7Rover Regal

3.2
3.4
3.4
3.8
Brand Manager for Rover? Claim your listing.

Leeanne
LeeanneHunter Region, NSW23 posts

Constantly replacing cables

Nice mower though I seem to be constantly changing the clutch cable, way too much tension. Also clutch cable keeps popping through cheap plastic wall thats supposed to hold the cable in place, had to make up metal bracket to hold it in place. Also no way you can connect a hose for cleaning, connector is under motor Show details
jacki h.
jacki h.Hobart, TAS

Great mower

Have had my rover for 8 years.
Have never had a problem. Starts every time. I have three lawns that I mow regularly, have severe arthritis which is why I bought the mower in the first place can't complain Show details
RobKNorthern Region, NSW12 posts
  Verified Key Start

So far so good after 6 years

I have had the Rover OHV 800 key start (not self propelled) for 6 years. As mentioned in other reviews, it is a heavy mower to push around, especially hilly and tight places. I haven't had any troubles mechanically and the battery is still the original. It is a pain to remove for charging. If there was access to the battery tabs it would be no hassle. Changing the oil is a nuisance as there is no crankcase drain plug. Have to suck it out with a hand syringe. So, not really much else to say. Show details
Tarbet B.
Tarbet B.6 posts

Very good

Works well, starts every time , couple of pulls no priming, Doesnt like long grass and blocks . but after about 4 years was stuck in gear. traced it to a mechanism behind a shield where the grass box fits. Was full of old cuttings and corroded the lever, Even though cleaned after every use. Spent about 1 hour with wd40 and moving the lever back and forth until released fully the packed grease round it. would suggest every season doing this to prevent siezure. Blades cheap from ebay and easy to change, although if handy I refinish them. a good mower. Bit expensive BUT an alloy body so no rust, damp grass blocks easily. Show details
scottt
scottt3 posts

Built cheaply

Mower is just over 2 years old and this happened. Just built so cheaply- would not recommend. Frustrating to spend a lot of money and it is not reliable and breaks down so easily. Show details
Chockies
ChockiesHawthorn4 posts
  Mulch N Catch

Always starts - no worries at all

I am a definite mistreater of mowers. I don't like gardening but I live in the suburbs so I have no choice!! This means that there are long period where this mower doesn't get used until my wife makes me (lol). It always starts, usually first time too. Its solid but still easy to move around and has a plastic bumper bar at the front which does a good job of absorbing impacts. I cant really fault this at all. The only improvements I can think of would be to do away with the run saftey bar - it just annoys me and perhaps a better catcher design because i always end up with fine grass blown on me with the present one.

55Fury
55FuryMelbourne4 posts

Great Mower Cuts Nicely

I have had this coming on a year now and get a little kick out of using it every time. It always starts easily and runs very smoothly. Apart from changing the oil I have done no maintenance at all to it. I get a lovey clean cut with this and it feels like it could run all day. The catcher works well and all in all lawn day is easy with this mower.

Silvers57
Silvers57Melbourne4 posts

Very Reliable Mower

This always starts no matter what. I am extremely impressed with it. It runs at fixed revs which I don't love but it works OK. I get a good consistent cut from it and it chomps through overly long grass without too many problems too. I occasionally have to manually clear the chute to the catcher but thats it for issues. It is a reliable workhorse and I am pleased with it.

frosty_1
frosty_1Melbourne4 posts

Good mower - Need One Or Two Improvements

This mower has been a reliable since they day we got it. Starts first time every time and consistently does just what I expect. I am careful to use fuel stabiliser though as petrol sitting in a mower's tank is the biggest cause of problems.

One thing that disappointed me from day one and that was the catcher. I can't believe they use these cheaply constructed versions compared to the solid old Victa style I grew up with.

Its about three years old and I do get a puff of oil smoke when starting if left sitting for a long time but it always starts. It cuts well although I would like to be able to set it one step lower than available.

This is a reliable, well built mower that just needs a few improvements to be excellent

Albinus
AlbinusDarling Downs, QLD95 posts
  Mulch N Catch

Robust, but does have some shortfalls

I originally purchased this mower when I had a lawn mowing business and one of my main ones was awaiting parts. Was only ever planned to be a temporary addition and stopgap but this model surprised me. Even though I no longer mow lawns for a living I still own it.

Good: Stupidly simple mechanically, reliable and easily maintained engine. Starts easily and effortlessly. Four blades give a very nice cut. Mulching plug is a nice option. Spares readily available.

Bad: Plastic cowling deteriorates quickly. Annoying safety bar, can't empty catcher while on unless you override the mechanism (I've modified the throttle). Extremely heavy for its size and engine output that makes mowing sloping blocks challenging.

larrya
larryaSouth East Queensland, QLD78 posts
  11A-E1LB333

Rover Mulch & Catch - easy start and lots of power

We are very happy with this pull start mower - lots of power, easy starting and burns very little petrol compared to my old Victa 2 stroke! I like the mulch feature which works well. Still very happy after 2 years of using it, we've had no problems at all.

Cookie
Cookie
  Self Propelled

Early days had for 3 months , so far great mover , no key start but has self propelled feature, happ

Great so far had 3 months purchased new here in Adelaide for $599 no key start just self propelled, great size catcher and happy with warranty offered on mower ..

Happy with cut , mower easy enough to manoeuvre, and of course self propelled makes life mowing easy as ... Would recommend....

Gert
Gert

Bitterly disappointed

I purchased this mower to help me continue to mow my own lawns and nature strip in my retirement instead I now have bilateral shoulder pain much worse than my previous "pull start shoulder". I am upset with myself for being so stupid to believe that this mower would be a breeze to use and I could expect to mow my lawns for many years to come. Wrong! I will have to retire and maybe pay someone to use the mower but it surely won't be me.

bob
bobIllawarra, NSW2 posts

Have had 3 rovers before, bought key start. mulcher 800

A very badly balanced mower, too much weight on rear wheels so if you mow up very slight incline you bust your back pushing. Also no adjustment on push handle key start switch is crap as they are so flimsy (cheap). Purchased mower from Days mowers NOWRA, they said they needed 3 days to fix under warranty, to drop off and pick up required 120 km return trip bought new switch fitted in 5 mins that lasted 3 weeks. No more rovers for me!

mick
mick
  Key Start

absolute rubbish really not happy

i picked up my brand new rover regal keystart self propelled mower today, bought it home and yes it wont propel. now I am stuck with it and you have to pump the air into it just to start the mower. at 750 dollars is just not worth the money, starting to wish I bought the dearer Honda. Oh and rover why don't you advertise it was made in china.