Rinnai Ultima II

Rinnai Ultima II

Inbuilt, Console

Electric and Gas Heaters Buying Guide

With the chilly season just around the corner, a room heater can be just the thing to keep you cosy. Read on for more information on how to strike a match with the best heaters for your home space, lifestyle and budget.

Read now

2.2

• Heating Speed2/5 - 5/5 (5)
  • Temperature Consistency
  • Safety
  • Smells of GasYes (0) · No (5)

steveCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Piece of crap

In approximately 5 /12 years have now had to replace combustion fan twice (gone again), circuit board and candles numerous times. seems like every 18 months-2 years something major/expensive goes. Sick off it. Cost enough to buy in first place then even with servicing every year, costing anywhere up to $600-$800 every time something goes wrong.

steve

Have replied to your email, perhaps this time you will respond unlike previous experience where you asked for information and l heard nothing back after it.

Simon

SimonGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

No problems running it over 2 years

I have had no problems with this heater and love it. I keep it running pretty much all winter (I turn it down to 16c overnight) It pretty much heats up my 2 bedroom unit at a fraction of the cost that ducted would have cost me.

Purchased in May 2016 at Mr. Gassman.

Trab

TrabMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Amazing heater

This heater replaced a Vulcan Heritage which had done quite a good job heating quite a large room but had come to the end of it's life. The Rinnai Ultima 2 was one of the only heaters which would fit in the same opening but after reading the mostly negative reviews we were not too sure. We read reviews on their other models and they were all positive so we went ahead and purchased the Ultima 2. It was the best decision we made. It heats the room perfectly and is vastly more efficient than our old Vulcan. It is set at 20 degrees and the entire room is always at that temp. Our gas bills are also far less. I can only assume that the problem that resulted in so many negative reviews has been corrected by Rinnai.

Purchased in August 2019.

Error code 90

Purchased in June 2018 for A$3,290.00.

Neville

I have not received any private message from Rinnai.

Neville

The only message I received from Rinnai was asking me for the Model and serial number of my unit this I have send. Rinnai have not contacted me to discuss the matter.

Service 90 error codes.

Service 90 error codes frequently displayed, just over two years old and now out of warrenty. Can't opperate above 21C or cuts out, even when functioning correctly did not heat effectively. 5 stars for safety though as it cuts off frequently.

Purchased in May 2017 for A$2,600.00.

Leonie WCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Does Not Heat

Replaced an older Vulcan Heritage Heater with the Rinnai Ultima II - and simply it does not heat anything. You can be standing 2 feet in front of it and there is not warmth. After 8 weeks of phoning every second day and trying to get something sorted with Rinnai, they now tell me that it would never be able to heat the room that it is in and therefore I need something more powerful. The Vulcan used to heat the room and the Rinnai is meant to be more efficient with greater capacity.

Purchased in October 2018 at Local Electrical & Solar Services for A$3,400.00.

Leonie W

Sorry, cannot provide details as I have returned the unit to the supplier

FedUpGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Total junk

Worst choice ever.
I replaced an very old but very reliable Rinnai and have been driven crazy with '90' errors ever since.
Call out costs are impossible on a pension so I carefully cleaned the dust out every few months only to gain a few more months of operation - a ridiculously tedious and unfriendly process. Now it's error code 14 and with the current cost of gas I'm giving up. This overly sensitive technology might survive in squeaky clean parts of Japan but just doesn't cut it in Australia.

Purchased in March 2013.

FedUp

The fan was already replaced and we can't afford more service calls. I have zero faith that my problems would be resolved. Feeling a little sorry for you guys trying to support a real lemon.

A lemon, unit never worked for longer than a month. Rinnai know this unit has major defects no customer service

The heater has major problem and constantly comes up with an error which the company fully knows about, and has failed to address.
It has never functioned from the time of installment.

Purchased in April 2013 at The Good Guys for A$2,179.00.

Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thanks for the review Ron, there has been upgrade to the Ultima II heater which resolves the issue with error 12. Please contact Rinnai on 1300 555 545 option 2 for service if this is the issue you are facing.

Error code 12

Had constant errors (usually code 12 or 13) since warranty period finished. When it works its great but this is getting less and less common. Difficult to start when needed therefore tend to leave on more than necessary. Many others have this same problem. This is a known defect. Difficult to recommend.

Date PurchasedJul 2013
Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thank you for your review privacyit. Please forward an email to enquiry@rinnai.com.au and we will be able to assist with this issue.

Waste of money

Date PurchasedApr 2013

Jacqui sMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Terrible

So regret buying this piece of crap have had nothing but trouble have to keep pulling it apart to dust off sensor for getting to much dust and it won’t ignite. First time it happened was first year of warranty we got it fixed. Then it kept happening and every 3 weeks dust gets built up and it won’t ignite. I’m so annoyed it’s only three years old now. Don’t waste your money.

Date PurchasedMar 2015
Jacqui s

Well I did send an email three weeks ago I’m still waiting for a response

Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thank you Jaqui S, please resend your email mentioning this review and we will be able to assist you.

Steve

SteveLavington

Very happy

Only had the heater 3 months. It heats our open plan house very well wich I didn't think a space heater could do.We had a gas log heater before this and it was useless. Very happy so far.Maybe some of the problems people are having is from poor installation. Thanks

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thanks for the review Steve, we are happy to hear the heater is serving you well. Correct installation is certainly a very important element to ensuring the correct running of any heater.

This heater is money making for rinnai

I had to replace a piece of glass that I had accidentally broken as i was cleaning. Rinnai did not want to supply me with the glass because i do not have an account with them so they suggested me to go to plumbing supplies and it cost me $245 for a glass that is 555mm x 225mm

Date PurchasedJul 2015
Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thanks for review Enver. As a manufacturer we cannot sell direct to the public which is why you would have been referred to one of our stockists. We do not set a retail price for spare parts and recommend shopping around for the best price.

StandUp

StandUpMelbourne

Good when it works, frustrating & cold when it doesn't

Date PurchasedJan 2016

good heater

Had heater installed for a week. heats beautifully. I replaced a 30 year old rinnai that worked fine but lacked the capacity of heating my raked ceiling home.
Not sure what people are complaining about with the temperature control mine starts up full blast as the room heats flame goes down ant it seems to keep a constant heat.
Only issue is the clock, too comlicated to set up the timer, finally managed to set the actual time and then gave up.
In summary heater is excellent and i would recommend it. Hopefully there are no gremlins lurking that have affected other referrs.
Also after readin the reviews against my better judgement i took out an extended warranty from the Good Guys at Hectorville who gave me an excellent price.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Renee B

Renee B

Piece of trash

Date PurchasedApr 2015
Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thanks for the review Renee B, we would like to investigate this matter further for you. Can you please email your details to enquiry@rinnai.com mentioning this review and we will be in contact.

ElvaCooma NSW

Just had the Ultima 11 installed on Friday 8th September 2017

I am having trouble getting the current temperature to stop rising, I have the heater on Gas/Econ with the Set button at 16, however the current temp keeps going up and tonight I was so hot when it reached 23 I had to turn the heater off. Any clues as to what I am doing wrong. A bit worried also by the lack of good reviews, I do hope that everything goes well with my new investment.

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thanks for the question Elva, we have a technical help desk which will be able to go through the operation of the heater with you and answer any questions you might have. They are available on 1300 555 545 option 3.

joda5084

joda5084Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

toasty heater

This to date is very good no problems and lots of heat quiet too no problems the timer is a little difficult to wrap your head around but no too hard to use when the power cuts out th clock needs to be reset but the timers stay set. You have to stay on top of cleaning the filters or codes can pop up I am told it takes some getting used to having the fan run when it is switched off to cool itself off.
Very Happy

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Ultima

Purchased the Ultima approx 3 years ago, has an error code 70 which I found out it's got something to do with a faulty switch. (would you believe it's only 3 years old) Called the Rinnai service dept, a tech will contact me within 24 hours (great I've got a 76 year old mother at home with no heating mid winter) and got quoted a call out fee of $190 that includes the first 45 minutes labour + parts, that's close to 10% of the purchase price just to come out. Dare I say this is a common problem. Buyer BEWARE.

Date PurchasedMay 2014

rinnai what a piece of crap

this heater spends more time on error codes than working I had a Vulcan for 30 years before this that never skipped a beat I would not recommend this heater to anyone the most unreliable fault ridden piece of equipment I have ever bought rinnai should hang their heads in shame for selling this to consumers will buy nothing with the rinnai brand on it ever again

Date PurchasedOct 2012
Rinnai A.Rinnai

Thanks for the review Wayne, we would like to look into to the issues you've had with the heater further. Can you please email your contact details to enquiry@rinnai.com.au mentioning this review and we will contact you to discuss?