Sonos Play:1

Sonos Play:1

MPN: SP1W
See the Best Speakers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Sonos? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

darren40
darren40

Wouldn't recommend

Originally recommended and installed Sonos to customers but after continually going back at no charge to reboot and re-setup changed to Yamaha WXA -50 and never have a problem and much better app

Brendan B.
Brendan B.Sydney, NSW

Oh Dear! My Play won't play

My Sonos Play 1 worked wonderfully until Sonos introduced their S2 upgrade. Now my Play 1 is a Play Nothing. I took a look around the Internet to discover that hundreds of people have had the same problem. ... and Sonos Customer Service is blaming the customer. Oh and Sonos customer service blamed me. My Play 1 doesn't play anymore.

Purchased in January 2020 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $300.00.

performance has crashed

Very happy with sonos speakers when I first bought them. But recently connectivity issues have made my enjoyment of them virtually nil. Upgrading to S2 system would require upgrading half my speakers, which I'm not prepared to do, Sonos shouldn't just cancel support of existing speakers. Very disappointed.

Melb-rtz
Melb-rtzGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Connection to app not great

Connection to the app is often intermittent and you are restricted to what you can play. non support of airplay is a big negative. Sound quality is great don't expect too much base, for that these smart guys want you to buy a sub seperate.

Purchased in October 2020.

complete disregard for the consumer

never in my life have I experience worse customer service than what i have received from this company. complete disregard for my concerns and told that this is not there problem.

Purchased in August 2020 for $600.00.

toasted
toastedSouth East Queensland, QLD

Unreliable, constant "updates", unsupported

Purchased in June 2015 for $2,150.00.

Vvvvvvvvvv
VvvvvvvvvvMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Beware

Great product but is completely dependent on Sonos’ proprietary operating system. They have a well known track record of not supporting old devices and forcing upgrades. Many long term users are furious, particularly considering that Sonos units are expensive. If you want something to last more than 5 years and don’t have a ton of spare cash go with something else.

Tami
TamiSydney, NSW

Not worth the hassle

I love that I can use Spotify on the speaker as my alarm but the amount of times I've had to physically turn the speaker off to stop the alarm because the app won't open, doesn't show the alarm is playing and/or at least 3 times a week it removes my alarms and I have to rest it again.

I've reported the problem to Sonos multiple times but they only provide basic trouble shooting and passive aggressive condescension in their emails.

Purchased in September 2014 for $250.00.

Other Speakers

Don't WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!

I paid big money for a system, that I constantly have to update or do something, put another code in and update bride.
I just want to turn it on and listen to "MUSIC", it's that simple

Purchased in February 2016 for $2,400.00.

DJW
DJWGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

The speakers work fine - just don't change your router

This is the second time I've had my Sonos interrupted because the app is not sophisticated enough to detect changes. Thanks to the NBN roll out I had to change my router. Now I am unable to connect my speakers to my wifi. I've followed ALL the instructions. The very patient support team have tried to help via Twitter. This is not a "frictionless" experience - and I'm on the cusp of selling the speakers out of frustration.

Purchased in December 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $300.00.

Ben
Ben

Unreliable and the customer support is terrible

Sonos has great sound when everything is working well. But sometimes it cuts out, and when there are issues the customer support has been either terrible or non existent. Spoken to different people, and they have offered me the exact same advice, after I've already done it. Havn't been able to speak to someone on the phone yet. I'm in a new house for over a month and still don't have my wireless setup.

Purchased in January 2019 for $200.00.

Disappointing

Kate P
Kate PSydney

Don't buy if you want to play music stored on iPhone

I invested almost $2k in Sonos speakers. The sound quality is great but they no longer support playing music from iPhone - will only stream Spotify from your mobile device. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2922?language=en_US

What a total waste. I have gone and bought a couple of little Megaboom speakers. They work perfectly with streaming my iPhone playlists. Now I have $2k worth of useless Sonos speakers.

Purchased in September 2015 for $2,000.00.

The Critic
The CriticSydney, NSW

Can’t play from iPhone

I have bought 4 sonos speakers over time and could play music stored on my iPhone. Now they have discontinued supporting this capability. Wasted my money on this. Don’t buy it.

Purchased in April 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores.

Un-usable

The speaker has not made it through 2 songs without completely cutting out. It fails to load songs so any tiny disruption in Wifi will completely ruin any playlist. #dontmakethesamemistakeidid

Purchased in February 2017 at JB Hi-Fi for $300.00.

Read more reviews - page 2

timld
timldasked

Bought the Play 1 to test the Sonos ecosystem, thinking wifi might improve on bluetooth and intrigued about the whole house concept.
Having severe trouble with skipping songs. Weird thing is the the symptoms change slightly - error about connection to the server (when using Spotify Premium and Apple Music), error about "Unable to play selected song", songs just skipping immediately to the next song no error message, Sonos iOS app spontaneously restarting.
Sonos support very quick to respond with a specific suggestion about the Wifi channel (implemented) and looked at possible radio interference from a wireless phone (not sure what to do about that as the phone base is connected to the cable modem near the wifi router). Everything is updated - firmware, apps - still having the issue.
Really frustrating as the sound quality is great and I can see why people fall in love with the system.
Any helpful suggestions gratefully received before I return the unit after NYE?

Cliff
Cliff

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are having, because sonos are one of the best sound system on the planet...It sounds like your Wi-Fi connection the reason why it's dropping out too much interference somewhere...if you can pin point the problem I'm sure you won't be disappointed with your sonos speaker, I have two play1 and I love listening to my music through them...good luck I hope you find the problem...

Glad to see Sonos responded quickly - that's also my experience (though not over the NY festive season).

Seems you are a PAY listener, so access via PAY channels ought be good. I only use free channels and Sonos has ditched just about all in favour of the PAY system For that reason, my several Sonos's are sitting idle.

Like Cliff, I suspect the problem is with your phone. If your WiFi connectivity is minimal, then that will cause the outcome you describe. Thatt is especially the case on a Sonos Play 1 ONLY (many use the bridge to combat this, though not normally a necessity).

One way to 'decide' on the location of the 'fault' is to play (already) downloaded songs. As these are not streaming in, then you can likely rule out whether it is the streaming process. If the errors continue, check your internal WiFi settings.

Hope this helps.