Honda UMK435

Perfect commercial trimmer

Split shaft 35cc trimmer purchased online what can I say it cuts through the thickest grass and does not slow down even in extreme heat can get heavy but I'm used to it the best trimmer on the market

Purchased in November 2018 at Honda Dealers for $500.00.

Noise Level
Safety
Product is used: Daily
Grass Type Thick, heavy grass or weeds

What a great addition to my yard tools.

I have lived on small acreage for 30 years and have thrown away quite a few 2 stroke brushcutters through hard to start problems and spare parts supply.
My Honda 35cc with bicycle handlebars and body harness a has been fantastic. It's now aprox 5 years old and I always marvel at its first or second pull start ability.
I am cursed with poor soil and rocky ground but the little Honda just cuts a swathe through paspalum and other stubborn clumps.
The line head is easy to load and with all of the rocks it bounces off they give me a couple of years of use.
As usual my Honda dealer has replacements at a reasonable price.
I also have the 25cc break shaft model with a hedge trim attachment as well as a blower head.
With the harness the machine whilst solidly built is comfortable to use but my wife prefers the slightly lighter 25cc.
If you are after a brush cutter to last for years I would recommend a Honda.

Date PurchasedDec 2003

The problem doesn't seem to be vacuum

Mine is 10 years old now. When working it is a great machine, problem is it was always dying under full throttle when hot and then other times it wouldn't run from cold. Last year I had one last go a playing around with carby, pulled it apart and scratched out a bit of gum, didn't replace any diaphragms only main gasket onto cylinder. Replaced ignition coil and spark plug, no difference. Had spark so fuel had to be the issue. Put compressed air back through the pick up filter in the fuel tank. Like a new machine, not sure what was clogging it as it didn't look dirty but can say for certain that was the problem. Annoying as like many I have searched for answers for several years and cursed the pig of a thing for longer than that.

Date PurchasedJun 2007

I have had many brands of trimmers, this one is THE BEST

Bought mine 2nd hand, it had not been serviced for over 6 months and the guy who sold it to me was upgrading to a new Honda, I have only cleaned the filter, replaced the fuel , this Honda starts 2nd pull from cold and 1st pull on hot, runs and cuts like a dream, less vibration then other brands, less engine noise , more power at lower revs, well built, what more can i say, its so good to have a nice piece of quality equipment that is reliable.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

For the money, its fairly average

When you pay $700 for a whipper snipper you think that it will be absolutely bullet proof for many years to come. The bump feed on this whipper snipper has stopped working twice. The first time we took it back to the dealer and they were able to fix it, and now it doesn't work again. So I have to wait until I can make the trip to my honda dealer again to get the issue resolved. It's not a very reliable machine.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

This is a great machine..

I have used it professionally for years.. Cant fault it.. 2 Strokes make no sense for this kind of work , I see my stupid council in Cairns using 2 strokes burning my rates money and laugh/cry. Thanks Honda for showing us how it is done...

Date PurchasedSep 2012

Awsome Bit of Gear

I picked up a 2 yewr old second hand unit from our local Hon. da small engine dealer. I can only say I am impressed, it starts so easily and does not miss a beat. I have used both blade and cord on it in some very heavy going and it handles it with ease. The only downside I can see with this machine is that it is probably a bit too heavy for my wife to use.It would have to rate as a "big tractor" in the world of brush cutters.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Excellent machine

Upgraded to one of these from a Ryobi straight shaft;
The pros for the Honda:
Low noise and vibration. This was the reason I had to leave the 2 stroke Ryobi; after an hour or so on the little Ryobi, my hands were tingling and my ears were ringing. My neighbours were probably sick of it as well.
But I can use the Honda all day without a worry. As it's a 4 stroke there's no need to have it screaming at high revs to get sufficient power for most jobs.
Quality. Honda parts and good service are readily available, in contrast to the Ryobi and Bunnings' disinterested staff, which means that Ryobis etc are really throwaways. A quality unit like a Honda should last many years.

The Cons;
Cost. I can only justify spending $700+ because now I use a brush cutter a lot. If I was just doing my domestic garden the cheap Ryobi was fine. In fact it was pretty good.
Power. This is the biggest Honda, but it doesn't feel THAT much more powerful than a 25cc two-stroke Ryobi- it can still struggle in really heavy going. The big 2 strokes from Stihl etc. probably have more grunt at peak revs, but I reckon the quietness and the lack of vibration of the Honda more than compensate.
Weight. It is a heavier unit, relative to some others, but only a kilo or two difference. With a good quality harness (not the Honda one), weight is barely noticeable, even after several hours.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

excellent, quick start one pull machine

lightweight and easy to carry. no awkward handle parts. Good on petrol it last me my full yard. That's new because I have had to refuel with my old whipper-snipper. Only downside is it was a little bit ore expensive. Guess you get what you pay for though with these machines.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Ripper

whipper snipper is no match for my super sharp sithe :) . In open areas , anyway.
Otherwise this HondaWhipperSniper is a RIPPER ! ! ! !
3 in One: Mower( where I don't want to go with my mower), Best EDGER I can think of, Sweeps all minor growth of paths and bricks and Blows them away, Cuts minor bushes o.k. with provided blade. triples as a weeder. Perfect partner for my Honda Mower ( M19).
I bought it at our local friendly store: Gosford ChainsawsandMowers. Highly recommended. I would ( AND HOPE I WON"T HAVE TO) buy it again

Date PurchasedDec 2016

The Gruntmaster

After 2 years of commercial use 6 days a week I have nothing but praise for this machine.It consistently surprises customers how much work it can do.I call it 'The Gruntmaster'.Its typical Honda,A precision instrument.Awesome machine.I wouldn't consider any other machine when I have to replace it.I've also had very good service from Ashmore Mower Centre.

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Keep losing top bolt/screw

I have owned this machine for about 4 years and find it is an excellent brush cutter around my 2 acre property. It easily manages anything I throw at it. However, I have just lost, for the second time, the top bolt/screw that holds the red plastic top cover in place. This is so very annoying. This screw obviously vibrates loose over time and needs to be constantly tightened. I don't think I should have to check all screws/bolts for tightness prior to every use... should I? Anyway, had to buy one of these screws about 12-18 months ago and now it seems I need to buy another one. I have searched and searched the area I have just cut but to no avail. Does Honda make metal detectors? Very, very annoying. May need to 'loctite' it in place I think!

Date PurchasedMay 2012

This certain brushcutter lets me down.

This is the 3rd time i have purchased one of these has plenty of grunt but every year lets me down the carburetor ceases.
Litterally once a year this happens 3rd machine and sane problem,dealer says doesnt cover warranty at all which is upsetting due to buying these machines thinking they are durable and so on.
I wouldn't purchase one of these machines again.
Honda needs to fix this problem no one helps with these problems.
I love honda but when it comes to this certain machine never again.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Better than a Shindaiwa T270 - Simply Put - Buy One!

Lucky We Mow Located in South Brisbane providing Lawn Mowing Services to Logan Residential Home Owners and Surrounding Suburbs have been using the UMK435U Honda Edger now for two months (beginning 14th-Sep-2016) and we will never look back.

Previously, we used the Shindaiwa T270 Top of the Line Edger.

The UMK435U is so much quieter, does not need oil added to its fuel (Fuel is pricey enough!!) because its a hefty 4Stroke Motor with what we feel has at least 2x the power of the T270. The UMK435U Edger has to be the best on the market. Get yourself one.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

The best whipper snipper by far.

After using a Stihl whipper snipper, this was a dream to use. It weighed less, had more guts and was more reliable. I used one of these for 4 weeks straight, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week clearing around gas infrastructure (and many other times after this) and it never skipped a beat. It chewed through all the woody weeds and other things I could throw at it. Changing the cord was a breeze. Servicing was also super quick and easy. I wouldn't even consider buying anything else after using this.

Date PurchasedMay 2012

Out of date review

The time difference between now and my original review makes my opinion moot.
I was sent a replacement fuel cap so that a vacuum would not be created in the fuel tank during use of the machine.
However, I have not had reason to use the machine in the last few years, neither am I sure I am physically capable of using it any more.
Assuming the fuel cap has solved the choking problem, it is a very useful brush cutter.
My apologies to Honda for taking such a long time to respond.

Date PurchasedSep 2005

great line trimmer replaced my Stihl with this one

I am really happy with is unit I replaced my Stihl FS76 that I bought in 1995 (its still running), with a Honda UMK435L.I have had it now for 6 weeks Its now run in and you can get a really good idea of the power and pedigree of this great machine. It is heavier by 1.2 kg but with a harness on you don't notice the weight difference at all and you will spend much less time trimming simply because this unit has the POWER and its where you really want it in the mid range of the power band of the motor
What you do notice is the power, the quietness, really easy starting and good fuel economy.
I now have tried it in a variety of situations being edging, trimming around the house fence lines etc, long grass dead shrubs At best it only needs half throttle and it destroys whatever you point it at A really easy machine to use and best of all hardly any annoying vibrations
It is well made and solid I also bought the hedge trimmer attachment that fits in place of the trimmer head easy to remove and replace
What a piece of work this is I would hate to be a hedge it just eats up the hedges with ease.

I have been a Sthil and a 2 stroke motor fan on line trimmers for along time and was going to buy another one but I just couldn't do it I really couldn't see the money in the equivalent Stihl or the quality The Honda dealer I went to had both brands and according to him he sells an awful lot more Honda. Price wasn't an issue and the Honda was cheaper.

If you are in the market buy this one its second to none and I haven't seen anything better in the market but I have seen a lot worse for the money

Nice machine

I love the machine. Quiet. Economical. Starts first go. No smoke. Heaps of low down power as you would expect from a four stroke. I have generator with a Honda motor, a zero turn mower with a 20 hp twin fitted and Honda outboard motor. I just love Honda machinery. Being a retired mechanic gives me an appreciation of good engineering. The harness is hard to adjust to a comfortable position though. Lucky I didn't get rid of my husky harness. The harness to shaft ring should be fixed, and not able to swivel around the shaft. I'm always fighting the balance. The diameter of the cutting head seems to be too small and always jambs the cutting cord, so tap and go becomes stop and manually introduce more cord which is very painful on a two hour session. perhaps there is a better cutting head out there somewhere

Hi d w, Thanks for taking the time to provide your review of the UMK435U, it is terrific to hear that you shed is host to a small Honda army! In relation to the cutting head, we suggest that you go back you your dealer and voice your concerns, they may be able to assist you in rectifying the jamming of the line. -Sarah

Excellent except for non-durable parts.

Spool and bottom line housing cover are both non-durable. Expect to spend ~$25 replacing either sporadically, timing depends on a user's technique. Even the professionals need to replace these parts eventually because friction is needed to feed the line and friction is what erodes the plastic and metal. Based on price the use of non-genuine parts is suggested but they also have their own pros and cons. If you do change of to non-genuine never thrown out the genuine product - those 2 small metal parts that guide the trimmer line out of the bottom line housing cover cost about ~$25!

The combination of a loop handle, no harness and two strong arms allows the professional to quickly adjust their position when trimming residential lawn edges.

Hi Patty, Thanks for your review of the UMK435U. The bottom line housing is designed to be 'taped' on lawn surfaces to extend the line, not concrete or other harsh unforgiving surfaces. Usage on the aforementioned surfaces will shorten the life span of the housing, and cause pre-mature wear. We suggest that if you are having difficulties with the housing due to operation in harsher environments that you contact your local dealer to upgrade your line housing cover to a commercial metal bump head. If you have any further questions or queries please contact your local dealer. Many thanks, SarahSarah (Honda Official), You mentioned that the bottom line housing is not designed to be taped on "concrete or other harsh unforgiving surfaces". I only mentioned friction, which can involve grass. As I rarely go to my local Honda dealer can provide the part identification number for the the "commercial metal bump head" so I can look it up online?

Awesome machine. Very happy

I got tired of my stihl 2 stroke's constant issues and looked at buying a new one until I saw their prices. The Honda is cheaper and after my first day's use I would say far superior. Effortless power. Super quiet operation. Starts first time every time. Awesome machine very happy

Thank you for taking the time to review the UMK435L 1.6180339, it is great to hear your product comparison. Enjoy! - Sarah