this weekend. I've lost my trust in Philips iron. I will be looking for another brand to replace my old one.

Purchased in July 2019 at Costco NSW, Marsden Park for $399.00.

Clothing Material Cotton
Hi, May. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. How unfortunate to hear that your new iron hasn't lived up to your experiences. Your old iron is not supposed to do better than your new one. Feel free to contact our support team by one of the following numbers: 1300 363 391 (AU) or 0800 658 224 (NZ). We're sure that they will be happy to assist. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

I love my iron

I love how I don’t have to adjust the temperature on the iron, it’s so easy to clean and the tank is easy to fill. The iron head its self is light so I could iron all day if I didn’t hate ironing, but this iron makes my life easier.

Purchased in April 2017 at Costco SA, Adelaide for $399.00.

Clothing Material Cotton, Denim, Silk and Synthetics
Hi there, thank for sharing your review with us. It's lovely to hear that the iron has been such a great help to you. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy it for a long time! Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Iron Broke - 6 Weeks In For Repair and Still Waiting

Irons well, however it just stopped producing steam, which is very disappointing considering the price of the iron. I took it in for repair as it is under warranty and told it would take 2 to 2.5 weeks to repair. It is now 6 weeks and Phillips repairs are still waiting on a part. At no point have I been contacted to be advised of the delay. Each time I have queried when it will be ready I have been told another 1 to 1.5 weeks. Poor customer service.

Purchased in June 2018 at Harvey Norman for $450.00.

Product is used: Weekly
Clothing Material Cotton
Hi. Thanks for sharing your experience with the PerfectCare Elite, and the aftercare service you've received. It's unfortunate to hear that the PerfectCare stopped working, especially as you were so satisfied with it's performance. We'd like to see if we can do anything for you, so could you reach out to us on Twitter (@PhilipsCare) or Facebook? Thanks in advance. Kinds regards, The Philips Australia Team

Very good results, and easy to use.

You can iron anything without adjusting a single thing (has to be . It's an attractive machine with cord storage, delivers excellent results, no fuss required. You can iron silk in one second and bed sheet in next second, and don't have to worry about burning the material. Very much an idiot-proof design.
I can iron at least 3 times faster than using the traditional steam iron. It's a very good investment for people who is time poor and have nice garments that they don't want to destroy.
Highly recommend this to everyone.

Purchased in December 2018.

Product is used: Weekly

No more scorching, so good

It’s pretty pricey at $431 but oh so good. A standard iron is always scorching clothes or spitting dirty marks on them. This does none of that, just turn it on and the steam does jeans or synthetic shirts with ease. I can’t remember how many shirts i’ve wrecked with my crappy standard iron so this iron actually pays for itself in saved clothes. If you’ve got a cotton shirt that’s extra creased just hit the boost setting and take em out. It has auto cutoff so you’ll never have to worry that you, or your kids, forgot to turn it off.

Date PurchasedApr 2018
Hi there, Laurie. Thanks for taking the time to write your review here. It's great to hear you love your iron so much, especially after making quite an investment. We're happy to hear the iron has been able to meet your expectations. Happy ironing! Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Excellent value steam generator

After my old LauraStar bit the dust I bought the Philips steam generator iron as a replacement because it was about 1/4 the price of the new LauraStar and online reviews were very positive. It's less powerful but lighter in weight so very easy to use. I like that i can see the water in the reservoir. Lots of plastic so not sure about durability, but it seems well crafted.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Hi Lori, thanks so much for sharing your experiences with the PerfectCare. We're delighted to hear you are happy with its performance. :-) Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Perfect for me and very lightweight

I purchased my iron steam station on special and also with 100 dollars cashback from Philips which turned out to be a good buy. I iron a lot of shirts for a family of 4 and needed something that I can rely on and I wanted to move much faster than a traditional iron. This iron glides through fabrics and ironing is a breeze. I am considering purchasing a board as my next step. The water tank capacity is great and also last through a good pile of clothes and does not need constant refilling. The iron itself is also very lightweight and I do not get tired ironing. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good quality ironing station.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Hey there, Thank you for sharing this valuable feedback with us. We appreciate it. We're glad to hear the PerfectCare Elite is so perfect for you. :) Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team.

Take 2

I purchased a Philips PerfectCare Elite Silence iron in October 2017 and within 1 week it showed fault during the descaling process. I returned it to the place of purchase (which immediately replaced it with another one) and the second iron (hence the Take 2 ) has worked perfectly for me ever since. It is used daily for between 1 to 4 hours as I have a local ironing business. I'm very happy with the iron, it is light, effective and can be used a steamer of garments as well. I would highly recommend purchasing the Philips steam iron ironing board as well as the steam produced must have the ability to escape the board or else you'll end up a soggy mess.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Hey there, Thanks so much for leaving your review here. We're charmed to hear we've been able to be a good addition to your business! We strive to make life easier, so it's great to hear this has been your experience. Many thanks for sharing! Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Impressive

First impression I thought it was a bit flimsy. It is very light weight, which took me an hour or so to get used to. It is a different way of ironing. I constantly use the steam as I feel the heat in the iron alone just doesn’t cut it. Having said that I have found it does iron a lot quicker and of course I’m not constantly refilling the water tank, big bonus. Interestingly even though I am constantly using the steam button the water tank lasts ages. It is a lot lighter on your wrists so if you had arthritis or something like that this would be ideal for you. I hope it goes the distance as it just doesn’t feel very robust, the handle feels like it is seperating along the join as I use it, again maybe it will just take some getting used to after using a normal steam iron for ever. It takes 2 minutes to heat up, the steam is awesome and it isn’t bulky. The storage for the cords is a bit fiddIey. I did get it on special at David Jones so for just over $300 I think it’s pretty great.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Hey Jodie, thanks for talking a bit about your experience with the PerfectCare Elite! The large tank is definitely a big plus if you got laundry piling up. If you ever need our help, please feel free to reach out to us on social media or through 1300 363 391 to speak to someone directly. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

No complaints so far

This is the second 'steam station' iron I've had. The first lasted almost 7 years so I can't complain. Coincidentally I've purchased both with $100 cash back from Philips, meaning they each ended up costing around $300. I've been very pleased with both of them - I wouldn't own a standard type of iron again - these are on completely different scale. Makes ironing much less of a chore. For some years my husband needed a fair amount of work shirts ironed and happily did them himself. It takes a few minutes to heat up initially, but beeps when it does, so you can get on doing other things while you wait. This new model seems very similar to the previous one I had (GC9240) other than this one won't stand up on the ironing board (like you would place it while you readjust the item you are ironing), but presumably it doesn't have to as it can't burn the ironing board. It's a little unnerving though to leave an iron, plate down, on the ironing board. It's quite counter-intuitive and if I had to choose something I don't like, it would be that. Otherwise it works almost identically to the previous iron. Has the facility to keep the steam pumping out, but I don't particularly care for that function and so don't use it. I would highly recommend it, and given I was so pleased with the first one, didn't even consider a different manufacturer when purchasing this. I'd absolutely buy it again.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Thanks for sharing your experience, Sukobi. :) It's great to hear you've been very happy so far with your PerfectCare Elite Silence. Making ironing just a bit less of a chore is just what we wanted to achieve! If you ever need our help in the future or if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to reach out to us. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Less than a year old, and stopped working!

Top of the line iron, with bottom of the line parts! This one didn't even make it to its first year anniversary! Normally I wouldn't bother with reviews, although I don't want someone making the same mistake I did!

When it worked, it wasn't a bad iron, but to die after 11 months, embarrassing! Philips, you obviously know these irons have a fundamental problem, because judging from the other reviews, it is a common fault! Maybe a product recall should be issued? The iron would not produce steam externally, but it seams the steam was building up internally, and I almost burnt myself opening the De-calc plug! Is it a ticking time bomb?

Well done Philips for producing a junk product, at a high end price! I'm off to waste 'my time' to find a repairer, and what do I do in the mean time, heat a stone and iron my clothes with that?!?

Hope to hear from someone soon!

Date PurchasedDec 2015
Hi Nick, Thank you for your clear message. This is very valuable feedback for us. What a pity that the iron didn't really meet your expectations. We can imagine that you didn't expect your iron to break down after 11 months. We would like to see if there's anything we can do for you. Please call 1300 363 391 to get in touch with our team of specialist. They might be able to help you out with this. Kind regards, The Philips Australia TeamJust a followup. Called Customer Care and they advised that I could get a replacement from the store i bought it from. If there is a positive in this, the replacement was relatively painless. Now I'm crossing my fingers and toes that I wont have to write another review in 11 months!Hello Nick, Thank you for keeping us posted. We are glad to hear that the issues with your faulty iron have been resolved and that you received a replacement. Even though we are always open for feedback, we trust that you won't need to review this iron again. Should you require any assistance though please feel free to contact us anytime. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Disappointing

I did love this iron at first and recommended to all my friends, however similar to other reviews mine gave up after 2 years. Understandable if it was your cheap everyday iron, however for such an expensive product it was very disappointing. It also leaked brown water in the 6 months before it died. I contacted customer service several times with no return call, I have also sent emails. On the one time I did get through I was advised that they would cover the fix (I am sure its on a recorded line if anyone would like to check!) so I drove an hour each way to my nearest authorised repairer only to find out the cost would be more than the iron and at my expense (it would not be covered). I did consider buying another one (and putting its short life span down to an unfortunate one off, although I have never had any other issues with such an expensive product before) but I don't think I could rely on customer service if something went wrong again, so its disappointing that I can no longer recommend this brand.

Date PurchasedDec 2013
Hi Meg, Thank you for your message. We're glad to hear you loved your iron in the first place. What a pity though, that your iron gave up after 2 years. That's not the quality that you would expect from us. We'd like to see if there's anything we can do for you. Please call 1300 363 391 to get in touch with our team of specialists. They might be able to help. Kind regards, The Philips Australia TeamPhilips, thank you for your prompt response. In case you did not read my comments correctly - the customer care team are useless and do not return calls, and when they do it is the wrong information. I do not blame them for not returning the calls of upset customers as they are probably sick of the constant complaints! If you read through all the reviews of your steam irons (not just this model) they are fundamentally flawed and you have some serious issues with obsolescence at the 2-year mark. People need to know this before they pay hundreds of dollars for what should be a top end product with a life span to match. I am happy for your team to contact me if it goes back to your R & D department to do something about it and help you restore faith in your brand but not just to silence me from poor reviews so you can continue to sell this faulty product. I also do not want a small discount on another $450 iron that will die in 2 years!We see your point, Meg. Do you mind sharing your contact details with us through a private message here on Product Review? We'll have the right team reach out to you. Looking forward to your message. Kind regards, the Philips Australia team.

Huge disappointment out of the box!

Never been so disappointed at a brand new product specially to one to be the best in the market and awards winner! We bought it to replace a previous model GC7635 which after 2 years gave up by the now popular Eco+Power buttons of death. Out of the box when we filt up the water tank and switched it on, water was leaking from the Easy De-Cal knob...seriously how tight does this needs to be! I tried multiple times and water was still leaking as sooon as it was turn on. Also the iron's cord was extremely hot which was a major concern and this never was the case with the previous model. I see why you are offering a 100days money back guarantee!! Well I won't be waiting for another 99 for that to happen.

Date PurchasedOct 2016
Hello Fabian, Thank you for sharing your experience regarding the GC9642. We're sorry to hear it wasn't as good as you'd hoped. To be honest it is quite unusual to hear about the leaking, that should not happen. We're glad that you were able to return the device without any problems. But please know that we would've been more than willing to help if this wouldn't have been the case. If you ever run into any questions or problems, you could always reach out to us on 1300 363 391 or through social media or http://philips.com/support/. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Best iron I've ever had

Philips PerfectCare Elite Silence 290 Gram Steam Station GC9642/60
This thing is amazing. I've never had a steam generator iron before, but this one makes ironing extremely easy. I used to hate ironing before I got this thing. Got it at David Jones on sale. No design or quality flaws at all. Marked down from $749 to $549, and reviews on other web sites seemed positive. No regrets.

Hey again! Thanks for your enthusiasm and we're glad the iron works that well for you. As we mentioned in your other review about our ironing board, we can definitely imagine that ironing isn't a great thing to do. It's wonderful to read that our iron may have changed your sentiment about ironing. Your shirts will be happy about that. ;) Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team