Samsung Gear S3

Samsung Gear S3

Classic and Frontier

Fragile as egg shells

I received My Samsung S3 Frontier as a birthday gift. As an avid watch collector my family was stumped as to what to get me, so they opted to get me this Samsung.
What it does it does well. I have always had samsung phones so to have this new device added to my collection was great.
What it does it does well, actually it does it with excellence, from alarms to watch faces, adding apps, its speed and fantastic rotating bezel is very clever, but it has a dark side, one that should not have even been employed into its design, and that is its rear glass back.
The rear glass back is super fragile, and when i mean fragile, i mean as fragile as egg shells. Seriously. The rear is prone to cracking and I believe mine cracked on the charging cradle.
I have owned for less than a month after feeling harsh scratching on my wrist to only discover that is was fractured from the center out. It appears to me that the charging diodes/points on the rear glass expand beyond the limits of the glass.
Sadly JB Hi Fi was fast to blame me for dropping it. I explained i dont even ware the watch outside, i have real watches for that, and if it is that fragile, other buyers should be aware how fragile it is. JB HiFi extended warranty is also useless, so dont buy from JB.
Buyer be ware, thats all i can say.

Purchased in March 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $300.00.

Hi James, I want to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. We are always looking for ways to better our service, and your feedback is an invaluable part of that process. If you wish to discuss this further, please contact us on the link provided below. Facebook > m.me/SamsungAustralia Lisa Samsung AUHi Lisa, sorry to write up a bad review of a potentially great product. What makes this whole process so bitter is the staff and manager at JB HiFi. They really leave alot to be desired. Its one thing to mass sell a product but its another to support it and help situations like this. Im was happy to pay for this if thats where it ends up, but what if it happens again, as i believe it will. I think the fast charger is over charging so another cracked back is on the cards.

Best I've ever used

I've been using it everyday and its very nice. I even use it while swimming and there's no any problem at all. Thanks samsung for making this wonderful smart watch.

Purchased in November 2018 at Samsung Online store for $299.00.

Great looking watch but not worth

Bought this as a gift for my brother. Overall he is very happy with it. It looks great and has many features. There are many faces to choose from. The rotating bezel is a smart design by Samsung. However, the battery life is pretty average. Need to charge it almost everyday.

Purchased in September 2018.

One of the Best Smart Watches Around

I really do believe its one of the best, great looks, functions, and even a good 3 days of battery life.
nice watch faces from Samsung and loads more on the store.

The notifications work flawlessly for me. Love seeing the weather at a glance.
The kids love that we can make a call from the watch and talk to the grandparents via it.
The smart pay features are great, its just a shame that some of the banks don't allow usage of all their cards.
Its also a shame its not properly water proof, i.e. you cant go swimming with it, its just splash proof and dust proof.

I like that it has many different apps mostly the Samsung ones I like as they are what I use, timers, weather, alarms, reminders, calendar, stopwatch, music control etc.
There are also some really good aftermarket apps.

its quite clever to correctly recognise, walking, running, cycling etc, and there is even a Samsung app to show what speed you are doing.

Love the bezel design to be able to rotate through the functions as well as being touch sensitive.

Again, I am extremely happy with the purchase, features and design.

Purchased in February 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $264.00.

Amazing watch!

I bought it a month ago, and I'm supper happy with it. It is a great watch, with reasonable price. It works very well with your phone if you have a galaxy phone!

Purchased in April 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $299.00.

Thanks for your review! We’re glad to hear you’re enjoying your Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. If you have any questions or need us to look into anything, feel free to send us a message. Our best point of contact is through our Facebook page so feel free to send us a PM. > m.me/SamsungAustralia Mick Samsung AU

The watch is ok but very limited in what it can do

Samsung customer relations is a total disgrace. The chat line are unable to answer simple questions. On the phone you get through to the Philippines who are worse than useless. Do not buy via Samsung, If you have a problem their customer service is worse than useless.
The watch is very limited in what it can do, and the customer service outfit do not wish to help
Keep well away

Purchased in April 2019 for $200.00.

Hi Rob, we appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience. I have sent you a PM requesting more information. When its most convenient for you can you please send that through? ou can also reach out via Facebook- please ensure to copy and paste your product review in a private message to us. > m.me/SamsungAustralia Lisa Samsung AU

Good smartwatch if thats what you are after

No major issues with this smartwatch, battery life is solid, interface is convenient, a little bit thick on the wrist but is fairly stylish and have no issues with performance. Only real issue is with the functionality itself, don't tend to get much use out of this other than checking notifications and even then, is much easier to get my phone out and reply.

Purchased in March 2019 at eBay for $200.00.

Almost perfect!!

After owning a couple smartwatches, including Sony Smartwatch 3 which is a great watch, S3 Frontier is even a greater watch. The Sony was lacking the heartbeat and has a small square face but has reflective LCD which is amazing.

I doubted if I will like Tizen OS, worried about the watch faces and battery life of S3 but all of that can be proven unnecessary. So here the plus:
- Bright LCD even under the sun
- Great battery life in general BUT very inconsistent
- Great free watchfaces
- Sports function are great

The low side:
- Battery can sometime chewed up from 100% to 10% within 4 hours. I concluded this was when WiFi is on and not connected to any AP despite it's in Auto mode. I believe the watch was scanning all the time.
- GPS is also very inconsistent. Time it takes 15 - 30 minutes to lock position. After reading a forum, it turned out that the weather feature S Gear app on the phone was the root cause. Simply remove any location weather on S Gear and GPS lock position in less 20 seconds.
- Samsung support team didn't even know about this and insisted I factory reset the watch which I did and then ask me to take it back to Samsung service center, not very impressed at all.

best smartwatch i've had

I've used quite a number of smart watches and by far the gear s3 tops them all. it was a gift from my wife last December and I've been wearing it everyday. i have an older garmin fenix 2 which i use for working around the house, the beach, etc. but for the office, the gear s3 is definitely on my wrist. it connects to my phone flawlessly. it exchanges information pretty fast though i tend not to connect it all the time. love how the bezel turns and you can go through the menu. I've purchased only 2 watch faces on top of the those already in the s3. simply put, awesome watch which will stay with me for quite some time.

Great product!

Got this as a gift for Christmas. Didn't think I would use it much but have definitely enjoyed the fitness features and being able to see calls and messages. I'm usually really bad at answering calls on my mobile but this has helped. I also check my phone less overall. I like appearance of it, although it's pretty chunky on my arm. Overall, good product.

Great smart watch.

The watch is very easy to setup and use. It links first time every time with the phone app and shares information back and forward flawlessly. There are some very good apps available and even some open source variants for those wanting to do a little coding for themselves. I've not had any issues with any of the built in functions in the four weeks I've had the watch - phones calls, text messages, emails, voice to text - all work straight out of the box.

The watch is large, a little heavy, and can get warm but the screen size and battery life make up for that. I get two full days and it takes less than two hours to fully charge with the contact charger. I've not had an Apple watch so have nothing to compare the Gear S3 to, but based on experience to date, I have no reason to consider any other watch.

Well worth the money.

Clanky but clever

Bought this on special offer but was initially dissuaded due to its bulky appearance. However it didn't look too bad on my wrist. Features are a plenty and if you're into gadgets then this is the watch for you. I hit the gym fairly regularly and find that it is a real aid. Multitude of watch faces is uselfull. Eftpos payment a breeze. Making calls from your wrist jaunts you to the 22nd century. Highly recommended.

SM-R760 Pleased overall.

This was purchased second hand from an online retailer to track fitness and sleep assessment. It works quite well in both those regards, although the settings needed to be adjusted to improve the battery life. It would be better if the battery lasted longer in normal mode instead of requiring power save mode which cuts out colour and limits functionality. One of its best features is that it vibrates when my linked phone receives a message or call, so I no longer miss these!

Overall pleased with this product.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Best smart watch

Wanted to buy this watch for a while now and finally decided to get one on sale.
Very easy to set up/use, can personalize it and add aps etc. great notifications linked from phone. Can message and phone people without touching my phone. Pretty impressive technology and lightweight. Nice design and looks of the watch

Date PurchasedNov 2018
Hi there, thank you for your awesome review. Being able to text and answer calls is one of my favourite features too! Hope you have a Happy New Year. - Vicky

I never knew I needed a smart watch

Having owned just a Casio Gshock, I thought I need a classier watch that I can use for a more formal setting. Luckily, my wife got me the Gear S3 for my birthday. The watch is really amazing. It displays a lot of health information that I like. It also helps me navigate around town using maps without the need to take out my phone. The build quality is amazing. I can not mention how many times I've banged it up against walls and doors but not a scratch on it. Really happy with my watch.

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Hi Sean, thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us, it really means a lot to us. Hope you have a Happy New Year

Only three weeks old and the battery doesn't even last 5 hours

I am a huge fan of Samsung products. I have used gear s2 before. 3 weeks ago bought a gear s3 frontier from Harvey Norman morayfield and was very excited. Much to my disappointment the watch started giving me trouble. Battery don't even last 5 or 6 hrs even in power saving mode. Also trird to reset the watch no use. Very disappointed

Date PurchasedNov 2018
We're sorry to hear this Raj, can you advise if you have been into your nearest service centre and had one of our techs look into this for you? Book an appointment here: https://www.samsung.com/au/samsungstore/bookings/ Don't have time to visit or can't get to one of our Service Locations? You also have the option to drop it off at your local Australia Post office: http://samsungcare2.samsungcsportal.com:81/samsungcare/au/index_m Jazz Samsung AustraliaI have returned it to Harvey norman, morayfield. They told me it will take two weeks for them to process it. No watch till they replace it. Not fairLoan devices are subject to availability and not always available. We apologise in advance for any inconvenience caused but are happy to hear this will be resolved for you. Philip Samsung Australia

Gr8 Watch

Wanted to get it for a while now and it's been great. Didn't want to get a square watch. This is big and battery last for 3 days at least. Easy to use with lots of watch face. Would like it even more if Samsung could integrate Google Assistant. Then it would be perfect!

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi there, thank you for sharing your review with us. It's great hearing your ideas, we'll keep this in mind for future launches. - Vicky

Not Thankful!

I purchased a Samsung Gear s3 Frontier about 7 months ago and since then I have had to have it replaced (with a used refurbished) watch because the original stopped connecting to the Bluetooth. Now two months after the original watch crapped out, the replacement watch also quit working properly. The watch will not connect to the network and I get not phone calls or notifications of missed calls. They intend to send me another refurbished watch in hopes that that watch will function properly but if it was already send back for rework, how confident should I be that I'm getting a quality watch? Not very. Samsung Support sucks! Chatting with a human isn't even an option and if you don't need help with what they think you do, they just keep circling back around and around. I am so dissatisfied with the Samsung Gear s3 frontier that I would recommend that no one ever buy one. It is expensive and obviously unreliable. Who knows, maybe when you send your Gear s3 in for a "Replacement", you will get mine and I'll get yours. DO NOT BUY a Samsung Gear s3 Frontier smart watch, Buy a sundial and strap it to your wrist if you want consistent reliability. I'd give them a Zero rating if that were an option

Date PurchasedJul 2018
We're sorry you feel that way Dean, the Gear S3 is one of our popular watches. We're glad that you were still able to get replacements, and our service centres will continue to assist you with any issues you may be having with your watch. You can also reach out to our social channels like Facebook or Twitter and we'll respond to you right away during business hours for any technical questions. If you are still experiencing issue with your device, please visit a service centre, and our technicians will assist. Philip Samsung Australia

I love my watch

I love my watch couldn't live without it. Would be great if i could add stava app and fb app to my device as i find the apple watch can do a few more things than my Samsung Frontier. I've almost bought an apple watch to replace. But i prefer my android products

Date PurchasedMar 2017

best smart watch ever

received this watch as my birthday gift. i love the operation system developed by samsung.
what i really that this watch as compares with apple watch, it allows me to choice so many different watch face and it looks so real as an expensive watch. I wear it everyday, battery can last 3 days, as I don't use the app in the watch, to me it is pretty much useless.
The build quality and the design of the watch is just way beyond my expectation.
This is much much better looking than the apple watch. I wear this watch to a few meetings, and i can choose difference watch face to suit my clothing.
Just love it

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Hi Folks, Anyone considering buying this watch should not buy it. It is touted as a fitness watch for active people, yet it is super fragile. The back glass has cracked on mine and i dont even wear it outdoors. In less than a month after receiving it as a gift i felt a harsh scratching on my wrist and there i discovered its glass is smashed..... I never dropped it or mishandled it. it is super fragile. Buy a real outdoor watch perhaps an apple. Samsung wont fix and the youngster at JB HiFi was quick to accuse me of dropping it. Its cracks eminate from the two charging point on the rear, so check yours if you have one, other than that it looks great as a bedside table alarm clock.
Hi James, we'd be more than happy to look into this for you. Would you be able to provide me with your contact details and any reference numbers to our Facebook via the link below? Please ensure to copy and paste your enquiry in a private message to us. > m.me/SamsungAustralia Jo Samsung AU

Hi, is the Samsung Gear S3 watch compatible with Oppo phones?
Hi Sez, I think as long as you download the Samsung watch app it should be OK. The watch is even compatible with IOS so it should be compatible with other Android devices.Hi Sez, unfortunately Oppo is not a compatible device for the Gear S3 - Here is a link to the listed devices that are compatible https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/gear-s3-compatible-android-devices/ Philip Samsung AustraliaBefore you buy, if you want to use it as an outdoor watch for activities, perhaps look elsewhere. The glass back is super fragile and subject to cracking and cutting you. Mine is less than a month old and it has cracked where the charging diodes are...... so consider other options or buy the real rugged one.

Can I use telstra one number on my smartwatch I bought from jbhifi?
Hi Simon, the Gear S3 is not an LTE compatible smartwatch. Our new Galaxy Watch is though, you can learn more via the below link: https://www.samsung.com/au/wearables/galaxy-watch-r805/ Jazz Samsung Australia