Subaru XV

Great little car

I needed a high wheel base vehicle. I bought a demo model that had all the safety tech. It is a smooth ride, my dad loves it, even my Euro car fan beloved loves it. I would like a little better fuel efficiency and the Carplay only works intermittently but otherwise I really like this car. Never had anything so new and hi tech!

Purchased in October 2018 for $34,800.00.

BoughtUsed

Great driving

New to Subaru, great driving so far, however, very new so no apparent issues currently. Would like to see automatic lock feature, always appreciated that in my previous car. Only local driving to date, used for business, planning a small road trip to test more features.

Purchased in April 2019 at Von Bibra.

Great buy

I commute to work and drive close to 100kms a day. Smooth drive and love its intelligent cruise control. Not a great fan of the lane assist due to the fact that it only detects solid lines on the road. Very very fuel efficient.

Purchased in January 2019 for $33,000.00.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)
Comfort

Thought Subaru was a good car

We purchased ourXV brand new in 2013 and has been a good car till the oil burning issue became aware to us when the oil light came on 2000k before the service ! Then came the left CV failing at 120k now for the big one the CTV has failed at 180k
This car has always had log book service
Used everyday commuting to work by my Wife
I had a 2001 Subaru Outback before it did over 300k and only thing that I replaced was the front CV’s at 280k
I would not recommend a new generation Subaru

Purchased in November 2013.

Comfort

Jerking transmission. Be Warned!

Bought Subaru XV 2013 brand new. The first issue I want to address is the jerking of the transmission at low speed as many XV owners have experienced, I informed Subaru within the warranty period and was told it's the car's characteristic. I just can believe 5 years later Subaru still have not sorted it out.

Other issues include noisy engine, very high rev when engine is cool/cold, aircon kicks in and out even when the outside temperature is 2 degree. I reported the issues with Subaru Dockland and was told they are characteristics of the car

I just hate driving this car, I would not recommend anyone to buy this car.

Purchased in February 2013 at Subaru Dockland for $31,000.00.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)
Comfort

Great car, bit small for a family

Great car, moves well. Nice to drive unless hill assist is on then very sluggish. Pity it doesn't come in turbo diesel. Auto cruise control is great. Crash assist sometimes pulls the car up unessecary which can be frustrating

Purchased in January 2018.

Multiple Paint Chips totally spoil an otherwise great little car

Within 6 months of purchase our new XV, I noticed a number of chips to the paint on the bonnet. I notified the dealer who referred it to The Technical Department of Subaru Australia. Without undertaking any testing (I specifically asked if any tests were done and was told in an email "no"), Subaru determined that the chips were caused by "outside influences" (as if that wasn't bleedin' obvious) and that there is no problem with the quality of the paint. This is despite many references on the internet to similar problems with the specific colour of Sunshine Orange. Check them out for yourself.
Since then the number of chips have steadily increased (now 15) and spread to other areas of the car. Our car has never been driven on anything other than suburban roads and highways. Clearly we could now never risk taking it off road. It appears that the paint can't even handle normal suburban driving. Subaru appear untroubled by that. Hardly a vehicle of the "rugged character" were lead to believe it was when we bought it.
Anyone else having similar problems?

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Annoyed with Subaru service dept answers to my questions

Use the car every day, school run and to work etc. Serviced when due, fixed any small problems as they have occurred. Now have issue with key staying in lock and have to turn on and off until it releases. Subaru do not want to know about the complaint. I wanted pricing to repair but he just kept going on about no good will as I had not had all the servicing done at a Subaru dealership - I get the services done at a reputable workshop near where I am working. Could not have been more disinterested!

Badge35000
Date PurchasedJun 2012

I Love my XV!

Ok, I’ve only had it a month but I love my new XV-S.

I bought it because it was the best value SUV in the my budget range ... the other contender was the Mazda CX3 which I thought was pretty unexceptional.

It is so smooth, no engine vibrations and drives nice and tightly on the road. It took a while to trust the Stop/start at traffic lights etc and to get used to the adaptive cruise control and some of the other features like the lane keep assist which are all quite new for me but it’s been easy to learn and integrate all the safety features into my driving. The interior is well appointed and comfortable and plenty of room in the back although the cargo area is not big.

My only negative is that the radio cannot seem to pick up and tune in the radio stations accurately ... especially since my Mazda 2 had no problems and could pick them up loud and clear. I don’t listen to the radio very often but I’ve downloaded a radio tuning app to my phone and can very clearly get the radio stations now through Apple Carplay better and clearer than going through the Subaru radio.

Purchased in October 2018.

Comfort
6 months down the track and I still love it. I can fit my golf clubs and buggy in the boot and I guess thats pretty good! Radio still drifts in and out whereas it doesn't in the other car. It's my daily drive so already over 6K Kms. :-)

CVT not good

This car is great except for one MAJOR glaring fault. It has a CVT transmission which shudders and jerks in bumper to bumper situations (Sydney traffic) at low speeds, when the revs are between 1000 and 18000 rpm.
Not a comfortable driving situation. Seems like it is on the verge of stalling. If it wasn't for that extremely annoying trait this would be an excellent car. The problem is so bad I am going to sell it and NEVER buy another CVT transmission. Also - I have researched this issue and it is obvious it is not just my car but a design fault. American owners are requesting a recall or a lawsuit.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Great car - no regrets buying it

Okay I am not a car buff so I just wanted a comfy car that is safe and useful.
This is our main car - but I have kept my old Jazz as second car. (The Jazz has a bigger boot though)
Love the car very much and the eyesight safety is brilliant. So safe and this made it very cheap it insure - less than $500 comprehensive.
Love all the features, but wish the boot was as big as the Jazz.
Cost wise it was amazing value really. So pleased we bought it.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

So happy with XV!! Excellent AWD

Decided to upgrade our car from sedan to small SUV. Did all our works to find right car.
Young family with two kids who love camping, so our priority is good safety rating, good leg room @ back seat, fuel efficiency and good luggage space.

Our finalists are Subaru XV and Mazda CX3. When we went to showroom to test drive we decided to go with XV. So happy with our choice.

Not much luggage space is our only negative, but purchased roof pod and during camping time just fix the pod and issue solved.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

2018 XV L great car so far

My wife changed over from a 2010 Forestor, and is very happy with the XV experience. Took a little while to get used to the new generation controls and work out what features she wanted to use.

Recently completed a Melb > Sydney return trip in it. Very comfortable over long distances with very good fuel economy.

Found the start stop feature annoying at first when we go to the city, but found it was easily controlled by easing off brake pressure when stopped, the the motor keeps running. Or just switch it off on the dash. Most of our driving is regional.

CVT seems to loom large in peoples mind, and i was interested to see what it is like. We really dont notice it in normal operation.

Seems a very competent car and build quality is way better than competitors.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Practical, Safe rugged car

I am now on my sixth Subaru. From the Sportswagon, two Foresters, and Impreza, and Outback and now a 2018 XV. I've had nothing but reliability. No Subaru has ever let me down or cost me a fortune. The XV is the best car ever. The Safety tech ad creature features are just amazing.
I have only ever got these cars serviced once a year, on their birthday, by the dealer. I do about 10Km per year. 80% in town, the rest off-road. I don't do mods to them, just add some amateur radios and antennae. Go Subaru!

Date PurchasedAug 2017

About the best in our application - all considered.

We are a family of 2 adults and 3 teenagers. We live in a rural area, and our big focus is practicality. We detest glitz … preferring to leave such frivolity to city folks. So when it came time to replace our stalwart X Trail the list looked a bit tedious. The brief we needed filled was - it had to have 4WD capacity; had to be basic .... carpet and leather is for loungerooms ... not cars; It needed good clearance, and it had to have space for our monstrous boy's legs in the back. That was it!!

Tried a Hyundai Kona … but with our knees brushing against the dash, and even less room in the back …. it seemed more of a joke than anything else!! The fact that I couldn't fit under it even to visualise the engine oil drain plug didn't help its cause!

Reference to the "Australia's Best Cars 2018" website revealed a heady performance by the XV … taking out second place from all comers in its class …. and there were a stack of them. So off we went to have our first serious look at a Subaru … ever. And we walked out an hour later having signed up on the spot!! There was no need to look anywhere else!

Ooodles of leg room front and back - belying it's "small" look. Ground clearance was unbelievable …. we have yet to find anything on the market that compares in the class. Even more than the X Trail it's replacing. The vehicle is only available with an automatic transmission … and a CV one at that. We have slashed a star off the score just for this. We are staunch manual transmission people, and cannot fathom why many manufacturers are dropping this option from their lineups. Having said that though, it's not hard to learn to live with the CVT with its unusual (to us) joltiness … and the steering mounted paddles easily allow manual up and down changes.

The engine oil filter is mounted right at the upper front of the engine. If this is any indication, this car will be an absolute cinch to maintain …. we do all our own.

At first we didn't like the "engine cut out while idling at traffic lights" thing … but again we have adapted to "get" this. It will probably result in a more expensive battery, with more frequent replacement … but this remains to be seen, and living out of town, this feature doesn't come into play all that often for us. The feature can be de-activated, but it has to be done every time you start the car if you don't want it.

The daytime running lights for this model are the front fog lights … and it doesn't seem to be able to be deactivated. This leads to an interesting conversation - in QLD it is illegal to drive in daylight with fog lights if it isn't foggy or raining. This car has passed Aust design standards… so we should be OK …. maybe!!

We love the fabric seats with their loud orange highlight stitching …. but some may not. Seats are comfy. No seat warmers at this spec level … we couldn't care less!! Rear centre seat has an odd seatbelt arrangement. The belt originates from an outlet in the rear back cargo area. When needed it has to be physically grabbed and fed through a permanently placed guide arrangement mounted above the centre seat back. It looks and sounds a bit odd …. but is simple and intuitive in use. Doesn't worry us at all … but may others.

Many have accused this model as being "gutless". Wonder why they bought an SUV?! We are more than happy with the engine. It revs along sweetly, and without fuss. We are obliged to ascend and descend the Toowoomba Range at least twice daily each weekday, and are happy with the car's performance … even fully laden. The fuel usage has varied from between 7.4L to 8.0L/100KM (measured) averaged. This is well above the usage of the X Trail … and is a bit of a shame considering the XV has a 300Kg weight advantage, and 9 years worth of evolution over the X Trail. Added to this is the fact that the onboard computer is over generous by around 0.9L/100KM with its usage calcs. The worst by far of the three computer equipped cars we own. We have no clue why it's so difficult for manufacturers to get this right!!

I have an awful suspicion that this model comes with a space saver spare …. but at least it's a spare!!

We found out after delivery that there are NO air outlets in the back. Yep, you heard right - climate controlled A/C, but no rear outlets!! Rear windows open all the way down. We can't stand those awful articles that only go half way down.

The car has a bit of a sassy look about it. It's primary driver will be the mother of the family … and she absolutely loves it. It has a lot more tech in it than we were expecting at the price point, and it's on dash info display centre has several intuitive screens available showing very useful information. The Android system is intuitive to use, the synthesised voice is very clear to understand, and is accurate in its interpretation of our own voices.

Make no mistake about it - the cargo area is SMALL … but we bought the car having taken that into account. It's fine for us. Towing capacity is light on … but again is OK for us.

Overall we're very pleased with this car's simplicity, and just what we got for the money. It's a faithful little mate that has found its niche very easily, and … it has 4WD. If only it came in a manual!!

Badge2.0i

Best in class

The new generation XV is as good as it gets for its class, even though it lacks sprinting engine grunt at 115KW it performs well on and off road and is more than adequate power for normal driving. It is the only real all wheel drive and its sure footed handling quickly shows on unpaved or rough roads. In handling it grips the road and takes even sharp corners and pot holes in stride and the steering wheel has a very responsive feel. The road noise is minimal even at highway speeds and the eyesight assist system works well. Only gripe is with the rough stop-start mechanism in traffic when the engine comes back to life with a jolt. The premium model is the best value for money. Fuel economy is quite good and averages about 8 liters for 100 kms in combined city/highway traffic. The icing on the cake is that in the days of gouging fuel prices, the XV runs perfectly well on regular unleaded 91 RON. The fit and finish is above average and no interior or exterior rattles or noises detected so far. From a previous Lexus owner, with an eye for quality and reliability, Subaru has met the challenge. However, Subaru needs to match the 5 year or 7 year warranty of its competitors as only 3 years coverage makes it sound like Subaru is not sure about the quality and reliability of its cars. All cars sold after 2016 should be covered under a retrospective 5 year warranty.

BadgePremium

Great capable car

I guess you would call me a "car person", fussier than average, read the manual cover to cover, pedantic about servicing and have been over and under every part of the car. After a 1 years ownership of the New Global Platform Subaru XV I am more than happy. The crash avoidance system (Eyesight) alone is a good reason to buy this car, it could save your own or someone else's life. Mine reacted so quickly to a runner coming out between two cars and braked before I saw the person, excellent! Great auto cruise and even works well around town in bumper to bumper traffic. Stop start can be disabled by putting a dummy trailer light connector in the lighting socket if you have a towbar fitted. I have towed a camper trailer for 400kms up hill and down with no power issues. I have back problems but the seats are comfortable on long trips and mine are the basic fabric ones.
I have owned BMW's, Landrovers, Jaguars etc and have no issues with the handling or performance (for a 2 litre car). Economy wise with mainly city running I have averaged 8.3 litres per 100km (34 mpg imperial) and on the open road in the low 7's per 100km. The Android Auto is excellent allowing me to use Google Maps or Waze Maps on the large touch screen. Also texts are read aloud to me and I can respond easily. Google Voice searches and questions work well just like on the phone via a button on the steering wheel. Overdrive audio books work seamlessly along with Podcasts with the info coming up on the large screen.
First service just completed cost $333 dollars under the service plan. Absolutely zero issues in the first year and remember I am fussy!

Rear hatch space is a little restricted with the blind in place due to the full size spare tyre (some may say a fair trade off).
Rear camera works well, ventilation system is good, visibility is great, dont hesitate buy one, I love it!

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Still going strong

My XV was bought in 2012 when it first released in Australia. I was one of the lucky ones to drive the first shipment stock. After 6 years of driving it around, it still going strong without any machinically issue. It is so reliable that I decided not to upgrade it to the second generation XV. The CVT works very well with the 2.0 engine. I never use it for any towing so the CVT and 2.0 engine are just perfect for my daily urban travel and sometimes rural adventures. I guess my biggest dislike is the price to update the GPS but it is no big deal as Google Map is always there in my phone.

Date PurchasedMay 2012

Love it

Fantastic.. so much fun to drive. This is my 4th Subaru and I wont buy anything else, each one has surpassed the last. the vehicle is comfortable and roomy with all the options you could want. Most complaints I see are that they are short on power. Drive it like you stole it...... that's how they like to be driven. If you keep the revs up, there is plenty of power there for a 4 cylinder / 2 litre vehicle.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

2018 XV top of the range S Series,6K on the clock in 4weeks.

Mountains, hills, freeway, off-road, dirt corrugated tracks, car parks, pancake flat irrigation country, city peak ,CBD ,snow, rain, hail, flood, mud ,rocks, sand, gravel, dust and the tar all across SE Australia.-Sweet! .No issues. Relaxed driving. What more can you ask of a vehicle and with a 5 year warranty!
5.9-6.6 Litre /100 k Country, 7.7-8.2 City, 4WD off road 8.5-9.
Great all around car. Not a race car by any stretch, but more than capable with 21st century ergonomics and safety.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

My 2012 Subaru XV is tomorrow getting it’s 3rd engine in less than 50,000km. I brought the car new and have nothing but issues - never again. I guess my question here is has anyone else had as much drama??
why has it been replaced each time? Mine had an oil leak under warranty needing to remove the engine to resell the cam carriers. After that it had a ticking noise that was found to be a bent camshaft. Engine out again and new camshaft installed. Now running well at 80,000 kmsWe bought our 2012 Subaru XV in March 2015. It ran like a charm, clocking up 110,000 ks without a hitch until four weeks ago when it shuddered, lost power intermittently and flashed about four different messages reporting engine trouble. We've been waiting all this time for the problem to be diagnosed, and now onto our third hire car at great cost. We bought Subaru on the expectation of reliability and thought we were winning the game. Nooooot sooo. We are waiting for some satisfactory answers Subaru!

I'd like to hear from others who have had failed CVT transmissions in their XV and whether Subaru has repaired these or what course of action you took.
I've just lost the transmission valve body, which may be up to a 3500 replacement job. The first two things I mentioned were ACCC and fair trading. Subaru are finding out whether it can be resolved under any special arrangement, and we've seen articles about extended warranties in the USA for an array of issues with CVT, including very specific comments about this problem. Just the latest issue amongst many. Update: Not having anything free as it's not under warranty. Estimate is 1.8k.Hi, we have been without our Subaru 2014 XVS for over 2 months waiting for Subaru to look into the cvt transmission failure. We have been to Fair Trading and the transmission has now been sent away for a diagnosis. The car is still under Warranty. Subaru Moss Vale NSW have been of no help whatsoever dispite us having owned many Subaru’s previously. Anyone else please advise?!Apparently, Subaru don't build their own transmission any more. This is particularly interesting when smaller parts like a single solenoid on the valve body fail. I was referred to a transmission specialist by the dealer, who says instead of purchasing a si.ple part, the entire valve body assembly needs to be replaced. (1800). Your repair costs should be covered under warranty, though. I figure if you want a car you can rely on, get a different brand next time.

Hi.. i just noticed now that my 2017 XV’s rear wheels are not centered . Both wheels are more positioned front, the gap of the wheel against the chassis wheel curve is narrower on the front. Is this normal? I see othe 4WD SUVS REAR wheels are dead centre .- Edgar
Obviously you should ask Subaru

XV G5X 2.0iXV G5X 2.0i-LXV G5X 2.0i-SXV G5X 2.0i PremiumXV G4X 2.0iXV G4X 2.0i-LXV G4X 2.0i-S
Release dateJun 2017Jun 2017Jun 2017Jun 2017Jan 2015Jan 2015Jan 2015