SsangYong Kyron D100

SsangYong Kyron D100 (2006-2012)

4.3

• Comfort
  • Features
downunderdaz

downunderdazSouth East Queensland, QLD

Kyron is as good as, if not better than Kluger and similar size wagons.

Purchased in June 2020 for A$2,900.00.

Year2008

Mark3232South Australia

Tough. As. Nails.

Purchased in June 2020 for A$1,000.00.

Year2006

JimLaunceston, TAS

Be good car if you could fix its faults.

Good motor and transmission. Too high geared in overdrive.Steering is heavy and too direct for safety at speed. Electronic controls unpredictable, Will lock itself up with key left in start switch. Bad news if you only have one key with you. Front springing too stiff for off highway roads. Dashboard too dark for good vision of meters! Other wise no worse than many others except for the temp/gauge fault.

Purchased in March 2018 for A$7,500.00.

Year2006

Lyle

LyleWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

Very happy with my Kyron

Had it 9yrs now & is very reliable, cheap to maintain & cruises beautifully on the open road. Excellent 4wd capabilities in the rough stuff as well & tows very well. The large rear space area is a massive bonus, so much more room than any of its competitors. Only hiccup is it falsely indicating overheating very occasionally, easy fixed by pulling over & turning car on & off.

BadgeM270 XDi
Date PurchasedMar 2010
Drive4WD
P Edwards

P EdwardsMelbourne

Ssangyong a masterpiece in the making but flawed by imperfect accessories.

SsangYong 2006 Kyron, diesel 2 Lt Automatic, is a stylish, beautiful to drive powerful and economical vehicle flawed by cheap accessories. I love my Kyron, love the feeling behind the steering wheel. Sadly the general concept of a cheaper alternative with a stylish finish, was well within reach of the Korean manufacturers. Where they failed was their insistence on using the cheapest minor accessories...they failed and destroyed what could have been a masterful innovation in modern day motoring.

Date PurchasedFeb 2006
Zed T

Zed TAU

Great car

Date PurchasedFeb 2012
Anita

AnitaPerth

Excellent SUV and modern looks

Running costs for maintenance and fuel very low for the Diesel range.
Interior very comfortable and the aircon works great after many years .
Engine is low maintenance as there's no spark plugs and the glow plugs of the Diesel range lasts decades with no issues. Average 18" suitable tyers from the manufacturer's recommended Kumho easily last 80000k in the urban use.The car is very spacious and with folded back seats can transport significant amount of goods and still be comfortable to drive. The gear assembly is amazing with multiple ways to operate as full auto or in sports mode for manual drive . Can change from 2WD to 4WD Low or 4WD High on the run without getting out of the vehicle or stopping.

Date PurchasedMay 2009

Temp gauge.

temp gauge goes off the clock for no reason when the speed is over 100km/h. ssangyong does not know how to rectify this problem, they refuse to offer any help. is it possible to find a solution? it is nice to drive but with this kind av problems i don´t know if i can recommande it.

Date PurchasedOct 2006
AndrewA

AndrewADurban, South Africa

Trusty Steed

I've had my Kyron 2.0 XDi Auto for 4 years. Purchased it on 170,000km and I have done 60,000km since purchase.
The ONLY problem I've experienced since purchase is the temp gauge that shoots to max. at times - I find this happens most often when driving on a bumpy road surface.
Service parts are relatively inexpensive as I managed to cross reference the part numbers of agents spares online and have a list of interchangeable parts that work perfectly.
At 230,000km she still runs like a dream (although a tad on the noisy side) and once in 5th on the highway there's no stopping her.

Date PurchasedNov 2012

Find out how SsangYong Kyron D100 compares to other Large / 7 Seater SUVs

Only problem thermostat that made the temp gauge go hairweird

Got the car since 2006 and served me exceptional well, had it travelled more than 200k km, excellent car by overall, the only problem encountered is the temp gauge get into trouble, ssangyong authorized service center was unable to solve it out, but eventually found the solution and it is really cheap to fix than what the workshop suggested, for those encounter problem with temperature gauge, the actual problem is the seized thermostat, not related to temp sensor or other electrical malfunction.

Date PurchasedJun 2006
john.H.

john.H.Kippa ring

Temp. gauge

Ttemp gauge goes off the clock for no reason at all. Ssangyong does not know how to rectify problem they refuse to offer any help to find a solution. I am currently researching if it is possible to fit an after market gauge. If this is not possible, car is virtually useless as when temp gauge rises you are likely to blow engine if it really is overheating.

Alex

AlexPerth, WA

Best Korean SUV Ssangyong ever made

Great 4wd

Have had this vehicle 7 months now has 140000 had a leak in auto when purchased it was getting it serviced anyway there is a sleeve that has a tendency to leak that cost an extra $90 bringing the service total of $305, the only thing that has happened the temperature gauge went right up and started buzzing for no reason we stopped then went right it did it again once more, but engine did not get Hot Tows caravan like it wasn't there, great vehicle all round. By the way the motor and auto are Mercedes Benz. We love the vehicle, this is the 2nd Ssangyong we have owned we had a Muso before this one and no problems. Would buy a brand new if we could afford it.

TransmissionAutomatic

Ssangyong Kyron 2006 - Rear diff failure.

TransmissionManual

In our 8th year and still going strong!

chris

chrisMackay

Great Car except

Its a 2006 and bought it in 2014 because I wanted something to go on the beach fishing which it handles no problem I love the car and started driving it everywhere then the temp gauge started going of the clock but easy fixed stopped the car and restarted all good but the most annoying thing is the motor gets noisy when hot in summer around town and seems to lose power no problem in top gear on the highway just around town but economy is good and it serves its purpose if it was for the noisy motor in summer when it gets hot it would be perfect

BadgeM200 XDi

Great Car except annoying minor electrical faults

Bought new in early 2007 now done 195000 only problem has been temp gauge decides to go off clock have replaced sensor twice still does it, apart from that great all rounder still looks new will drive it till its dead

turns heads

hi I have a kyron 2007 model since I brought it in 2009 with 2500 ks on it I have put a dobinnson 2.5 suspension lift on it . I have put on maxis 275 x 18 tires on has lifted my car up 90mm. it looks mint and many people cant belive were she goes. I have fitted custom bash plates under car for protection. I have put on a diesel chip and it is getting about 130kw 370 tourqe and better fuel . not bad out of a 2.0l motor.
looks price $30000 new.
my car has done 90000ks so far and is driven hard . only prob was wrong oil in rear diff at new.gear box is a bit lazy on 3 to 4th gear kick back but a service should fix prob.

Great allrounder!

Musso-rific
Musso-rific
789 farmer

789 farmer789 farmer

Best vehicle Ive ever owned.

We Have owned our Kyron for Four years and travelled 106,000k. It is the only vehicle that IVe ever owned that I havent had to take back for warranty.We live on a very dusty road that is very difficult keep the dust out. It has been amazing To see inside dust free People are amazed at the quitenes and the comfortable ride that the Kyron gives.The ecomony is excellent.

Walter L.

Walter L.asked

Hi there everyone. This forum is very informative. I just want to make sure that I do pick up on the problem I am facing also. I have a Ssangyong Kyron 2009 xdi 2.7l and facing the same problem with the overheating alarm and no sign of overhearing whatsoever... My mechanic have checked the thermostat, while testing it there was once that it had difficulty opening correctly in hot water and he then made sure it does open the second time testing it... He also made a small hole so that there is some flow like I read earlier over here...

This did not solve the overheating alarm problem at all. Do you think I should just go ahead and attempt to find a new thermostat and that should get it sorted? When I switch the car off and on it would act as if it never happened till the next time which can be a few times a day... so annoying... and what I do see is specially if there is a pull on the power, like hills or many passengers in the car with me.

What I also have noticed and I am not sure if this would even make sense, but... There is a standard and winter mode on the automatic transmission... when the car keeps on giving me the overheat alarm without any actual overheating signs, I shift it to Winter mode... For some reason after changing it to winter mode the car will eventually take off in 2nd gear... and will have slight difficulty taking off but at least then the overheating situation does not happen? This is quite weird...

Last thing also is that I find that loud wind acceleration noise mostly in Winter mode... but sometimes in normal mode too, does this mean I will also have to start looking at the Viscous Clutch fan replacement?

I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice in the right direction. My mechanic is wanting me to take the car to a diagnostic specialist for fault finding and they are not cheap...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanx!

Paula Farleyasked

Hi I have a ssangyong kyron 2009 model. One injector has been replaced to a new one. Other 3 were seized but were unseized. Has a nes fuel filter. But my car still no start cranks but won't turn over. On a few occasions it has mged to start but then conks out. The night it broke down on me I ran out of diesel.

Paula Farley

Also sorry I had a compression
Test done on my ssangyong kyron 2009. Cylinders 1,2 &3 were all 230psi but cylinder 4 was only 50psi. Thanks Paula Farley

Mark3232

Cylinder 4 has critically low compression - too low for combustion. You need to do some investigating on that one before going any further. If there is no simple reason for low compression ie injector not seated on its washer correctly etc, then I'm afraid your engine is likely to be toast.

Jim

Paula a competent mechanic with electronic injection experience should be able to service this problem .Fuel filter maintenance and a reasonable amount of fuel kept in the tank is the only way to avoid this trouble. The injector seatings should be checked for cleanliness and the system bled of air. BOL Jim.

Marie

Marieasked

Hi I have a 2006 kyron auto as I’m driving the temp gauge goes into the red and then the engine goes into limp mode. Stop and restart then all ok. I’m on a long journey right now can anyone help with the problem please?

Mark3232

Have a look at the review I posted. There is a solution for this, but it does involve a bit of work. Start with replacing the relay and the fuse for the ECU. They are located beneath a panel located on the passenger side of the car at the end of the dashboard - you need to have the door open to see and access it. Also, your ECU is probably full of fault codes, you will need to connect it to a scanner and read both the engine and the gearbox as it may have some underlying issues (most probably electrical)

CategoryLarge / 7 Seater SUVs