Rip Curl Search GPS Watch

Rip Curl Search GPS Watch

See the Best Smart Watches / Fitness Trackers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Rip Curl? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Battery Life

Apple Watch - No Android - Blasphemy

Only Syncs with iPhone. Which ever pretentious jerk at Rip Curl decided that should have his head checked.
Really should be marketed as Apple Watch, not a rip curl watch. Boo to you. Boo.

Purchased in September 2021 at Surfstich for $400.00.

Disappointed surfer
Disappointed surferMurrumbidgee Region, NSW

Horrible customer service

I have had the GPS watch for less than a year when it stopped working. I have been trying to get hold of rip curl customer service with only automated responses. Save yourself lots of frustration. DO NOT buy this watch

Purchased in December 2020.

R.Nader
R.NaderNorthern Region, NSW

Customer Loyalty Sucks

Purchased for $399.00.

Terrible customer support

While this watch is fun to use while it is working, the customer service is non-existent. I used the watch for a while and had questions-no way to find out answers. Then, after 1 year, it stopped working. I sent it in to be repaired and they have had it for more than two months. You cannot communicate with a human being and all you get are canned emails telling you that you are a “rad customer” for being "so patient". Do not waste your money on this watch until they get their act together.

Purchased in January 2020 for $300.00.

Smart Watches / Fitness Trackers

Find out how Rip Curl Search GPS Watch compares to other Smart Watches / Fitness Trackers

Tom
TomGold coast

Glitchy at best. App is worse

Ive had my watch 6 years. I have the original. Ive had various problems in that time, all fixable until now. I had over 1000 waves on 2 boards that now says ive caught 20 instead. 6 years data down the gurgler. The support link on ripcurls own gps page does not go anywhere, emails to ripcurl support un-answered, messages to instagram un--answered and just this week a personnal email to " the watch guy " at rip curl and big suprise, no reply. The flat out refusal by ripcurl to not even give me a reply says to me they know their app is severely flawed. For the record if your getting close to 3000 waves on your watch expect the app to start wigging out.

Purchased in May 2014 at Rip Curl for $400.00.

NorthCoast
NorthCoastHunter Region, NSW

Good watch, ordinary battery life

The watch itself is cool- works well, never leaked. However if you get 18 months out of the battery you’re doing well. Likewise the wrist band- I’m about to post off the watch for the second replacement. I’ve been through two batteries as well. And that’s not using the stop watch function and the light only every now and then. My daughter’s version also made it to about 18 months before battery went. From talking to others this seems typical. Just a pain posting it off, coughing up more coin and not having it for a couple of weeks. I have another digital watch, with very simple functions, however it’s been going for about 15 years. I think Rip Curl would do well improving the battery life. And the longevity of the wrist bands.

Purchased in October 2015 for $250.00.

BJ50
BJ50PERTH

Not worth the price

Band broke after 3 months and was advised by Ripcurl the band is not covered under warranty.

Also was advised prior to purchase by ripcurl via email an android app was in development and wouldnt be far away. 1 year later when contacted again they said they are no longer producing an app and have no plans to in the future. Will say what you want to hear to make a sale.

Purchased in January 2018.

Top 5 Smart Watch Brands for Women

Smart Watches are a convenient and stylish way for women to keep track of their health, socialise with friends and family, and stay organised amid the business of life. Now there are more smart watches designed for women than ever before.

Isabella G.
Isabella G.30 Nov 2020
top-5-smart-watch-brands-for-women
Dr Chicken McNugget
Dr Chicken McNuggetSunshine Coast

Great watch

Awesome watch it does exactly as advertised, the app is great and is easy to navigate. The watch itself has a long battery life in between charges and is easy to charge. It fits well and is very comfortable, light and easy to operate it also reads easy while in the surf.

DamoSouth Coast WA

A great watch for surfers.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Angus SSydney, NSW

Well.....Lets hope that the new Search GPS 2 due out in October is a vast improvement...

I have had mine for around 3 years and I do love the functionality of the watch. But.......I have had mine back in for repairs 7 times... and it has been fully replaced twice!!! I have been advised that I am the unluckiest owner in the ...WORLD!! It was fully replaced 18 months ago and started to leak water 4 months ago. Just been advised by Rip Curl that it is out of warranty and will cost me $249 to get repaired. Told them to forget it.
I will wait for the new version to come out and give it a go. I certainly hope that it is a vast improvement on my last one....
The team at Surfection in Mosman where I purchased it from have been fantastic in dealing with this issue.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Didn’t even last 12 months

This is an expensive watch. The band broke within the first several weeks and the watch stopped working yesterday (after a battery change). Rip curls returns policy is so difficult (not the first watch we have had to return) we can’t be bothered and will just go with another brand next time

Date PurchasedSept 2017
Oscar
Oscar

Need a lot of improvement

The watch is not build to last the rubber band is really fragile and the bad news is that is only one piece with the watch.

The other problem is the accuracy of the data provided, it’s really off.

Also I had a problem with the watch trying to locate signal.

It is a really good idea but unfortunately it wasn’t well designed.

Gary Burns
Gary BurnsMid West, WA

Best watch I’ve ever owned

I really don’t know why there is so many negative reviews about this watch, it’s awesome. I’ve had mine for 3 1/2 years and it’s still going strong. It’s a game changer. I can look back on every surf I’ve had in the past 3 1/2 yrs. Ripcurl are really fair and helpful if you have a problem to. 10 out of 10

Date PurchasedDec 2014

Worst watch I have ever had!!!

Do not buy one of these overpriced, basic, horrible watches. It is all just a gimmic disguised as a watermans watch. For $500 I would expected a lot more watch, its junk! The GPS feature never works, for a wetsuit company that prides itself on its rubber the rubber around the face of the watch is disgraceful and rips and deteriorates at the slightest bump. What ever you do look elsewhere and DONT buy one of these pieces of crap. I contacted Rip Curl about the band but apparently it isn't covered under warranty. Absolute Joke! Buy a watch from a watch company!!!!

Rowan
RowanBalgowlah, NSW

Rip Curl Tidemaster 2 - a surfing watch that is clearly NOT capable of going in the water

Garry
Garryasked

Distance accuracy of my Rip Curl surf watch appears fine for running & cycling. When swimming, however, it seems to overestimate the distance by over 30%. Am I doing something wrong or is this just a shortcoming of the watch?

Luke Davies
Luke Daviesasked

Is there a app for android that will sync with my watch or does it need to be a I phone

Hi, not that I am aware of. Cheers

Angus S

I have only used mine on the iPhone

Damo

I have access on my iphone and a windows laptop so im sure there's an android app for it

will will
will willasked

I am interested to know about the accuracy of the GPS. On occasion I have used the playback feature on the app. As it tracks me, on about 4 of my waves I appear to have caught the wave out to sea, as it shows me paddling towards the shore with the white line and then turns in to a blue line and heads out to sea, why is that happening? Also it showed I caught 36 waves at least 15 of which were over 150metres, best surf of my life that I never recall happening!

Damo

I've never experienced these issues. Accuracy and function have alas been fine with mine

CategorySmart Watches / Fitness Trackers