Great service by Smeg

I had many ongoing problems with my Smeg retro fridge. I loved it but couldn't live with the constant flooding, defrosting, food spoilage, broken plastic pieces and seal. Smeg completely fixed this with absolutely excellent customer service. I couldn't be happier and really thank them for this.

Purchased in December 2010 at Appliances Online for $4,000.00.

Internal Layout
Household Size 1 person(s)

Looks fab

This fridge looks fantastic but is on the small side and has no features for the price point, in saying that we do love the look and it matches our other smeg appliances so we were willing to sacrifice space and features.

Purchased in July 2019.

Internal Layout
Household Size 2 person(s)

Very very poor quality

A very noisy and frustrating Whitegood that’s had 5 service visits. I can hear it’s pipes working from 2 rooms away. Don’t waste your money on this fridge. The fridge looks good but it stops there. I have sent recordings of the noise coming from the fridge to smeg and have been told that these are normal sounds. I could accept this for a cheaply made fridge but a $4000 fridge to be making that level of noise is unbelievable! I’ve read some other reviews on line and it seems like there are some inherent issues with the fridge and from what I can see smeg, sadly, is not owning the problem. I simply don’t accept that a fridge can make a consistent noise that can be easily heard from 2 rooms away is not faulty. Their follow up and servicing of this issue has been well below what I would expect from a company such as smeg.

The freezer also very inconsistently freezes. I’ve had the service attendant look at the temperature settings and he has advised the are correct. It turns ice cream into ice !!

One star is for how it looks but sadly it stops there

Purchased at David Jones for $4,000.00.

Noise Level
Household Size 1 person(s)
Dear Chris, Sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with the fridge. Could you please email our National Service Manager, steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your name, telephone contact details, address and the problems you are experiencing with your appliance. Once he has this information, he can ascertain how to best rectify the problem. Regards Smeg

Don't waste your money

Stunning fridge freezer but very disappointed in quality and function. The internal doors in the freezer broke within the first year. I have had constant issues with temperature control despite following all recommendations. Both fridge and freezer seals split within the first two years. The internal light failed in year one and I have never been able to get the compartment opened to replace it. Very frustrated. Now have been told that to replace door seals, new doors are needed at $1700 and $800 AUD each. Would rather buy a new fridge freezer and turn this lovely looking SMEG into a cupboard. Good on the eyes but nothing else. I really stretched myself to buy this and have had buyers remorse ever since.

Purchased in February 2012 for $4,000.00.

Internal Layout
Household Size 3 person(s)
Dear Sharon, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Planned Obsolescence??

Purchased this fridge, which looks great, in December 2015 when my husband and I were moving into our new home. It was expensive however I thought you get what you pay for, it goes with the retro look of the kitchen and it should last us a long time. Little did I know that I would only get use for it for three years before it became just an object that looked good and little else. Last year it began to make cracking noises, then the beeping started, which was persistent and annoying. I had adjusted the temperature as recommended in the manual in case it was because of the season we were in. That did not work. Then finally the freezer just stopped working, the control panel would flash and the beeping resumed. I had to throw out perfectly good food because they got spoilt. I emailed Smeg on the 15th of December 2018. They emailed back on the 17th of December 2018 asking for more information. My husband did just that and was put through to a Smeg Authorised Repairer who sent out a guy whom we had to pay $22.00 per ten minutes! As well as $99.00 just for the call out fee. Plus a surcharge for the guy to come out to our place in the mountains. Extortion! He proceeded to make inquiries for parts, which came up to a total of $1,950.00 for repairs and parts. I knew that parts would be expensive but $1,000.00 for a control board and $500.00 for the fan is steep and rich considering the price paid for the actual product, which was $3,456.00 from Appliances Online.

I am disappointed because I would expect, as many of us would, that Smeg a premium brand would have products that would last for longer than three years. Also, that there would be a longer warranty period for such items. The price to fix it is almost in the vicinity of buying a new fridge if it were to be another Smeg fridge and I would be pretty hesitant to buy another no matter how good they look.

It is interesting that the product expired three years after the purchase. Even the extra two years extended warranty for parts does not work because the parts that need to be replaced are not covered.

Date PurchasedDec 2015
Dear Kara, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details. Once I have this information I will speak to the service people and should be in a position to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenSo I emailed Steve on the 22nd of January as per his instruction on the 21st of January and guess what? No response back, I’m guessing this was automated, much like the planned obsolescence of the fridge...Dear Kara. I wish to advise that I have not received your email at all, can you please resend it and I will be in direct contact with you to discuss this matter. Regards Steve Cullen.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Sep 21, 2018
The best of the best. Stylish, easy and a focal point. Has lost of storage for food and wine of cause. The cool room storage departments are spacious and the crispers both drawer are spacious as well. Love the colour selections and it also reminds me of the older times, . Whitch
gives a nice feel.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

gives a nice feel.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Susan. Thank you for your review. We love hearing how our customers love their products. Enjoy ! Smeg Australia.

Terrible the reviews are correct here the best thing is the look.

The look Well that’s why your hooked they look great and give you the feel of a solid reliable unit that’s where it stops brittle plastic even the egg holders crack when you slide it out to clean then the glass shatter no problem copped that the wine holder rusts and the kicker is this fridge is 6 years old and has been extremely well looked after the steaks regularly oiled no dry detergents and they have decided to crack Smegs answer you have to replace the door that’s right both freezer and fridge complete door haven’t even got the quote yet you well know how much that’s going to cost Shame considering you should at least get 10 years for a 3800 dollar fridge..

Date PurchasedJul 2012
Dear Matt, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address, telephone contact details and also if you can scan me photographs of of the parts that are faulty as well as what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Indulge in something special, treat yo self

I got a smeg because another brand's fridge i purchased died within a week, it was fates way of telling me I should just get the fridge I REALLY wanted. So I did. It sits in my kitchen shining like something from 2001: A space odyssey .. It's easy to keep clean on the outside despite being black.

I found the space just right for our family of three, although the bottom freezer draw sometimes jams. Just enough room for mummy and daddies beer and wine, with enough room for lots of milk for the kids.

It's not the quietest of fridges, it hums sometimes and makes weird bubbly sounds on occasion but mostly I don't notice anymore, I'm too busy staring at how classy and retro it looks.

I've had my fridge two years now and have had no need to defrost and no issues! This was my biggest fear cos they don't have the best track record when I first researched.

Buying a fridge that costs this much isn't rational, but sometimes you just got to buy the thing you want not just the thing you need. Next time I think I'll get an outrageous colour!

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Great looker but everything else terrable

We waited years to get 1 of these really expensive fridges as we had just put a new kitchen in, i couldn't be leave Smeg were still making fridge freezers that were not frost free, so yes that is a bit of hassle having to turn your freezer off to do a defrost every couple of months or so and not only that it is very small that you cant fit much in there so we needed to buy another freezer as this one is just to small also all the clear plastic started to crack or break in the fridge and freezer, very brittle plastic, the salad draw doesn't slide that well in and out, it should have little rollers on or something, you have to treat all the plastics like a new born baby. one day my wife was giving the fridge a wipe down inside as yes there is always lots of condensation and bits of mold from all the moisture in the fridge and while washing the glass shelve in the sink it just exploded and shattered into little pieces after warm water was used to wash it, not hot water as i checked from my wife.
We then moved house and the freezer door got dented so under the insurance they ordered a new door, it arrived about 4 months later and the hinges were on the wrong side and wouldn't fit, so after another 6 months of still waiting for a door that didn't turn up the insurance company said we will get you a new fridge freezer. Great we thought, well that new Smeg FAB 32 had grown taller by about 200mm so we then had to change the top cupboard as the fridge would not fit in the old spot. The good news on the new fridge was it was frost free"wow" this is great also it was slightly bigger. Then we find there is a dent on the side of the fridge even though its still in its new packaging crate.we waited another 2 months for a replacement, the delivery guys unpacked it all and we checked for dents, all was OK until i looked in side and there was 2 plastic items broken or cracked, i managed to chase the delivery guys down and we swapped the plastics over with the dented fridge they were taking back. At last all is fine we thought, the new fridge makes lots of cracking and banging noises when its on and can be quite frightening at night as you think someone is in your house. we lived with this as we love the look of the fridge. its now been 3 years with this new noisy fridge freezer and then the alarm started going off to warn you the door is open or the fridge is not cold enough inside. soon the food inside the fridge was not cold any more as well as the freezer. I've had a repair man out and he said he cant fix it at my house so they will have someone collect it and send it to there factory for repair. we have now been told it has an internal gas leak and is not repairable, we are still waiting without a fridge freezer to see what is going to happen about it, this was 3 or 4 weeks ago, to be honest i think our Smeg Fab32 days are over, your just not worth the trouble and would sooner have a different and a whole lot cheaper fridge freezer with reliability.

Date PurchasedAug 2015
Dear cass, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and details of the people doing the service. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Awful

This fridge has moisture running down back and the crisper becomes wet, therefore fruit and veg go soggy and off. Sent first fridge back as the computer on the top was broken. I should have done my home work. The fridge looks good . But who cares if it doesn't work

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Dear Karen, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and telephone contact details. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Wouldn’t do a Smeg fridge again!

The best part about the SMEG retro fridge is how it looks. It’s performance as a fridge is just as retro. It never kept a consistent temperature, it leaks frost onto the top of the lower door seal, so you get and see black mould whenever you open the fridge, it’s ordinary all round. And, we were shocked to discover that for the price, it isn’t a no frost freezer. So we now have a much cheaper, larger, more efficient Japanese fridge in the kitchen, and a not so very old, good looking, but really expensive and disappointing SMEG ‘beer Fridge’ in the garage.
We’ve just built a new home, with all the normal appliances - not one SMEG.

Date PurchasedAug 2014
Hi Phh2685 - My name is Steve Cullen and I am the National Service and Spare Parts Manager for Smeg Australia - I am sorry to read your review. Can you please contact me direct via email: steve.cullen@smeg.com.au as I would like to discuss this with you direct and I will also need your full name, address and a contact telephone number. regards Steve Cullen

Very disappointed. Would not recommend.

After doing a huge amount of research and making the decision to part with $6000 for 2 of the fridge/freezers, I couldn't be more disappointed. We have experienced a number of issues including the seal not sealing, the silver plaque coming away from the temperature controls, the fridge not being able to keep a constant temperature, freezing food, screws falling out, unable to store fruit/vegies in the crisper as they get frozen, parts cracking or breaking and having to mop up water from the bottom of the fridge compartment. The freezer section requires continual defrosting. The after sales service has put me off ever purchasing another SMEG appliance.

Dear Katrina, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Smeg Fab32 not suitable for hot climates of Central Queensland

I'm writing this for those people who are thinking about investing in a smeg fridge. We are now seeing them in a lot of TV shows and they are the hot designer kitchen appliance.

About 2 years ago my husband surprised me with the most beautiful red Smeg fridge and I just adored it. As we were renovating a cottage, the style of the fridge was perfect for the retro look we had decided on and the fridge was always a talking point when visitors called in.

However, we live in Central Queensland and the fridge didn't like the heat. I would have to mop up all the water from the bottom of the fridge about 3 times a day due to the condensation and given that we eat a high degree of vegetables it meant a lot of condensation. Smeg recommends keeping all of your vegetable in containers, I tried that but the problem still persisted. My kids used to say that it's a retro style with retro technology as I was always defrosting it and cleaning it and juggling the food around in it.

Fortunately my husband had purchased this fridge at Harvey Norman and also purchased the customer care plan. So I called them and 2 years after our purchase they sent out a repairman who confirmed my worst fears, sadly the fridge isn't suitable in a hot climate. Smeg have now upgraded the fab32 fridges and it is believed that the newer model may work better than the older model in the heat as it is now frost free.

I was given two options, to have a store credit to purchase a new fridge or pay about another $1,100 for the newer model Smeg. I decided after much thought not to go with the newer model Smeg and select a practical LG door in door stainless steel fridge which I have to say works well but really is out of place in my cottage. Perhaps after we build this one in with cabinets it may look okay but it can never be a patch on the style of a beautiful Smeg fab32.

I think if you live in the southern states and don't have your fridge full of fruit and veggies it will probably be fine. Perhaps I should have taken the risk and tried the newer model here to see if it would cope with the heat, but another $1,100 was a lot of money for a trial. I do miss my beautiful fridge even if it was impracticable.
I loved the style
Fridge was always full of water due to constant condensation

I've had my orange FAB32 fridge for four years and I love it as much now as I did when I first saw this version overseas around six years ago. I ordered mine as soon as this two-door upside-down version was available in Australia. I have never regretted the purchase decision. It was expensive and certainly a luxury but given what it looks like I don't think it is over-priced.
I have never owned a fridge, or any other appliance for that matter, that gets so many comments from visitors. I have people hug it, drool over it, open and shut it etc. People are drawn to it the minute they walk in my apartment.
I highly recommend spoiling yourself and buying one.
It is beautiful. I love it. My friends love it. It is an item of iconic design. It uses very little power. It has a compact footprint but holds all I need it to easily. It comes in a range of colours and patterns (my is orange). It keeps my food and beverages cool and it looks cool ... what more could anyone ask for from a fridge? Smeg even do a matching free-standing dishwasher!
There is nothing I dislike about this product

Smeg I realy realy need a pink one of these please send me one! I dream about this fridge!

Hi is this an interchangeable door opening? Like can I hinge the door on the left or right side
I don't think so as when you order you pick left or right hingedYes it’s available hinged both left and right. Just specify when you order. The model number will be slightly differentHi Alison, No they are not interchangeable, however as mentioned above you can purchase them opening either left or right. Regards, Smeg Tech Support.

Smeg Retro Style FAB32RBLNA1 (Black)Smeg Retro Style FAB32RORNA1 (Orange)Smeg Retro Style FAB32RBENA1 (Dark Blue)Smeg Retro Style FAB32RLINA1 (Lime Green)Smeg Retro Style FAB32RWHNA1 (White)Smeg Retro Style FAB32RRDNA1 (Red)Smeg Retro Style FAB32RPKNA1 (Pink)Smeg Retro Style FAB32RPGNA1 (Pastel Green)Smeg Retro Style FAB32RPBNA1 (Pale Blue)Smeg Retro Style FAB32RCRNA1 (Cream)Smeg Retro Style FAB32RSVNA1 (Silver)
CategoryBottom Mount Fridges / RefrigeratorsBottom Mount Fridges / RefrigeratorsBottom Mount Fridges / RefrigeratorsBottom Mount Fridges / RefrigeratorsBottom Mount Fridges / RefrigeratorsBottom Mount Fridges / RefrigeratorsBottom Mount Fridges / RefrigeratorsBottom Mount Fridges / RefrigeratorsBottom Mount Fridges / RefrigeratorsBottom Mount Fridges / RefrigeratorsBottom Mount Fridges / Refrigerators
Price (RRP) $3,650$3,650$3,650$3,650$3,650$3,650$3,650$3,650$3,650$3,650$3,650
Dimensions 1926 x 600 x 720 mm1926 x 600 x 720 mm1926 x 600 x 720 mm1926 x 600 x 720 mm1926 x 600 x 720 mm1926 x 600 x 720 mm1926 x 600 x 720 mm1926 x 600 x 720 mm1926 x 600 x 720 mm1926 x 600 x 720 mm1926 x 600 x 720 mm
Energy Rating3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)3.5 star(s)
Household Size 1-2 people1-2 people1-2 people1-2 people1-2 people1-2 people1-2 people1-2 people1-2 people1-2 people1-2 people
FeaturesFrost Free and Wine RackFrost Free and Wine RackFrost Free and Wine RackFrost Free and Wine RackFrost Free and Wine RackFrost Free and Wine RackFrost Free and Wine RackFrost Free and Wine RackFrost Free and Wine RackFrost Free and Wine RackFrost Free and Wine Rack
Colour / Finish BlackOrangeDark BlueLime GreenWhiteRedPinkPastel GreenPale BlueCreamSilver
Handle Type External External External External External External External External External External External
Smart Fridge NoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNoNo
Shelf MaterialGlassGlassGlassGlassGlassGlassGlassGlassGlassGlassGlass
Number of Shelves33333333333
Number of Fruit & Vegetable Bins 11111111111
Door Hinge RightRightRightRightRightRightRightRightRightRightRight
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Capacity
Total Capacity 304 L304 L304 L304 L304 L304 L304 L304 L304 L304 L304 L
Fridge Capacity 229 L229 L229 L229 L229 L229 L229 L229 L229 L229 L229 L
Freezer Capacity 75 L75 L75 L75 L75 L75 L75 L75 L75 L75 L75 L
Release dateSep 2008Sep 2008Sep 2008Sep 2008Sep 2008Sep 2008Sep 2008Sep 2008Sep 2008Sep 2008Sep 2008

• GTIN13: 8017709116002, 8017709116026, 8017709116057, 8017709116064, 8017709116071, 8017709116088, 8017709116095, 8017709116101, 8017709116118, 8017709116132, 8017709116149, 8017709116156, 8017709116163, 8017709116170, 8017709116194 and 8017709116200