G4X, G5X

• Boot Size
  • Comfort
  • Features

Perfect for us !

Purchased in February 2021.

Sharon
SharonGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

The problem fixed with satisfaction.

Subaru Xv 2016 which Starlink touch screen suddenly frozen, the car has no bluetooth, no GPS, no reverse camera, nothing now. rang Subaru Dealer and was told no service available.

The Subaru dealer replaced the the whole radio set Free of charge after 1 month. All good now.

Purchased in March 2017 for $31,000.00.

Jim
JimNew South Wales

Comfortable and great off road , performance not that bad at all.

No problem with our 2015 or our new xv. Very good handling , fun to drive off road and as a general commuter, Servicing a little more than 2wd cars but not that bad. Its not a fast car off the mark but considering the average speed limits and everyone saying slow down on the roads i do not see a problem with the power it has, its really ok with us.

Purchased in January 2021.

Damien
DamienSydney, NSW

Oil issues

Nice looking car but don't bother buying it. The XV will chew through oil as it gets older, and their service centre support is terrible (looking at you Subaru Parramatta).

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Damien, We're sorry to hear of your experience. You're welcome to contact our Customer Relations Team on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. The Subaru Team.

George O.Illawarra, NSW

Rust after only 7 years

Purchased in March 2013.

George O.

I have already contacted your customer relations team as mentioned in my post, twice actually.

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
Carolyn B.
Carolyn B.Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Five year use by

Great car until 5 years are up. Bought new, fully serviced at Subaru. Took it in for a service, quoted $626 received a call to tell me there were issues. New service bill...$7000!!!!!
The car has about 100 000km on it and usually only one driver. Rang customer service and they are looking in to it. The service centre offered me $6000 to buy my car from me. Less than the cost of the service. First and last Subaru I'll ever buy.

Purchased in March 2014 at Subaru Dealers for $33,000.00.

DannyK
DannyKHunter Region, NSW

Great Car For The Money

Purchased in September 2019.

DaisySouth East Queensland, QLD

Subaru XV valve body failure

June 2018 - needed to replace the value body ($2500 for the genuine part) - transmission lights on including failure of cruise control etc. October 2020 - the same problem has represented. Around 30,000K since June 2018. In 2018 - Subaru not interested in the problem. Here we go again!

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)
MonGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Don’t bother unless you want a lemon

RPDAdelaide

Very disappointed

Never again will I buy a Subaru. Two years old and undriveable.
Subaru Australia are telling me it’s not a manufacturer fault so not covered under the 5 year warranty.
Those warranties are advertising to get people to buy the cars.

Purchased in June 2018 at Jarvis Cars.

TransmissionAutomatic
RPD

Have already received your response and verdict - in your opinion it is my problem and the fault of my mechanic despite evidence to the contrary.

Amanda
AmandaHunter Region, NSW

after my long history with Subaru it's now OVER.

I have always owned Subarus from early eighties and all log book serviced. My current XV (Mizuno edition) is my seventh Subaru. I converted my dad from Holden, my ex from Mazda, my sister from Toyota and my partner from Ford. I should have been on commission! Have been enquiring about purchasing 2020 XV. My car developed a strange whirring noise a few weeks ago, was told bearing in the clutch. Today at 119,000kms it all turned very ugly indeed. Not even game to drive my car to the dealership - loud screeching and clunking and almost non existant clutch. after reading some reviews here it would appear this is the new normal for Subaru. disgraceful - NEVER AGAIN.

Purchased in March 2011.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Amanda, We're sorry to hear of your experience with your Subaru. If you would like to discuss this further, our Customer Relations Team is available on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. The Subaru Team.

CVT Transmission Solenoid

I’ve owned the vehicle since new (2015) and use it to commute to work. This is my third Subaru and they’ve never let me down. The AT temp light came on (along with all the other warning lights) at 115,000k. The local Subaru dealer informed me the transmission solenoid had failed and will cost $3400 for the part only (possibly a $4.5K to $5K job). They also stated ‘we’ve been getting a few of these lately’. I’ve been told this is an emerging problem but no extended warranty or good will? The vehicle will be payed off in October, I was planning to purchase another.....

Purchased in October 2015.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)
Year2015
SubaruSubaru Australia

CVT Transmission issue and many more issue

Purchased in June 2012 for $39,000.00.

Melanie
MelanieMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Sub standard motors

Purchased in August 2017 for $22,000.00.

Imprezive!
Imprezive!Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Is it really worth that extra $$$?

Shirley Rasked
XV G4X (2015-2017)

I bought a 2017 SubaruXV Hatch 2.0i-S new. It has done just over 60,000km, and has been garaged (lock up) and serviced for its entire life. The chrome front door handles are peeling. Subaru have agreed to replace at no cost but I have been assured that they are “doing me a favour”. I rarely have a passenger on board and the passenger side is peeling at the same rate as the drivers side. Surely chrome should not peel like this??

Hi Shirley,
The issue is a manufacturing defect by the supplier of the handles and yes it should not happen. The XV is a great vehicle don’t let this detract from your ownership experience.
Even though your vehicle is out of warranty Subaru are going to replace the faulty handles.
Happy motoring
Regards,

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi Shirley, We are sorry to hear that your passenger door handle is peeling; however we are thrilled to learn that your local Dealership will be replacing at no cost. If there is anything that you would like to discuss further, please contact our Customer Relations Team on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. Or you can send us a private message to our Facebook page and we'll be in touch. The Subaru Team.

Shirley R

Yes, I am very pleased that Subaru will replace both front door handles at no cost - thank you, Subaru.

My only confusion is the matter of warranty. When I purchased the car in 2017 I was given a "5 year factory warranty launch promo". I have been unable to find what a "5 year factory warranty" covers. As I have been told twice that the vehicle is out of warranty, I can only assume that such a warranty only covers certain items. Obviously my knowledge of vehicle warranties needs updating.

goluke171
goluke171asked
XV G5X 2.0i-L AWD (2017-2021)

What is the difference between g4x and g5x?
Is the boot design differently? I have someone giving me a cargo boot mat which fit the g4x model. Can it be used in my xv 2020?

KJMasked
XV

I have a 2013 XV with CVT, 120 KMs, always serviced, with a mix of city and highway driving and some probs occured and i am told needs a new valve body based on codes. Price indicated is $5K plus. Been a long time subaru owner, this seems so out of expectations for this brand to have such a major failure at relatively low Kms. Not sure of other's history with this issue but puts a major cloud over longevity of CVTs, and this will stop me from any future subaru purchases. Appreciate any others experiences with this issue, thanks, Kevin

Daisy

Hi Kevin, I had this issue with my 2012-13 XV with similar km (119,174kms) - June 2018. I found on the website that this was a recall issue in the US but not in Australia. I had the value body TR580 replaced ($3500 all up including labour). And now at just over 150,000Kms - it was gone again. Same issue, same warning lights. Subaru dealerships very unhelpful with the issue and I would not buy another Subaru.

KJM

Thank you Daisy and yes this is very concerning with this CVT issue and i had thought Subaru had some extended warranty on the CVT early days to ensure buyers were not concerned by it, but i cant verify that. This is my 4th Subaru and have recommended in the family another 4 cars, so this has certainly put a major cloud over the reliability of the CVT from Subaru, as my previous models were old style geared autos. Looks like will be forced to fix, then will move it on and seek out another brand, as this is just too costly to risk. Thanks for sharing your experience.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ KJM, We're sorry to hear of your experience. Please feel free to contact us either through our Customer Relations Team on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au. Alternatively, you're welcome to send us a message through our Facebook page with your vehicle details and we'll be in touch. The Subaru Team.

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives

Compare all 7 Subaru XV
CategorySmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVs
Starting Price $32,850$35,292$40,359$37,156
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Max Torque196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm196Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapan
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,400 kg1,400 kg1,400 kg1,400 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)650 kg650 kg650 kg650 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Dimensions