Philips Premium All-In-One Cooker HD2178/72

Philips Premium All-In-One Cooker HD2178/72

MPN: HD2178-72

It's the only kitchen appliance I need!!!

This is the BEST appliance I own - in fact - I liked it so much I've got a second!!

I am also a TM owner and the TM is now a very expensive dust collector :( If I'd known about the All In One before purchasing the TM, I'd have not bothered with the TM.

I purchased my first Philips AIO on a whim after watching an infomercial for another brand of AIO - but when I researched the first, I couldn't justify the $400 price tag of that brand for something I wasn't sure of...I'd Never pressure cooked in my life.

I went off and did some research on different brands and was impressed by the looks and features of the Philips, so I set off finding the best deal. I decided on a certain retailer but had only ordered the Viva 2137. To my surprise the premium arrived :)

I started with a few recipes from the book, which I must be honest isn't very reliable in areas, but as I grew in confidence and learned how the AIO functioned, I was able to convert my own favourites with fantastic results in less time than I'd imagined! I found some facebook groups to join, the most helpful being named the Philips All-In-One-Cooker Community (All pots welcome).

I use the AIO more than I do my oven. I sold my slow cooker. The TM is still here because it's great for mixing dough - which I then prove in the AIO on the yoghurt function. One pot, dinner is done - no fuss!

The stainless steel pot that comes with this model as an accessory is an added bonus, I can mix soups in it without fear of scratching the surface.

I've had no issues with my AIO, which saw me purchase a second in July 2018, from Amazon, for the same price.

Thank you Philips for an amazing machine :)))

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Hey Pratty, Thank you so much for this very thorough review! It fills us with joy to hear how much you love your All-in-one-cooker. Please know that if you ever have any questions, you can contact us on social media, or through 1300 363 391. :) Have a great weekend, with lots of delicious meals. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Great WHEN it works.

Bought the HD2178/72 as a mothers' day present for my wife in May 2017. It worked great until July or August 2018 when it started operating erratically. When we plugged it in, the entire control panel buttons would light up at the same time and unresponsive to touch. If we kept repeating the process she'd eventually start working. I contacted Philips for warranty and they gave me a case number and the nearest repair centre (Newcastle Custom Electronics). I called them to book a repair and the attitude I got from the lady I spoke to was really poor...add to that the fact that she said they'd never repaired a pressure cooker at their place, I decided to suffer quietly whilst promising myself I'D NEVER BUY A PHILIPS PRODUCT AGAIN !! I live in Maitland and don't even know where else to take this item to be fixed.

Date PurchasedMay 2017
Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to write this review. Sorry to hear about the negative experience you've had with the repair centre and the product, despite the good start you've had with the product itself. That's of course not what we would like to hear and we would like to investigate this further for you, if you'd like us to. Please reach out to us via the phone number: 1300 363 391 and we hope you'll give the Philips products a second chance. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Perfect!

It a dream machine for me! Can do stews and braised dishes, chinese/asian traditional dishes in a jiffy! Got it at Costco for $185. Its a steal for such a fantastic cooking buddy. Performance is 10/10 and cost is a fraction of those other so-called other branded premium thousand dollar All in One cooking machines.

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Hello there, thank you for your 5-star review! We are glad to know that you have chosen our All-In-One Cooker to prepare such delicious dishes. :) Feel free to let us know if you have any questions in the future. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Philips HD2178/72 Atrocious

Purchased this on the week end for Costco. Very disappointed . The seer doesn't really get that hot and the red seal button doesn't release that the steam when you go to vent after cooking.
The general time on listening to all the cooks on you tube to cook a piece of beef all cubed is 20 -25 MINUTES. I had to have mine set for 65 minutes for the meat to be tender - And I was using rump at $ 20.00 per kilo -Not a cheap cut -I want my money back !!!!

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Hi there, We're sorry to hear you haven't had the best experience with the All-In-One Cooker. We'd like to see if we can help you with that. We're wondering you used the high or low temp sear setting. Also, for the meat, did you use the pressure cooking setting or the non-pressure cook setting? We'd recommend to pressure cook the steak for about 15-20 minutes. If you run into any problems, please check out the manual for cooking tips on for the appliance. https://www.download.p4c.philips.com/files/h/hd2178_72/hd2178_72_irb_eng.pdf Alternatively, you're always welcome to come visit us on Facebook or Twitter for further assistance. We hope this helps. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team.

Great Appliance!

The things I love about the Premium AIO are
Two bowls - particularly the SS bowl
Yoghurt function
Full control over the steam release function ie NR (natural release) or QR (quick release) as opposed to the later model or another PC brand that I also own which is QR only :(
Manual function (often use this as opposed to pre set functions)
2 yr warranty!!! This is definitely worthy of mentioning
Easy to remove inner lid, seal and clean these parts (should come with two seals though - one for savory and one for sweet due to smell retention)
Lid not permantely attached which makes it much easier to store height wise in cupboard - my lid is always stored off AIO

Improvements
User manual book - not newbie friendly / recipe mistakes /omissions eg...at end of cooking no mention of which method of pressure release! :(
Sauté high could be a bit higher temp
2 min default is annoyingly short...5 mins is more realistic...10 mins even better as easy to cancel unused time
Also annoying is not being able to change default time after you start function...got caught out there a few times earlier (my other PC doesn’t have a set default time)
Too slow to come to pressure....wherever possible I use hot liquid which helps a lot...again my other brand PC is much quicker.
When it reverts to keep warm mode I would prefer it to count up in seconds rather than minutes...very helpful when PC eggs in shells for three minutes then keep warm for 30 seconds before QR.
I would love to be able to set it to 0 time for PC function to still operate rather than the 2 min default (great for cooking more delicate veggies) and a featire common to other brands I know of.
Re design outer pot handles and outer lid so it could sit in the handle when removing - pet dislike of mine trying to find somewhere to put it down when hot with limited bench space

Suggestions for those new to the AIO
Join a good Philips PC group or 2 eg FB, as Ive learnt more there pre purchase than I ever would have from the user manual
Many owners are so savvy in ways of using the AIO and I’m in an amazingly knowledable group...hence the reason I went with the Philips AIO.
There as many little accessories available to really help make using your AIO more enjoyable..
Eg...I cook for two here...haven’t cooked rice the conventional way as too much rice required...I just cook one cup at a time using the PIP method...pot in pot method, manual setting - comes out perfect!

Although I haven’t used slow cook function yet (I’m more a PC fan) but the AIO has a slow cook HIGH and a slow cook LOW function...
Muliticookers don’t seem to operate temp wise the same as a stand alone slow cooker - the AIO is no exception so here’s a great tip for those wanting to use slow cook recipes...
If a stand alone slow cooker recipe says to cook something 6 hrs on LOW....this will equate to 6 hrs `slow cook HIGH’ in the AIO,
OR if the slow cook recipe states eg...4 hrs on HIGH....this will equate to 8 hrs `slow cook HIGH’ in the AIO...
The AIO slow cook HIGH temp is 90C +/- 10C - slow cook LOW temp is 70C +/- 10C
Hope this helps :)

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Girlpower! Thank you so much for your super thorough review on our All-In-One Cooker. :) The experience might be nice for the people thinking about getting one, and the tips for people that already own this device. In any case we wish you a lot of delicious and nutritious meals for the future. And don't hesitate to let us know if you ever need us. You'll be able to find us on http://philips.com/support/. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Terrible design

The pressure cooker worked well when it was working. When i cooked congee with it, the water spilled out of the pot and ended up between the inner pot and machine resulting in water damage. I called Philips regarding warranty but they said it was my fault for not placing the appropriate level of water. I did not have the water level past the max marker in the pot. Terrible design.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Hi, Helen. That's not what we like to hear. How unfortunate to hear you experienced some issues with your cooker. We'd like to see if we can help with that. If you still have the cooker, please come visit us on Facebook or Twitter. Our agents will then be more than happy to assist you where possible. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team.

Quiet machine. Expect an update

This is now a discontinued model. I picked mine up from Harvey Norman today near half price. Sadly, the cord was missing when I got home. Happily, a computer cord worked! You really do have to be a bit of a nerd to use this machine 'cos it's not that user friendly and the instructions assume an IQ of beyond normal. But does it do the job? I suspect it might. With some cooking experience I guessed at a beef stew. Sautee went well (love that I can maintain that caramelisation), then pressure cooked for 25 minutes. Meat a bit chewy, so I'll try 30 minutes next time. I found no melding of flavours you get with.a slow cook. Mind you, my spouse did a bit of a rave. He loved the results. (Philistine!). Even though other reviews I looked at rated this machine lower than the Breville, like others, I liked the additional stainless steel bowl. However, I have found the stainless steel bowl is probably austenitic,meaning it is not magnetic. This will only be important if you have an induction hotplate like I do. (I should have taken my magnet with me!), I do like flexible cooking modes. Will I love this machine? I suspect so. So quiet. Gonna be my toy for awhile.Give me a few weeks and I'll update with my cooking results.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Hi there, It sound you have been experimenting with the All-in-one-Cooker quite a lot! You mentioned that the instructions were a bit difficult. Are you struggling with anything at the moment? We'd like to help you wherever we can. If you're still looking for the right cable, please contact the store or contact our call center team directly at 1300 363 391. Thanks! Kind regards, The Philips Australia team

Water condensation on the panel

This pressure cooker is no doubt very functional and convenient. However there 2 flaws. No.1 - There is no water outlet or collection cup like the tefal pressure cooker. Hence water easily seeps into the panel. And this happened even with the seal properly on. I don’t have this problem with my tefal even though I have times forgotten the seal. No.2 - The rubber seal becomes pretty loose after a few uses. And I usually do not remove the seal while cleaning unless necessary. So it do come off quickly easily half way through cooking. And this happened to my friend’s unit as well.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Hi Maddy, thanks so much for sharing your experiences with the All-In-One Cooker. We appreciate your honest opinion, as this kind of feedback helps us a great deal to improve our products in the future. Having said that, we regret hearing that you are having some issues with your unit. To get customer support for the issue, we would like to ask you to reach out to us by phone: 1300 363 391. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Tip top pressure cooker that every house should has

Just bought HD2178 from Costco last week. It’s very easy to use and very quiet when using the pressure cooking mode. I’ve been using other brands, never seen the pressure cooker can be so quiet, unbelievable quiet! Foods are all cooked just nice and yummy. It also very clean as the steam will not splashing out everywhere like others pressure cooking. Most important is its save my cooking time and all the cleaning hassles.
It’s a good product and strongly recommend every household to own one.
I’m getting excited as lots of cooking can be used by this fantastic cooker, from meat, soup to many types of desserts, everyday I just keep discovering it. You will regret if don’t have it!

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Hey there, Great to see you've taken the time to share your experiences here. And awesome to hear you've been having a good time using the pressure cooking. We hope you'll enjoy many more lovely meals and wish you all the best for now! Kind regards, The Philips Australia TeamHi, just found out the rings and nuts on my AOI lid already rusted and when I unscrewed everything, I realised the round ring was cut, is it normal? I thought they are stainless steel, but yet the lid still a bit rusted? ThanksHi again, Cecilia. Thanks for getting back to us and we like to see how we can help. We advise you to contact our colleagues on the below number for further assistance: 1300 363 391 Mondays to Saturdays: 7:00 am - 7:00 pm EST Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Best Buy

This Has become an indispensable part of our household. Partner uses it to make dishes she would never have attempted before. And it’s super fast and easy. we have told our friends about it and even they are raving about it now.
we have only used the pressure cooker function so far and it’s been superb. It has paid for itself many times over. The only gripe I had is that the buttons are hard to press.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Excellent machine but manual & recipe book are truely appalling!

+ Fantastic well made machine
+ Easy to use

- Truly dreadful user manual why does Philips consistently provide cheap/nasty manuals that are unreadable. I expected better after paying $280 for it.
- Recipe book poorly researched or I suspect tested with the cooker will leave users frustrated
- Inaccurate cooking timings on machine - I bought this cooker because it had an auto risotto setting which takes 14 mins. I ended up with an overcooked mess fit for the bin!!! Retried it, and it cooked perfectly on only 5 mins! See my risotto recipe below.
- No instructions in the manual on how to remove the inner lid... still puzzling over how I can remove it and clean it and the valves underneath.

Mushroom & Asparagus Recipe - for two people. For 4 people, just double recipe.

1 cup of risotto rice
1 1/2 cup of water (hot is better as it takes less time for the cooker to come up to pressure)
1 cup of white wine
1 brown onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
6 medium sized mushrooms sliced
1 heaped teaspoon of butter (I use vegan butter but you can also use 2 tablespoons of olive oil)
Fresh tyme
1/2 lemon juice
1 teaspoon of Vegeta powered vegetable stock
2 teaspoon of fresh finely chopped parsley
4 sticks of asparagus cut into 2 cm pieces
Parmasan grated (I personally use Vegan)

METHOD
Using the saute setting, add the butter (or oil) and add onion, garlic, mushroom and fresh thyme leaves. Saute 2 mins with lid off
Add white wine (I use sauvignon blanc)
Add vegeta stock powder
Add risotto rice
Add hot water
Switch off saute function and put on the lid and pressure cook for 5 MINUTES ONLY.
Release steam, then remove lid, add asparagus, stir in. If the risotto is a little dry add a few table spoons of hot water from your kettle
Switch on saute function and cook for 2 mins (don't stir too much).
Switch off saute function and replace lid and switch on keep warm function and allow to 'steam' for 1-2 mins
Remove lid. Add lemon, parsley and parmesan and serve. (I personally, also serve mine with a little balsamic vinegar reduction)

You should end up with a perfectly delicious risotto.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Hi Bill, thank you for letting us know clearly what you like and dislike about our All-in-one cooker. You mention that the user manual is dreadful and hard to read, could you let us know if we could clarify some things about the All-in-one cooker? As for the recipe book, what exactly are you experiencing trouble with? Are the instructions unclear or incorrect? Lastly, it's kind of odd that the cooking timings on the machine are inaccurate. Could you reach out to us on Twitter or Facebook? We would like to see if there's something wrong with your device. Hope to hear from you and have a pleasant day! Kind Regards, The Philps Australia Team.

Love and hate.

My 10 minute risotto has so far taken over an hour because the steps to fry off chicken, then onion and bacon, then toast rice have taken an age on the high temp sear setting. The chicken didn’t even colour! I’ve just checked it and the rice is boiling even though I’ve checked and rechecked the seal it isn’t going well. The yoghurt recipe in the cookbook isn’t set, very liquid although it does taste good. The olive, garlic and lemon roast chicken from the cookbook didn’t get a “nice sear on the breast”, it burned although the chicken itself was tender and moist.

This is my first experience with a pressure cooker and I WANT to love it but so far I’m not getting a lot of joy and I’m a competent cook.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Hey Witchy, Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on the All-In-One Cooker. When cooking risotto in the cooker it's important to use the pressure cook setting. Have you done this? Unfortunately, we're not entirely sure which chicken risotto dish you've tried to make. therefore, giving further advice on that is a little difficult. Could you maybe clarify this for us? Regarding the homemade yogurt recipe, it's very important that the milk is at room temperature before putting it in the cooker. Furthermore, we recommend using a milk with a normal fat percentage. Finally, the lemon chicken dish.There are two different ways, through the cooker, to cook the chicken. For a crispy and nice color, we recommend using the pressure cooker setting with slightly more olive oil and butter then described in the manual to ensure the chicken isn't burning. Otherwise, you can also try out the slow cook setting for a nice tender and moist chicken. We hope this information is somewhat to use to you. However, if you have any remaining questions don't hesitate to reach out to us. We're available via phone or social media. We looking forward to hearing from you. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team.Thanks guys. The milk was cold so that was probably the problem. I used the pressure cook setting for the risotto, I made the plain risotto and added chicken, mushrooms and peas to it. For the roast chicken, I used the pressure setting and if you need to adjust the ingredients then why doesn’t the book note this? As this is my first pressure cooker, clarity is required until I’m confident with it to make my own tweaks.Thank you for getting back to us, Witchy. We would like to ask you to reach out our Consumer Care Team as we will probably be able to get into the issue better by phone. Our colleagues of Consumer Care are more than happy to discuss the issues further with you and find a resolution. Thank you in advance! Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Getting to know the newest family member.......

Finally by the third day, we became good friends. Now have formed a perfect relationship. Bought it for the two inner pots, cakes and yoghurt, which are all excellent. Corn beef melts in the mouth, use manual setting and extend time to 59 minutes for 2 kg. Casseroles are so tender, also extend cooking time owing to large quantity. One grouch, and of course it is the same as most others.. re manual explanations. Could we please have a correct interpretation? There are over 23,000 000 who live on this large island and many of us are hooked on Philips products, especially me. Love the warming button. A pleasure to clean. Many thanks for making life easier.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Hi Maggie, how awesome that, despite the slow start, the newest family member fits right in, we're sure the feeling is mutual! :) Thanks for sharing your experience as well as feedback with us, it's much appreciated. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Good but Not that Good

I bought the top of the range cooker I do not like the touch screen it does not respond to activate Start I have to cancel and re-do to get it started very ticked off.
I have cooked several meals in it and select my own cooking times but touch screen does not instantly respond to my commands I am not sure if I have a dud unit standing there for over 5 mins waiting for it to accept the start process. Also you cannot rest the lid onto the cooker when you remove it.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Hi Alex, thanks for your review. We regret to hear that you're experiencing some issues with the touch screen of your All-In-One-Cooker. It would be great if you could give us a call on 1300 363 391 (Australia) or 0800 658 224 (New Zealand), so our colleagues can see how they can be off assistance. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

High quality inner pots

We bought this four months ago and have been using it regularly. We are pleased with the high quality material of the two inner pots provided - one of which is SUS304 stainless steel. We mainly use it for its pressure cooker functions - cooking rice/risotto, soup, meat/ poultry, beans/ lentils, steam. You can also select the 'manual' option for pressure cooker and set the length of time you want to cook it - I personally like this as I have gotten used to using Cuisinart electric pressure cooker in the past and their manual gives a good estimate of how long to cook all sorts of ingredients. I found the sensor button for the 'start/reheat' button somewhat slow and unresponsive at times but I have learnt that you have to pause and wait a few seconds after you have set the time before it will respond to you pressing the start button. Similar to other reviewers, we found the instructions in the manual somewhat inaccurate/ conflicting, so we were a bit confused when we first started using it. But we have figured out how to use it after some practice and with our knowledge and previous experience in using an electric pressure cooker. Overall, we are satisfied with the quality of the materials of the inner pots (which is safer and better for your health).

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Hi there, Good to know that you like the All-in-one cooker generally. We appreciate that you took the time to share this feedback with us. We are wondering what you found to be conflicting/inaccurate in the manual though? That would be valuable information for our development team. And is there anything you need us to clear up? We'd be happy to help. Kind regards, The Philips Australia team

Versatile cooker with great options and stainless stell bowl

I bought this multi-cooker specifically because it comes with a stainless steel bowl. (as well as a non-stick bowl)
The cooker is easy to use once you work out that method of pressing the buttons. It took me a few goes to realise that you don't just press them, you have to touch and hold for a second.

I have now cooked two meals in the cooker. One using Pressure and the other using Slow. Both meals came out exactly as expected and as described by the cookbook.

I am particularly impressed by the sauté/sear option. This makes browning meat and softening onions a breeze and means that you can do your preparation on the cooker instead of having to use a frying pan.
I was a little surprised by the pressure release valve. I expected the cooker to slowly release the pressure at the completion of cooking. Maybe I didn't wait long enough, but I had to manually release the pressure and it shoots steam into the air meaning you have to be mindful of where you place it on the bench to ensure there is nothing above it that might get affected by steam. I was also surprised that I had to release pressure at the end of a slow cooking cycle. These are not complaints and now I know, I will be aware each time I use the cooker.

The cooker is easy to clean with simple to follow instructions.

I would highly recommend this product as it ticks all the boxes.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Hello, Steve. We are very happy to learn you are satisfied with the All-In-One Cooker. Thank you for taking the time to write down your experiences! Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

excellent fast ,slow, pressure cooker

I bought this after seeing it on tv, its is the best , makes cooking easy, the cook book could be better , but that's the only complaint I have, would highly recommend this product

Date PurchasedMay 2017

It make my day perfect everyday.

I am loving this product. The easy to use features enable me to cook my favorite dishes that take a long time to cook but with this pressure cooker, I manage to cook them in short period of time. I have used meat/poultry ,stew,soup and recently bake a cake for my husband. Worth buying it!

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Hi Izan, We loved reading your review. It makes us proud that you are such a fan! We hope it will serve you well for many more years. :) Kind regards, The Philips Australia team

Love this all in one cooker

Love this all in one cooker, it has a child lock (really handy to stop my kids messing with the settings or turning it on), plus the start button needs a few seconds to actually start (also handy with kids around). I didn't bother with the instructions after a quick read through, but I found the cooker very easy to program after a little experimentation. YouTube is really great in this respect, I love seeing Gabby demonstrate the product on the Philips channel, and there are heaps of recipes from other you tubers using pressure cookers or instant pots.

I really love the stainless steel bowl and find it really handy for soups since I can use my metal stick mixer with no issues, which means less washing up and fiddling around. The stainless steel bowl was a major deciding factor in buying this cooker, and its very well made. It really makes this cooker stand out since most have just the non stick bowls which really limit how you can use them (you can't use a lot of off brand accessories etc).

The silicone seal does hold curry smells like a champ so I've been soaking it in white vinegar and leaving my lid upside down to air out (it took a while to fade, now I stir in curry after the cooking is done and that's working really well, no more curry smell on the seal and my meal is still very tasty).

Its build quality is great and it looks very nice on the bench, the accessories are handy and work as intended.

I upgraded from a much cheaper brand that had been recalled and I have been really impressed with this cookers performance, it's one of my favourite appliances (along with my air fryers).

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Hi there, What a wonderful review, thank you for that! We're glad to hear that you're happy with the All-In-One Cooker and the Airfryers, you're a true member of the Philips happy family. ;-) We hope the cooker will serve you well for many years. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Great for winter cooking

I have tried several different dishes with this product, from slow cooking to high pressure cooking to using it as a heated saucepan for pasta. We tried Pasta Bolognese in the #phillipsallinonecooker. I made the Penne pasta in my Phillips Pasta machine, set aside and cooked up the spaghetti sauce as per the recipe. This was fine. Next step was to add the pasta, 270ml of water and close the lid. Touch Multicook and choose Stew/Curry, set cooking time to 30 minutes and press Start. Only the maximum I could get the timer to was 10 minutes and even then it didn't really count down nor cook the pasta. In the end I set it to pressure cooker for 10 minutes and this did the job. Would certainly cook the sauce in this every time though.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're glad to hear you're able to enjoy delicious pasta dishes from the cooker. :) Kind regards, the Philips Australia team