Smeg SBIM30X

Smeg SBIM30X

Hate it....waste of money with lack of customer service

The steam builds up in the LCD screen which can not be good for the electrics. Drips water in my new kitchen cupboard.
Poor response from smeg. Unusable
It’s like buying a new car and being told don’t go over 80km or it will over heat!!!

Purchased in August 2018 for $1,080.00.

Big Disappointment

We purchased this microwave in 2012 because we were putting in a new kitchen and it looked great combined with the smeg oven underneath and we did not want to use the grill the oven so the convection oven sounded great. The convection part was most unsatisfactory and took so long to cook meat we didn't bother to use it again for that.
After about 18 months the enamel started peeling on the inside of the unit and Smeg did replace the microwave under warranty. After a few months the new microwave started to overheat and cut out. and so back to the service shop until the components were replaced .
Now last month the microwave no 2 started smelling strongly of electrical burning. So back to the workshop and the news was not good. The main control board and a door switch holder needed replacing.I contacted Smeg Customer Service and although the microwave was out of warranty they agreed to pay for 50% of the cost of the parts. Thank you Smeg because this is and the fact that we have a big hole in our new kitchen where the microwave goes are the only reasons that we are giving this microwave one last chance.
The design of the unit looks great but everything else about this product is so substandard for a brand with such a good name for quality. The Smeg Oven we purchased at the same time is fabulous. Touch wood!!!

Date PurchasedOct 2012
Dear Julie, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and also who has been doing the service. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Microwave overheating.

This is my second SMEG microwave and I am unsatisfied with the cooking and overheating. The first one was replaced after 2 years because of an ongoing overheating problem which would cause the oven to switch off. At times I has microwave dishes melting on the base! Service people from MAS were excellent, tried to repair it then I had to call them in again and then it was replaced in November 2017. Now 6 months later same problems with overheating and melting microwave dishes. I have reported it and they are sending a technician out next week. I am seriously disappointed in the SMEG quality and performance with this appliance. It looks nice and matches the SMEG oven but the performance and problems is disappointing and frustrating.
Reading the reviews on this page it is the same problem for many people with this model.
My new model was provided in November 2017 as a replacement but it has exactly the same problem.

Date PurchasedApr 2015
Dear Denise, Sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing with the microwave oven.Could you please email our National Service Manager, steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your telephone contact details, address and the problems you are experiencing with your appliance. Once he has this information, he can ascertain how to best rectify the problem. Regards Smeg

This SMEG Microwave really isn't up to spec!

I've had this since Oct and bought it as part of the promotion $6000 or more....Adore the double oven!
This Microwave has burned the bottom of two expensive Tupperware Microwave containers!!
The bottoms get so hot they melt.
I had a Panasonic Convection which I replaced with the SMEG-Bad choice!

Date PurchasedOct 2016
Dear Bern999, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenI'd like to say a massive thankyou to Steve and Smeg for their extraordinary customer service. Within a day of posting this review I was called by Smeg to better understand the issues. A few days later a technician was on site to replace the Microwave with another model better suited to our needs. Very, very happy. What more could you ask for? Amazing!!

It's slow and unreliable

Unfortunately we bought a house with this microwave and a smeg double oven that were installed by the previous owners during a kitchen upgrade, shortly before the sale. We have already replaced the double oven ( the electronic controls only worked occasionally) and the microwave is slow, and just simply turns off occasionally during use. (The power just stops for a few minutes). We will be replacing the microwave. I'm disappointed as I expected smeg product to be high quality. Our experience is not good Buy something else. Nothing we can do about the product now

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Dear Barry, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and telephone contact details. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenThanks Steve. I've done as requested. Thank you for taking the time to read and take notice. Really appreciated. Cheers. BarryThe service man called and did what he could. I am very happy with the care and concern that Steve showed. Well done. While at our home the serviceman fixed up a fault with the double oven. Really good after sales service.

Complete Rubbish

I agree with the previous reviews. This microwave is a lemon.
I replaced my previous Smeg convection microwave which blew up, with this one. We purchased this because we were told it was a convection microwave and it was the closest fit for the space above our oven.
It is not convection.
The instruction manual is useless.
The defrost function is useless.
The steamer is useless.
I have also burnt myself getting things out of it.
The bottom gets very hot and so do the dishes.
Food doesn't cook evenly.
I am so disappointed.
I love to cook but unfortunately this appliance rarely gets used.
What a waste of money

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Dear Charmaine, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and telephone contact details and also scan me a copy of the purchase receipt. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenI thought I should also reply to my review and say how pleased I am with the way you dealt with my problems Steve. I am more than happy with the outcome and would be happy to purchase Smeg appliances in the future. Many thanks

I have NEVER been so disappointed in an appliance that I have bought in my life

I am not satisfied with the cooking results. Heating milk takes in a mug takes 3 minutes where as my previous machines worked in half the time.
It has cut out completely twice. Every thing takes at least twice as long to cook.
There was no sample recepies that I could use as examples.
It came very highly recommended by the supplier and was very expensive but your brand was a name I respected and thought was superior so decided to purchase the SBIM30X. It blew a fuse in December 1015. It was still under warranty and it was fixed.
The only positive thing, if you can call it that, is the machine fits the space and it looks like it should do something. Hence the one star.
It is a white Elephant. I rarely use it.
I agree totally with every statements that have been made by the previous buyers reviews. A very sorry indictment against a once trusted Smeg.

Date PurchasedDec 2015
Dear Linda, could you please email our National Service Manager, steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your contact details, address and the problems you are experiencing with your appliance. Once he has this information, he can ascertain how to best rectify the problem. Regards SmegI would like to thank Steve Cullen for his prompt attention to the above review. He has resolved my problem in a most satisfactory manner. Thank you Steve.

Smeg Rubbish

Disappointed with this purchase as part of a $8,000 SMEG kitchen package. Microwave gets extremely hot and It burns things. If I could return it and get my money back I would. Its over-rated and an expensive glorified microwave. Not sure how this has been approved as it is dangerous..

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Dear Janell, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, I have also put my details on the other comments so could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Persevered for no good reason, obviously

Why oh why didn't I read these reviews before buying this lemon as part of a total Smeg kitchen package from Harvey Norman Maroochydore??
Renovating our kitchen in late 2015 we bought the Smeg induction cooktop (which failed and had to have replacement parts).... Smeg dishwasher (which has a cutlery tray that if in place means I can't load my glasses... If I drop the top tray then my plates don't fit... Sigh... Took the cutlery tray out)... Smeg oven (so far so good.... Touch wood).... And this Smeg built in microwave..... Have had it checked by a Smeg service technician...when they fixed the cooktop... "It's fine".... Apparently. No, it is not. From ridiculously extended cook times to burning out the bottoms of my microwave dishes... I sat down tonight to put it on gumtree but to be honest I can't in all good faith burden someone else with it. This review forum has given me some hope that I should ask for a refund... But from Smeg or Harvey Norman I wonder...Interesting that it's been discontinued. I always thought that Smeg was a good brand... I've had Bosch and Miele in the past.. Should've stuck with what I knew.

Date PurchasedOct 2015
The other reviews encouraged me to contact Harvey Norman Maroochydore this morning and they suggested I contacted Smeg directly... my husband organised the repairs and review of the cooktop and this microwave last time. This time it's my turn... just hoping for a positive outcome.Dear Kerrie, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

I got Smegged, good and proper!

Ah yes, the SBIM30X-1 25 litre Built-in Microwave. What a complete waste of money. This microwave is so bad that you'll avoid even trying to use it! Examples: this microwave heats (and I use that term loosely) 140mls of fridge cold milk to room temperature in 40 seconds. My old clanger did it in 15 seconds. Steamed potatoes cook from the bottom up, leaving you with a wrinkled mass at the base and raw at the top. It's a complete waste of effort to try and use it!
The flat base heats up to such an extent that I have burnt myself taking a dish out. The WHOLE base heats to turn condensation to steam! It has melted my microwave cookware! The food didn't cook but it melted the cookware.
Service has been erratic. I have been talked down to in a condescending manner, basically told I was lying, despite a serviceman confirming my claims and Smeg have treated me appallingly. They didn't keep promises, made false assurances and have left me in limbo. I'm still waiting after months.
Thanks for nothing, Smeg!

Expensive Rubbish!

Rubbish unless I'm using incorrectly. Burns things. The base gets extremely hot. Inside the door and inside the control panel fill with moisture when steaming. Take 2 hours to clear. We replaced our old reliable workhorse as we were getting a new kitchen. Microwave is built in so that presents a problem to change.

Paid top $ for a lemon

SMEG!!!!! This broke microwave safe plates & burned the pop corn bag to a crisp. The bottom glass element heats up like crazy on the microwave setting and is dangerous. We had it serviced and still no change to operation. Called SMEG x5 and they kept on handballing the issue on. After service support has been terrible for such an expensive item. The showroom couldn't even give us any advice on the model

We did a kitchen reno with an inbuilt microwave cabinet and this has spoiled our new kitchen.

The guys at Harvey Norman have been assisting us in repair/replacement

UPDATE - SMEG has given us a full refund on the microwave - Jye

Piece of crap, don't buy

Sorry for the language but I'm so disappointed with this product. It's a built in microwave which means I can't easily replace it with a different brand. My new dream kitchen has now a microwave that looks great but doesn't work .....and I have 3 little kids....great.
Doesn't heat properly, takes 3 times as long, when you use full power it shuts itself down, or shuts your power down. Also had technician look at it, everything works accordingly ...?!
Going back to Harvey Norman because I want my money back.

Worst Microwave I've ever owned.

I bought this when I renewed my kitchen, replacing all my Miele appliances with SMEG, which I'd always heard good things about. The microwave is awful. Cooking things can take up to 3 times as long and it's not evenly done. For example, frozen peas in every other microwave I've ever owned, took between 2.5 and 3.5 minutes; in this one, anything up to 5 minutes and I have to stir them twice. A baked potato in my old oven took 5 minutes, now it takes 8 minutes and if I don't change its position, it won't be cooked at all in some places.
It's so bad, I got a technician out to look at it, thinking there was something wrong, but he said it was just an inefficient design. This microwave has a steamer, but it takes about 40 minutes to steam vegetables in it. Why would you bother? Additionally, the base gets dangerously hot, like a regular oven. The instructions are barely English and talk about the most obscure food - who steams bread? I am really unhappy with this product.