Subaru XV

See the Best Small / Compact SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Extremely Impressed!

I had never owned a Subaru before and cannot be happier with my purchase, I'm so impressed! The price point is amazing for all the features. We test drove other makes and models with the same features we were looking for but they couldn't beat or even come close to the price of the XV. Love Love Love my Subaru!!

Purchased in May 2018 at Innes Motors for $41,000.00.

Love this car

After driving so many SUV vehicles and weighing up vehicle features, cost and best value for money the XV wins hands down. We purchased the top of the range for under $40,000 fitted with tow bar, roof racks, floor mats, alloy pedals and a few other accessories. It’s fitted with all the tech you’d find on vehicles worth $60,000. Do yourself a favour, take it for a drive and you leave the dealership with a contract signed for purchase. I am a Subaru convert and it will be hard to get me away from being a brand loyalist

Purchased in July 2018 at Key star Subaru Rothwell for $37,500.00.

Comfort

Please think carefully before buying this car!

Huge disappointment about the quality of car including Subaru service! This is my second buying of this Subaru XV 2018, top of the range. On the first day of collection of car, it was found that there was a malfunction on touch screen on a entertainment unit and another major issue on air inlet vents. More precisely, when I closed the vents to prevent outside of air from coming into the cabin, but the air kept coming in and it was very unpleasant and all unwanted outside air was directly flowing into the car cabin.
Then, I raised the issue through Subaru service and was told to bring the car in the service, then the mechanic went through the inspection and he said it was nothing to worry and was normal which made us very surprised with their reaction. Cut the long story to short, after tedious email conversations with Subaru service, the car was accepted and turned out to be fault and the they said the actuating motor must be replaced. And I had to wait for more than 3 weeks for the part to arrive in Australia from Japan. Besides of that, the unpleasant engine roaring noise was very severe and bothered us while driving. And noticeable outside of air comes in through the door handle which was really ridiculous. In winter, while driving, I had to gently blow my right hand to keep it warm as my hand gets cold. Not only that, when it comes to Apple Car Play.... please don't believe what Subaru advertise about it, it simply doesn't work. It keeps being off a few minutes right after being turned on. I had to bring my car to the service again about Apple Car Play and the service had updated latest software a few times, but it doesn't work even right this minute. The service advised me I should use all Apple genuine USB cable and keep my phone with latest software which all these were already updated and genuine cables. It is not about genuine cables or latest iOS, it is definitely all about Subaru software's instability. I now just gave it up and don't expect anything from Subaru as I have really had it enough. Pleasant driving as they say? The car was so wobbling in driving and when you turn on defrost switch, the reinforced air directly hits your face and hair then it turns back to the inside of the front window. It is really annoying! My previous car was the same 2015 XV top of the range and it was really nice and had never had any issue and the capped service price was very reasonable as they promised.
Simply, I highly NOT, NOT, NOT recommend this car. This gives you a lot of hassle and headaches. I am now so regretting that I should have not bought this car. This is my genuine experience with this car for more than 12 months. If you really want to buy Subaru, please go with other model, not XV. But not a great choice for Subaru, please just buy other car makers.

Purchased in March 2018.

Excellent response CTV failure on XV Subaru from Subaru

Recently wrote about failure on the CTV on my XV Subaru with 135000 kms on the clock. Apparently this is not unusual after further investigation on my part. However Subaru have agreed to replace the failed part at their cost. Certainly worth asking the question.

Purchased in December 2014.

2018 XV disappearing phone favourites- now fixed

I wrote about this previously some time last year on my 2018 XV
Whenever I saved phone favourites on the head unit they would disappear the next day!
I have just downloaded and self installed the latest 2019 software and navigation update which was released 17 June 2019
The first test to see if Subaru have fixed this issue.Happy to advise that it now works perfectly and the phone favourites stay in the head unit contacts.
Much easier ,and safer now to make a call touching favourites instead of scrolling through the contact list while trying to keep your eyes on road!

Purchased in August 2018.

CTV Transmission failure - again

Bought a brand new Subaru XV in 2014, have it serviced regularly and female driver. Suddenly after 135,000kms the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree. After taking it to the local Subaru dealer was told CTV (Continuous Transmission Variable) would need to be replaced as a cost of $5000 , however they are seeking some relief from Subaru Japan. In the meantime turned on social media to find that it is an ongoing problem with the transmission and Subaru are very familiar with the issues surrounding the technology. Have refused to do a recall and leave their brand in tatters and the owners looking elsewhere for a different car. Be very wary when SUV shopping - stay away from Subaru

Purchased in December 2014 at Tynan Motors.

Year2014
Since posting my review, Subaru have agreed to replace the Transmission at their cost and the job has been completed successfully.

Great for small family or single people

I use this car for daily transport to locations and road trips but not off roads too much. The car is very comfortable, the seat are well put together so sitting for long period of times does not impact your body as much as other cars. It is also very fuel efficient if you drive long distance and smooth, you don't feel the car switching gears or hear any sounds as it is quiet.

Only down side to this is boot space, it doesn't have enough space to fit more than 2-3 peoples worth of luggage depending on how much you bring as it got compensated for bigger room space for the people in the back seat

Purchased in January 2015 at Subaru Dealers for $31,000.00.

Year2014

Great little car

I needed a high wheel base vehicle. I bought a demo model that had all the safety tech. It is a smooth ride, my dad loves it, even my Euro car fan beloved loves it. I would like a little better fuel efficiency and the Carplay only works intermittently but otherwise I really like this car. Never had anything so new and hi tech!

Purchased in October 2018 for $34,800.00.

BoughtUsed

Great driving

New to Subaru, great driving so far, however, very new so no apparent issues currently. Would like to see automatic lock feature, always appreciated that in my previous car. Only local driving to date, used for business, planning a small road trip to test more features.

Purchased in April 2019 at Von Bibra.

Great buy

I commute to work and drive close to 100kms a day. Smooth drive and love its intelligent cruise control. Not a great fan of the lane assist due to the fact that it only detects solid lines on the road. Very very fuel efficient.

Purchased in January 2019 for $33,000.00.

Comfort

Thought Subaru was a good car

We purchased ourXV brand new in 2013 and has been a good car till the oil burning issue became aware to us when the oil light came on 2000k before the service ! Then came the left CV failing at 120k now for the big one the CTV has failed at 180k
This car has always had log book service
Used everyday commuting to work by my Wife
I had a 2001 Subaru Outback before it did over 300k and only thing that I replaced was the front CV’s at 280k
I would not recommend a new generation Subaru

Purchased in November 2013.

Year2013
Comfort

Jerking transmission. Be Warned!

Bought Subaru XV 2013 brand new. The first issue I want to address is the jerking of the transmission at low speed as many XV owners have experienced, I informed Subaru within the warranty period and was told it's the car's characteristic. I just can believe 5 years later Subaru still have not sorted it out.

Other issues include noisy engine, very high rev when engine is cool/cold, aircon kicks in and out even when the outside temperature is 2 degree. I reported the issues with Subaru Dockland and was told they are characteristics of the car

I just hate driving this car, I would not recommend anyone to buy this car.

Purchased in February 2013 at Subaru Dockland for $31,000.00.

Year2013
Comfort

Great car, bit small for a family

Great car, moves well. Nice to drive unless hill assist is on then very sluggish. Pity it doesn't come in turbo diesel. Auto cruise control is great. Crash assist sometimes pulls the car up unessecary which can be frustrating

Purchased in January 2018.

Multiple Paint Chips totally spoil an otherwise great little car

Within 6 months of purchase our new XV, I noticed a number of chips to the paint on the bonnet. I notified the dealer who referred it to The Technical Department of Subaru Australia. Without undertaking any testing (I specifically asked if any tests were done and was told in an email "no"), Subaru determined that the chips were caused by "outside influences" (as if that wasn't bleedin' obvious) and that there is no problem with the quality of the paint. This is despite many references on the internet to similar problems with the specific colour of Sunshine Orange. Check them out for yourself.
Since then the number of chips have steadily increased (now 15) and spread to other areas of the car. Our car has never been driven on anything other than suburban roads and highways. Clearly we could now never risk taking it off road. It appears that the paint can't even handle normal suburban driving. Subaru appear untroubled by that. Hardly a vehicle of the "rugged character" were lead to believe it was when we bought it.
Anyone else having similar problems?

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedDec 2017

Annoyed with Subaru service dept answers to my questions

Use the car every day, school run and to work etc. Serviced when due, fixed any small problems as they have occurred. Now have issue with key staying in lock and have to turn on and off until it releases. Subaru do not want to know about the complaint. I wanted pricing to repair but he just kept going on about no good will as I had not had all the servicing done at a Subaru dealership - I get the services done at a reputable workshop near where I am working. Could not have been more disinterested!

Badge35000
Date PurchasedJun 2012

I Love my XV!

Ok, I’ve only had it a month but I love my new XV-S.

I bought it because it was the best value SUV in the my budget range ... the other contender was the Mazda CX3 which I thought was pretty unexceptional.

It is so smooth, no engine vibrations and drives nice and tightly on the road. It took a while to trust the Stop/start at traffic lights etc and to get used to the adaptive cruise control and some of the other features like the lane keep assist which are all quite new for me but it’s been easy to learn and integrate all the safety features into my driving. The interior is well appointed and comfortable and plenty of room in the back although the cargo area is not big.

My only negative is that the radio cannot seem to pick up and tune in the radio stations accurately ... especially since my Mazda 2 had no problems and could pick them up loud and clear. I don’t listen to the radio very often but I’ve downloaded a radio tuning app to my phone and can very clearly get the radio stations now through Apple Carplay better and clearer than going through the Subaru radio.

Purchased in October 2018.

Comfort
6 months down the track and I still love it. I can fit my golf clubs and buggy in the boot and I guess thats pretty good! Radio still drifts in and out whereas it doesn't in the other car. It's my daily drive so already over 6K Kms. :-)

CVT not good

This car is great except for one MAJOR glaring fault. It has a CVT transmission which shudders and jerks in bumper to bumper situations (Sydney traffic) at low speeds, when the revs are between 1000 and 18000 rpm.
Not a comfortable driving situation. Seems like it is on the verge of stalling. If it wasn't for that extremely annoying trait this would be an excellent car. The problem is so bad I am going to sell it and NEVER buy another CVT transmission. Also - I have researched this issue and it is obvious it is not just my car but a design fault. American owners are requesting a recall or a lawsuit.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Great car - no regrets buying it

Okay I am not a car buff so I just wanted a comfy car that is safe and useful.
This is our main car - but I have kept my old Jazz as second car. (The Jazz has a bigger boot though)
Love the car very much and the eyesight safety is brilliant. So safe and this made it very cheap it insure - less than $500 comprehensive.
Love all the features, but wish the boot was as big as the Jazz.
Cost wise it was amazing value really. So pleased we bought it.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

So happy with XV!! Excellent AWD

Decided to upgrade our car from sedan to small SUV. Did all our works to find right car.
Young family with two kids who love camping, so our priority is good safety rating, good leg room @ back seat, fuel efficiency and good luggage space.

Our finalists are Subaru XV and Mazda CX3. When we went to showroom to test drive we decided to go with XV. So happy with our choice.

Not much luggage space is our only negative, but purchased roof pod and during camping time just fix the pod and issue solved.

Badge2.0i-L
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedJul 2016

2018 XV L great car so far

My wife changed over from a 2010 Forestor, and is very happy with the XV experience. Took a little while to get used to the new generation controls and work out what features she wanted to use.

Recently completed a Melb > Sydney return trip in it. Very comfortable over long distances with very good fuel economy.

Found the start stop feature annoying at first when we go to the city, but found it was easily controlled by easing off brake pressure when stopped, the the motor keeps running. Or just switch it off on the dash. Most of our driving is regional.

CVT seems to loom large in peoples mind, and i was interested to see what it is like. We really dont notice it in normal operation.

Seems a very competent car and build quality is way better than competitors.

Badge2.0i-L
Date PurchasedJun 2018

What does G5 mean and what is the boot space in all your XV models

I have 2018 xv and have trouble with the radio, static when I pass under power lines , sometimes for no reason. Also occasionally the sound surges, it’s driving me crazy. Subaru tell me it’s because the AM signal is weaker but I have never had trouble with other cars. Anyone have this problem?
Hi, I drive XV 2018 as well. I personally have not had this type of issue however I think it is another fault or issue on overall entertainment unit. Because I always have a problem with Apple Car Play and every time i bring my car in the service Subaru says they don’t know and couldn’t do anything about that which is really frustrating. Unless they see very obvious mechanical problem this is what they try to avoid their responsibility, I guess. As they said to you “AM signal weaker”... I don’t believe that. It was just a lame excuse. That is why i am not going to recommend Subaru and not going to buy it when I buy my next car down the track. Wish the problem will be resolved soon.Thanks for your feedback, it’s all very frustrating. I have booked my car in to have the radio checked on Monday but they have told me if they don’t deem there is a problem, I will have to pay an hours wages which is $165! I’m obviously in the wrong business!If you research there have been issues with these head units, talk to your dealer after you do some research, our unit has frozen twice and they offered to replace it if it does it again. Also we have issues sometimes with connecting to apple play with my wife’s 10, It maybe a software issue with the phone however as my 7 has no issues at all. Subaru know there’s an issue with the head units and often a software update fixes the glitches so try that at your next service, if you still have issues requests they replace the head unit under warranty. Under consumer law Subaru has an obligation to replace the head unit if faulty, don’t fall for the mechanical issue crap! Sorry it really frustrates me when dealers try and stoop customers. You have to remember dealers are just representing the Subaru brand, go to Subaru direct if you need to. Also research the lemon laws and consumer laws in relation to vehicles and know your rights. Need any further help just message me.

I had my valve springs replaced as per recall, since having it done my car labours a lot more than it did before this was done & really lacks power, it is a 2013 model manual with 83,000ks, I have taken it back twice now & they can't find anything wrong with it, they say it's just the way Subaru XV's are.....not happy with it & will never buy another Subaru again....this is it's 3rd recall...I had a Rav4 with 376,000 k's on it & would eat this XV...

Subaru XV G5X 2.0i AWD (2017-2019)Subaru XV G5X 2.0i-L AWD (2017-2019)Subaru XV G5X 2.0i-S AWD (2017-2019)Subaru XV G5X 2.0i Premium AWD (2017-2019)Subaru XV G4X 2.0i (2015-2017)Subaru XV G4X 2.0i-L (2015-2017)Subaru XV G4X 2.0i-S (2015-2017)
CategorySmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVsSmall / Compact SUVs
Starting Price $32,850$35,292$40,359$37,156
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
  • Sunroof
Ground Clearance220 mm220 mm220 mm220 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,400 kg1,400 kg1,400 kg1,400 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)650 kg650 kg650 kg650 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJun 2017Jun 2017Jun 2017Jun 2017Jan 2015Jan 2015Jan 2015