Sonos Play:1

See the Best Speakers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Can’t play from iPhone

I have bought 4 sonos speakers over time and could play music stored on my iPhone. Now they have discontinued supporting this capability. Wasted my money on this. Don’t buy it.

Purchased in April 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores.

Un-usable

The speaker has not made it through 2 songs without completely cutting out. It fails to load songs so any tiny disruption in Wifi will completely ruin any playlist. #dontmakethesamemistakeidid

Purchased in February 2017 at JB Hi-Fi for $300.00.

Best streaming wireless speakers around

Super simple to set up.
True sound quality.
Works well in weak wifi area.
High reliability.
Great partnership with lots of streaming services.
Easy to connect with other sonos great.
Easy to use app.

Expensive if you need to set up a lot of rooms etc.

Purchased in February 2019 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $250.00.

My favourite speaker!

I love this speaker. I use it almost every day, easy to connect to play music, and has the best sound for a room. One speaker is enough for a big room. Looks good as well. I find it drops out a lot and doesn’t connect at times, which is an ongoing problem with the speaker.

Purchased in December 2017.

Love these

Can be used individually or as part of home theater system which is amazing. The only thing we didnt like was the alexa integration as anytime the TV said anytthing that sounded remotely like Alexa the sound cut out. We turned that feature off after a while.

Purchased in June 2018 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $249.50.

Speakers

Great quality sound but it trys to be a cimputer. Micro manages updates, makes you pay for music, dosnnt let you use free music. Dont recommend unless you want the apple managent scenario

Purchased in May 2018 for $400.00.

Impossible to set up, choose another wireless speaker system

This system is very difficult to get to work. If you are an it man or woman you probably will have great luck otherwise, choose another system.

I have a few different homes and we'll move the system two different wireless routers and it usually takes somewhere between 30 minutes to an hour to get the system to see the new network. If you are an apple person and expecting plug-and-play, think again with this system. It is not intuitive and almost impossible to set up. You will be spending hours and hours trying to get it to work on your network. There are many other easier to use systems. This is unfortunate because the speaker quality is good, but usability is -10.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Good but can have issues

Good sound but it can have connection issues if your wifi isn’t strong. It is nice being able to stream music and control the speakers using your phone. Can build in modular fashion. Annoying when music is disconnected or interrupted. Hopefully they will come ntinue to improve software to increase reliability.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Garbage

Forced WiFi, has its own app? Absolutely terrible. I can’t even use Spotify since it won’t connect, its not blue tooth either which makes no sense. Why would this product not be blue tooth and have its own app it just makes no sense. I’m returning to tomorrow since it was a genuine waste of 140.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Frustrating Alexa

Great sound particularly with a pair linked in stereo. I am very happy with the sound from these speakers from Opera,to Country and to World music of all different genres
I also have a Google Home which is most affable to use, But Alexa in the Sonos 1 speakers is the most frustrating voice assistant ever. Its voice recognition is patchy to say the least! I have it connected to Spotify which it may or may not find what I request. It works OK when I connect thru Mobile Spotify app. And it certainly does not " Learn" ----Not happy at all with Alexa
But the Sonos 1 speakers are just great

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Great sound TERRIBLE SET UP AND OPERATING SYSTEM IN GENERAL

- The sound is good once you get it working no REMOTE CONTROL is a real issue ,Does not give the consumer options besides using phone app .
- If a phone call comes in and Im playing music from my iPhone it doesn't cut out so you have to find the app wait for it to load and mute or mute manually if your close to the system.
- The SONOS app is really unreliable and if it doesnt connect ( which happens way to often ) you cannot use the remote , it also takes ages to load , so its not really user friendly .
- The Sonos Support is very mediocre while they get back to you instantly the info provided you is bog standard messaging they send out to everyone that inquires.
- Wouldn't recommend this brand and would go with BOSE.
- Sound is very good , so its a shame that the system lets this brand down.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Awesome sound

This speaker is great! Works on WiFi and can be connected to Alexa.
I love the sound that it creates, low, mids and highs are clear. It's amazing how the sound travels to farther areas without the volume being too high. I guess the initial set up is important for the speaker to recognise the whole area.
Initially, I bought one to test and already ordered the second one.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Good once I got it going

The audio quality is brilliant on this speaker. Application will take a little bit of getting used to. It did take me about 2.5 hours to get the thing starting because it would not recognize the device (even when I had Ethernet plugged in). Never the less, after a few 'switch on- switch offs' it found itself and worked

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Small box big sound

As the title says absolutely great sound in this little box. I bought two of these great looking speakers for my living room and yes that filled the room worth great clear music every time I play them. That work with your wifi so you can use your phone normal and no interruptions when attending calls unlikely Bluetooth you have to be in range and interrupted calls. Loving them so far and planning to buy bar and base as well.

No line in

There is no line in, which greatly limits the usefullness of this product for me. I couldn't believe that they did not include this in a speaker which costs several hundreds of dollers, it would have been a matter of cents for the physical components required to do this.

- in short i cannot use this product as a general purpose speaker, for tasks like:
- playing audio through my pc desktop.
- playing audio outside my wifi area (taking on holiday etc).
- playing audio for youtube.
- playing audio from netflix through my laptop etc.

I can only use it for:
- Certain music streaming services
- Radio streaming services
- AudioBook streaming services

The user experience in the app is also quite bad.

March 3rd 2019 Update: Useless

Cannot connect to modern wifi networks! 2.4ghz only cannot connect to a 5ghz network.
No bluetooth connection option.
No physical line in option.
Totally useless! Get yourself a bluetooth speaker instead.

Purchased in December 2017.

Added to my system and still loving it

I have the Play:5 and bought the Play:1 to go into my sewing room downstairs.
Really happy with the sound, for such a small unit.
I was able to add the new speaker with no issues.
Negatives are the same as with the 5 - you need to have reliable wifi.
* there is no usb port in the speakers. Had I fully comprehended I would have gone with another system that had usb ports.
But the majority of the time it does what i want and plays the music i want to hear.

Only Good For Spotify Premium Members

Very disappointed with the Sonos speakers. These were sold to us with the understanding that we could Bluetooth our music throughout our house in various rooms from our phones, iPad, computers etc, our children having their own music in their area, our living room entertained by other music, and music by the pool entertaining by alternative music.

All we are now left with after spending the money (along with additional wall mounts - which can I say are an extortionate cost nearly exceeding the price of the speakers itself) we are left with random radio stations from around the world.

I love music, but if there is one thing I can't tolerate, it's radio stations with repetitive adverts and cheesy - unfunny radio hosts, and to much talking.

We even paid extra for electricians to install the additional power points and mounts, only to be left with RADIO STATIONS to entertain our guests.

Spotify serves well with our range of music taste, and I do know that I can subscribe to a premium Spotify membership, which I refuse to do because I shouldn't have to pay $15 per month for something I use only 1-2 days each month to entertain friends.

Fail for Spotify free users

Great sound not worth the money when you can’t use it for everything you want, wouldn’t have purchased if I had known you have to get Spotify premium to use Spotify. Couldn’t decide between the Bose system and Sonos when purchasing should have gone with the Bose. At least with the bose speakers you can use them with anything you want at no extra cost.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Good for those who love to stream with reliable Wifi

Have heard lots about Sonos being the number one for premium wireless sound, so decided to try one out.

Sound quality is great, crisp and clear and surprisingly loud for something so small. I can understand why they are so appreciated. But after that, i can't say i'm sold on them. If you're purely after sound quality for use at home (over wifi) i can't and won't fault them (my ratings reflect this). But i guess that's one of the issues of the matter - it needs a good wifi connection. And thanks to the NBN, that's something i don't have. Not only that, they need to be permanently connected to power, so aren't portable - hence another reason why they're great (only) for home use.

So, for my purposes, a bluetooth speaker suits my needs more. Bluetooth speakers are portable (with a built-in battery) so they can be taken around with you anywhere. Many of them have waterproof ratings too. They aren't reliant on flaky (never can pick the right time of day or night) wifi connections. All you need is a device with a reliable bluetooth connection, which luckily i do. I acknowledge the sound quality does take quite a hit because of this, but the versatility and convenience on offer without the reliance on (handicapped) wifi makes it a more balanced choice.

Long story short - get one if you want great sound at home (i believe you can get 2 and make it stereo sound) and you have strong and reliable wifi. Otherwise, for something more versatile and portable, maybe look elsewhere.
My search continues...

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Simply brilliant

I looked at Sonos systems a year ago but felt they were too expensive. Then, in the NewYear sales 2018 we saw some serious price reductions. I managed to pick up 2 x Sonos Play:1 speakers for under $200 each. This means that for less than $400 you have a seriously good stereo system. Combine this with a very affordable Spotify subscription and you have access to most of the world's recorded music at a quality that anyone but the most pedantic audiophile would be happy with. Setup was a breeze. I have now ripped my entire CD collection on to a NAS drive and the Sonos system can access that too. The IOS App also works very well.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Bought the Play 1 to test the Sonos ecosystem, thinking wifi might improve on bluetooth and intrigued about the whole house concept. Having severe trouble with skipping songs. Weird thing is the the symptoms change slightly - error about connection to the server (when using Spotify Premium and Apple Music), error about "Unable to play selected song", songs just skipping immediately to the next song no error message, Sonos iOS app spontaneously restarting. Sonos support very quick to respond with a specific suggestion about the Wifi channel (implemented) and looked at possible radio interference from a wireless phone (not sure what to do about that as the phone base is connected to the cable modem near the wifi router). Everything is updated - firmware, apps - still having the issue. Really frustrating as the sound quality is great and I can see why people fall in love with the system. Any helpful suggestions gratefully received before I return the unit after NYE?
Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having, because sonos are one of the best sound system on the planet...It sounds like your Wi-Fi connection the reason why it's dropping out too much interference somewhere...if you can pin point the problem I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your sonos speaker, I have two play1 and I love listening to my music through them...good luck I hope you find the problem...Glad to see Sonos responded quickly - that's also my experience (though not over the NY festive season). Seems you are a PAY listener, so access via PAY channels ought be good. I only use free channels and Sonos has ditched just about all in favour of the PAY system For that reason, my several Sonos's are sitting idle. Like Cliff, I suspect the problem is with your phone. If your WiFi connectivity is minimal, then that will cause the outcome you describe. Thatt is especially the case on a Sonos Play 1 ONLY (many use the bridge to combat this, though not normally a necessity). One way to 'decide' on the location of the 'fault' is to play (already) downloaded songs. As these are not streaming in, then you can likely rule out whether it is the streaming process. If the errors continue, check your internal WiFi settings. Hope this helps.

CategorySpeakers