Sonos Play:5

Sonos Play:5

2015 and 2009

See the Best Speakers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Ben

Ben

Stopped working after warranty period expires

I won’t expect Sonos products to last more than 12 months. They cannot offer warranty any longer than a year. I bought 12 Sonos products over the past 5 years and 2 of them have failed so far.

They want to replace my 5yo sub with a refurbished unit for $700. Ridiculous. I would think a decent $1k sub can last 10-20 yrs.

I have resolved to not getting anymore Sonos products after realising its poor workmanship and warranty.

Jamie F.

Jamie F.

Great system but!!!!!

Craig

CraigMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Sound quality amazing, but the software is the pits.

Purchased in April 2017 at JB Hi-Fi for $299.00.

Gemmajams

GemmajamsSydney, NSW

Can only play if subscribed to a platform like Spotify

The sound is good but the problem is with Sonos you are locked in to premium services. I just ended my Spotify subscription which was still paid up till the end of the month , but they instantly shut it down so I couldn't use the speaker. I have now ordered a Bose Wi-Fi adaptor.
It will probably end up in the garbage bin.

Purchased in April 2018 at Aussie Hi Fi Online store for $200.00.

Great sound, and great control...if!

These sound great, and are very versatile.. I have read a lot of reviews regarding problems with spotify connectivity, and i have to say they are correct if you use the spotify app to control your speakers..constant disconnections and rage moments. I have found that using the sonos app instead and linking it to your spotify that way it is actually seamless and very good.
So don't be put off by nasty spotify problems, just use the sonos app and everything is awesome. 4 stars because they cost a hell of a lot.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Justus04

Justus04South East Queensland, QLD

Nice when it works, frustrating when it's not

Good enough sound for normal home use and easy to expand by adding more speakers. Unfortunately extremely unreliable connection to both the speakers and to Spotify. Have to reboot to regularly and sometimes just doesn't want to connect to any speakers (2 x Play 5, 1 x Play 3 and 1 x Play 1). When working, Spotify can be very patchy with just randomly stopping of skipping songs. I tried different WiFi routers and noticed some are not compatible with Sonos at all. I still have a bridge connected and even tried the booster for a while.

Date PurchasedAug 2012

Damo

Damo

Not worth it. Good sound but constantly buggy.

Great sound when it works, but the system frequently loses my music library (on a new Mac), and drops out/skips songs despite high speed reliable internet and router. Far too buggy for a product of this price. I'd suggest Bose or another brand that doesn't lock you into its software. The sonos also won't play a lot of songs that exist in my spotify library.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

George

GeorgeNorthcote

Great value for money!

I was looking for a system for the living room for a while. Sonos 5 was a well researched option and it did not disappoint. The system works great for most type of music in a (35 sqm room) i.e. would not recommend for Classical but for all other kinds the sound is wholesome and enjoyable, this is not an audiophile system but a solid choice for everyone else. The aux input comes handy and connecting with the TV, gives new life to movies and shows! The set up was seemless without an issue. The application is easy to use, however, needs a bit getting used to. Online community is a plus as any questions can be answered. Overall, great value for money!

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Braddy

BraddyGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Set up the entire house...

Over the last few years have added Sonos one's, 5 and the new beam for our entire house setup. One of the best wifi speakers on the market without a doubt. Very rarely have any issues with wifi dropping out, works seamlessly, and the sound is remarkable for their size. The 5 in particular is a quality speaker with a huge sound and tone. Sonos are always updating their app and improving their sound too. Very reliable too never once had an issue with any of our units.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Rob

RobAU

Sounds good, app controls terrible

Sounds great when it works.
Dont believe what they say about it being seamless with spotify. Constantly kicks me out or fails to recognise from spotify. Pushes you to the sonos app which is so unusable its hard to believe.
If you're happy to just listen to random stuff I guess it would be ok but once you're used to the usability of spotify you cant go back to sonos app.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Justin

JustinPort Melbourne

NON EXISTENT SUPPORT SERVICES

The product does not appear to connect to wi-fi properly. Whilst it does at times, most of the time it doesn't. When it does the sound is quite good. Phone calls, emails to the Australian support line and an email to the CEO who has his email on the site all to avail.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Pepe

PepeSydney

Perfect wireless sound

I have two Sonos 5 and one sonos 1 distributed through my home and these devices are amazing. The sound is the best I have heard and being able to run radio stations, albums, spotify all wirelessly at a click of a finger from my phone is a treat. I would not hesitate in purchasing from Sonos again.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Kyle

KyleVictoria

'Software Issues'.

Player 5 Gen 1. Great sound quality. Unfortunately only lasted 3 years due to 'Software Issues'. Technical support was good, but no offers were made to replace the unit FOC, instead "Would you like to buy another unit for a discounted price of $500". For any speaker asking a premium price of $750 i would have expected a much better result.

Date PurchasedDec 2014

Catherine

CatherineLaunceston, TAS

Love my Sonos System

Great Product .... Weird Reviews

Seems that the world is divided into two groups - those who love this product and those that hate it. I'm in the former. I did have some minor connectivity issues prior to NBN but perfect since (is this the only thing NBN is good for?). Anyway, great sound, no distortion when up to 11 and personally, I have no problem with the app - very user friendly

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Mickyb

MickybMelbourne

Sonos Play 5 Series 1

Just purchased our Sonos Play 5 Series 1 WiFi speaker and couldn't be happier. We purchased it as an ex demo floor stock from Harvey Norman as it was discounted $250 from the series 2 version. Best value for money option around due to the discounted price. Sound is great even when turned up loud. WiFi works so much better than Bluetooth.
Prior to purchasing I listened to multiple brands and price breaks from $200 up to $450 and this was by far the best performer.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Waste of money

Bought a Sonos Play:5 speaker in June 2017. Pretty disappointed with it. Does not play a large number of albums in my music library and drops out frequently, sometimes after only playing one or two songs. Can never play a full album without it dropping out. Very annoying, especially when entertaining. Have followed their advice re rebooting modem etc with no success. Have tried to uninstall Sonos from my computer with the idea of reinstalling it hoping that would fix the problem but cannot do so as when I try to do this I get a dialogue box saying my password is incorrect, yet it allows me to login to my account on their site using the same password. Should have saved myself $750.00 and stayed with my small bluetooth Bose travel speaker.

warytravelly

warytravellyPerth, WA

Great sound

I went to look for a high end sound system and was introduced to the Sonos 5 2nd edition. So much volume and clarity in such a small box. After taking it home and running my music library and radio via the Sonos app I found the vibrant sound from it great and no distortion when cranked up. I ended going back for a second one and the stereo production is best I have had. Being a small unit means it is not taking a lot of space and as it runs over Wi-Fi I didn't need cables only power.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

GilesLondon

Awful software and Line In (most people use for Bluetooth) is awful

Date PurchasedApr 2012

Amit

AmitSydney

I am sorry, real awful experience

does_integrity_exist

does_integrity_existasked

Play:5 2009

Can I connect a Play 5 to my existing home wifi network or do I need a bridge to create a dedicated network?

Dr. Crashalot
Dr. Crashalot

Yes, to connect to wifi, you need a bridge. The units have Ethernet ports, but not wifi capability. Sonos wireless is proprietary.

Whirlwind

Yep, Crashalot is right, the Play 5 does not need a bridge. However, the Play 5 must then be wired to the modem.

Thanks to you both for your advice

Jamie chia

Jamie chiaasked

Play:5 2009

Why is my sonos not working now its wireless lighting is not flashing and my iphone is telling me to walk within range and its still searching and spinning around.?

Whirlwind

If the light isn't on, double check your power. Still plugged in? Still turned on?

Tommy Chow

Tommy Chowasked

Play:5 2009

Are you able to get stereo effect from two sonos play 5 speakers?

Hennii
Hennii

I only have the one Play:5 in the loungeroom and because our house is so small that's all we have. We have a Play:3 in the husband's man cave in the shed separate. Sorry I can't answer your question from actual practical implementation, although my initial thoughts are yes you probably could, that would be the intent of the Sonos system. Stereo sound from all speakers linked, they are essentially a stand alone speaker that can be connected in sync with others.

Bodalenko
Bodalenko

Yes. Can be switched to a stereo config in the setup menu, as can the Play 3 and Plat 1.

Get an answer from our members and Sonos representatives

Sonos Play:5 2015