A great smartphone

I wanted a second smartphone to use when overseas (with a separate SIM), and the Galaxy A8 ticked all the boxes for me. The camera quality is very good, the display is great, and everything about it suited my needs. Frankly, at this price, I can't see why I would need any other smartphone.

Purchased in February 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $590.00.

Software

Good, but I miss my iPhone.

I chose samsung because of the price/value for money. It's a great size and lightweight. But it's not as easy to use as iPhone. Some of the apps don't seem to work as well as in iPhone.

Purchased in July 2019 at Optus.

Software

Perfect for my first smartphone

The main reason I upgraded to a smartphone was to use while travelling. There are many excellent features so this phone is exactly what I needed for internet, email and useful apps. The upgraded operating system is well structured for navigation around the phone. This model seems to be almost as good as the top of range models but comes at a far more reasonable price.

Purchased in May 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Online Store for $549.00.

Software
Hi Michael, we're glad to hear that you are enjoying the A8. If you require any assistance with setting up your device, please feel free to reach out to us. Jo Samsung AU

decent price and easy to use.

phone is pretty good and battery life is pretty impressive. bought this phone in October last year and never had any issues with it. why pay $1200 for a phone when u can get a brand new phone for half the price and does the same job.

Purchased in October 2018 at Harvey Norman for $600.00.

not bad!

I've been using this phone over a year and a half. I'm quite satisfied with the camera quality but sometimes it could be affected by lighting when you take a picture outside.
apps to run smoothly but it's not suitable for playing a game with this phone.

Purchased in February 2018 for $500.00.

Samsung are pretty great

I really like Samsungs, they are easy to use, have good battery life etc. Just wouldn't mind something with a slightly better camera. Great screen, and good for it's price. Not too big and still looks nice and slim. Great quality.

Purchased in October 2018.

Great Samsung Phone

The Samsung Galaxy A8 is a perfect mid range phone. It functions as very well. The camera is great. Easy to hold in one hand - not too big. Has a thin slick appearance and has a quality feel to it. The fingerprint scanner on the rear is a good place to have it. Very fast start up times.

Purchased in December 2018.

Software
This is what we love to hear! We’re glad to hear you’re enjoying your Samsung Galaxy A8 and thank you for leaving your positive feedback. If you have any questions, you can reach out via Facebook- please ensure to copy and paste your product review in a private message to us. > m.me/SamsungAustralia Mick Samsung AU

Accused by Samsung for dropping the phone

I had the Samsung A 8 for 2 weeks, took it out off my handbag and the screen was cracked like a road map, as it is on a plan took it back to Opus, they went all over it and said well you have not dropped it my answer to them was NO, took it to Samsung store, they accused me of dropping it, and wanted $250 to fix the screen, my reply to them was NO, I have had my other phone for 2 and a Half years in the same place in my bag and had no problem, think Samsung need to get their act together.

Purchased in April 2019.

Thanks for reaching out to us, we’re really sorry to hear of the experience you've had so far. We’d be more than happy to investigate further into this – Our best point of contact is to send us a PM on Facebook with a copy of this review and some more information. > m.me/SamsungAustralia Mick Samsung AUHi Mick, Sorry am unable to send this to facebook, is there another way I can get to you.Hi Margaret, just to let you know, we have sent you a private message for further information. We recommend for you to keep an eye out on your inbox. Jo Samsung AU

Smashing Mid-Range Droid Packs a Vibrant Punch

Ovverall a very reliable Phone for day to day use.
Gorgeous Amoled Screen is a perfect media powerhouse!
Camera is a bit lacking but front camera is the better one of those.
System memory can get an issue so an SD card does the trick.
Amazing UI and general use. Doesn't lag in heavy use conditions.
Looks sleak and durable and very very pocket friendly.
3.5/5

Purchased in March 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $468.00.

Great phone

Very satisfied with the phone. Perfect for my needs and has everything I want. t
The apps run smoothly and the display is very clear. Has fast downloading and takes perfect pictures on the camera.

Purchased in March 2019 at The Good Guys for $455.00.

SAMSUNG mobile phone OS upgrades to PIE

After upgrading from Oreo to PIE the battery drained quickly and the mobile data and wi-fi ran at 1/10th of the speed under Oreo. I reset Mobile data settings, contacted Samsung support who were friendly but a lot of their phones are getting this issue. After two factory default attempts there is no improvement. PUT OUT A PATCH SAMSUNG.

Purchased in April 2019 for $500.00.

Software
I’m really sorry to hear of the experience you've had so far with us, and that we didn't meet your expectations. If you wish to discuss this further, our best point of contact is to send us a PM on Facebook with a copy of this review and some more information. > m.me/SamsungAustralia Mick Samsung AU

Good value for the phone. Love it.

The value of money is very good. The camera on the day time is excellent but the weakness is camera at night time. The rest I am happy with my phone.

Purchased in January 2018 for $800.00.

Speaker issues since purchase - Samsung did not fix

Purchased in August 2018. The speaker is terrible and distorts sound when listening to music, during phone calls and even when playing auto noises such as the sound played when plugged in. This issue is not constant but happens on a regular basis. Sent away to Samsung to fix and they couldn't find the issue. So now stuck with a phone that is barely usable.

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Tried to discuss this with Samsung before publishing this review but it has been over a month since I provided them with the details and they have not responded.Hi Dan, I'm sorry to hear that this has not been resolved. We've sent you a PM requesting more information. When its most convenient for you can you please send that through? You can also reach out via Facebook- please ensure to copy and paste your product review in a private message to us. > m.me/SamsungAustralia Lisa Samsung AU

Samsung A8

After being a Samsung lover for years, I thought it was time to upgrade. I walked into the Optus shop (usually I just do this over the phone and wait for my new phone in the mail), and after seeing the A8 I loved it. Everything I want inn a phone and not too big. Battery life excellent.

Purchased in February 2019 at Optus.

Software
This is what we like to hear! We’re glad to hear you’re enjoying your Samsung Galaxy A8 and thank you for leaving your positive feedback :) If you have any questions, you can also reach out via Facebook- please ensure to copy and paste your product review in a private message to us. > m.me/SamsungAustralia Mick Samsung AUStill loving it

Cheap version of Galaxy S8

The Samsung A8 is basically a cut down version of the flagship Galaxy S8. It is a decent business phone, fast and reliable that you'd expect from Samsung.
The camera quality is noticably worse than the S8 counterpart, but at half the price, it's about what you'd expect.
Speed and memory-wise it's slightly slower than the S8 but again, using it for work purposes (phone, sms and email) it is hardly noticable

Purchased in April 2018 at Optus.

5 stars

I love this phone. Purchased on the weekend and very happy. I love the crisp images and beautiful photos it takes. Awesome apps, extremely easy to get content from old phone and generally a great looking device. Am happy that it is water and dust proof. Slim design and easy to set up.

Date PurchasedFeb 2019

Great phone to use! Very reliable

With strong and capable hardware. Not high-end but very reliable to use. The camera app work smartly and easy to switch between modes. Browsing is smooth and effortless. VoIP works well and the battery life is very good for a phone with so many functions.

Purchased in October 2018.

A few issues

This phone is a great phone love the camera, the feel of it and the design but there is one thing that really puts me down is that snapchat glitches all the time I've never had this problem before only on this phone I have an s so have other people. so if samsung fixes this samsung glitch I will be happy and would rate it a five stars

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Phone has been great

I have had the A8 for over a month now and find it to be an easy to operate phone with all the features of the Galaxy phones. Camera is fantastic and extra features are very helpful. The only issue with the phone is that I find it to be a lot heavier than the Galaxy phones. Overall a good general phone.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Dont buy Galaxy A8 phone - full of problems

Phone has factory reset itself on numerous occasions. First time it happened was less than a month old Been to Samsung store to get phone looked at and fixed on 3 occasions, problem still there. Phone sent to Sydney, they claim phone has no problem. Very disappointed with service provided.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Hi Mandie, we are sorry to hear that you are facing some issues with your Galaxy A8. We have sent you a PM requesting for more information regarding this issue. When you do get a chance, please send those details through so we can further assist you. Jazz Samsung Australia

I have been a Samsung Galaxy user for over ten years and was very happy with the phones. However, I switched to an A8 (2018) when my last phone (S5) died in March this year. Am VERY disappointed as it will not connect with the Bluetooth in my car (2009 Hyundai Getz). Never had a problem till I changed phones and am desperate to find out why the Bluetooth won't connect. I believe it's something to do with an update that was available about the time I bought the phone and many others have the same problem. What can I do to get the Bluetooth to work?
Hi, we'd be more than happy to assist you with this. Would you be able to send us a message to our Facebook via the link below? Please ensure to copy and paste your enquiry in a private message to us. > m.me/SamsungAustralia Jo Samsung AU

Changed from a Note Samsung to Samsung A8; all info easily moved across via Smart Switch except for notification/sound for messages. Can any one tell what I am doing wrong?
Hey Jay, we'd be more than happy to help you set up your notification sounds on your A8. If you would like us to assist with this, please let us know via PM through the link below. > m.me/SamsungAustralia Jo Samsung AU

appears to not have some basic features for phones these days, no wireless charging even thou I asked about these before my wife signed up to contract AAAAARRRRRRHHHHHH, also can't add pic to contact profile WT.... what phone doesn't do that these days? after waiting over 2hrs for vodaphone to set it up (transfer all data and files) discovered it didn't even come close to transferring all data, no contacts, 1/2 the photo's "if that" and text messages were all gone. not happy. there could be more that we haven't discovered yet that this phone lacks that we weren't told about by the salesperson.
I am very sorry to hear that you are not a huge fan of the Galaxy A8, Ken. :( To confirm with you the A8 doesn't support wireless charging functionalities you can learn more about the full specs via the below link: https://www.samsung.com/au/smartphones/galaxy-a8-a530/SM-A530FZKAXSA/?cid=AU_2018_IM_SMART_GA_AO_E_SEM_GS_KWB_02_TXT_NA_NA_NA_%2Bsamsung%20%2Ba8_NA_NA_NA_39494286636_NA&ef_id=CjwKCAiAyfvhBRBsEiwAe2t_i72QcoXOOqSTh6J0SifOx-eNWftPlX0nXpP-dz6uEERv8dsODJT5ohoCluoQAvD_BwE:G:s&gclid=CjwKCAiAyfvhBRBsEiwAe2t_i72QcoXOOqSTh6J0SifOx-eNWftPlX0nXpP-dz6uEERv8dsODJT5ohoCluoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds In regard to changing your personal contact ID, please follow the below steps; Contacts app> Select your profile> Edit> either select a pre-installed ID or one from your Gallery. Jazz Samsung AustraliaIn regard to transferring your content via Smart Switch, you are able to contact our Support Team on 1300 362 603, they will be able to succesfully transfer your files over to your new Galaxy A8. Jazz Samsung Australia

CategoryMobile Phones
Screen Size 5.6"
Screen Resolution1080 x 2220 pixels
Display Technology
Camera
Max Video Resolution 1080p (Full HD)
Front Camera(s)16MP Wide, 8 MP Wide