QBE Home and Contents Insurance

QBE Home and Contents Insurance

They don’t deserve a star

I have been with them for 8 years. Never claimed on anything until recently where paint got on the floorboards - quote given for the whole house 2900. Did not get 1 cent. They are a disgusting business with awful customer service!! What a waist of money !!!

Claim MadeYes
Hi Tan, we're sorry to hear about this experience. If you're unhappy with the outcome of your claim, you can refer it to our Customer Care team here - https://www.qbe.com/au/about/governance/complaints

DO NOT USE THIS INSURER

I would not use this insurer, I had my block of apartments with them and a Tenant damaged one apartment. They said the apartment previously had a leak and then wouldn't cover any damage. Even with clear before and after reports.

Property TypeOther
Type of ClaimVandalism/Malicious Damage

Contents Insurance nightmare

I just need to make a simple claim. I am still on the phone waiting to speak to someone it has currently been over 1hour and 17 minutes on hold.

Coverage TypeContents Only

PATHETIC AND BEWARE

What a joke this company is, steer clear! I had a water leak in a recess between a shower and walk in wardrobe that was not visible due to shelving and told my claim to repair carpet and plaster was declined. Apparently gradual leaks are not covered I’m told. I should have had some moisture sensors installed in my walls, brilliant idea. That’s not all, during the inspection, someone decided to cut my carpet without my consent but of course this was also ignored, fantastic support for a customer of over 20 years asking me to review their PDS, typical insurance response to decline a claim based on their endless amount of fine print that never in a lifetime will my annual $1,000 cover provide value for money. Where was the consideration for me on my loyalty toward their organisation paying every year without default only to be gouged like the poor little consumer deserves. No point going to the ACCC or small claim tribunal, I’m one person who doesn’t have the time or patience to go through all of this so guess what, they win again. I was even asked to escalate my claim to their internal Dispute Team, was this meant to make me feel better or just another way to grind me down to the inevitable. Guess what they escalated it anyway and got the response I expected, even better, they addressed my wife as Donna, her name is Anna! All I’ve had is copy and paste responses and my time with them is done! PATHETIC !

Type of ClaimEscape of Liquid
Claim Resolution Time1-2 months
Hi LS1, we're sorry to hear about this experience. We will PM you for some details and look into this ~BLS

Shocking Customer Servive

Having been a customer for more than 10 years I expected more from QBE. I recently moved house and changed my insurance provider as QBE were unable to meet my needs. I had paid up front for a full year and was due a refund for 8 months worth of premium I was told that this would be refunded onto my credit card. After 2 weeks I called to ask were my refund was and was told that it had not been processed properly and would now be sorted and go onto my credit card. 1 month later and still no refund! After threatening to give bad feedback I was called today to be told it had been sent out as a cheque to my old address!!! The incompetence and lack of communication is so unprofessional. Choose another insurance company.

Didn’t really like it

not really reliable as I have to call them three times for my policy, wanted to cancel my policy charged me $30 for admin fees. Not happy and didn’t find as they even care about the customers.

Poor Service

I took out ANZ home and contents insurance after glowing reviews from "Choice". This company uses a Philippines call centre who then refer you to a centralised contractor in another state who then gets a local in your state to quote on the repair. The process is far too long requiring the customer to keep following up. In the end I gave up and just obtained a pay out to go and arrange a repairer myself. ANZ is just and agent for QBE insurance and on the basis of my poor experience I recommend you look elsewhere.

Claim ApprovedYes
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Hi Vince, we're sorry to hear about this experience. We will PM you for some more details ~BLS

QBE Insurance dragging the chain on our claim

We have been insured with QBE via the ANZ bank since we purchased our home in late 2015. In late November last year, our upstairs bathroom was damaged in a severe storm, with water undermining the wall in our shower recess. Water also found its way into the floor cavity, causing some damage to the plaster ceiling in our kitchen. More than 3 months later we still have no resolution. Both the insurer's builder and a builder we engaged confirmed that the damage was so extensive that the entire bathroom needed to stripped out and relined. Our builder quoted $16000 for the work and an additional $6000 to replace & install bathroom fittings - toilet, basin etc. The insurer's builder came back with a quote for just over $8000 excluding fittings but acknowledging they may need to be replaced. After taking out excess, QBE offered us a settlement of just over $7000. QBE acknowledged their builder supplied a quote based on a discount rate, which is meaningless to us, because that builder said they would not be able to guarantee the work. We have demanded QBE revise its offer.

Claim DateNovember 2018

QBE INSURANCE IS UNREASONABLE

Our house roof got damaged by the recent storm. QBE inspected the issue and informed me that they have declined the claim as it was "a pre-existing damage". THIS IS TOTALLY UNREASONABLE ! If they keep using this as reason to reject claims, then every claim can be rejected.
My house has rented out to the current tenant for more than 4 years and never have water leaking issue from the rooftop to the ceiling until the storm arrives.

I have purchased my insurance via ANZ and they use QBE to handle my claim, while QBE hire Johns Lyng Group to assess the issue. I have spoken to one of the QBE staff but his manner is not nice at all, keep asking me how I can prove it is not pre-existing damage and said my claim doesn't make sense to him.
To me, his response is completely nonsense to me. The rooftop never has water leaking in many years before, isn't it enough to prove the rooftop is in good condition previously? Not mentioning that I have also provide evidence from Government to prove there is storm on that particular days together with the tenants email, photos and video clip to show the leaking.
We never know when incident will happen, that's why we buy insurance. As long as the damage is not done on purpose, such as weather issue, then I believe the damage should be covered.

According to my friend, Terri Scheer is much better and he got his ceiling and rooftop repaired which is damaged by the storm in just 2 weeks. This is a good lesson to all of us that it's time to change because your insurance is not going to cover anything.

Claim ApprovedNo
Hi Chris, we're sorry to hear about this. Have you referred this to our complaints department for review? https://www.qbe.com/au/about/governance/complaints ~BLSThanks for your quick response. Please let me know which email I should lodge my complain. info@afca.org.au ? complaints@qbe.com?

Devastated and shocked

We have contents only policy with QBE since we are tenants. Recently our ceiling collapsed causing damage to our contents. However, QBE denied our claim using the loophole of an existing roof issue. This is unjust since we have taken out an insurance to protect our belongings despite the condition of the house we rent.
Another problem was the time frame it took. The initial assessor was keen to have the contents looked at quickly since the longer the stains are there, the harder to repair. It took a total of 3 weeks for the claim to be processed and then denied, with an appeal process taking another 10 business days.
As a tenant I was forced to contact the landlord about the ceiling report, since the value of the claim was high, which is what led to QBE then denying it. This should not be a factor, since my policy is for contents only and is independent of the building. Also the cost should be irrelevant since we are paying a premium based on the contents covered.
In the email it wasn't specified why exactly it was denied except that 'the roof had damage', but no mention of the PDS or specific section.
We pay a premium for accidental damage and would believe that this would come into effect in this case, since the owners certainly didn't collapse the ceiling on purpose.
Extremely disappointed with the outcome and the whole claim process.

Coverage TypeContents Only
Property TypeDuplex
Type of ClaimImpact at Home
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateFebruary 2019
Hi Adam, we're sorry to hear about this. You can refer this to our complaints department for review https://www.qbe.com/au/about/governance/complaints ~BLS

lying halfwits

take your money and then when u claim they send loss adjusters and assessors that dont know anything about your car or how to access anything but diddly squat see you in court QBE this is one company you will loose against never ever again will i trust you ripoffs who dont listen or care about anything but filling your own pockets 2 in pendant trades people disagree with your out comes strongly absolute ripoff NEVER AGAIN

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Lindsay, thank you for your review. You can refer this to our Customer Care team on https://www.qbe.com/au/about/governance/complaints ~BLS

Not a sudden water leak

We are insured by Australian Unity/QBE for building and contents.
We discovered water in the base of a linen cupboard. Further investigation by a plumber determined our shower base had developed a leak around the seal with water escaping under the base and into the cupboard about 5 meters away. Further investigation showed water was moving under the floor to other areas of the house and had created mould on some internal walls and we had moisture content upto 40% in some internal walls.
When we made a claim on our household insurance QBE sent around two groups to investigate, one said there was no pipe leak and the other said it was a shower base leak that started between 6 and 12 months earlier. QBE then told us we were not covered at all as they only cover sudden water leaks not those that occur over time.
We challenged this through the QBE claims team and then through the Insurance Ombudsman and we were constantly told the cover we bought only covers sudden leaks as noted in the PDS.
The whole bathroom needed to be gutted due to water damage with a total cost to us of close to $35,000 and we got nothing from QBE.
As we are always told with insurance, read the PDS to see what you are covered for before you buy insurance, but as a consumer I did not know what the future claim/s would be and we thought we would be covered for such an event.
We are now changing from QBE (that feels good), but most policies I have looked at also use the word sudden in many instances for water leaks etc.
We have used this experience to question cover of other insurance companies and the sales staff always say the same thing - oh yes if you were with us you would have had cover for a leak like that, but we would not fix the item that caused the leak but would fix the end result. The sales teams and the claims teams are not connected when it comes to insurance and the sales teams all cover themselves by saying just read the PDS to check, and when I do there is often the word sudden hidden in the document somewhere, or in others as, within 72 hours of it happening.
Really our experience with the whole insurance claim process has left us feeling very dejected.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi John, thanks for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience. We note that you have been through the process with FOS, but we will be sure to pass this feedback on ~BLS

5 Stars

We have QBE through our ANZ home insurance agreement. We had an expensive CCTV security system ruined in a storm. Approval was a bit slow, but QBE covered the entire cost, minus the excess. Very pleased.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi AJ, thank you for letting us know about your experience, we're glad we were able to sort it out for you ~BLS

Car accident

I have just had this insurance company for 5 months when i bought the car of my dreams - I have to ring them everyday with answers of "we don't know"" It wasn't my fault but they keep insisting I have to pay the excess even though the other party have admitted fault - I am taking it to the ombudsman as this is not good enough!!

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Leah, we're sorry to hear about this. We will reply to your PM and try and sort this out ~BLS

Insured one year with no claim. 54% Premium increase

I carried homeowners insurance with QBE. Got a good rate from them so I switched from AAA. I had no claims over that year. Got the renewal statement and my premiums went up over $1500! 54% higher than the year before with no claims! I called to find out what happened and they said they would review and get back to me. Heard nothing from them except another statement for same amount. Nope. I switched again. They'll attract you with a good rate then jerk the rug out from under you.

Insurance claim madeNo
Hi Darrell, we're sorry to hear about this. From your mention of AAA this appears to be a QBE North America policy. While this page is for QBE Australia, we will PM you for some details and pass this back to them ~BLS

The Worst Home Insurance Company in the World!

WARNING: Please DO NOT get QBE Home Insurance!
Our house roof got damaged by the recent storm. QBE took a month to get back to me and informed me that they have declined the claim as it was "a pre-existing damage". How ABSURD and RUBBISH!
There was no water leaking before. I live in a victorian terrace which has been their for decades! I cannot believe that highly unprofessional

Johns Lyng Group were hired by QBE to do an assessment - a company who were highly unprofessional company who were unreliable and liars from day one.

When I asked the QBE staff to put me through to the "Complaints Team" I was told:
"the customer service are inundated with a lot of calls" and they have refused to take any calls. This just proves that QBE is very unpopular I guess!

The Claims assessment officer I spoke to was [Name Removed]. Staff number: QNWMEM

The QBE staff refused to have me discuss the concerns with QBE's senior management when I clearly requested to get in touch with certain individual(s).

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi I N, we're sorry to hear about your experience. We will PM you for some details ~BLS

QBE House and contents.

QBE top marks for the worst insurance if you want your worst night mare go with QBE they are terrible
we at to get the ministry of fair trading involved to get it sough ted out they will just turn any thing down.
The Lady claims officer she was the head clown for QBE do your self a favor and go with another insurance unless you like a lot of pain and suffering you will end up with a nervous breakdown QBE they are a joke and if you like talking a call centre in Manila it will take for ever to get Done QBE they are a complete joke.
and the joke will be on you.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Martin, sorry to hear that. We've sent you a private message where you can provide your contact details and claim number. ~SS

The most appallingly terrible insurance company ever!!!

We have a penthouse on Hamilton Island that was effected by Cyclone Debbie on 28th March 2017. The cyclone did minimal damage to our apartment but the QBE appointed rectifiers, Johns Lyng Group have destroyed with the blessing of QBE our apartment's fixtures and fittings, both internally and externally. QBE have rejected our claims for rectification of the damaged and destroyed bathrooms, cabinetry, doors, windows, mirrors, floor and wall tiles, appliances and artificial grass, The senior management of QBE are totally disinterested. We have submitted expert reports which QBE have either not responded, ignored or QBE have made ridiculous outrageous and unsubstantiated conclusions that contradict the submitted at great expense expert's reports. We are around $500,000 out of pocket because of QBE's complicit destruction of our apartment and not accepting responsibility. We have also forwarded to QBE videos and photographs to substantiate our claim. We have visited QBE and spoken to their senior management without success. We have written numerous emails to QBE without success. We have called them numerous times without success. We have come to the conclusion that QBE's policy is to take your premiums but never payout even when presented with irrefutable evidence that supports your claim. A company solely motivated by avarice, profit and greed and without a scent of ethics or morality. We have forwarded our valid claim to FOS and we are awaiting their response.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Norby, I believe we have already tried to get some details from you via Private Message to look into this, however if this has gone to FOS, then we can't offer assistance via this channel as it needs to go through that process. ~BLSBLS, your response is regrettably disingenuous, is blatantly untrue and is unfortunately very typical of the way that QBE operates. Our AFCA reference Case 603892 and you are free to talk or correspond with us as you may wish. We refer you to Jennifer Hunter on 1800931678 from AFCA. We quote from her email (AFCA) "we allow QBE an opportunity to resolve your complaint with you directly." We have yet to receive any response from QBE to my 01.11.18 email to your Tammy Bennett and Nicole Platt, including your response to the 81 page Intertile Research Report Pty Ltd we submitted that substantiates unequivocally our claim. Both these ladies have our contact details and as you have our QBE claim number (181031) it would be very easy for you to resolve our outstanding legitimate claim. Cyclone Debbie struck around 28th March 2017. Regards NorbyHi Norby, yes this is correct, you can speak with our complaint department regarding this (details can be found here - https://www.qbe.com/au/about/governance/complaints) as this is part of the process, but as stated previously, we cannot provide further assistance via Product Review ~BLS

If you are thinking of taking our an insurance policy with QBE don’t

If there was a zero star I would give QBE a zero.

You put in a claim. QBE sent you an email with the contact details of the claim officer. You call the (02) number and guess what it a call centre. You have to constantly call QBE for updates of your claim.

Construct Services (QBE subcontractor who does the assessment) did not even climb into the roof cavity to undertake the inspection.

The site report was riddle with errors like carpet on ceilings. My house the carpet was on the floor. The engineer who contract to undertake the inspection told me he was from Structerre when he was from ICPS Australia and got my house plan back to front. The crack ceilings was in the kitchen / family room ar the back of the house not at the front of the house. Who property did he inspect?

After over 45 days of farting around and many wasteful hours on the phone with QBE I finally spoke to the case officer who ran me at 4.30pm on Friday that my claim was rejected.

To top it off she then tells me that as my claim has been krejected I now have to pay for QBE getting Makesafe (the two clowns from Fremantle) who supposedly came to secure my ceiling from collapsing instead gave me 20 extra holes in the ceilings because they could not find the ceiling joists.

I told the claim officer that it is I who should be charging QBE for the extrac holes that I now must get a plasterer in to fix because the clowns that QBE has sent to secure my ceilings. The claim officer could not back peddle fast enough to end the telephone call with me.

QBE complaint department is a BIG FAT joke. QBE first line of defence is an internal investigation, once again you are assigned a complaint officer, you never hear from and they you get a call on Saturday morning telling you that they had a look at the two reports and that they have found nothing wrong with the reports. When you ask him a question about the report he could not tell you. That because he is the clown that was given the job to call you out of blue to tell you that they have investigated you complaint when they have done nothing. They then tell you that they escalate your complaint to an independent party to investigate your complaint. This supposedly independent party is another department within QBE. I asked the QBE officer to please explain how is this is independent when he or she is an employee of QBE.

The moral of the story is, if you are not happy with QBE ‘s inactions with your claim and your complaint, send your complaint to Financial Ombudsman Services (FOS) because for every complaint FOS has to investigate QBE has pay for the investigation and the investigation probably cost them at least $5000 in labour.

Even though my claim was rejected I was so satisfied that I complained to the FOS.

Insurance claim madeYes
We're sorry to hear about your experience, and thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We've passed this back to the necessary teams for review. ~BLS

Unethical company

There is an old saying that insurance is only good when you need it and after being a longtime customer with not only home but also car insurance for many years i finally got to find out how good or in this case how bad they actually are. After having the roof leak from severe weather conditions and causing ceiling damage i contacted qbe to lodge a claim. After getting a accessor out to view the damage they decided that only the ceiling would be repaired which makes no sense given the damage would only reoccur if the roof was not fixed first. They then decided to send another accessor out and then after a month of a leaking roof as it was our wet season they decided they weren't going to cover anything. This decision was only reached after constant contact on my behalf as they weren't willing to contact with an undate. It just appeared that they were taking as long as possible and had absolutely no desire to pay and were just looking for an excuse not to pay. Save your money and avoid this company because when you need them they certainly won't be there.

Insurance claim madeYes
Hi Jason, we're sorry to hear about your experience. You can escalate this to our Customer Care team on complaints@qbe.com ~BLS