Stihl FS 85 / FS 85 R

Noise Level
Safety
A06

A06Armidale

Great trimmer for large block

I replaced a small Hitachi 2-stroke trimmer with this Stihl one after I threw the Hitachi one into the paddock in frustration. It was a horribly underpowered machine attached to a very complicated head and line system. Happy to say the Stihl FS 85 R is neither.

Plenty of power and a simple auto-dispensing line system. Get yourself some decent trimmer line and this will go all day. I use it to tidy up around garden beds and grass borders in our 1 acre garden, very happy with it.

Bought the R model with the loop handle as I wanted to be able to turn it over for edging rather than just brush-cutting with the bike handle model.

Date PurchasedDec 2018
aumegm

aumegmAdelaide, South Australia

Stihl FS 85 R

Have used the FS 85 R in a commercial setting with no issues. If you use the correct fuel ratio, then you shouldn't have any issues. I recommend buying a Sure Tap 2 head and using it in place of the Stihl Auto Cut head that comes with the unit. It is easier to load, gives you more time between reloading and wastes less line trimmer cable.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

The best no doubt

The best there is ! faultless performance over many years. Used regularly sometimes all day. Very comfortable with a harness. Can’t fault this gem of a brushcutter. Easy starting. Strong motor I can’t recommend this tool highly enough for anyone looking for a serious brushcutter at a reasonable price. Buy one

Date PurchasedMar 2013
The Mugicas

The MugicasNorth Queensland, QLD

More trustworthy than my cattle dog

Big names have turned me off lately but after owning my Stihl FS/85 it has changed my faith. It has never stopped and always ready to go. 2 years ago bought an opponents brand and with in days regretted it and just bought cheap throw away brands but was told to and buy sthil. Faith restored and never let me down. Always ready.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
RJK

RJKMelbourne

Brilliant, tough, reliable and easy to use

Fantastic - use it regularly on our acre block. Easy so start, easy to use and very effective. I also have Stihl branded Blower and Chain saw and find both these items also to be excellent. I see negative reviews and cant understand what the difference can be. My local Stihl dealer is also very knowledgeable and friendly. I highly recommend this product.

Date PurchasedAug 2017
DBB

DBB

Very good

Had for 3 weeks. 7 hrs straight hard work cutting down 6ft tall Johnson grass with 2.7mm Stihl round line. Trimmer is powerful and good compromise between weigh and power. Used on 6 lawns to edge and blend grass with 2.4mm round cord and it loves it. This was an upgrade from my FS45 and am very happy.

I have always mixed fuel oil ratio at 43:1 just to keep cooler than 50:1 and keep her lubed up nicely. Honestly, maybe the people with negative reviews got lemons? Stihl is good stuff in my experience with 2 whipper snippers and 2 chain saws, I’ve had zero problems.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
RenegadeLC

RenegadeLCAU

Great addition to the Arsenal

The power in this machine is undoubtedly more than i had expected. From owning a little bent shaft makita to this thing WOW!! It's halved the time on a couple of jobs iv done i recommend this to anyone in the lawn care biz or anyone with a bit of land and long grass to clear. This will not disapoint

Date PurchasedFeb 2017
Kevin.E

Kevin.EMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Just bought another one!

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Chris

Chrissydney

Great machine.

Just bought an 85R to replace the Victa Tornado that I used three times and returned to Bunnings.
The Stihl is light, powerful, easy to use/start and the auto feed line head is easy to load and economical on line consumption.
A very very impressive unit that makes edging and rough clearing a breeze.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

2 hours of use...clutch and throttle problems 1st day of use

I purchased my Stihl yesterday...after reading the generally positive reviews on this site. I got two hours of use out of it before the throttle stopped working and the engine would stall. Returned the product to dealer...they diagnosed a faulty clutch.

My product had a sticker on the side saying made in Brazil...perhaps the Brazilians should stick to making pina coladas and mojitos.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Jodie from Jindy

Jodie from JindyAU

Love my new FS 85

Great powerful whipper snipper! Lightweight Easy to start and super strong. Cuts through everything on our bush block. I love the bull arms when using for hours! Long shaft is s bit awkward but the harness that came with it makes it easy to use. I'm only 5"7 and I love it! Hope it lasts forever.

Date PurchasedOct 2016
Drew t

Drew tQueensland

Love it

Love this machine very good would recommend this product to any one it gose though the toughest weeds in its path runs good when i got it home i did the whole yard in 1tank of petrol changing the cord is a bit tricky you can put a brush cutting blade on it

Date PurchasedSep 2016
Sad Stihl buyer

Sad Stihl buyerWhitsunday

After only 2 years of light domestic work - the clip broke off the hook on the harness of my Genuine

The Stihl FS85 is no better machine than any of the many other brands that are all less than half the price of stihl and their parts are much less expensive and much more easily available than Stihl are. Many tricks and traps to be careful of when dealing with STIHL. Stihl is not any easier to maintain than any of the other cheaper and often much better value machines. Simple parts are not available for STIHL but they have traps to catch you in like a broken hook & clip - Stihl's answer - pay another $127 for a complete new harness (I can have the clip & hook locally custom made for $22) I would never buy any STIHL product ever again. They got me once - that's once to much.

Date PurchasedJan 2013
Nick

NickVictoria, 3691

Love it!

This thing could cut down a tree! It starts so easily, packs a punch and is worth every cent. It's the most money I have ever spent on something like this but I am so glad I did. I got the optional blade attachment and it's pretty good too. I have a lot of woody weeds and it blasts through them.

Bretto

BrettoSydney

Have been using this for years, it's still running and never had an issue, even me wife can use it no worries. Its never faulted on us and its cutting abilities are schmick! The yard looks a million bucks after I mow and wiper snipper. I did have one instance where it cut out on me and I had to replace a part but for 12 years running I think it's great. It's still going strong! I would recommend to everyone!

15 Years of no problem performance that even my wife enjoys using

One of four Stihl products I own. The others are two handheld leaf blowers and a backpack blower. Never a problem to start. Other than the string head and spark plug, everything is original. Takes great care of our 3 acre parcel with about 100 trees and many rocks. Replaced the head with an aftermarket unit that uses pre-cut lengths of .130 line. I prefer that to the OEM bump head. Also replaced the spark plug with an E-3. Always use Stihl 2-cycle oil. Wish I had purchased a Stihl chain in the 70's instead of a Homelite.

John HB

John HBINMAN

Best Trimmer on the market

Mine is at least twenty years old. While I'm not a commercial landscaper I have a large yard with over an acre that has wooded borders. So I'm weedwacking Poison Ivy, Virginia Creeper etc..., using it as an edger along the driveway and the expansion joints. The only complaint I have is getting line tough enough to support my misuse of the machine. I've replaced the plug every year and cleaned the filter but nothing else. The primer bulb just sprung a leak yesterday so I'll have to replace that now! and best machine I've ever had. The best has been my 034 Stihl Chain Saw that just turned 30 years old!

Hot problem

Incredible, the engine drop down from the tube because of hot of the engine. Was totally insane. Poor quality. Don't buy this one. My Stihl said made in Brazil. Horrible!

Garrys

GarrysGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Great brushcutter

I cant understand these negative reviews - I 've had mine for around 8 years now. I'm not a contractor - just a landowner so it doesn't get a thrashing but it does cut a lot of thick grass for up to a couple of hours at a time. Never had a problem with it - never had it serviced for that matter. She runs perfectly and the line refill is fine - a bit fiddly but nothing much once you get the hang of it.