Qantas American Express Ultimate

See the Best Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Qantas American Express Ultimate
CategoryFrequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards, Balance Transfer Credit Cards and Rewards Credit Cards
24-Hour Phone Contact Yes
Online Live Chat Yes
Card TypeAmerican Express
BenefitsComplimentary Travel Insurance, Sign-Up Bonus Points Offer and Travel Credit
Minimum Credit Limit$3,000
Minimum Income $65,000
Additional Cardholders 4
Additional Cardholder Fee $0 p.a.
Minimum Repayments2.5%
Rewards ProgramQantas Frequent Flyer
Points Earn Rate 1.25 points per $1
Points Conditions
  • 1.25 points for every $1 spent on regular purchases,

• 0.5 points for each $1 spent at government bodies in Australia,

• 2.25 points earned for each $1 spent on selected Qantas products and services.

There is no cap on earn rate.

Contactless PaymentsApple Pay, Fitbit Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay
Annual Fee$450 p.a.
Foreign Transaction Fee 3%
Interest Free Period 44 days
Introductory Offers
Sign-Up Bonus Receive 55,000 bonus Qantas Points when you spend $3,000 within the first 3 months.
Balance Transfer Rates
Balance Transfer Period 12 months
Balance Transfer Rate 0% p.a.
Balance Transfer Fee 1%
Release dateAug 2006

The Qantas American Express Ultimate card is popular among point-hunters due to its high uncapped earn rates:

• 1.25 points for every $1 spent on regular purchases,
  • 0.5 points for each $1 spent at government bodies, and

It has regular bonus offers for new sign-ups, ranging from 55,000 to 100,000 points. However, all this comes at the expense of a high annual fee of $450, and a shorter interest-free period than many other cards, only 44 days. While you do get a few other perks such as $450 of Qantas travel credit, travel insurance, and lounge access, the fees and minimum income requirement of $65,000 may be off-putting for many people.

ProsCons
Regular Bonus Point Offers (currently 55,000) High Annual Fee ($450)
Uncapped Points Earn Rate Only 44 days Interest-Free Period
High Points 1% Balance Transfer Establishment Fee
$450 yearly Qantas Travel Credit $65,000 minimum income requirement
Two complimentary Qantas Lounge invitations Reviewers commonly complain that AmEx is not accepted everywhere

Poor incentives, but high and easy credit approval

I applied for my credit card with AMEX due to the partnership with Qantas Frequent Flyer (Points Program)

Since acquiring the credit card I can say the following.

AMEX unfortunately isn't accepted everywhere (Everyday merchants refuse to have it listed due to fees)

However It is used online by very many merchants.

I was able to book a holiday (All flights + Hotels) and receive my 100 K Qantas point bonus. It included free travel insurance and the added benefits of using a platinum credit card, such as no overseas fee's etc etc

Customer service at AMEX is exceptional I was applying for a home loan and had to remove my card due to lending restrictions, AMEX understood and agreed, they cancelled my card and followed up with me as per my request to kick start the process to acquiring a new one, I still have this card to date, for all those special purchases.

My other large beef was the 450$ travel credit to use with AMEX. Their site seemed to inflate all options so you don't really save anything in terms of flights or accommodation..

Card Start DateFebruary 2018
Card / Account Used ForOnline Shopping, Overseas/Travel and Special Purchases

Fantastic card for those who use Amex

The Qantas American Express Ultimate card is on the more expensive side of the annual fee sitting at $450 per annum but the great thing is that you get that back in travel credit. Great trick with the card is that if you want until the last week before the credit expires you have 2 lots to use at once. Just remember you will need to make 2 separate bookings.
Also I received information on low interest terms, balance transfers, rebates on usin the card etc on a regular basis which is a great surprise when you find one that fits your needs and want.

Card Start DateMarch 2018
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses, Online Shopping, Overseas/Travel and Special Purchases

A bit pricey

I’m not planning on renewing this card: $450pa annual fee is a bit much. The $450 AMEX travel credit you get in return is a little misleading- can’t us it in conjunction with Frequent Flyer bookings which is how we do things, so it just sits there until expiry or throw away on a quick trip for the sake of it.
Need a backup MasterCard/Visa to support - still limited options with AMEX.
Regular Cashback offers is the best thing about AMEX. Great App for iOS too.

Card Start DateSeptember 2018
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses and Online Shopping

Excellent combination

Was able to get this with a discounted annual fee and Qantas points for joining. I would not use this for international/overseas purchases as a fee is charged for those but for all other purchases it gives you the maximum points.

Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

It's like a best friend that will always be there for you

If you used your card overseas, how was your experience with it?
Im travelling to Europe and so far everything ticket related was payed for using this card
How easy did you find it to transfer your balance to this credit card?
Super easy it was all done online and you don't need to worry they take care of it all
How satisfied are you with the rewards available to you?
absolutely satisfied and I cant wait to enjoy the benefits
Is it easy to accumulate points, and is it simple to redeem them?
very easy and at the end of each month everything is transferred over to your supporting provider, if only other things in life were this easy.

Card Start DateMarch 2019

AMEX Provides Great Value after 40 Years

I have had an American Express card for the last 40 years, with card type updates over time to receive better benefits and rewards, with excellent service from American Express when I really needed it.

I have recently updated to the Qantas American Express Ultimate card which will actually save me money as I will receive and use the annual card fee credit to book a Qantas flight and recover the cost (and earn more Qantas Frequent Flyer points) on the flight. This will make it less expensive than my previous Qantas American Express Premium card which, although having a lower annual fee, did not have the travel credit. The Ultimate Card will also give me better Qantas Frequent Flyer points for my dollar spend, as well as a one off points bonus for the upgrade. The two Qantas Club passes per annum will continue with the Ultimate Card.

More importantly, over the years, American Express has provided excellent security against fraudulent transactions by contacting me to verify abnormal overseas transactions using my card number. On many occasions, these were not mine, and the transaction was refused.

Points are transferred monthly to my Qantas Frequent Flyer account, which I redeem from time to time for Qantas classic reward flights, which give the best value points usage.

Also, on an overseas holiday, my American Express card was stolen, I notified American Express within one hour and the card was cancelled with all future transactions blocked (and American Express advised us that the thief tried!). By way of comparison, I also had a VISA card stolen at the same time, that was issued by an Australian bank. I also notified the bank of the theft within one hour, but transactions continued to be approved for weeks afterwards!! The bank kept telling me to ignore it and they took many more weeks to resolve the issue.

Also, on two occasions, I have used the travel insurance that is provided with the card for unexpected hospital attention while on holiday overseas. I received excellent assistance and service, both overseas and after returning, and had trouble free refunds from the American Express travel insurance provider on both occasions.

I am well pleased with the product, service and benefits and cannot recommend American Express more highly.

Card Start DateMarch 2019

If you're a Frequent flyer, this is THE card

For any Qantas Frequent Flyer, this is the best card. I have used it overseas with no problem at all. it's accepted in almost all stores now. The $450 yearly fee is given back to you in a form a travel credit with Amex Travel and Qantas which is a big plus. The fact that your travel insurance is also covered with the card is great. We were lucky to get a bonus 100,000 points when we applied for the card. I would highly recommend it.

Card Start DateFebruary 2018

Quite good if you want to accumulate Qantas Points

I quite like the card that it has 100k bonus points for the new member. $450 annual fee but give back $450 as credit. $1 = 1.25 points.
Qantas points could be used via 13 other different airlines so that I prefer this card.
I spend with major retail stores so that i get to use my card quite a bit.
I would highly recommend this card if you are into FF, and travel quite a bit.

Good if you want to collect Qantas points and fly away in Business

I had this card for more than 2 years. They were great initially and supplied many promotional things such - spend 100 dollars in David Jones and get back 30 , Petrol was spent above 40 and get back 10 etc, but nowadays it's just stopped all practical promotion (it's pushing towards not useful things) It also getting way too expensive and not competitive enough when compared to some of the other rewards cards (Qantas rewards cards) out available on the market. I will use this card for the last year before cancel.

The good things if you refer your friend or family you will get 30K points up to 200K per year. So its sort of free return in business to Asia and first class to Europe. Also annual fees you can use on Qantas flight within Australia, however, AMEX travel doesn't show e-red rate, so always more expensive than you would buy online.
I guess, AMEX also became less attractive in terms of points rewards. They now more in line with the VISA card and more expensive.

Card Start DateAugust 2017

SNEAKY POLICY

Amex push refer a customer and get 30,000F/F points, and they get 100,000 points, on joining, for $450 membership fee. Great deal, read the fine print: If a new customer, has held a card with them in the previous 18 months, the award bonus does not apply. Hence they process the application. When approved, spend $3000 within 3 months, you get 100,000 points. NOT SO, you get nothing, as their policy is no award, 18 month rule. I did the application, was approved, spent $3K within a month. then told no award points 100,000. Cancelled immediately membership. This company is sneaky on how they do business. AVOID THEM. As the old saying goes, if it sound too good!! This offer is a scam.

Card Start DateApril 2019
Card / Account Used ForEveryday Expenses

Still allows merchant to charge to card after card cancellation

My partner and I both had AMEX card for about 2 years. They were great initially, but it was getting way too expensive and not competitive enough when compared to some of the other rewards card out there, we decided to cancel.

Guess what? They will continue to allow anyone to charge to the card if you had recurring payment schedule setup.

In the past 12 months, every now and then AMEX will deduct money from our bank account for those payments. AMEX will NOT do anything, they push all the responsibility to you. We did our best to go through all our accounts, but they have been a couple charges here and there.

What's the point of cancelling the card if they will continue allow merchants to charge us?

I guess, AMEX will be the financial nightmare that continue to haunt us.

Card is fine but

I have had this card for about 18 months having changed from NAB. Its expensive but if you can use the Qantas discount it pays for its self. My gripe is with replacement cards. The card is falling to pieces and whilst the replacement is free it comes with a new number. Can you imagine how inconvenient this is when it comes to direct debits etc. Every single one has to be updated. This is dinosaur technology. Oh and like so many websites no way to send a complaint or comment. Had the same issue with Wespac last week" we can't accept a complaint because you don't have a customer number" No wonder we needed a royal commission. Can I also suggest that you don't use live chat functions as Amex is very slow

Bad customer experience

I receive a call to verify my detail for applying an Amex card.

However there is no way for me to make sure the caller is impersonating Amex.
If someone saw that I have applied for an AMEX card, he would call me to ask for all sorts of details (name, address, birthday details)

Also, the person was so in-genuine when asked me if there is anything he can do.
He hung-up on me when I tried to provide a feedback

Let's hope I do not have to deal with Amex call center.

changed my opinion of AMEX

I have been using the card now for 4 months....and it has delivered all that was promised and was easy to set up..DUMPED Westpac due to absolutely crap service and I am earning more qantas points ( you can select a Virgin equivalent ) for the same spend...and $450 fee you get back on flights.....so really I had a wrong perception of AMEX.

Card closed but AMEX still allowing Netflix subscription to accumulate

Got this card for the points and the $450 travel voucher. Used that fine no probs.
Closed the AMEX in Feb over the phone 1300 736 659 Customer Relations Hotline.
Requested a statement with a zero balance.
March statement arrived showing $9.99 to Netflix.
Queried it and they said they would wipe it.
April statement showing $9.99 to Netflix. My bad for not updating my payment details at Netflix. Actioned this straight away once I realised my error.
Called AMEX to complain. Got a lecture from the Customer Agent - which is always well received.
Why does AMEX allow the charges from other merchants to be processed on a closed account?
In the old days, the merchant would withdraw/cancel/suspend the service if your payment details were not current.
The contract is between me and AMEX to pay the account when due. The second contract is between me and Netflix to provide valid payment details. If I am in breach of my contract with Netflix, it is Netflix who should take remedial action with me; not take it upon themselves to continue to offer me the service with invalid payment details.
Argued with the AMEX Customer Agent who said I had an option to lodge an investigation which would take 6-8 weeks for an outcome. We are talking $9.99 here people!! I know it's not a lot, but can imagine how many peeps let it slide?
I agreed to the investigation option. She popped me on hold for a short while and then came back and told me, that the charge had been waived and there was nothing further outstanding on the account. Just like that :)
I asked for a Closed Account Statement showing a zero balance. She said it would be emailed to me. Waiting waiting...........
So the moral of the story - cease your direct debits (me) and stop debiting closed accounts (Netflix) or facilitating this action. (AMEX)

A step up from a usual credit card

I have had this card for a couple of years now and I find it to be pretty good value.

The card has a pretty good points earning rate at 1.5 QFF points per $1 spent (excluding Government spending). Also, the travel credit is a welcome addition as I can spend $450 a year towards Qantas flights.

What I like about this card is that offers are occasionally made available where you spend at X participating retailer and you will get a credit. Quite often, I've found retailers on this list that I was going to spend at anyway. Within a given membership year, this has always covered the cost of the membership fee.

I also find the staff pretty good to deal with as well.

Terrible Customer Service

If you have a question or need something done be prepared to have to sit on the phone for hours, get passed around to different people (all of which none can give you an answer), tell you they will call back and they don't so you will have to call them back over weeks just trying to get an answer. Some of the worst customer service I have experienced.

Rudest Most Arrogant Staff You Will Come Across

Virtually impossible to claim the flight, typical bait and switch tactics where they tell you there are no complimentary flights available for any dates you have selected but you can purchase a more expensive flight (what a privilege). If you take issue with this or find it deceptive and misleading conduct and ask to speak to somebody about it, then be prepared to be transferred several times to different reps who will treat you with varying levels of contempt before lecturing you on what an ungrateful customer you are and hanging up on you. What a fantastic card to have in the wallet.

Best card with no annual fees and earn Qantas points

I am using this card for 4 years for everyday shopping to online purchases like Paypal, no issues at all, very good customer services, promptly replied, and the best earn 1 point for every dollar spent.

Scam

Do NOT get an American Express card. I cancelled mine in March and I keep getting recurring charges on it. Every time I ring up and ask how its possible to continue to have recurring charges put on the card, the person on the end of the phone tells me they will suspend it. No matter how sweet the deal don't fall for it. You can't cancel it, they are scammers.

They just keep telling me they will suspend the card, but they don't and its 3 months now.