SGIC Home Insurance

SGIC Home Insurance

1.9

• Claim Resolution Time3+ months (4), 2-4 weeks (2) and 1-2 months (1)
  • Claim ApprovedYes (3) · No (6)

Robadelaide sa

audacity

I find it hard to believe this Co.! After months of stress from their refusal to honour our claim for the collapsed ceiling, they had the audacity to write to me demanding the name of the Co. that repaired the ceiling that they refused cover on!!. As if they would ever get any more money from me or my family.. Good manners stops me from describing just how bad this Co. and its assessors are. I took my custom to another Insurance Co. and saved myself over $700.
A tip for long time users of one Co,. as we were, I believe if you have had the same policy for over five years you are paying almost double what you should be paying because of automatic increases. It's worth checking out.

Rob

Where we come from your reply is called a "Fur coat & No knickers" reply, in other words, all talk and no substance. I'm so glad we moved on from SGIC, it saved us heaps..

Chris

ChrisSoutheast, SA

Great Service

Cannot express enough just how wonderful the service was
Joanne whom I spoke with was friendly and very helpful
Went out of her way to follow up on a damage report for me
Received my payment with no fuss
Excellent Service...

Care TeamSGIC Insurance

Hi Chris, thanks for the great review! Glad we were able to meet your needs and we will continue to provide this service. ~Natalie

Andrew Dumas

Andrew Dumas

Wont pay our claim

Our fence was damaged by workers next door. Although helpful at first, after months of nothing their assessor later determined that we were lying about how it was damaged. And refused to repair it. We are now looking for a new insurer.

TSHSouth Australia

Thieves

Check your PDS, they will look for any excuse to not honour your policy. Save your money and go elsewhere. You won’t see a single dollar from these modern day thieves when the time comes to pay out a claim.

Coverage TypeHome Only
Property TypeTownhouse
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Claim DateSeptember 2020
Care TeamSGIC Insurance

Hi Tsh, thanks for your review. If you are unhappy with your claims decision you can follow our complaints process at this link https://www.sgic.com.au/help-information/complaints-resolutions Hope this helps. ~Kaz

TSH

Have already submitted a request for a review. Thanks.

Shockingly poor communication and offering settlement for a fraction of claim amount despite evidence

Type of ClaimTheft
Claim DateApril 2020

Here is our Facebook link - https://go.sgic.com.au/2m59ChY. ~Natalie

Katie W.

Katie W.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

SGIC is not the company it used to be

Claim DateJanuary 2020

calais

Sorry has no meaning, it become just a word!!!!

Property TypeOther
Claim Resolution Time2-4 weeks
Type of ClaimTheft
Claim DateNovember 2019

Unbelievably bad

The most hopeless people I have ever dealt with. They do not have a clue how to handle a claim. So many mistakes and they don't understand the basics of what needs to be done. I was shocked how bad they are since this is the first time I have made a claim.

Property TypeVilla
Care TeamSGIC Insurance

Not fast to settle claims.. still waiting

Provided the required documentation requested for accidental damage to A laptop... have rung numerous times over the last 3 weeks... to be told I'm sorry... the last person didn't get the payment approved.. but I will do that now and the money will be in your bank account 5-7days. The last 3 people I have spoken to have given me the same spill... least one admitted that the person I spoke to the time before didn't do what they said they would do.. my patience is wearing very thin now. I just want this claim finalised!

Claim Resolution Time1-2 months

Lyn MAdelaide

Don’t use SGIC I would give minus stars if possible (L.AM)

Claim DateDecember 2016
Lyn M

You have access to policy number here so what is the need to go to your face book page. The runaround as usual.

SJW

SJWSouth Australia

Excellent and Fast Service

Did a lot of shopping for Home Insurance. I was already with SGIC for auto insurance and recently purchased a new car. The changeover was super easy and it was actually a reduction in cost. He offered home insurance. i didn't take it on the spot. I wanted to do my research. I found the price to be very good compared to others, and although I haven't had to make a claim, the service is fantastic. Just took care of a mistake I made online and the guy on SGIC webchat came up straight away, without having to wait at all, and fixed my error in no time. Happy so far!

Care TeamSGIC Insurance

Hi SJW, Thanks for the positive review! Glad to hear you found our premiums competitive and I hope we continue to provide great service. ~Natalie

Terrible to not insure with SGIC!

We have been with SGIC for 29 years but as soon as we settle a car insurance claim we will be moving all 6 of our insurances. A car reversed into my car at a petrol station so not my fault and from the very beginning we have received wrong information, wrong directives, unhelpful assistants ,been told the money would be in our account then its not and delays after delays. Very dissatisfied and quite stressful. Overseas call centres that have a script and do not deter from that. Would not recommend to anyone!!!

Donna P

Donna PAdelaide

Mixed experience after a break in

Type of ClaimTheft and Vandalism/Malicious Damage
Claim DateJanuary 2019
Mario D.

Mario D.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Taken for granted

Jason

JasonMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

They are happy to accept your yearly payments but will avoid paying out when the time comes

I have several policies with SGIC and we have had two rental issues where a hot water pipe broke under ground damaging the Linen press cabinet with steam damaging the cabinet etc. When they came to fix it they fixed the Cabinet and need to cut the cornise away to get the cabinet in. You would think they would fix it, well the carpenter turned around and blamed the damage of the cornise on the tile roof. i complained yet nothings been done to fix it 5 years on.

Coverage TypeHome Only
Type of ClaimEscape of Liquid

Terrible

Would not recommend SGIC to anyone. Have been with them for years. Very difficult to communicate with. Have changed our insurance to an Australian Company not a company based in SOUTH AFRICA. Staff were rude and had no idea what the were talking about. Don't insure with them. Doesn't even deserve 1 star

Claim DateSeptember 2018
Pete

Peteadalelaide

Tried to get out of paying.

Been with SGIC for 16 years. Never missed a payment or was late paying. Always thought they would do the right thing, especially with long standing, loyal customers. When it came time to pay for the damages, they wriggled and twisted and ended up paying a fraction of the losses. Very disappointing when they were quick to take the premiums but reluctant to give the required services. And had a few rude people on the phone.

Care TeamSGIC Insurance

Not worth the paper it is written on

After over 40 years of insurance I have never encountered anything like this foreign company. Not sure if deliberately obtuse or simply give the run around so that you give up. Congrats I gave up and I'm not easily dissuaded but life's too short and it was a small claim so I cancelled. Imagine if it was a significant claim you wouldn't stand a chance. Look elsewhere preferably Australian owned. Also, I believe their assessors are rorting the system.

pidge351

pidge351AU

Long term Customer of 20+ yrs but feeling disappointed

I have been a long term customer for 20+ years, with only one claim made, so what is more important than value for money was their customer service and ability to accommodate my needs, my policy was easy to set up and over the years i have updated it with no problems, but unfortunately recently when i contacted SGIC to place a claim i did not receive the customer service i had previously had, i found i was having to call to see how my claim was progressing the service consultant was very hard to understand and seemed not to really understand the problem when the assessor attended my property a carpenter was sent not an electrician very frustrating! and to top it off i'm still in limbo. Currently looking for a new provider.

Lodging and progressing a claim via their Offshore Call centre is Not Good

Whilst the actual Home Policy is reasonably good value and dealing with the Australian based staff and their Assessors is good, getting you claim underway and progressing it with any further information or any ongoing questions is really difficult.
This was also witnessed first hand when visiting the SGIC 'Shopfront' in Adelaide South Australia recently. Their own staff were re-routed to South Africa and put on hold for ages whilst trying to provide me with face to face customer service. They too appeared really frustrated.
Whatever happened to good local customer service?