Smeg Retro 50's Style FAB32 Series

FAB32RCRNA1 (Cream), FAB32RBLNA1 (Black), FAB32RBENA1 (Dark Blue), etc...
See the Best Bottom Mount Fridges / Refrigerators in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Smeg

2.4
  • Internal Layout
Bex
Bex

Doesn’t live up to Smeg reputation

Purchased in November 2020 at Harvey Norman Retail Stores for $2,300.00.

Hannah
HannahSouth East Queensland, QLD

Can recommend Majestic Fridge instead

Cute fridge, but it misbehaves.

Our Smeg has a major condensation problem, it freezes food in the fridge compartment and grows colonies of mould in the door seals (which we have had to replace at considerable cost and effort). The temperature does not regulate properly and the freezer constantly needs defrosting. Inside the door the plastic compartments crack and outside the surface is beginning to rust and warp.

If you're looking for a better option, my mum bought a spacious, well-designed retro-look fridge called the Majestic Fridge for a much more reasonable price and it works perfectly. Plus, it's an Aussie-owned company!

Far better than the Smeg, which weeps internally and piddles on the floor at night.

Purchased in November 2016.

bellysmellyAU

Good looks don't count for much unfortunately. Not in a fridge, anyway.

Purchased in August 2020 at Bing Lee for $2,990.00.

spider
spiderSydney Surrounds, NSW

Great service by Smeg

I had many ongoing problems with my Smeg retro fridge. I loved it but couldn't live with the constant flooding, defrosting, food spoilage, broken plastic pieces and seal. Smeg completely fixed this with absolutely excellent customer service. I couldn't be happier and really thank them for this.

Purchased in December 2010 at Appliances Online for $4,000.00.

Bottom Mount Fridges / Refrigerators

Find out how Smeg Retro 50's Style FAB32 Series compares to other Bottom Mount Fridges / Refrigerators

Sharin I.
Sharin I.Launceston, TAS

Looks fab

This fridge looks fantastic but is on the small side and has no features for the price point, in saying that we do love the look and it matches our other smeg appliances so we were willing to sacrifice space and features.

Purchased in July 2019.

Chris
ChrisGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Very very poor quality

Purchased at David Jones for $4,000.00.

Don't waste your money

Stunning fridge freezer but very disappointed in quality and function. The internal doors in the freezer broke within the first year. I have had constant issues with temperature control despite following all recommendations. Both fridge and freezer seals split within the first two years. The internal light failed in year one and I have never been able to get the compartment opened to replace it. Very frustrated. Now have been told that to replace door seals, new doors are needed at $1700 and $800 AUD each. Would rather buy a new fridge freezer and turn this lovely looking SMEG into a cupboard. Good on the eyes but nothing else. I really stretched myself to buy this and have had buyers remorse ever since.

Purchased in February 2012 for $4,000.00.

Steve C.Smeg

The top-rated kitchen appliances for 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-top-rated-kitchen-appliances-for-2020
Fridge and Dishwasher Awards for 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
fridge-and-dishwasher-awards-for-2020

Avleen M.
Avleen M.23 July 2021
KaraSydney

Planned Obsolescence??

Date PurchasedDec 2015
Kara

So I emailed Steve on the 22nd of January as per his instruction on the 21st of January and guess what? No response back, I’m guessing this was automated, much like the planned obsolescence of the fridge...

Lesley R.Smeg

Dear Kara. I wish to advise that I have not received your email at all, can you please resend it and I will be in direct contact with you to discuss this matter. Regards Steve Cullen.

Susan
SusanSydney Surrounds, NSW

What a stylish product

The best of the best. Stylish, easy and a focal point. Has lost of storage for food and wine of cause. The cool room storage departments are spacious and the crispers both drawer are spacious as well. Love the colour selections and it also reminds me of the older times, . Whitch
gives a nice feel.

Date PurchasedJune 2018
Steve C.Smeg

Hi Susan. Thank you for your review. We love hearing how our customers love their products. Enjoy ! Smeg Australia.

Bottom Mount Fridges / Refrigerators

Terrible the reviews are correct here the best thing is the look.

The look Well that’s why your hooked they look great and give you the feel of a solid reliable unit that’s where it stops brittle plastic even the egg holders crack when you slide it out to clean then the glass shatter no problem copped that the wine holder rusts and the kicker is this fridge is 6 years old and has been extremely well looked after the steaks regularly oiled no dry detergents and they have decided to crack Smegs answer you have to replace the door that’s right both freezer and fridge complete door haven’t even got the quote yet you well know how much that’s going to cost Shame considering you should at least get 10 years for a 3800 dollar fridge..

Date PurchasedJuly 2012
Kenobi
KenobiSydney

Indulge in something special, treat yo self

Date PurchasedJune 2016

Great looker but everything else terrable

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Awful

This fridge has moisture running down back and the crisper becomes wet, therefore fruit and veg go soggy and off. Sent first fridge back as the computer on the top was broken. I should have done my home work. The fridge looks good . But who cares if it doesn't work

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Phh2685
Phh2685South-Eastern Region, NSW

Wouldn’t do a Smeg fridge again!

The best part about the SMEG retro fridge is how it looks. It’s performance as a fridge is just as retro. It never kept a consistent temperature, it leaks frost onto the top of the lower door seal, so you get and see black mould whenever you open the fridge, it’s ordinary all round. And, we were shocked to discover that for the price, it isn’t a no frost freezer. So we now have a much cheaper, larger, more efficient Japanese fridge in the kitchen, and a not so very old, good looking, but really expensive and disappointing SMEG ‘beer Fridge’ in the garage.
We’ve just built a new home, with all the normal appliances - not one SMEG.

Date PurchasedAug 2014
Steve C.Smeg

Very disappointed. Would not recommend.

After doing a huge amount of research and making the decision to part with $6000 for 2 of the fridge/freezers, I couldn't be more disappointed. We have experienced a number of issues including the seal not sealing, the silver plaque coming away from the temperature controls, the fridge not being able to keep a constant temperature, freezing food, screws falling out, unable to store fruit/vegies in the crisper as they get frozen, parts cracking or breaking and having to mop up water from the bottom of the fridge compartment. The freezer section requires continual defrosting. The after sales service has put me off ever purchasing another SMEG appliance.

bellysmellyasked
Retro 50's Style FAB32 Series

Hello, I see from one of your responses that you have recently launched an updated FAB32. If I place an order for a fridge now, will I get one from old stock still on hand or a new one? How will I be able to tell?

Hi bellysmelly,
The new models are a series 3. This is referenced in the model number.
Hope this helps
Regards

bellysmelly

Hi, thanks for replying but no, it doesn’t really help. Your website model numbers all start with FAB32 and end with NA1, with the central letters denoting the colour and the hinge location. Where exactly is the series 3 (or 2) indicated?
Cheers,
Bel

Cheers,
Bel

Pixie P.
Pixie P.asked
Retro 50's Style FAB32 Series

Does anyone know where I can buy new door inserts? Mine have all broken or cracked, (2 were broken on delivery!) And I keep getting the run around from the local stockists. Thanks

Lesley R.Smeg

Hi Pixie P - thank you for your review, have you contacted us to discuss this matter? We would love to have an opportunity to discuss this further and make things right- can you please email us direct with your full name address and contact telephone number. Our email address is service@smeg.com.au and please mark to the attention of Lesley- kind regards Smeg Australia

Marco B.asked
Retro 50's Style FAB32 Series

I am considering purchasing this fridge on the basis of its dimensions and appearance but am concerned about reviews slamming its build quality and life expectancy, do the shelves and seals break as stated, will I have to replace parts at great expense during the first ten years of its working life?

Dear Marco B.,
Thanks for your enquiry. We have just launched a new FAB32 with greatly improved features. If you would like to know more, please email info@smeg.com.au and we will send you a product spec sheet.
Regards

Thanks Rodney,
I didn't realise the model I was looking at was soon to be replaced. I purchased the black model that was on the shop floor at Betta Home Living in Echuca Victoria. Received it today and it now stands tall and handsome in my kitchen. I also bought the smeg classic cooker and should receive that tomorrow.
Thanks so much for your response, I really appreciate it.

See all Smeg Retro 50's Style FAB32 Series questions

Get an answer from our members and Smeg representatives

Compare all 14 Smeg Retro 50's Style FAB32 Series
CategoryBottom Mount Fridges / RefrigeratorsBottom Mount Fridges / RefrigeratorsBottom Mount Fridges / RefrigeratorsBottom Mount Fridges / Refrigerators
Price (RRP) $3,650.00$3,650.00$3,650.00$3,650.00
Dimensions 1926 x 600 x 720 mm1926 x 600 x 720 mm1926 x 600 x 720 mm1926 x 600 x 720 mm
Energy Rating3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)
Household Size 1-2 people1-2 people1-2 people1-2 people
FeaturesFrost Free and Wine RackFrost Free and Wine RackFrost Free and Wine RackFrost Free and Wine Rack
Handle Type ExternalExternalExternalExternal
Smart Fridge NoNoNoNo
Shelf MaterialGlassGlassGlassGlass
Number of Shelves3333
Number of Fruit & Vegetable Bins1111
Door Hinge RightRightRightRight
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Colour / FinishBlackOrangeDark BlueLime Green
Capacity
Total Capacity 304 L304 L304 L304 L
Fridge Capacity 229 L229 L229 L229 L
Freezer Capacity 75 L75 L75 L75 L
Release dateSept 2008Sept 2008Sept 2008Sept 2008
Compare all 14 Smeg Retro 50's Style FAB32 Series
  • GTIN13: 8017709116002, 8017709116026, 8017709116057, 8017709116064, 8017709116071, 8017709116088, 8017709116095, 8017709116101, 8017709116118, 8017709116132, 8017709116149, 8017709116156, 8017709116163, 8017709116170, 8017709116194 and 8017709116200
  • MPN: FAB32LBENA1, FAB32LBLNA1, FAB32LLINA1, FAB32LORNA1, FAB32LPBNA1, FAB32LPGNA1, FAB32LPKNA1, FAB32LRDNA1 and FAB32LWHNA1