Good for balance transfer

The balance transfer meant I had to go into a branch which was slightly inconvenient, but everything else about it was easy. I don’t use it for anything else like points or rewards, I just pay it off and find it to be simple and hassle free with a fairly low interest rate.

Rates and Fees
Online Experience
Application Process
Card Start DateJanuary 2018
Main Point of ContactPhone
Card / Account Used ForSpecial Purchases

Made a Complaint re Travel Insurance Provided With SG Credit Cards and They Responded With Thank You

For the first time ever I had reason to seek assistance on my travel insurance provided through St George Bank. I have separately complained to the insurer. I lodged a complaint with St George, and also noted the negative findings on the insurer by the Royal Commission. I got a response back thanking me for my feedback; it was their aim to improve customer service. No St George, you sell your credit card on this insurance, it was not feedback, it was a severe complaint. Fix it, or don't sell it, or change providers.

Spoke at length with St George today. Travel Insurance not their problem. It is the cardholders, and Allianz. Read the fine print and stay away from St George if you are relying on them/your credit card for your travel insurance, or assistance with it. They just flick you back to Allianz. 2. AWP Australia Pty Ltd, ABN 52 097 227 177, AFSL 245631, of 74 High Street, Toowong, QLD 4066 (trading as Allianz Global Assistance) under a binder from the underwriter, Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850, AFSL 234708, has issued an insurance group policy to Westpac Banking Corporation ABN 33 007 457 141 AFSL and Australian credit licence 233714 (Westpac), of 275 Kent Street, Sydney, NSW 2000 which allows eligible St George account holders and cardholders to claim under it as third party beneficiaries. The terms, conditions, limits and exclusions of the group policy are set out in the Credit Card Complimentary Insurance Terms and which may be amended from time to time. Westpac does not guarantee the insurance. You can get a copy of the policy booklet by downloading the Credit Card Complimentary Insurance Terms and Conditions (PDF 278KB).DO NOT TRUST OR RELY ON ST GEORGE CREDIT CARD TRAVEL INSURANCE, OR RELY ON THEM TO CARE. THEY MAY NOT RECEIVE ANY 'COMMISSION OR REMUNERATION IN RELATION TO BENEFITS ', BUT THEY SURE PUT THE TRAVEL INSURANCE DEAL FRONT AND CENTRE ON THEIR CREDIT CARD ADVERTISING TO SUCK US IN. I had a long telephone conversation with the Customer Manager, Customer Resolution and Experience at Westpac at the end of last week. I requested a copy of the conversation recording. In the conversation, which noted my great distress and disgust with both St George and Allianz, I was advised that he would refund my annual fee. Yesterday I got a letter about my 'concern raised on 24 October', no, sir, it was raised in mid September and you guys have constantly ignored it. No mention of the refund he said he would provide, and the final slap in the face? 'Our investigation has found Allianz is the underwriter of the policies detailed in the Credit Card Complimentary Insurance Terms and Conditions. St George Bank is not the product issuer (insurer) of these the policies and neither it nor any of its related corporations guarantee any of the benefits under the cover. St George Bank does not receive any commission or remuneration in relation to benefits specified under the cover. On this occasion, we are unable to service your travel insurance policy. We advise to continue communicating with Allianz Global Assistance in having this matter resolved.' Oh, and if I want to do anything about this, I have to go to the Westpac Customer Advocate - 4 emails to the Customer Advocate since mid September to even get the paltry letter I received yesterday so God help me getting any further with them; the Financial Ombudsman and/or the Financial Complaints Authority. Good on you Mr Customer Manager, Customer Resolution and Experience. Say what you please, do not accurately record the conversation in a letter, do not respond to my request at the time, or follow up email for a copy of the conversation and make me go through the stress of a complaints process. The Royal Commission really achieved much, didn't it.Saved the most shocking for last. Mr Customer Manager, Customer Resolution and Experience, Westpac advised me that I could make a complaint to the Royal Commission re Allianz. He had checked before calling me, that submissions were still open and that I had 1 hour and so many minutes (he stated the number) to get my submission into the Royal Commission. Wow, where do I start with the conclusions and concerns and questions that we could draw from this.

Terrible customer service

Constant issues each month with the direct debit payment. We have to ring up St George each month and they still can't work out how to get the direct debit to work. Very frustrating. How hard is it to debit a bank account to pay the credit card, isn't that the most basic thing for a bank to set up?

The worse application process I've ever experienced, a total waste of my time

I applied with my wife back in spring and the whole process was a nightmare, we sent documents as requested and we were bombarded with sms messages asking us to resend the documents as they hadn't received them. This went on for weeks and weeks as we sent attachments from multiple email accounts and devices in various formats but their systems clearly had a glitch, for which they eventually apologised.

We were persuaded to try again recently as we were assured the technical issues had been fixed and yet the same problems are occurring again!

I've never experienced anything like this before, totally incompetent and an appalling customer experience, don't waste your time.

Terrible Application process via the Phillipines

Process for application cumbersome. You deal with the Philipines. You ring the Phillipines they say yes we received notice of assessment and bank statements. Then they send an email saying docs not received. Utterly hopeless. Amex business card has an efficient streamlined process. Stay away from St George and its Phillipines service staff that you cannot get a sensible response from and is our data safe in the Phillipines. After a drawn out process I receive an SMS saying I cancelled application which I did not. A very disturbing bank one can only imagine what else is going on. Is the Royal Commission looking at St George? Maybe they should.

Non Stated Criteria / Non-Transparency in Applicant Credit Assessment

My major comment on this product was the extremely poor product application experience with unsatisfying application assessment procedures . Firstly, the online application contained very unclear criteria for stating income. It was impossible to interpret how to match the income amount in dollars to the period of income - weekly, monthly, fortnightly monthly or annually. Secondly, the auto -application assessment criteria , opaque to put i mildly, are clearly not in favour of any applicant with high income (>$150K p.a after-tax), extensive assets and zero debt. Yes i know - incredible and ridiculous at that may seem in a financial credit -based product! After a rather unhappy call to their customer service agent, where i was given no cogent or justifiable reason for being denied a credit card , apart from the scripted response: 'you do not meet the banks' credit assessment / lending criteria' (i wonder who would or does?) , I escalated to client manager , who similarly refused to provide a defensible or genuine reason for denying the application (same 'stock' response). I now will take a guess at their assessment criteria.

I have held a couple of credit cards in the past, including frequent flyer awards cards with bonus points, from a couple of other banks (not St George - i have never been a customer). I was diligent in paying all balances on time. I did receive sign-on bonus Qantas points on one of these. I paid off and cancelled these cards recently. I believe they look at applicant's past credit card accounts, and regardless of creditworthiness or payment history , refuse applicants who have been 'shopping' around for or holding for credit card deals with attached frequent flyer points offers in the past. Be that as it may, they continue to offer these cards and special deals , so why wouldn't credit- worthy individuals apply for them? I believe it is verging on misleading and deceptive conduct to advertise or promote these bonus frequent flyer credit deals without clearly stating any hidden restrictions that apply. I am tempted to lodge a complaint with FOS. The only advertised restrictive term of the offer is: "Existing St. George/BankSA/Bank of Melbourne customers who currently hold an Amplify Platinum or Amplify Signature Card, or who have held one in the last 12 months, are not eligible for this offer." I do not meet this excluding condition. Be warned!

Have to send 30% more than you would on an Amex to get the same reward

I have one for business which is on my personal name and I typically are putting between $3000 and $5000 on every month minimum. Rewards on this cards are 30% more expensive than an Amex card.

Flight rewards are not as flexible as Amex and finding a decent hotel on the rewards site is a joke, and when you find it's a ridiculous price. Normally 100 points is worth $1 but on this cards it's 130 to 150 to $1.
Cheap annual free that's all
Rewards not as good as ANZ and Amex

$79 annual fee is hardly value for money

Have had this card for almost 2 years, nothing special with card aside from a reward program (which is no different from many other card providers). I've contacted customer service a number of times, and on all occasions, it is easy to get through to a real human who understands English, able to answer questions. My real gripe is the bank's refusal to waive a $79 annual fee on the ground that the bank is providing a 'service'. Given that other banks are offering card for no fees (at least for the 1st year in many cases), and are prepared to waive the fees in certain cases, this certainly set this card apart for the wrong reason in my view.
Easy to reach customer service
Expensive - annual fee of $79 for what?